Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Random pictures from powerlabs turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:59 AM
06MagneticZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This kit makes me want to keep my Z.
Good job on the install. Maybe once you are all done someone can edit the thread and put it up as a sticky. Goodluck with the rest of your project. Cant wait for videos of that thing boosting.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Slowly but surely its coming along Jeffie. I remmeber years ago giving you a ride in my TN set-up and you telling me about your previous project car and your doubts on taking that pluge with the Z. Nice to see something different in the area, it should be a fun summer with a variety of set-ups in the Mid-A.

Have you decided who is going to tune it?
alberto i think he said he was talking it to Function to get tuned.... he is doing their fuel return line upgrade i think as well
Old 04-18-2008, 08:40 AM
GolfinZ

Originally Posted by QuadCam
none of the kits on the market are HARD to install. Some just take more time than others and also, having the right tools makes all the difference. If you have just a set of sockets and some wrenches, don't attempt any of these installs.

if you have lots of different sockets sets, extensions, swivels, crows feet, alot of patience, ratcheting wrenches, don't mind scuffing some knuckles, etc....go for a DIY build.
Ya Ive got access to every tool possible, except for a lift. The only thing that would keep me from doing it myself would be building the block and doing the turbo at the same time because if the motor is out then the install would be cheap to have a shop do it. OR I could get a fully built/fully timed motor and "drop it" in as well....
Old 04-18-2008, 02:53 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Slowly but surely its coming along Jeffie. I remmeber years ago giving you a ride in my TN set-up and you telling me about your previous project car and your doubts on taking that pluge with the Z. Nice to see something different in the area, it should be a fun summer with a variety of set-ups in the Mid-A.

Have you decided who is going to tune it?
I remember how your Z felt and it reminded me of my civic, (thats not a bad thing) I wanted to do something like a turbo, but would have rather done another bike then turbo. I picked up my 07 GSX-R1000 last year and now that I have the bike I don't have to think about buying a bike so I went ahead and did the turbo kit as with the body.

AAM is tuning it jk, dave is doing it. and yes I'm running the lines for the fuel return, but dave is going to hook it up, he needs to do something with the fuel pump for the fuel return kit, so I'm going to leave the fuel pump stock till I drive out to function (not boosting of course) He can add the new pump, my 3.3 rear, and tune it.

On another note, Intense called me today, and told me they were overnighting the utec parts to me for a Saturday delivery

If things go as planned, the car should be done this weekend.

still need to mount the boost controller, gauges, and run the fuel line on top of the normal turbo kit stuff.

I'm hoping to put in 1-2 hours in tonight if I'm able to keep quiet, most of that will be adding the needed inlets/outlets to turbo and running the water/oil lines. Just waiting for some pictures from intense, I want to see how they have the fittings installed.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:37 PM
diwun67

Can't wait to see this done Jeffie I remember installing my TN kit over a year ago in my garage, and I actually had fun, but that's because I had some funny *** friends helping as well haha
Old 04-18-2008, 04:27 PM
jeffie7

I just got done doing so far the hardest part of the install.

the oil pan.

my god that thing was a *****.

10 bolts and a lb of liquid gasket. I slightly bent up one corner of it, gonna bend that back before installing it. Even with a putty knife fully inserted into one side of the pan, the oil pan STILL wouldn't come off.

Its weird how the things you think will be the easiest end up turning out to be the hardest.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:49 PM
jeffie7

Just some pictures from tonight.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:26 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange but it looks like you've got the turbo situated upside down. The large port for the oil return should be pointing downward, and the small chrome port (which is the feed) should be on top.
But I'm sure you know this...just looked weird in the pic above.
Good Progress.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:58 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Strange but it looks like you've got the turbo situated upside down. The large port for the oil return should be pointing downward, and the small chrome port (which is the feed) should be on top.
But I'm sure you know this...just looked weird in the pic above.
Good Progress.
You are right. I didn't tighten the stuff down yet, I wanted to check the pictures I have from intense and adjust fittings if needed and take it from there. as it sits, the washers ( ) shaped ones are loose and are just holding everything together. Tomorrow I'm going to rotate it around.

Good eye.

But I'm sure you know this...
Nope I didn't know, I'm really a noob since my last turbo car was built for me. This really is a first time thing for me.

Last edited by jeffie7; 04-18-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:09 AM
taurran

Yeah you can rotate it around like you said. Just be careful that the fins of the wheel aren't contacting the inside of the housings when you rotate it around.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to put a lit pizza delivery sign on the roof and be the sleeper terror of the town.

BTW, do we rate free pizza if we stop by?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 AM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by taurran
Yeah you can rotate it around like you said. Just be careful that the fins of the wheel aren't contacting the inside of the housings when you rotate it around.
When its fully into place the fins dont seem to touch anything.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:11 AM
tig488

and your oil return line is gonna end up making an uphill climb if you leave that 45* fitting on it like that, that cant be good. kit looks good.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:57 AM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by tig488
and your oil return line is gonna end up making an uphill climb if you leave that 45* fitting on it like that, that cant be good. kit looks good.
Again, it wasn't bolted down, just test fitting till I could double check with the pictures to see what went where. Today I placed everything where it should be.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:14 PM
IntenseFab
Sponsor
Intense Motorsports

Keep up the good work sir. Great thread
Old 04-19-2008, 04:45 PM
jeffie7

a shout out to Hans for the phone support today.

Have fun at the track!

right now I have charge pipes going from the I/C to the motor to install as with the random hoses.

utec will get mapped tonight and installed tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:26 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie7
a shout out to Hans for the phone support today.

Have fun at the track!

right now I have charge pipes going from the I/C to the motor to install as with the random hoses.

utec will get mapped tonight and installed tomorrow.
Jeffie, I was standing right next to Han when you called!
Old 04-19-2008, 07:46 PM
tig488

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Again, it wasn't bolted down, just test fitting till I could double check with the pictures to see what went where. Today I placed everything where it should be.
i know, but i was taking into account what you said, and even when you rotate the cartridge around, your drain will go down, then have to go back uphill thru that 45* fitting, unless you just have it loosely placed, which is probably whats going on.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:55 PM
jeffie7

I would have liked for the oil to go more down, but the frame rail/up pipe is right under it, maybe with some different fittings I could have had it go more downward, but with what I was supplied it wasn't going to happen.

tip ties FTW when it comes to working alone.

Guess you can't use the mount for this, zip ties for a temp mount. I might build something to hold it in place.

The charge pipe sits right up on the rad cap =( I wonder if something isn't in place right.

Last edited by jeffie7; 04-19-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:05 PM
tig488

looks good, but can you rotate the center cartridge clockwise more, you need the oil inlet to be as straight downward as it can get.

Quick Reply: Random pictures from powerlabs turbo install