Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

--->jkenefic version 3.0 build<---

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Jonny Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info, and awsome build. I sent you a PM about some 1320 runs.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Originally Posted by jkenefic
^^^^
I would like to be ableto figure out a way to use the OEM fans with the FCon Triggering them to come on sooner. More like 190 dergrees instead of 210. In order to do this I need to get the NISMO thermostat first which is on back order last i checked.

This is definetly something that I would need to do if I were to run the car on the road course for any extended period of time.

i wish i wouldve known you needed a Nismo T-Stat, I just sold a brand new one 2 weeks ago
Old 06-03-2008, 01:42 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
Moderator Status: Fail

jk mang

LOL!

Modified is having a dyno day in two weeks and I will be there to have a dyno run off with JOe for one last time (dropping of the car). I should be fun!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:47 PM
MaRbLe

Another nice Ultra Yellow

Lets see some more pics!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:51 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

One more question here:

After looking at your dyno charts, its great to see the car making power all the way to 7000rpm. Do you attribute this to the cams, the plenum, or the heads, or something else entirely?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:59 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
One more question here:

After looking at your dyno charts, its great to see the car making power all the way to 7000rpm. Do you attribute this to the cams, the plenum, or the heads, or something else entirely?

I am going with Tunning!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:02 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
I am going with Tunning!

i agree, all the other mods james mention help, but it all comes back to tunning and superior ems at this power levels

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-03-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
MADScientist

+2 You can all the right parts but if the tune is poop then well... Most of the power to 7000 is the tunning that Sharif did. The lower Revup plenum and heads are helping as well. I think it would make power even higher if the freaking OEM ECU would have been flashed to 7500 like I asked Altered to do. I am just going to go cabled throttle body and stop messing with this drive by wire $hit.

Off topic, but other than myself, at this point in time I would only trust Sharif to tune my car.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
MADScientist

Originally Posted by dave079
Thread cleaned up. This is getting ridiculous with a certain company being brought up in every FI thread lately. People were banned for a reason and bringing their bad name into every thread lately is getting old.
Thanks!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 You can all the right parts but if the tune is poop then well... Most of the power to 7000 is the tunning that Sharif did. The lower Revup plenum and heads are helping as well. I think it would make power even higher if the freaking OEM ECU would have been flashed to 7500 like I asked Altered to do. I am just going to go cabled throttle body and stop messing with this drive by wire $hit.

Off topic, but other than myself, at this point in time I would only trust Sharif to tune my car.
Thanks Joe...you have always been a standup guy...and above the fray. I like the HR gaskets. We'll probably keep using the L19 studs for now, but switch to the HR gaskets. As a side note, none of our L19 studded open deck motors have ever showed signs of head lift or failure.

On a similar note, we just finished building a 2.3 Stroker Evo8 for a customer, and we had AMS put together their stroker block together for us. They also gave us a stock gasket, but did suggest the L19 studs. AMS has made over 1000whp with a stock gasket, and L19 studs. If you look at the Supra and Evo community, that have been making way more power per cylinder than the VQ guys....they all use L19 or oversized studs for high power applications. However, the debate about stock vs. aftermarket headgasket continues...even with those Evo and Supra guys at it for more than 10 years.

Thanks again for sharing the results, Joe.

Mods, thank for cleaning up the thread.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:19 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Thanks Joe...you have always been a standup guy...and above the fray. I like the HR gaskets. We'll probably keep using the L19 studs for now, but switch to the HR gaskets. As a side note, none of our L19 studded open deck motors have ever showed signs of head lift or failure.

On a similar note, we just finished building a 2.3 Stroker Evo8 for a customer, and we had AMS put together their stroker block together for us. They also gave us a stock gasket, but did suggest the L19 studs. AMS has made over 1000whp with a stock gasket, and L19 studs. If you look at the Supra and Evo community, that have been making way more power per cylinder than the VQ guys....they all use L19 or oversized studs for high power applications. However, the debate about stock vs. aftermarket headgasket continues...even with those Evo and Supra guys at it for more than 10 years.

You should make a thread for that car, even though strictly speaking it isn't Z related. That motor gave me wood...
Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by dave079
Thread cleaned up. This is getting ridiculous with a certain company being brought up in every FI thread lately. People were banned for a reason and bringing their bad name into every thread lately is getting old.
THX
Old 06-03-2008, 07:12 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

back to the good reading that we had before
Old 06-03-2008, 07:28 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged

for the cost of hks gasket ..its not a bad expense for added peace of mind imo

but stock head gasket is a lot better than people think but it all depend on the ems in use too.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:30 PM
ForcefedZ

I thought you could raise the rev limiter with the FCON??
What are your thoughts on the 20G upgrade?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Driven1
Professional

Good Read. Good luck with the build..I think you'll be seeing some more of this type of build soon and even on some cars that see the track.

Thanks for giving so much to the community at your own expense Joe (and a few others...Luie, etc.)...it's truly a great thing.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ForcefedZ
I thought you could raise the rev limiter with the FCON??
What are your thoughts on the 20G upgrade?
With the late 04's and beyond, the rev limit is controlled by the TB...rather than fuel cut. So even with an FCON or Haltech, the rev limit cannot be raised without doing an ECU reflash.

Fuel cut rev limiters are defeated with the FCON and Haltech...but not the soft TB limiters on the late 04's and up.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Weqster

I wonder what GTR parts will transferable to the VQ.. I can imagine the headgaskets and studs used in that motor would be top notch.

As a side note, in the honda comunity, its always been accepted that OEM headgasket is the best. O-RInging the head is needed for 45+psi though.. Hondas never got an OEM fire ring gasket. Oh and ARP studs are mandatory. But its recommened to retorque heads after 5-10 heat cycles. And thats 10minute job on a honda.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:03 AM
MADScientist

^^^^^
I will keep everyone posted on the build with updates on driving habits and how the OEM head bolt appear to be holding up. I have to agree with Sharif on the L19 studs at this point, but if this little experiment works out like I hope then the HR stuff is a great low cost alternative. A year or more from now will be the true test of this build to see if this is was a good idea or not. Like I said, so far so good right now!

Quick Reply: --->jkenefic version 3.0 build<---