Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

--->jkenefic version 3.0 build<---

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:09 AM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkenefic
^^^^ +1!!!

Come on people, lets keep this on topic... Jim Wolf was the person I talked to on the west coast that strongly encouraged me to try this setup. What ever VRT and RA were doing is their business and I am not going to speculate on what parts were going into their engine builds.

That is a huge part of why I went with the torque to yield HR bolts instead of the L19s in the previous 2 builds. There is a lot of good reading on this subject if anyone is interested just google it. Another thing to know about TTY bolts is that they do have some elasticity to them so when the motor heats, cools, and cyl psi change the same clamping load will be there in all conditions helping to prevent warping of surfaces. ARP studs to not do this (to the best of my knowledge) and is partly why an engine that has been run hot will have head gasket failure over time with a ARP style stud.

I would like to know if the HR bolts have enough clamping force to work on the sleeved large bore blocks. The characteristics of the HR bolts would help keep the matting surfaces flat with great displacement of the clamping load.
Cool...nice info and build. It be great to see if sometime in the near future if there were aftermarket studs that exibited these properties.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Blwn_By_Twins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build. Hope it does well for you.

Sorry for the OT, but I've seen this a couple of times now. What the hell is the 1320???
Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

if you were building a DE and were to want to buy the HR gasket and studs, what woudl the price on those be btw....i wonder if its a lot of savings compared to how much you would pay for hks and l19s.....regardless your DS of the HR parts in your build is great.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jkenefic
That is a huge part of why I went with the torque to yield HR bolts instead of the L19s in the previous 2 builds. There is a lot of good reading on this subject if anyone is interested just google it. Another thing to know about TTY bolts is that they do have some elasticity to them so when the motor heats, cools, and cyl psi change the same clamping load will be there in all conditions helping to prevent warping of surfaces. ARP studs to not do this (to the best of my knowledge) and is partly why an engine that has been run hot will have head gasket failure over time with a ARP style stud.

I would like to know if the HR bolts have enough clamping force to work on the sleeved large bore blocks. The characteristics of the HR bolts would help keep the matting surfaces flat with great displacement of the clamping load.
The debate I have seen repeated all over the Internet is the unpredictability vs tensile strength of TTY vs ARP bolts. I honestly don't know the answer, but I'd have faith in a recommendation from Jim Wolf.

IMO, I think the bottom line is that if you have steam pockets form on a regular basis, there's no reasonable amount of torque from any bolt that's going to prevent failure. Eventually the gasket will degrade (burn) and leak.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:39 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by gsxrjohn
Nice build. Hope it does well for you.

Sorry for the OT, but I've seen this a couple of times now. What the hell is the 1320???
1/4 mile dragstrip.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:39 AM
MADScientist

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
if you were building a DE and were to want to buy the HR gasket and studs, what woudl the price on those be btw....i wonder if its a lot of savings compared to how much you would pay for hks and l19s.....regardless your DS of the HR parts in your build is great.

The gaskets are $40 each and the bolts are about $3 each... Significant savings
Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 PM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there discernible difference in appearance between the HR and DE bolts? I've never seen them side by side, wonder how you could differentiate between the two?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Canadian
Banned

Originally Posted by helldorado
Is there discernible difference in appearance between the HR and DE bolts? I've never seen them side by side, wonder how you could differentiate between the two?
From what I'm told no, they look exactly the same. The only difference is the HR ones are a couple points harder on the rockwell test.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I applaud your attitude and not quitting after 2 motors. Thats is ther most impressive part of it all. It helps that your a bad a$$ tech as well (ie. not relying on others) Good luck with it all, and keep us updated!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:03 PM
App6MT

So I read and re-read. Who exactly suggested the HR gasket and bolts, Jim Wolf himself?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Motormouth
Banned

there was a post on this forum from someone (ETG?) where he posted pictures of the HR and DE bolts next to each other with some technical information.

Congrats man, your car looked great at Zdayz... and sounded mean
Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What are your water temps cruising and after a pull or two?
Old 05-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Pete@BC

Joe,

Congratulations on the build! Glad to see more people are thinking out of the box. There are many skeptics to this style of build, including myself in the past. Keep up the great work, keep us posted on how everything continues.

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Of course you do.

That's interesting...
Because in all the threads about the controversial motor in the BC car, I remember "Nismo" head studs being listed. However, there was never any mention from the RA camp about HR head studs or gaskets being used. It's something that should have come up in those threads, since much of the criticism involved the use of what was believed to be stock DE head studs and gaskets. Not once did Scott or you guys state that they were in fact HR parts. Hmmm...
The build sheet was talked about previous, Noah took responsability of writing up a quick sheet for invoice purposes. Something I was not aware of before. The fact that Jim Wolf does not build motors and is aware of how RA builds there motors is how this information has been passed on. Hr studs and gaskets were utilized in our build, and have held fine to the abuse on the street and a few track events. Whether RA has wanted to release that information on to the public, I am not sure. Special Recipes stay in the kitchen sometimes. I do know it is available to those that have had the motors done by them. Like I said, not sure why. I know they aren't able to voice themselves here though.

Congrats again Joe, sorry for takin this off topic a bit.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:37 PM
coachk
Banned

So this build is unique in a sense because he is using HR head gaskets and stock head studs. Is there something else that I'm missing that makes this build different from all the others?
Old 05-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This went wayyyyyy OT.. how bout some engine bay pics.....
Old 05-31-2008, 03:00 PM
captj3

Does anyone have a picture they can post of DE and HR head gaskets side by side? Congrats on the build.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:48 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Guys I have driven Joes car personally and his power levels are right on par with my car @19psi if not more (he has 20g turbos).

One other thing that you might consider is that Joes drives his car @19psi all the time, so this is a perfect driving habiit to put this to the test. IMO after driving his car at Z days, this is the way to go and yealds $$$$ savings.
I belive this is one of maybe 5 cars with this set up running this power level.

If your interested in a build like this I highly recommend "Modifed Auto desgin" The shop Joe works out of. When Joe works on a car he works on only one car at a time till its complete and he does all the work himself (doesn't give it to his hench men). What you get in service is second to none with incredible turn around time, so you don't have to wait 6 months for your motor build.
Thats the good thing about one guy working on your car, one guys know exactly what has been done!

Getting a GTR or know of someone thtas getting one???
Modified will have around 3 GTR by the end of Jan to start mild mods, with the Haltech, stay tune for that.

Peace!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:44 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxrjohn
What the hell is the 1320
1320......as in 1,320 feet is the measured distance of a 1/4 mile.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:04 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's all the info you need to know on DE and HR headgaskets and head bolts........

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...HEAD_BOLTS.pdf
Old 06-01-2008, 09:22 AM
diwun67

Awesome build man. I saw your car at zdayz, looks badass in person. Sorry I didn't introduce myself or hang out much, my car being screwed up had me in a funk. Anyways, I'm glad you can get sick power with inexpensive parts

Quick Reply: --->jkenefic version 3.0 build<---