Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: Utec VS. Haltech, which one gets your vote?
Utec
18.52%
Haltech
81.48%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Utec or Haltech EMS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Midnight Ryderz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude i have used both and by far the Haltech is ALOT better and is alot mroe tuneable so i think you shoudl go with the haltech you won't regreat it the utec isn't as nice and its not a tunable so i wish you luck
Old 03-22-2008, 07:10 PM
citymunky

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
UTEC, for the price, is a decent EMS. However, given that you said price is not a concern, Haltech is much, much better.

Even if price is a concern, I would say go slightly cheaper in some other area, and get the Haltech.
+1, if price is no concern.

Standalones >> Piggy-backs
Old 03-22-2008, 07:14 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The poll and thread are flawed; you are comparing two completely dissimilar EMs, in both features and price . If price is no object as you stated , then the choice is clearly Haltech. It has the control of the Fcon without the disadvantage of the locked format.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:27 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
The poll and thread are flawed; you are comparing two completely dissimilar EMs, in both features and price . If price is no object as you stated , then the choice is clearly Haltech. It has the control of the Fcon without the disadvantage of the locked format.
I'm not very familiar with either one, since I'm just now going FI. I am asking for feedback from those that have used them. Just because the answer has come out clearly that in general people feel the Haltech is better, doesn't mean the question was flawed. If I asked if you'd prefer a Lamborghini or a Pinto and I didn't know about either one, it would still be important for me to ask for feedback before I made the purchase.

Thanks for the feedback though. It sounds that the Haltech is superior. What I'm mostly concerned about is that someone thought the Haltech would make me lose the dash for some reason. It doesn't sound like that will be the case.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

You will not lose the dash running the Haltech

Originally Posted by mrg1981
I'm not very familiar with either one, since I'm just now going FI. I am asking for feedback from those that have used them. Just because the answer has come out clearly that in general people feel the Haltech is better, doesn't mean the question was flawed. If I asked if you'd prefer a Lamborghini or a Pinto and I didn't know about either one, it would still be important for me to ask for feedback before I made the purchase.

Thanks for the feedback though. It sounds that the Haltech is superior. What I'm mostly concerned about is that someone thought the Haltech would make me lose the dash for some reason. It doesn't sound like that will be the case.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Since you have a revup, you might get the P0011 and P0021 SES lights, since the Haltech is controlling the cam timing and the stock ECU is seeing different cam readings than it is expecting, but it is not a problem
Old 03-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

UTEC hiccups at 13+psi

Some people like Jet may not drive in a manner that makes it do that, but the way I drive-with lots of getting into boost for a split second then shifting the UTEC hiccups, and its temperature compensation is a joke. Adjusting the FPR for A/F works, but then the smoothness gets even worse part throttle throwing off the tune even more. Ive driven FCON's, UTEC's and a Haltech car. UTEC = last place.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
InZomniac

It is not a revup, 06 verts are non revup
Old 03-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Havok_RLS2

If I didn't already have the UTEC with the tuner I'd be all over the Haltech EMS. TurboSX seems to have very poor product support on there systems regarding updates to Firmware or the GUI that they promised a year ago.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 AM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

piggy-back vs. standalone. no comparison!

HALTECH! > utec
Old 03-24-2008, 10:27 AM
BabyZiLLa

Utec isn't even in the same league. Hell I picked Osiris Uprev over Utec. The Utec too me has too many unresolved issues with what seems like no desire from TurboXS to fix them.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 AM
mrg1981

OK, it sounds like there is no comparison.

What about the PRO-EFI vs. Haltech vs. FCon? Those are the three that have been recommended to me as I've started looking more closely at the EMS options.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 AM
BabyZiLLa

OK, it sounds like there is no comparison.

What about the PRO-EFI vs. Haltech vs. FCon? Those are the three that have been recommended to me as I've started looking more closely at the EMS options.
Now your talking all very capable EMS. Who is tuning the car? If its you or if you ever want any end user tuneability, cross FCon off the list.

If its not you. I would talk to your tuner and ask him what he'd prefer. Best EMS is only as good as the guy tuning it.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 AM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
Now your talking all very capable EMS. Who is tuning the car? If its you or if you ever want any end user tuneability, cross FCon off the list.

If its not you. I would talk to your tuner and ask him what he'd prefer. Best EMS is only as good as the guy tuning it.

I will either use Intense Motorsports for the Pro-EFI or Tim at Exact Dyno for the Haltech. I don't know for sure about an FCon tuner. Chris (Inzomniac) is taking me to Intense today to discuss their Pro-EFI. I haven't heard much about it, but they are local and Chris knows his stuff. If anyone has any feedback on the Pro-EFI vs. Haltech, I grealy appreciate it. Thanks for all the feedback thus far!

BTW, I will never be tuning it or even attempting to tweak anything with it. I will take it back to my tuner if it ever needs something done to it.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Abishop
Its really nice having the options of three or four maps and boost levels.

But, i would say with the problems people are having with the utec and TurboXS's lack of updating the utec, go haltech.
I'm amazed people still don't understand that the UTEC, as well as all the standalones, can make adjustments based on metered boost levels. You don't have to retune to simply raise or lower the boost. Just make sure you dyno tune for the highest boost level you intend to run and you're good to go.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 AM
InZomniac

Field Trip W00h00!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

I will either use Intense Motorsports for the Pro-EFI or Tim at Exact Dyno for the Haltech. I don't know for sure about an FCon tuner. Chris (Inzomniac) is taking me to Intense today to discuss their Pro-EFI. I haven't heard much about it, but they are local and Chris knows his stuff. If anyone has any feedback on the Pro-EFI vs. Haltech, I grealy appreciate it. Thanks for all the feedback thus far!

BTW, I will never be tuning it or even attempting to tweak anything with it. I will take it back to my tuner if it ever needs something done to it.

Talked to chris earlier today ... have fun in the tour later, you will make the right choice
Old 03-24-2008, 11:14 AM
taurran

You cannot tune your own Pro-EFI. It has to be taken to an authorized tuner for it to be adjusted. Sure, they say it can adjust for variations in boost and other modifications out there, but so can the other full stand alone EMS's! All it's taking that base map and extrapolating it based on preset variables input by the tuner. The Haltech and FCON do this as well. The selling point so far for the ProEFI seems to be that it can do this "better" based on a more advanced processor, which I'm still waiting to see proof of.

The BIG difference in the Haltech is it allows the end user FULL control of tuning. If you live in an area that doesn't have ProEFI or HKS certified tuners, this is the standlone to go with. Also, if you want to tune it yourself, it's your only option. The tuning GUI is extremely robust and user friendly. It can adjust for changes in boost, tempurature, or elevation as well.

Well, that's just my take. If the ProEFI really does anything dramatically new please let me know.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Craig-I take it you like your Haltech?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:41 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
You cannot tune your own Pro-EFI. It has to be taken to an authorized tuner for it to be adjusted. Sure, they say it can adjust for variations in boost and other modifications out there, but so can the other full stand alone EMS's! All it's taking that base map and extrapolating it based on preset variables input by the tuner. The Haltech and FCON do this as well. The selling point so far for the ProEFI seems to be that it can do this "better" based on a more advanced processor, which I'm still waiting to see proof of.

The BIG difference in the Haltech is it allows the end user FULL control of tuning. If you live in an area that doesn't have ProEFI or HKS certified tuners, this is the standlone to go with. Also, if you want to tune it yourself, it's your only option. The tuning GUI is extremely robust and user friendly. It can adjust for changes in boost, tempurature, or elevation as well.

Well, that's just my take. If the ProEFI really does anything dramatically new please let me know.

why would that be a big difference to you....the problem with giving full control is that you can get the same thing that happens with the AEM...people being dump trying to act as if they knew what they were doing it, messing up the tune and blowing engines and then blaming it on the EMS....
No sense in having full access if all the end user should be changing are small tuning changes, change boost level, launch rpm, antilag, and similar settings; which the proefi gives you the abilites to do.
If you think proefi claim its better because of the better hardware only then you are highly mistaken and talking more than your really know...you forgot about features that really matter...adaptive learning... direct fire ignition...true volumetric efficiency...oem quality hardware, etc.

I know you are going to be all hard on the haltech since you just spend good money on it and you will do anything you can to justify that but you should know more about the other options rather than just say "The selling point so far for the ProEFI seems to be that it can do this "better" based on a more advanced processor, which I'm still waiting to see proof of."

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 03-24-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Utec or Haltech EMS?