Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

MRC Motorpsorts new crank shaft..

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MRC Motorpsorts new crank shaft..

After having one of our old crank shafts magna fluxed to check for cracks, we discovered 3 cracks in the rod journals. We recently had a new crank Cryo'd, knife edged and polished..
For those of you who do not know, Chryo is is a prosess of freezing the crank to super cool sub zero temepratures, where the molecular compound of the metal changes. This is supposed to make the part about 30% stronger..We shall see about that.
We also decided to have the crank knife edged while we were getting it balanced and polished. The knife edge may increase the efficiency of the cranks ability to cut through the oil in the upper oil pan, thus eleviating some reciprocating mass and freeing up some power and enabeling for higher revs. This process is used in lots of pro stock cars as well as Nascar.. We wanted to be different, so what the heck..Were always trying new things..

Old 03-18-2008, 05:07 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

looks awesome!!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:32 PM
JDSMotoring
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i saw this in person and yes it truly is awesome
Old 03-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Jonny Boy

Looks really nice. I will definatly keep posted on any updates and cant wait to see what if any differences it will make. Nice job.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I had looked into cryo treating components on my build, but decided against it. I was fearful of making the crank more brittle. Any thoughts?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:54 PM
plumpzz

I'm pretty sure it doesn't make it stronger unless the cryotreatment is done during the annealing of the original cast
Old 03-18-2008, 07:20 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Zivman
I had looked into cryo treating components on my build, but decided against it. I was fearful of making the crank more brittle. Any thoughts?
I'm very curious about this also
Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is always a trade off when heat treatments or, in this case, cryo treatments. Finding the right balance of strength to toughness is the key.

Please keep us informed on how this crank ends up performing!!! It's always great to see people trying new things!
Old 03-18-2008, 08:18 PM
saberphx

Looks awesome, can I have one for free?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:04 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by saberphx
Looks awesome, can I have one for free?
If you have a 19 year old hot girlfriend to donate to us, then YES..Yes you can.. Or cake..I can has cake?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:09 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Zivman
Well, Cryo Treating has been done with great results for some time on alot of race applications. We will see if the crank shatters into a million pieces at 8000 rpms. although that would be pretty cool to see the aftermath of that..
What alot of poeple dont understand is that the atoms in materials are contantly at motion and moving around bouncing off of one another. The Cryo treatment slows down the atoms and rearranges them, which solidifies the material. At least, thats what I got from the long winded explenation...I could be wrong
Old 03-19-2008, 04:19 AM
96sleeper

Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
After having one of our old crank shafts magna fluxed to check for cracks, we discovered 3 cracks in the rod journals. We recently had a new crank Cryo'd, knife edged and polished..
For those of you who do not know, Chryo is is a prosess of freezing the crank to super cool sub zero temepratures, where the molecular compound of the metal changes. This is supposed to make the part about 30% stronger..We shall see about that.
30% stronger is a little far-fetched. It varies from material to material because all it is doing is changing the metal's crystalline structure from austenite into martensite which is a more refined grain structure. It increases wear resistance and actually reduces brittleness and reduces the residual stress from the original process. The increase in strength is marginal at best, probably less than 10%.
That being said I still believe in it and have done it on several engine parts with good results so far.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:22 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Julian, what would you say the mean operating temperature of the engine would be...specifically around the crank shaft?

http://www.finishing.com/340/78.shtml Stuff about cyrogenics...the first really long post is good from a materials engineering perspective.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
Julian, what would you say the mean operating temperature of the engine would be...specifically around the crank shaft?
No clue.

Coolant temp varies from 180F to 210F average, and Oil temp from 180-230F also..I would assume gigher than those numbers, since the fluids are being circulated through coolers to keep them at that temperature.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by 96sleeper
30% stronger is a little far-fetched. It varies from material to material because all it is doing is changing the metal's crystalline structure from austenite into martensite which is a more refined grain structure. It increases wear resistance and actually reduces brittleness and reduces the residual stress from the original process. The increase in strength is marginal at best, probably less than 10%.
That being said I still believe in it and have done it on several engine parts with good results so far.
Im just going by what I have read and been told on Cryo. This will be my first experience with it.
I also dont know how they come up with the 30% numbers, do they test the breaking point of materials prior to and after the cryo? I would guess..
Old 03-19-2008, 05:14 AM
XKR

Im just going by what I have read and been told on Cryo. This will be my first experience with it.
I also dont know how they come up with the 30% numbers, do they test the breaking point of materials prior to and after the cryo? I would guess..

NASA uses that process on some of their parts.... so i am a believer
Old 03-19-2008, 05:35 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Looks awesome.

If you have a 19 year old hot girlfriend to donate to us, then YES..Yes you can.. Or cake..I can has cake?
Flying out to east Europe shortly.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Julian,

Looks great - just wondering if you considered the GTM crank? (Or is this an incorrect application for that part - forgive my ignorance; have not read too much about replacing the crank).

Thanks.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-19-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

(subscribing for results)

looks good J
Old 03-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Julian,

Looks great - just wondering if you considered the GTM crank? (Or is this an incorrect application for that part - forgive my ignorance; have not read too much about replacing the crank).

Thanks.

GTM crank is big money and I think the lead time to get one is a little bit excessive. Maybe GTM can chime in with specifics

Quick Reply: MRC Motorpsorts new crank shaft..