Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Oil cooler/warmer removal.............

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I took my coolant and heater pipes to an experienced welder (17 yrs experience) to have him grind off and weld up the holes left by all the nipples I removed. I also had him weld up -8AN fittings for the radiator bypass hose.

The problem came from the heater and coolant pipes (the gold pipes on either side of the block). He's not sure what typeof alloy those pipes are made from, and whether he tried MIG or TIG welded on those pipes, there was some wierd off-gassing that was causing "porosity" in the welds.

Does anyone have any tips in regards to welding on those gold pipes? anyone know what nissan di to those pipes? I have heard of others having issues with welding on these pipes in the past, but I just assumed it was due to an inexperienced welder.

I have had the zinc plated pipes TIG welded with no issues. It could have to do with what filler he was using or he simply didn't clean the metal enough. I took mine to a wire brush for a long time to get rid of all the coolant residue.

Last edited by Quamen; 02-08-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
MADScientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wire brushed mine and MIG welded them. No issues at all, just had to grind them flat to make them pretty...
Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you both pressure tested it yet. we were getting some pin holes under high pressure after welding it up...
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
have you both pressure tested it yet. we were getting some pin holes under high pressure after welding it up...
I have not tested mine yet.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:12 AM
MADScientist

Been running it like that for over a year now and (knock on wood) no leaks yet
Old 02-08-2008, 05:20 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
I have had the zinc plated pipes TIG welded with no issues. It could have to do with what filler he was using or he simply didn't clean the metal enough. I took mine to a wire brush for a long time to get rid of all the coolant residue.
Same here, and we have done this on a few cars with no leaks.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:57 AM
xlr8r

Any pictures of the welds? I'm trying to decide how to best go about doing it.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:12 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll get pics as soon as I get the pipes back.........probably tomorrow evening.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:27 AM
NETSHARK

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...AD_GASKETS.pdf

I was checking the Coolant Systems Diagram PDF by JWT which includes the Diagram of the 2000-04 R50 Pathfinder VQ35DE it shows the Coolant Bypass Modification For FI Guys, anyway this is not the main subject the main idea is take a closer look at the Digram and check the Oil Cooler in the Pathfinder its shown that the Oil Cooler is only for AT Models, so if you use some parts from a Manual Transmission Pathfinder, they will save the headache of the Oil Cooler Removal Process by replacing the parts by Genuine Nissan Parts, I HOPE that the Hard Coolant Pipe for the Pathfinder is the same as the G/Z VQ35DE :1

so what do you guys think ?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:53 AM
QuadCam

nice link. I like the info on how to make the HR head gaskets work on the DE.....interesting stuff.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:25 PM
QuadCam

I got the pipes back from the welder. He was not happy with how they turned out, but he's pretty sure they won't have any pinhole leaks. He thinks he may have a bad tank of gas (argon or argon/CO2), and that is what was causing the issues. any ways, he's some camera phone pics. As part of the oil cooler/warmer removal, I am also removing the the nipples/lines for the throttle body warmer and all the other small coolant lines. Additionally, I had -8AN fittings welded up on the coolant pipe and the heater pipe for the coolant bypass line. I haven't decided what I want to do with this yet. I may run a -8AN braided line behind the engine to make this coolant bypass more attractive, or I may just keep it capped off. You can see the -8AN Caps in the pics. I still have to have all these parts powdercoated gloss black before they get installed................

I almost forgot to thank Jeremy (Audible Mayhem) and Larry (JetPilot) for giving me the extra pipes and thermostat for my experiments! Thanks guys!

Last edited by QuadCam; 02-10-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Quamen

I got the pipes back from the welder. He was not happy with how they turned out, but he's pretty sure they won't have any pinhole leaks. He thinks he may have a bad tank of gas (argon or argon/CO2), and that is what was causing the issues. any ways, he's some camera phone pics. As part of the oil cooler/warmer removal, I am also removing the the nipples/lines for the throttle body warmer and all the other small coolant lines. Additionally, I had -8AN fittings welded up on the coolant pipe and the heater pipe for the coolant bypass line. I haven't decided what I want to do with this yet. I may run a -8AN braided line behind the engine to make this coolant bypass more attractive, or I may just keep it capped off. You can see the -8AN Caps in the pics. I still have to have all these parts powdercoated gloss black before they get installed................

I almost forgot to thank Jeremy (Audible Mayhem) and Larry (JetPilot) for giving me the extra pipes and thermostat for my experiments! Thanks guys!

Looks good!

I really like your use of the NPT plugs!! Super clean IMO.

I actually finished my side coolant pipe today right next to the thermostat. I talked to my welder today and he stated that some of what you guys have been seeing could be do to the brazing material that Nissan uses on some of the pipes and that they are not not allowing enough time to burn it off.

Since I just got the pipe welded today and mentioned this to him he payed close attention to it. He said he could notice pin holes if he went quicker and didn't allow the metal to sweat out the crap from the coolant/brazing. all of my pipes look just fine though and I will be testing them very soon.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Quamen

Lol. It looks like you welded a -10an weld bung onto that pipe and put a cap on it just like I did.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM
QuadCam

I went with -8AN fittings on the pipes. -10AN would have been better, but I was worried that a -10AN bung would be too hard to weld onto the heater pipe.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Quamen

I went with -8AN fittings on the pipes. -10AN would have been better, but I was worried that a -10AN bung would be too hard to weld onto the heater pipe.
I milled mine down a bit so that I had clearance between the fitting and the other pipe. It turned out really nice. Should have pictures in my thread this week once I finish installing my other parts.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:27 AM
QuadCam

Check this out!!!! Looks like Nissan has put an end to the debate over whether the stock oil cooler/warmer is necessary on the VQ35DE........ Here's a pic, from the service manual, from a VQ35HR.......NO OIL COOLER! What I really like is that I can now buy a factory piece of threaded rod to connect my oil filter to the block. I just ordered the part that I have highlighted with a red box. Hopefully, I'll have it next week, and I'll post up the part number when I get it.

Name:  VQ35HRoilpan.jpg
Views: 2371
Size:  53.8 KB
Old 02-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have these on sale at Performance Factory now for ONLY $129.00 !!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:44 AM
QuadCam

Does that come with any free stuff, like a "ShamWow!"
Old 02-15-2008, 04:45 AM
Quamen

Can I get three????
Old 02-15-2008, 06:15 AM
xlr8r

Check this out!!!! Looks like Nissan has put an end to the debate over whether the stock oil cooler/warmer is necessary on the VQ35DE........ Here's a pic, from the service manual, from a VQ35HR.......NO OIL COOLER! What I really like is that I can now buy a factory piece of threaded rod to connect my oil filter to the block. I just ordered the part that I have highlighted with a red box. Hopefully, I'll have it next week, and I'll post up the part number when I get it.
Nice find, I was wondering if HR's had Oil Coolers or not because from the pictures I've seen of them the hose routing is much cleaner. Now I know why.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler/warmer removal.............