Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TrackPack's Turbo Fab Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:32 AM
fstrnldr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what made you design the header to flow towards the back, then reverse that and bring it to the front? Just thinking it would be more efficient if you designed the manifold to flow forward.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:14 AM
TrackPack

Originally Posted by fstrnldr
what made you design the header to flow towards the back, then reverse that and bring it to the front? Just thinking it would be more efficient if you designed the manifold to flow forward.
The intent with this project from day one was to build a turbo kit that required removing nothing and not having to deal with modifying anything like ac lines and the likes. I also intend on having this car as rattle free as it started...

That being said, I wanted to merge both sides of the exhaust as close to the turbo as possible, keeping both banks separated as long as possible, you cant really tell from the pics so far but if you look at the fist pic there, right before the flex is the merge, right above the ac compressor. and in order to merge that late I needed the space provided by going back first, if it went forward first you would have a very hard time getting another tube through(probably imposable with ac..) Plus it increases manifold length on drivers side....that much closer to equal length lol
....manifolds should be twisty anyways.....

keep the comments coming guys! thanks.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackPack
The intent with this project from day one was to build a turbo kit that required removing nothing...
What a novel concept! Great work! Was that a flexible exhaust section a few posts back going to the wheel well? Are you worried about all the plastics in that area melting? Not sure how the manifolds fit together with the turbos that are way up in front...
Old 07-16-2008, 12:45 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by go-fast
get a lincoln 110 mig to start
I can't seem to find that model........is that a model or are you suggesting a 110Volt unit?

The POwerMig 140 unit looks nice, or the SP140T.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:14 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I can't seem to find that model........is that a model or are you suggesting a 110Volt unit?

The POwerMig 140 unit looks nice, or the SP140T.
get as much amps as possible on 110 volt
Old 07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
TrackPack

Originally Posted by rcdash
What a novel concept! Great work! Was that a flexible exhaust section a few posts back going to the wheel well? Are you worried about all the plastics in that area melting? Not sure how the manifolds fit together with the turbos that are way up in front...
Not really worried about melting anything because I made sure everything had a decent amount of space, nothing rubs, and the turbo will have a blanket and anything exhaust related will be wrapped. The manifolds merge into a single pipe right before that flex, then straight into the turbo.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 PM
350Z400rwhp

The intent with this project from day one was to build a turbo kit that required removing nothing and not having to deal with modifying anything like ac lines and the likes. I also intend on having this car as rattle free as it started...

That being said, I wanted to merge both sides of the exhaust as close to the turbo as possible, keeping both banks separated as long as possible, you cant really tell from the pics so far but if you look at the fist pic there, right before the flex is the merge, right above the ac compressor. and in order to merge that late I needed the space provided by going back first, if it went forward first you would have a very hard time getting another tube through(probably imposable with ac..) Plus it increases manifold length on drivers side....that much closer to equal length lol
....manifolds should be twisty anyways.....

keep the comments coming guys! thanks.
This looks like it is for a bank of 4 cylinders, or am I just not looking at this right? I'm sure you know what you are doing but isn't taking all of that to such a small pipe to the turbo restrictive? Keep this thread up, I love the pics!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
This looks like it is for a bank of 4 cylinders, or am I just not looking at this right? I'm sure you know what you are doing but isn't taking all of that to such a small pipe to the turbo restrictive? Keep this thread up, I love the pics!
I am not sure what your referring to but the one you pictured there is for a 4-banger car. And in terms of what your referring to as restrictive, that manifold looks great for a twin scroll turbo, and the vbands for dual wastegates looks BA...
Old 07-16-2008, 04:04 PM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
I am not sure what your referring to but the one you pictured there is for a 4-banger car. And in terms of what your referring to as restrictive, that manifold looks great for a twin scroll turbo, and the vbands for dual wastegates looks BA...
My bad, I was just confused. I totally agree this looks like some great work!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:13 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
My bad, I was just confused. I totally agree this looks like some great work!

+1 subscribing for outcome
Old 07-16-2008, 07:24 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice work, and welding. I'm a fabricator myself and always apreciate good work when I see it. I bet most people on here don't know how long things liket this take. Fabrication is soooooo timeconsuming. I'v been welding tig for a while now and would consider myself as a very good welder, so I know how it goes.. Did you purge all your piping with argon while welding? I hate the crap that can build up on the inside. I fabricated this kit for my other car: http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...tboston004.jpg

It's a 97 Ford probe GT with an Eaton M62 supercharger. It runs high 12's (car weighs only 2750lbs full interior) so I'm happy with it.

One day I will probably do something like that with the 350z. Good choice on the 10ga stanless on the headers, that should be bullet proof.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 07-16-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:30 AM
TrackPack

Awesome work on the probe, very innovative! I like that alot, I can appreciate all forms of forced induction an any car, heck I think all cars should be boosted, good work!
As for purging the piping, no that wasnt done but being that the header material is so thick, if you dont penetrate all the way through you shouldnt have that problem, you can also use flux power to prevent that buildup, have you tried it? Flux was used in certain spots in the build.

Thanks guys, keep the comments coming!

ohh and those 2 last pics were just examples of twisty headers, because some one asked about my header design, how it goes back first then forward. sorry for confusion there.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:31 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you can also use flux power to prevent that buildup, have you tried it? Flux was used in certain spots in the build.
No, I have never used flux. My welder has an extra hose for purging and it always looks very clean.

I'm in the food processing industry and the welds have to be absolutley perfect, especially when welding tubing. If the weld is bad on the inside it is difficult to wash and there is a chance of baceria growth and contamination.

It's mostly .065 wall so I turn the Amperage down.

With my Probe build accuracy was very important. The transfer shaft hits 15,000rpm at times so everything has to be perfectly alighned. Never had any problems, just have to use hybrid ceramic bearings.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 07-17-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
DanielW
Banned

nice... moar pics of teh girl!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
wunfstmax

I was thinking of putting my turbo there as well. How do you plan on running the downpipe?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 AM
TrackPack

Originally Posted by wunfstmax
I was thinking of putting my turbo there as well. How do you plan on running the downpipe?
I'll get you a pic of that soon, its tacked up already.

Well guys, heres another terrible quality pic brought to you by non other than myself lol!

Just a far away teaser to show you where the project stands.
Starting to come together nicely, I'll have better pics soon.
later.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:27 AM
taurran

Interesting build. I'm looking forward to seeing results.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Smawg350

Thats quite similar to the the intercooler that Im going to be using. What made you decide to go with this style?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:37 PM
anhkiet

wow the turbo location caught me off guard, is it high enough for the oil return line to gravity feed or will you use a scavenge pump?
Old 07-20-2008, 05:35 PM
thawk408

You need to just go ahead and put one on the other side aswell....

Quick Reply: TrackPack's Turbo Fab Thread...