Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Limp mode, no start & lots of codes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode, no start & lots of codes!

OK, I'll try to keep this short. I went out for a while last night with some friends and came home "LIMPING". A buddy wanted to ride so I took him out to 31 and got on it pretty hard 2-4th gear. No problems, yet. I get back to our spot and park the car. A guy needs to get out so I start my car and move it to another spot. Still No problem, yet. After about 20 mins we decided to go for a drink. I start the car and go to back up, BAM limp mode. Won't rev past 1300. I shut it off let it sit and start it again, same thing. Well I didn't have my code reader on me, so I tried to reset the ecu with the peddle trick. After that starts up fine, but the CEL comes back on. So I go home nice and easy drop the car off and finish out my night. This morning I go to start the car. It turns over, catches long enough to idle about 200 rpm then die. Does this 3 times. I shut the car off and go get the code reader. Decide to try again b/f checking the codes and it fires right up. So I take it around the block, seems to run fine. Plug up the reader and HOLY ERROR CODES BATMAN! Here is the list.

P0172 FUEL SYSTEM RICH BANK 1
P1075 FUEL SYSTEM RICH BANK 2
P0300 RANDOM MISFIRE
P2100 Throttle Control Motor Relay
P2101 Electric Throttle Control Function

Not sure how to understand this part, but after the codes it gives....

Monitrs
2 INC
Catlyst
EVAP
5 Ready
Misfire
Fuel
Comp
02 Snsr
02 Htr

Should I clear them out and see if they come back?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:05 PM
MIAPLAYA

Sounds like your throttle body is toast. Time for a new one. You can verify this pretty easily. Pull the charge pipe off the throttle body and start the car. Have someone which the throttle plate and see if it moves at all when you go WOT...
Old 06-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

Would that cause the other codes like the misfire?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:12 PM
track1z

Check each sensor for proper voltage or ohm.Be a true mechanic dude.When one go's out it may make others flash a code since they run in Parallel with each other.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

That would be great except I would have no idea what I was looking for. Are you talking about the sensors on the tb?

Last edited by Blwn_By_Twins; 06-12-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:31 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Sounds like your throttle body is toast. Time for a new one. You can verify this pretty easily. Pull the charge pipe off the throttle body and start the car. Have someone which the throttle plate and see if it moves at all when you go WOT...
Long time since i have seen you on the forums man........................but yes it sounds like the throttle body took a dump.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM
track1z

dealership 101!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:31 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

Originally Posted by gsxrjohn
That would be great except I would have no idea what I was looking for. Are you talking about the sensors on the tb?
02 sensors. those sensors are a mans best friend. You can find a 101 problems in a motor with those sensors.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Blwn_By_Twins

It's reading rich b/c of the test pipes I'm pretty sure. I spoke with my local dealer service center on the phone today and told them about the problem. They said to bring it up there on Mon and they will most likely warranty the TB. They're really good people. Plus they love my car! lol
Old 06-13-2008, 11:33 AM
MIAPLAYA

The 0300 code is common on any boosted Z. The car could be running rich if the ECU reads you going WOT on the pedal position sensor but sees no additional through the MAF since the throttle plate is not actually moving based on your input. You can check voltage and all the stuff if you want but the simplest way to check if its the throttle body (Throttle position sensor is part of the throttle body and to replace one you replace the whole assembly) is to pull the charge pipe off (takes 5 minutes and a socket to remove one hose clamp) and have a friend watch the throttle plate and see if it moves to WOT when you fully depress the pedal. Thats what my bet is for this issue.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:34 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Long time since i have seen you on the forums man........................but yes it sounds like the throttle body took a dump.
Yeah I've been lurking quite a bit but haven't had much time to post recently. My job role changed a lot and it requires a LOT more of my time. Sucks when work gets in the way of your hobby.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

I assume the motor needs to be running when doing that right?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:36 PM
MIAPLAYA

I assume the motor needs to be running when doing that right?
Technically no but I would only test it with the motor running. Clear all the codes by doing the ECU pedal reset and then start the car and check the throttle plate.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Technically no but I would only test it with the motor running. Clear all the codes by doing the ECU pedal reset and then start the car and check the throttle plate.
Does clearing the codes w/ the code reader reset the ECU?

Last edited by Blwn_By_Twins; 06-13-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

Default I fuking hate stealerships!

After talking w/ the service manager about my car and her telling me she would cover it under warranty I took my car up there. He comes out the first time and tells me it's the tune that is messing up the tb sensors. It's running to rich and messing up the sensors. I tell him it's suppose to be running rich, it was tuned to run rich & how the car running too rich has ANYTHING to do w/ the tb sensors since they're is not fuel at the tb. He tried to give me some dumb excuse and said he would try to relearn the tb to the computer. I explained to him I already did that and it only temporarily fixed the problem. Then he tells me it isn't idling right and needs to be done again. Whatever. After sitting there for 4 hours total they came out and said my Throttle Body needed to be replaced. I said "REALLY" He said he'd check to see if it was in stock. I just kinda laughed to myself as he walked away. The SM comes up to me a couple of mins later and tells me its gonna cost me $353 because they are NOT going to cover it under warranty. So I say fine, it'll have to wait until next week and just want to go home. Then they hit me with a $85 charge. I ask why and she said they had to read the codes and diagnose the problem. So I said "Your charging me $85 to tell me what I told you when I came in here." She said well the did the ecu relearn too. At this point I realized I was fighting a lost battle & said just give me my car. Never again! I am done with the Nissan service dept!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:23 PM
westpak
SFZCC

unfortunately unless you are ready to lose warranty on the car you shouldn't modify it to this level, you have to trouble shoot and repair on your own or pay for it
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 AM
captj3

You should be able to buy a remanTB for $180 from the dealer. That is what they are going to put in your car for $300+. It's probably the easiest repair to do.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:14 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guess they didnt love it that much

anytime a dealer says they'll warranty a car with FI, they are blowing smoke.

with the money you will start saving by having to do all your work yourself, you'll have a pretty nice set of tools in the end.

It's reading rich b/c of the test pipes I'm pretty sure. I spoke with my local dealer service center on the phone today and told them about the problem. They said to bring it up there on Mon and they will most likely warranty the TB. They're really good people. Plus they love my car! lol
Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 AM
MIAPLAYA

I told you it was the throttle body. If you haven't paid for the TB yet leave the dealiership and buy your own and replace it.