Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Oil cooler/warmer removal.............

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Bigalow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
that's reasonable. welding doesn't come for cheap! My Lincoln Inverter tig is worth over $3000.

you may be able to get it done for less by checking around though. You never know when you will come across a welder in need of some coin!
FINALLY DONE READING.

Anyway, +1, check CRAIGSLIST for skilled workers. The economy has hit everywhere and I'm sure you'll be able to find an experienced welder in need of work. As a matter of fact, I just contacted a 'mobile' welder that offered to weld at my place. Thats fantastic as my car is apart and I have other convience mods that I'm interested in.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Bigalow

Alright, I just took out the pipes - Engines in the car.

To remove the stock oil cooler pipes. I had to loosen up the A/C unit to get to the little screw holding pipe -

By far the hardest screw was the (R) lower one holding up the stock rear coolant pipe. I had to use various extensions/different positions to find room to torque my ratchet.

PIPES w/ Pathfinder at top.

There was a sensor (BLUE) attached to the stock piece. I imagine that I can re-locate it to the pathfinder pipe (to the left of the big openning)

Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Bigalow

Update:

Removing the coolant pipes weren't as big as a hassle as getting the pathfinder’s by-pass unit in place.

After hours of fiddling around, I decided to simply loosen up my fuel lines and remove my intake manifold. To my surprise my intake gaskets were blown. I'll have to get a replacement from Nissan tomorrow.

Intake mani w/ blown gaskets. I could smell fluid and see residue built up in the air cylinders. I'm not sure why the black material started rubbing off and coating the cylinder walls.

Rear Coolant location exposed (GREEN). Notice the filth the intake gaskets left on the intake cylinder walls.

PF coolant pipe installed.

Another problem I encountered was getting the stock water temp sensor secured. I suggest anyone utilizing the PF's location ensure that the sensor is perpendicular to the pipe (i.e. with the clip point face away from the (R) engine head as shown).

Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also removed all the oil cooler/warmer lines and install my version of the HR setup.

Name:  tn_IMG_1253.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  tn_IMG_1232.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  tn_IMG_1363.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  70.7 KB
Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 PM
skakemokid

^PART NUMBERS please!!!!
That looks reallly cool..
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to go thru there also with the HR rear pipe, but I wasn't sure if it would clear my front throttle body setup.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 AM
Bigalow

Originally Posted by accordfreak
I also removed all the oil cooler/warmer lines and install my version of the HR setup.

If I would've known how this worked and operated then I would've gone that route. I like how you can still connect the heater.

It doesn't look like you're accessing the pathfinder rear cylinder by-pass location. I suppose it doesn't matter since you're flowing coolant directly from the heads to the RAD anyways. Great setup!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:35 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the whole idea behind the PF mod was to get coolant to flow directly to the rear of the heads through the passage under the intake. I'm not sure how this mod helps that
Old 03-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Bigalow

Originally Posted by Cass007
I thought the whole idea behind the PF mod was to get coolant to flow directly to the rear of the heads through the passage under the intake. I'm not sure how this mod helps that
That's a common misconception. The fact of the matter is that hot coolant escapes the block quicker. The PF mod within itself is useless IMO. You have to also eliminate a lot of those by-pass lines that this thread basically talking about. Does it help NA cars? Probably a little. Does it help F/I? Yeah.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigalow
Does it help F/I? Yeah.
You sound like you have taken accurate temperature measurements. Can you share them to show conclusively that this helps?

I never measured my temps before, so please post your definitive data.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Bigalow

Originally Posted by str8dum1
You sound like you have taken accurate temperature measurements. Can you share them to show conclusively that this helps?

I never measured my temps before, so please post your definitive data.
No 'accurate' temps have been taken, bud. My pic above indicate that I haven't finished with this mod.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by accordfreak
I really like this setup, im going to have to look into this for my build.

What all did you have to delete from that stock hardline? i know the oil warmer, anything else. My only problem is im not sure where i could feed my pass side turbo from, it has a Tee Fitting where the stock bleeder used to be right now.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
accordfreak

I did the HR setup because i wanted to utilize wasted space in the middle of the motor. It would also be easier to work on the passenger side, manifold, turbo etc if i had to without removing any coolant lines.

here's a 5 year old draw up of what i had planned

you need to cut the HR rear pipe in half ,bolt on the two halves on the block and reweld it since it is wider. Also, the pipe that goes down the middle, the end piece needs to be cut off and a 1 1/2 in straight pipe needs to be welded to go through the hole.

I also sanded the rough casting of the engine block hole to be smooth so it doesn't make a hole in the coolant pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Oil cooler/warmer removal.............-new-coolant-setup1.jpg  

Last edited by accordfreak; 03-21-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 AM
Bigalow

Hey, I forgot to mention, for those of you doing this mod.

You'll have to cut either your pathfinder log or the stock coolant pipe to make it fit poperly (I cut the stock gold coolant pipe). Also, I choose the HR thermastat so if anyone is using the HR stat then USE THE HR BOLTS. Avoid using the DE bolts as mentioned above.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 PM
omsin523

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I believe a engine would be fine without it. Remember that this oil cooler/warmer is only on the 03-05 models - Nissan dropped it from the 06+ cars.
Just want to verify, that the factory oil cooler/warmer is on 03-06 and not on 07+. My car is an 06 and has it. But not sure if the 06 rev-up has it or not im assuming it does though.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

No 'accurate' temps have been taken, bud. My pic above indicate that I haven't finished with this mod.
So how do you know what's a common misconception and what isn't when you have no data? Just asking...
Old 05-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Bigalow

Originally Posted by rcdash
So how do you know what's a common misconception and what isn't when you have no data? Just asking...
this:

Originally Posted by Cass007
I thought the whole idea behind the PF mod was to get coolant to flow directly to the rear of the heads through the passage under the intake.
That's a common misconception. The fact of the matter is that hot coolant escapes the block quicker.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:43 PM
lemmiwinkz

^^ after reading through this whole thread, this makes no sense. from what i understand there is no exit for coolant at the back of the block so they came up with the pathfinder mod, correct? how does the HR mod fix this? just because the coolant gets hot means that it can flow backwards against the stream? i would think that the more efficient way to get the coolant out would be to have an actual exit but maybe thats just me. please explain more
Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 AM
bikinilust

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lemmiwinkz
from what i understand there is no exit for coolant at the back of the block so they came up with the pathfinder mod, correct?
There is a coolant exit at the back of the engine on both passenger side and driver side [either on the head or the block/i forget]

pathfinder mod is a means to release hot coolant via the rear cylinders

how does the HR mod fix this?
Nissan prob implemented the center exit coolant pipe on the HR because the of the dual TB

DE guys are doing this for either aesthetics and/or to have more room on the passenger side of the engine for turbos and what not

just because the coolant gets hot means that it can flow backwards against the stream?
No
Old 06-12-2011, 11:04 AM
bikinilust

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you are still having trouble understanding the paths which the coolant flows, somewhere in this thread there is a coolant flow chart

Quick Reply: Oil cooler/warmer removal.............