Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TURBONETICS and smoking????

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 PM
SC 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBONETICS and smoking????

just got my Brand new Turbonetics on last week drove for bout an hour or so that nite and broek an axle sinday so its been laid up for a few days,today i got it out let it warm up to temp, went up the road went to step in to the throttle a little bit and blueish smoke poured out the tail pipe, i have an 05 performance nonrevup , the TN kit has the water line kit, and I installed the AAM pan spacer and line kit, i had not noticed the smoke before when running it thus it was dark out and no one was behind me,my question is what the h$ll is going on here ? i re checked every thing it seems fine, is my return line not flowing good enough? i called turbonetices they said there has been some problems with the aam pan spacer and line kit with there kit, i called AAM they said either pcv lines are pinched,or i dont have the return line run right. any help here would be great.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

why even use a spacer in the first place. im running no spacers with only a tapped stock oil pan. Personaly, i think spacers are just for bling factor.

Think of it this way. The more you change, the more the risk of messing up. If its not too late, return the spacer and get your money back.

either way, you're blowin blue smoke cuz you are burnin oil. maybe rings??? Compression test it. idk what it could be though.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is your line tapped into to the block or the spacer? I would be safe to assume you have it tapped to the spacer and not what is recommended as the oil drain needs to be ABOVE the oil level and NOT BELOW it.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
SC 350Z

Originally Posted by 350 Rookie
why even use a spacer in the first place. im running no spacers with only a tapped stock oil pan. Personaly, i think spacers are just for bling factor.

Think of it this way. The more you change, the more the risk of messing up. If its not too late, return the spacer and get your money back.

either way, you're blowin blue smoke cuz you are burnin oil. maybe rings??? Compression test it. idk what it could be though.
compression is fine the enigne had 40k on it and i just rebuilt it before i put the turbo kit on , i put the spacer on cuz i didnt want to put a 3/4'' hole in my block but as it looks im going to
Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
SC 350Z

Originally Posted by Ed 718
Where is your line tapped into to the block or the spacer? I would be safe to assume you have it tapped to the spacer and not what is recommended as the oil drain needs to be ABOVE the oil level and NOT BELOW it.
yea it is tapped into the spacer,i thought it was a good idea at the time,i wanted to stear clear of drilling into the block but as i have read and talkd to TN techs it looks like im going to be drilling the block but leaving the spacer in or should i just keep it off since i have to drop the pan anyways?at first i thought i had blow by but the more i thought about it i was like nahh cant be
Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

Drill the block?

later, ill take a picture of my setup and show you how its supposed to be done.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:06 PM
SC 350Z

i get off at 11pm im going home pulling the line off the spacer and expexting to see oil run out of the spacer if so drill the block i will.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:07 PM
SC 350Z

Originally Posted by 350 Rookie
Drill the block?

later, ill take a picture of my setup and show you how its supposed to be done.
pics appreciated
Old 05-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah either remove the spacer all together or simply make sure your drain is ABOVE the oil level.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:35 PM
SC 350Z

Originally Posted by Ed 718
Yeah either remove the spacer all together or simply make sure your drain is ABOVE the oil level.
thinking im removing it what u think?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:37 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

Alright here are pics... This is where its supposed to be tapped.

and this is the line to the turbo

Old 05-07-2008, 03:43 PM
SC 350Z

sht im at work and like usually they are blocked
Old 05-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Merlyn

SC 350Z,

The problem that some people have had with taping their oil pan itself is cracking of the oil pan. What the spacer allows for is an easy solution for oil return without risk of cracking the oil pan. The spacer was designed to allow 6 quarts of oil to be put into the motor without any issue of oil return to the pan.

The idea behind the spacer is so simple that I would not look to it as the cause of your problem. If you checked your PCV Line for any restriction and the oil return line for spots that might be hindering oil flow (sections that flow up or straight) and that turns up nothing then aside from a bad turbo the only thing I would assume is that you have too much motor oil in the engine.

My only fear is that you are going to go through the trouble of taping your oil pan and once you have that done you are going to realize that the oil return was not the problem. I do wish you the best of luck in discovering the problem and if you have any questions free to give me a call back.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:46 PM
pmohr

Originally Posted by SC 350Z
sht im at work and like usually they are blocked
Reposting them so you can see them.
Attached Thumbnails TURBONETICS and smoking????-oilpan.jpg   TURBONETICS and smoking????-oilpan2.jpg   TURBONETICS and smoking????-oilpan3.jpg  
Old 05-07-2008, 03:51 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the oil pan spacer return is the issue. As long as the turbo is above the lowest point of return the oil will enter the pan even if the return is below the oil level.

What I would like to know is what your AFR was when you dyno'd the car and what your maximum boost is on your gauge. I think another compression test is in order here. If the tuebo seal was blown (which happens over time) then you would only have blue smoke comming off WOT. Sounds like you blew your motor.

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 05-07-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:41 PM
SC 350Z

havent dynoed yet, didnt hit and boost yet was parked idling for 45mins or so to burn off all the oils in the pipes, then drove out driveway bout an 1/8th mile then a 1/4 mile stopped and turned around i barley got out of vacuum and was almost into boost and the afr was good before i let off, plus this motor was just rebuilt the motor is not blown!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:41 PM
SC 350Z

Originally Posted by pmohr@Altered
Reposting them so you can see them.
i dont like the looks of that at all!!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
cover94

i dont think it is the spacer - but i wouldnt feel comfortable with all the sealant inside my oil pan....
Old 05-07-2008, 05:28 PM
fstrnldr

If the motor was freshly rebuilt, then it is normal to see some blue smoke until the rings seat ..... assuming you have less then a mile on it like it seems, then i wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you have a good non synthetic oil in the car (non detergent is even better).... take the car out and do a few light throttle pulls going a bit higher in the rev each time, but always let the engine slow the car ... using the engine to decelerate the car will help the rings to seal much quicker. You should see the smoking problem get less w/ each decel.

As far as oil like placement, i prefer to tap them as high as possible in the pan so you do have it above the oil fill line. This can be a bit of a pain on the turbonetics kit though. i would still leave the spacer, as long as its sealed properly it can only help things out.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:37 PM
SC 350Z

Originally Posted by fstrnldr
If the motor was freshly rebuilt, then it is normal to see some blue smoke until the rings seat ..... assuming you have less then a mile on it like it seems, then i wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you have a good non synthetic oil in the car (non detergent is even better).... take the car out and do a few light throttle pulls going a bit higher in the rev each time, but always let the engine slow the car ... using the engine to decelerate the car will help the rings to seal much quicker. You should see the smoking problem get less w/ each decel.

As far as oil like placement, i prefer to tap them as high as possible in the pan so you do have it above the oil fill line. This can be a bit of a pain on the turbonetics kit though. i would still leave the spacer, as long as its sealed properly it can only help things out.
^true thanks

Quick Reply: TURBONETICS and smoking????