Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: Utec VS. Haltech, which one gets your vote?
Utec
18.52%
Haltech
81.48%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Utec or Haltech EMS?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
Youve talked to chris@sp about the unit already, i though you knew all this stuff
I did, but then realized what they're marketing is nothing more than the normal ECU making adjustments but given the ability to overwrite a tuner's maps. I still considered the ProEFI unit as it looks good if you don't mind sacrificing an element of control, and have a dealer close by if you feel like turning the power up a notch.

The overbearing fanboy marketing machine was a bit of a turnoff, though.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by taurran
Hmm.. like having PF as your avatar, a huge link to PF banner w/ link in your signature, with the words "Performance Factory" right above it? Touche sir.

Darren(calls it as he sees it)
Old 03-24-2008, 06:01 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
Hmm.. like having PF as your avatar, a huge link to PF banner w/ link in your signature, with the words "Performance Factory" right above it? Touche sir.

Darren(calls it as he sees it)
I have yet to say, "Go down to Performance Factory and buy a VK56DE swap".

Oops, I just did...

I could really care less what people buy though, as long as they don't stifle forum discussion with marketing ploys. (oh, and I designed both the banner and the avatar)
Old 03-24-2008, 06:06 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

I did, but then realized what they're marketing is nothing more than the normal ECU making adjustments but given the ability to overwrite a tuner's maps. I still considered the ProEFI unit as it looks good if you don't mind sacrificing an element of control, and have a dealer close by if you feel like turning the power up a notch.

interesting that this comes from you....
a marketing ploy is somethign you dont have even a dyno sheet or picture of the product to show for... u probably remember about that stage2, then you later found out all you had to do to get your car to be the beast it is now . I think you did a good job with the look of you banner in your zip btw

But lets ignore that , becuase you are going to take the thread OT, if you dont like me so be it... but i dont expect you to make a decition because of that.....right?. You just were in your post earlier with assuming someting without hearing it well... or really understanding well and i was correcting.
And just so you know the other EMSs do have O2 feedback control but NOT adaptive learning. The difference is that those units rely on the O2 sensor to make corrections but do not learn from this. They will continue to make the same mistakes time after time. The ProEFI unit will continually update its map so that those mistakes do not happen again just like the factory computer

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 03-24-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 PM
taurran

interesting that this comes from you....

But lets ignore that , becuase you are going to take the thread OT, if you dont like me so be it... but i dont expect you to make a decition because of that.....right?. You just were in your post earlier with assuming someting without hearing it well... or really understanding well and i was correcting.
And just so you know the other EMSs do have O2 feedback control but NOT adaptive learning. The difference is that those units rely on the O2 sensor to make corrections but do not learn from this. They will continue to make the same mistakes time after time. The ProEFI unit will continually update its map so that those mistakes do not happen again just like the factory computer!!!
I know, buddy. You know I'm constantly trying to sell turbonetics kits!

You don't need to continue paste other people's info to tell me this. It's not a difficult concept to understand - just as it's not difficult to understand that there is no replacement for a nice professional custom tune [that can adjust for changes in boost levels and atmospheric conditions].
Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM
IIQuickSilverII

I know, buddy. You know I'm constantly trying to sell turbonetics kits!

You don't need to continue paste other people's info to tell me this. It's not a difficult concept to understand - just as it's not difficult to understand that there is no replacement for a nice professional custom tune [that can adjust for changes in boost levels and atmospheric conditions].

Since you have shown no good knowledge on the proefi, and apparently didn't read well the proefi thread,so i am just helping you remember bud . Your comments/questions has already been answered and responded...interesting you dont seem you remmember much of it... yet you said you read and learned all well.....it reminds me when you said how easy/simple/norocket science building a turbo kit is, yet you later understood that while... the concept on all turbo kits are the same, its not that simple to do a proper R&D on a baller turbo kit...It can be time consuming

And again i agree with you: a perfect tune is a perfect tune...

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 03-24-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:30 PM
taurran

Since you have shown no good knowledge on the proefi, and apparently didnt read well the proefi thread, i am just helping you out remember . Your comments/questions has already been answered and responded...interesting you dont seem you remmember much of it... yet you said you read and learned all well.....it reminds me when you said how easy/simple/norocket science building a turbo kit is, yet you later understoor that while... the concept on all turbo kits are the same, its not that simple but rather complicated to do a proper R&D on a turbo kit...

And again i agree with you: a perfect tune is a perfect tune...
You never proved anything to me in this thread other than your ability to copy and paste. It's not about knowledge, either, but rather what is being marketed to the masses and touted as "revolutionary". But, well, whatever. You are the pwnage sir!

Nah, R&D on a turbo kit is not difficult at all. A halfway skilled welder with enough piping and spare time could "R&D" one with no issues. However, paying someone to weld it all together perfectly is a different story. So, stop jumping to conclusions. Anyway, you just took the thread off-topic as you stated you didn't want to do.

I feel this conversation has run its course. Good luck on the sales.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:31 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was in a toss up between the pro-efi and the haltech before i purchased the haltech about 5 weeks ago. the pro-efi sounds very promissing when it comes available and the bugs worked out.
the haltech though has so far been an awesome piece with a motec like interface and ease of tuning. the updates have still been fairily consistant as to when they said they would be available, but the (hopefully soon) firmware update for the traction control via boost is what got me excited about it.
the guy tuning my car is very well known around the world (shall remain nameless in this thread) and doing beta testing with the pro-efi. due to my timeline, haltech was the choice!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:44 PM
IIQuickSilverII

You never proved anything to me in this thread other than your ability to copy and paste. It's not about knowledge, either, but rather what is being marketed to the masses and touted as "revolutionary". But, well, whatever. You are the pwnage sir!

Nah, R&D on a turbo kit is not difficult at all. A halfway skilled welder with enough piping and spare time could "R&D" one with no issues. However, paying someone to weld it all together perfectly is a different story. So, stop jumping to conclusions. Anyway, you just took the thread off-topic as you stated you didn't want to do.

Just helping you out with the info you missed
and i agree with what i highlighted. Thread isnt off topic since the OP decided on the ems you questioned, i didnt post till incorrect information started being posted...
Just for the record...I really really like the work done by hal and greg on the haltech

have a good night

Originally Posted by overZealous1
i was in a toss up between the pro-efi and the haltech before i purchased the haltech about 5 weeks ago. the pro-efi sounds very promissing when it comes available and the bugs worked out.
the haltech though has so far been an awesome piece with a motec like interface and ease of tuning. the updates have still been fairily consistant as to when they said they would be available, but the (hopefully soon) firmware update for the traction control via boost is what got me excited about it.
the guy tuning my car is very well known around the world (shall remain nameless in this thread) and doing beta testing with the pro-efi. due to my timeline, haltech was the choice!

is mr Reed doing the tunning?

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 03-24-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:57 PM
overZealous1

Just helping you out with the info you missed
and i agree with what i highlighted. Thread isnt off topic since the OP decided on the ems you questioned, i didnt post till incorrect information started being posted...
Just for the record...I really really like the work done by hal and greg on the haltech

is mr Reed doing the tunning?
well that sure didn't stay a secret long, lol. wanted to keep his name out of it due to his work with the pro-efi and experience with the haltech. he agrees the pro-efi is a very nice piece, but just didn't fit into my timeline.

btw- john kicks some azz on the dyno. didn't post up any dyno charts as my first tune with the haltech on a fresh engine was only to about 8 psi, but dam i have never seen such a linear hp and a/f graph before. a/f is so straight it looked like an arrow!! he has the car right now polishing some of the driveability and turning up the boost. next will be for me to fill up the bottle and give her hell!!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:59 PM
IIQuickSilverII

well not that long ago he was in AZ

turning up the boost, fill up the bottle and give her hell WTF!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 PM
IntenseFab
Sponsor
Intense Motorsports

I have yet to say, "Go down to Performance Factory and buy a VK56DE swap".

Oops, I just did...

I could really care less what people buy though, as long as they don't stifle forum discussion with marketing ploys. (oh, and I designed both the banner and the avatar)
Taurran you're a pretty straight forward person, and so am I. And sometimes I read stuff on here that makes me laugh because of how out of wack it is. It's cool to post stuff and insight on things you have purchased, but unless you have worked with it first hand you really don't know what you are talking about. I mean unless you are getting your information from the person who is designing said product at the time. In which he's basically posting through you at that point.

The ProEFI unit is great, and very capable and they are working their hardest to make it the best possible unit on the planet. At this point and time, there are some downsides to it. Which they are taking the feedback very positively. For example people want end-user tunability, and that is one of the major things they are working on right now. So yes in the very short future there will be an end-user tuneable configuration to whatever the dealer feels the end-user should have access too.

Secondly the interface isn't the greatest on the planet but if you are familiar with other tuning devices it would be a breeze. To the first timer he might be a bit confused, but it's nothing a guy with basic knowledge couldn't figure out. Which is another thing they are working on at the moment, and should have a new user interface very shortly.

If you have 100% faith in PF then why is it such a big deal that you need to be able to tune the unit yourself? Why and for what reasons do you need access to it? I've seen this scenario a thousand times and the car comes back blown up w/ different settings in the fuel and timing maps and they say i dunno what happened it just started running bad! When in reality their buddy who says he's a tuning master f'd with the parameters and blew his car up.

One thing I want to point out mainly is that ProEFI will go out of their way for customer happiness, they are a new company and they are trying to make their name big. A company that is already set-in-stone doesn't have much ambition to improve upon an already decent product.

What you should realize is that we have worked w/ nearly every single EMS company out there, and we've worked closely w/ jason s when he was at AEM. We knew there was a better solution and knew that there could be a much better ECU option for the market if we all just collaborated our collective efforts and got it done. Which is what the ProEFI is now. The ProEFI is everything we've wanted for years but never had the means to get it done. It's the "what if i could do this, and I wish it could do that ecu" because it's continuously growing. The firmware of the ECU is constantly updated w/ more things you can control, tune and datalog. Point out an ECU that has a Fuel Pressure Compensation, or 3 stage nitrous control. I could literally go on and on about the benefits to buying a ProEFI unit but this post would be alot longer!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:25 PM
overZealous1

well not that long ago he was in AZ

turning up the boost, fill up the bottle and give her hell WTF!
gunna max out the greddy twins on pump gas, then on race, then add a 100 shot to it also. stock sleeves might hold up just hoping nothing goes through the hood and hurts the new paint!!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:30 PM
accordfreak

gunna max out the greddy twins on pump gas, then on race, then add a 100 shot to it also. stock sleeves might hold up just hoping nothing goes through the hood and hurts the new paint!!

you're still using your one of a kind fuel setup right? just curious as i'm going the same route
Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by accordfreak
you're still using your one of a kind fuel setup right? just curious as i'm going the same route
yuppers. and funny you mention it. we went up to 400rwhp on the stock fuel pump alone with no probs and it was working through the inline walbro too. then we hooked it up after that but didn't tune it much past that as we ran out of time.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

well that sure didn't stay a secret long, lol. wanted to keep his name out of it due to his work with the pro-efi and experience with the haltech. he agrees the pro-efi is a very nice piece, but just didn't fit into my timeline.

btw- john kicks some azz on the dyno. didn't post up any dyno charts as my first tune with the haltech on a fresh engine was only to about 8 psi, but dam i have never seen such a linear hp and a/f graph before. a/f is so straight it looked like an arrow!! he has the car right now polishing some of the driveability and turning up the boost. next will be for me to fill up the bottle and give her hell!!
That's awesome news! There's a reason why John is a Professional EFI dealer

Darrren
Old 03-24-2008, 08:48 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow....started a bit of a battle here. Didn't realize that would happen.

I appreciate the feedback from both sides. While it may have irked both parties to dispute some ideas, it actually really helped me to see it objectively and to consider several aspects not previously considered.

Also, thanks to overZealous1 and foreignsoda for the user reviews of their EMS. That is greatly appreciated.

So it sounds like both the Pro-EFI and the Haltech are great products. I don't hear any discussion about one of the other having problems, just one or the other possibly having a real or imagined advantage. It's like deciding if I want a Ferrari 430 or a Ferrari 599; quite a hard decision, but in the end I'd still be pimpin'.

I have decided on the Pro-EFI, not due to hype or even for features listed on their marketing. The main reason was actually brought up by Taurran a few times. It is vitally important to have a good tune and someone close by if I need help with the tuning/unit. About 15 minutes from my house and 5 minutes from my office is where Pro-EFI is run out of. I met with the owner of Pro-EFI myself today on last minute notice. He answered my questions, gave me some information about the product, and assured me that he would do my tune himself. Nothing could be a better situation than to be tuned and serviced by the owner/developer of the software himself; IMHO. Several times the availability of the product and a good tuner have been mentioned in this thread as problems. I happen to be lucky in that regard, since they are right down the street.

I'll happily give feedback, opinions, experiences, and reviews when It's all said and done. I have no experience with other systems, but if there are problems you'll know about it. If everything works out great, you'll know about that as well.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:56 PM
overZealous1

for sure keep updates going. curious to see how well it can adapt and self-tune. also, john brought up a good point that you can run an ffv sensor into the pro-efi and jump back and forth and even mix e85 and super and the pro-efi will self adjust. pretty cool feature if someone wanted to do it.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL-I wasnt implying you were pushing a product on us. I know you were going to do the Haltech a while back and Im not sure if you did so yet. I wasnt looking into joining the p!ssing match between you and Quicksilver, I really wanted your honest opinion of it if you had indeed installed it. That is all

It's not even that. This forum is just a platform for viral marketing and hype that I'd prefer to question the newest trend from time to time. I've never been here to sell a part to anyone (even a turbo kit), and never really intend to. Sometimes I'd just like to ask questions and play devils advocate.

Remember other fads that were hyped up on these forums that vendors made thousands on before anyone really knew anything about them? (ATI Procharger, Shielded CAS wires, Emanage Ultimate, Kinetix SSV, UTEC, JWT 530bb TT,Crawford Plenum, etc, etc)

People on this forum tend to take the sheep mentality for the most part. They'll spend thousands and thousands of dollars on things based on what a vendor or their group of fans tells them is great.

Will 95% of the people here know the difference between a standalone with "adaptive learning", and a traditional one with a good custom tune? I doubt it. Will 95% of the people on here spend thousands on a standalone because it's hyped up with fancy terms like "adaptive tuning"? Certainly. People forget that the vendors that are here to "inform" you about products are here for a reason - to make money off you.

I still say there's no replacement (yet) for a good custom tune, especially in a place like Florida where conditions rarely, if ever, change.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Last I heard the Haltech does not have active knock control. This IMHO is a major thing for such a high quality and expensive unit not to have. I'd go UTEC just for this reason alone. If Haltech ever adds the active knock control then I will more than likely purchase one. Until then UTEC is just fine.
Many FCON set-ups without the knock amp dont either...if the thresh-hold on the knock is set "loosely" with the UTEC is useless anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Utec or Haltech EMS?