Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Random pictures from powerlabs turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Random pictures from powerlabs turbo install

First things first, I run a pizza joint, I love autos both cars and bikes, and I hate paying someone to do something I think I can do. With that being said, don't take my advice, if you do, take it at your own risk. Some of the things I'm sure I'm going to do, will be wrong, or just not good practice. Use this thread, more so for pictures, and getting an idea of if you want to buy this kit. Do not take this thread for an install guide because that it is not. Just some random pictures and a place where I can ***** about problems.

This kit is being installed on my 03 350Z, it has 32K miles on the motor and I like to think its in good condition.

The directions I have for the kit IMO are not the best, I've been told they have some updates and a few fixes that will be e-mailed to me in a few days. So I'm looking forward to that, but for now, I'm just playing it by ear. If I run into any problems I'll wait till monday and call someone, Powerlabs has been good with phone support and no doubt I'm sure I'll have my questions answered. So far they've been very helpful!

Today I started the install around 5pm, first thing I did was track down the fuse box that had the fuel pump fuse in it. The directions showed the fuse box and listed the picture with "view with top cowl cover and IPDR E/R cover removed. say what? cowl, is that just plastic? first place I went was under the battery cover, no fuses there were no go, checked under the dash, nope, no go, so I started digging around the engine bay and found it behind the battery

It does list it being under the cowl, but to me a cowl is something used on a motorcycle or many different types of covers. Would it hurt to put a picture of the engine bay with an arrow?

Yes I'm bitching about the little things, anyone who has done any engine work outside of basics should know right where to look, however, I did not. It didn't take long but why did I have to look when it should have been clearly listed? I really wouldn't care so much about the little details but anyone whos seen the turbonetics guide is spoiled.

there's a lot of unclear things in this one. Don't get me wrong, I have ZERO doubt in my mind that it will be updated a few times in the next few months/years it is a brand new kit and I'm I believe the first person to do an install outside of a major shop.

Anywho, a few rules I made for myself.

Every bolt that comes off the car gets bagged and tagged. Any random lines get tape with a where to written on them. Only tools allowed out of the tool box is tools that are in current use, if they're no longer to be used, even if for a few minutes, it goes back in the tool box. If I feel rushed, tired, annoyed (more then the usual) I'm stepping away. Just trying to take my time and make the most out of it.

I started off by doing the injectors and spark plugs, figured I'd knock those out first.

Having drop in injectors FTMFW! no need to swap any parts from the old injectors!

Tomorrow I'll start on the exhaust piping/turbo install.

Again lots of questions, main thing is needing detailed pictures, the pictures listed in the directions are not very good. I'm told I'll have some sent to me asap. Again powerlabs has been in contact on the phone and in e-mail, but since I started this on a weekend, intense has been closed and now I have a lot of questions =)
I'm glad I bought this kit, it's one hell of a kit and I don't think I could have beat the price going with anything else.

Last edited by jeffie7; 04-12-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome Jeffie, good luck with it all man. Lok forward to hearing updates. If you need anyhlep and think I could help dont hesitate to contact me.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Armando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck jeffie, im waiting to see how this beast runs in your car. I'm saving up for this kit

Last edited by Armando; 04-13-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 PM
FrickU

Good Job so far man. Good luck with the rest of your install. It's awesome seeing someone tackle their own turbo kit installation. It's the best feeling when you finish your own project.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:04 PM
rythex

Looks like fun, I wish I had tools.......... and a garage............. and money.........
Old 04-12-2008, 09:13 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by FrickU
Good Job so far man. Good luck with the rest of your install. It's awesome seeing someone tackle their own turbo kit installation. It's the best feeling when you finish your own project.
+1
Old 04-13-2008, 06:47 AM
weak 350z

Good luck jeffie. I wish I could have gotten farther on mine. I would be done already. f-in sucks. I hope you don't run into the problems I have.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 AM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by weak 350z
Good luck jeffie. I wish I could have gotten farther on mine. I would be done already. f-in sucks. I hope you don't run into the problems I have.
Do go on, what problems did you have? I'd like to know so I wont waste time trying to make something work that wont if my kit has the same issue.

powerlabs said if something doesn't seem like it will work to contact them since theres a chance a part could be slightly off. Again stuff to expect when buying something brand new. Remember the first batch is like a trial run. Just look at the directions...
Old 04-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Zridder19

Good luck Jeffie. Thats a really nice kit
Old 04-13-2008, 08:10 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

subscribing
Old 04-13-2008, 08:13 AM
UMW350Z

Annddd this is why I am letting MRC do it I do not have patience when it comes to cars...I can only to the small stuff which is easy...exhaust, intakes, oil change, tire rotate (on other cars). I took apart my RC truck 5 years ago to replace the diff....it is still in pieces today...

Good luck jeffie!

Last edited by UMW350Z; 04-13-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 AM
weak 350z

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Do go on, what problems did you have? I'd like to know so I wont waste time trying to make something work that wont if my kit has the same issue.

powerlabs said if something doesn't seem like it will work to contact them since theres a chance a part could be slightly off. Again stuff to expect when buying something brand new. Remember the first batch is like a trial run. Just look at the directions...

I have an 06...So the mid up pipe isn't fitting right. I have been in contact and I'm just waiting to see if they can get an 06 in the shop.

I know what you mean about the instruction. It needs more pic. and detail. I guess they want us to re-write it. Oh-well we are the 1st. with the kit.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 AM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by weak 350z
I have an 06...So the mid up pipe isn't fitting right. I have been in contact and I'm just waiting to see if they can get an 06 in the shop.

I know what you mean about the instruction. It needs more pic. and detail. I guess they want us to re-write it. Oh-well we are the 1st. with the kit.
Yup, TN has a great set of instructions, however, they've been writing them for years and years.

I just think powerlabs under estimated how much detail people like to see.

My main beef outside of the little and sometimes left out detail is the pictures, they're so small and blury =( even more so when printed so you can read them while doing the install.

It's the price to pay when we're the first ones to have the kit.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 AM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
Annddd this is why I am letting MRC do it I do not have patience when it comes to cars...I can only to the small stuff which is easy...exhaust, intakes, oil change, tire rotate (on other cars). I took apart my RC truck 5 years ago to replace the diff....it is still in pieces today...

Good luck jeffie!
This turbo install is pretty much one big exhaust install =)
Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the op, respect and good luck with the rest of the install. Sounds like you have the will, patience, and know-how to do it.

How's the pizza?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:41 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet kit Jeff and you know me and Bert will help you out if you need it.Good luck with the install and hope everything goes together easy as my greddy twins was a biatch to install.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:59 AM
diwun67

Originally Posted by jeffie7
This turbo install is pretty much one big exhaust and intake install =)
fixed

I did my own TN install and had PF tune it. Definitely feels good once it's done Can't wait to see more pics and vids once it's done and running.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

^^ +1 definetly feels good...especially if the first time you turn the key it starts hahah.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:06 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
^^ +1 definetly feels good...especially if the first time you turn the key it starts hahah.

SSSSHhhhhhh

So true.

However, there's really not much that can go wrong, either the Utec isn't mapped right or one of the sparkplug/injector wries broke. outside of that I can't see why it wouldn't start.
One thing I'm not doing is installing the fuel pump since I have Dave at FT doing that with the rest of the fuel return line, I'm running the return lines but hes going to do the tank stuff. I figured hell, why bother with this when he could do them both at the same time. I don't plan on boosting the car before tuning so it doesn't matter.

Anywho.

Today I worked on the rear of my body kit since we broke a mount trying to remove the silencers. put together some R/C car screws and put it together, then moved on to removing the ypipe, o2s, and cats.

I cannot believe I didn't break my little link o extensions, the passanger side cat nut was tight, I had to use my trusty good ole rusty pipe..

All I can say is my extension is longer then yours. =) The tape was added to help with the wobble extensions, I needed a lot of play so I could fit it down into the engine bay. Worked great!

And yes, I did say cat nut was tight.

Last edited by jeffie7; 04-13-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:13 PM
diwun67

LOL @ the extensions, I did the same thing

Quick Reply: Random pictures from powerlabs turbo install