Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Smog test

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 AM
G35cTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog test

Just wondering and this may of been discussed before, but when do we have to smog our cars G35/350Z? Curious because I have some mods and would like to know when to expect this test.

Thx
Old 08-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

This is location specific, and no one can help you considering you entered 'Westside' as your location. I would recommend either checking with your local emissions authorities, or update your location and try posting in the regional area (https://my350z.com/forum/north-america-87/)
Old 08-18-2008, 09:35 AM
rookie

He's socal. From the DMV http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2539

If you bought it new

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles

Counties that require biennial smog inspections are listed above.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:04 AM
G35cTT

Originally Posted by rookie
He's socal. From the DMV http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2539

If you bought it new

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles

Counties that require biennial smog inspections are listed above.
Thanks, very good info.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by G35cTT
Just wondering and this may of been discussed before, but when do we have to smog our cars G35/350Z? Curious because I have some mods and would like to know when to expect this test.

Thx
All the above answers are corretc, but keep in mind that if you get pulled over for some reason, and they look under the hood, that Greddy turbo kit will get you sent straight to a smog referee, where you will fail because there is no CARB certification for it. It has happened to a number of people here.

I mention it because your eally want to stay away from any "flashy" mods, and drive relatively sane, in order to not get pulled over in the first place.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:08 PM
G35cTT

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
All the above answers are corretc, but keep in mind that if you get pulled over for some reason, and they look under the hood, that Greddy turbo kit will get you sent straight to a smog referee, where you will fail because there is no CARB certification for it. It has happened to a number of people here.

I mention it because your eally want to stay away from any "flashy" mods, and drive relatively sane, in order to not get pulled over in the first place.
Right I totally hear what you're sayin. Just wanted to know when it's supposed to happen. Is this gonna suck for us FI modded cars?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Oh, my car is perfectly legal in the state it is registered in, and I don't have change that state of registration since I am active duty military temporarily stationed in CA.

However, if you are a CA resident, yes, it is going to suck when the time comes for the smog check. You'll have to find a place that will pass you, whether that involves a friend of a friend, or something else is up to you. Wish I could give you a suggestion, but the last time I had to register a car in CA was about 10 years ago, and the smog place I went to is now out of business.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
G35cTT

Oh, my car is perfectly legal in the state it is registered in, and I don't have change that state of registration since I am active duty military temporarily stationed in CA.

However, if you are a CA resident, yes, it is going to suck when the time comes for the smog check. You'll have to find a place that will pass you, whether that involves a friend of a friend, or something else is up to you. Wish I could give you a suggestion, but the last time I had to register a car in CA was about 10 years ago, and the smog place I went to is now out of business.

Exactly a friend of a friend type of deal is what I have planned and hope they will be open at the time of smog. Man you're lucky is it the JWT smog exempt?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 PM
fklentz

Even being military exempt is getting harder. In San Diego they are now asking for SMOG checks for out of state registered vehicles for the issue of a DOD vehicle sticker.

I figure that I'll keep the turbos until I need to get a smog check, then swap over to a new built stroker motor with 11 to 1 CR and a stillen S/C stage 2 upgraded to stage 4. I'm really over the excitement of the turbo and have had 1 warning from the law. I never track my car and even tho enticed by other cars to street race I never do. The greatest enjoyment I get from the car is tight winding roads where by the time boost kicks in I'm already braking.

The stillen S/C will better fit me for what I want power wise and VISUALLY pass a smog check.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

You are correct about the base sticker thing, except the policy is any car more than 7 years old. Thus, my 2005 G35 is just fine, and I will have left the beautiful state of CA by the time my G is 7 years old.

Oh, the JWT is not smog exempt, they say they are trying for CARB, but none of us have our hopes up.