Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

** Update on my Car - Pics, Numbers, Videos **

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009 | 04:06 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!
Premier Member

Originally Posted by rcdash
Nice website Luie and congrats on all the wins!!! Awesome.

EDIT: You going to bring that bike out to the airstrip?
Nah!
Old 11-04-2009 | 05:36 PM
PolarBearppw
Just a radiator

Wow so sorry to see this happen to you Berto. Stumbling upon your videos back when I first bought my car was one of the reasons I decided to boost mine. Thought I love the Z I gotta agree with everyone suggesting to move onto a better platform. C6 Z06 ftw
Old 11-04-2009 | 05:41 PM
ttg35fort
Professional
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Any time you have a car that is a play toy, things are going to break, you fix them, and they break again.

Many moons ago when I lived in the mountains and had a Jeep. I collapsed the entire front suspension when it was 3 months old. I put on a Trailmaster suspension, and bent those leaf springs 3 times in just as many years, not to mention the number of shocks I went through. On my Honda, I went through two motors in 2 years. On my G, I'm now going on the second built motor.

You push anything hard, day in and day out, and something is going to break... Sure, Alberto can go buy a Vette, but he will probably get the itch, build the **** out of it, and he will be in the same boat (although probably somewhere north of 1000 whp ). You have to pay to play. Otherwise, like Alberto said, you will be babying the car, and then where's the fun???

All that being said, I am trying to do everything I can to get the new motor as solid as possible so that it will hopefully last to 20k miles or so. Maybe I won't shoot for 750 whp, but 650 whp is still a heck of a lot of fun...
One more thought...

Please remember, we are dealing with motors that were originally designed to put out anywhere from 280 to 330 crank hp, which is about 220 to 270 whp. It's a h@ll of a lot of fun to push these things to 600 whp, 700 whp, even over 1200 whp, but they are still relatively small, light weight, 6 cylinder aluminum blocks. They may put out these really high power levels, but not for long, relatively speaking, unless you baby them. The mechanical stresses we are putting on these motors is huge, and way more than they were ever designed to take.

A lot of people compare us to the Supra motors, but I believe that those are cast iron blocks. Huge difference there. Cast iron blocks are much more rigid than aluminum blocks. Even though GM is using aluminum block LS3's in their new Corvettes and Camaros, the LSX block that they developed for extreme hp builds is cast iron. There is a reason for that.

EDIT: If someone does not mind a b@stard build, the expense of the conversion, nor the added front end weight, a built LSX motor will easily lay down 1000 whp, and do so for a reasonable amount of time..., but I guess what's the point. Maybe it's just easier to keep a backup short block laying around (which is what I plan on doing).

Last edited by ttg35fort; 11-04-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2009 | 05:59 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

damn bert, down in clemson! i would have **** bricks if i saw you on the highway...

If you need help when you come back be sure to pm some of the locals.
Old 11-04-2009 | 06:04 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Nexx
of course they can but going to a boosted supra might turn out to be as much of a headache.
Doubt that. A stock block that can take 800rwhp easy and a transmission that is nearly unbreakable....
Old 11-04-2009 | 06:21 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom
Premier Member

Originally Posted by thawk408
Doubt that. A stock block that can take 800rwhp easy and a transmission that is nearly unbreakable....
Supra's are insane in a straight line, but for someone who likes to go hard in the corners, it might not be the most dynamically involving choice.
Old 11-04-2009 | 06:44 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by JAM3Z
Supra's are insane in a straight line, but for someone who likes to go hard in the corners, it might not be the most dynamically involving choice.
Im not a supra fanboy, and said the comment about buying one as more of a joke. But come on, a supra is not just a straight line car.

Done with supra talk.
Old 11-04-2009 | 06:47 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Damn Bert i cant believe another problem....but if you caught it in time it could just be in the fan circuit.The motor might just be ok but if you want just bring it to the shop and i can get my master tech to look at the fan circuit.
Old 11-04-2009 | 06:55 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!
Premier Member

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Damn Bert i cant believe another problem....but if you caught it in time it could just be in the fan circuit.The motor might just be ok but if you want just bring it to the shop and i can get my master tech to look at the fan circuit.
Fix the fans??

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

REALLY... I am sorry
Old 11-04-2009 | 07:32 PM
str8dum1

these issues might still be more related to the sleeves more-so than anything else. To say you cant have a reliable high horsepower build isnt accurate.

regardless, there more than enough fail on this forum to really want to shy away from making big #s, weekend car or not.

best of luck!
Old 11-04-2009 | 07:39 PM
tig488

sorry to hear this man. ive enjoyed seeing your cars progress, but now i think its time to GTFO.
Old 11-04-2009 | 07:52 PM
GolfinZ

An ls3 vette will make 500+rwhp with just a cam, headers, and a clutch That is at most 8k in mods, if you pay a shop to do the work, and will run 10s all day and you could DD that b!tch 365 days a year, minus the snow days

Last edited by GolfinZ; 11-04-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2009 | 08:21 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Fix the fans??

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

REALLY... I am sorry
Whats up Luie....Did you really sell your car
Old 11-04-2009 | 08:21 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Bert,

REALLY sorry to hear about this. Take a little time and think before you make any rash decisions on the matter.

If it's any consolation, I think that a moderate power build can be done with a decent amount of reliability. Maybe stick a basic built motor in the car with your current greddy twins and turn down the boost a bit and just enjoy the car. I know it's not free, but it's much cheaper than a whole new setup.

I've driven three full seasons and almost 20K miles on my built motor with my standard APS twins and had no major issues. I run the car pretty hard when I do drive it since it is not my DD (lots of 1/4 mile passes and highway pulls) I've had my share of small frustrating issues, but overall I think it's been pretty solid.

These cars are REALLY FUN in the 500-550whp range.

Good luck with whatever you choose....and for god sakes GTF away from that cliff.
Old 11-04-2009 | 09:55 PM
fairl80z

Alberto sorry to hear that. Please just put this car to the side and move on with your life. Part her out and get as much $$$ as you can. Little by little fix the done damage and bring it to the stock mode. Take some time off as much as even 3 years. There is no rush, you're still young man and there be many cars in your happy future. When you decide to by a new car, buy something like 07 z06. In three years they are going to cost anything between 22 - 30k. At that time you will have cash from the parts that you sold plus money for your 350z. If you do this way you won't lose any money, at least you won't feel like you did. With the z06 with few bolts on and tune you will have same whp but much faster and less stressful car

I love my 350z and I'll love to keep her forever. I'm boosted too. I have single turbo on stock block (nothing big, not even close to compare it to your beast.) With all the stuff that i did to my car I spent +$25K and thinking how much more??? My future plans were to build long block to be on the safe side (guess build block = fail too,) and plus will have to upgrade my turbonatics to twins and here is another +$20K I think that 350z is a money leech and always will be. I'll love to get rid of her before waisting any more money but I'm still stuck with 34 months of finance. I decided to pay her off and in three years will start looking for 07 z06. With my Z being paid off at that time I will sell her and with money made on the Z I will only have to finance $10-15k on the z06(price in three years $22-$30K). If I will got rid of my Z now I will lose about $20K on the Z and spent another $39 - $43K on the z06. SEE, TAKE YOUR TIME AND GOOD LUCK

Last edited by fairl80z; 11-04-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 03:17 AM
Joe@Sage

Sorry to hear bert I fell your pain throwing $20,000 down the toilet made me throw up for sure .V T R seems to be the only shop that can sleeve a motor with no issues and build a motor with no issues.
Old 11-05-2009 | 03:40 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Joe@Sage
V T R seems to be the only shop that can sleeve a motor with no issues and build a motor with no issues.
O'RLY Intense and Sound Performance have not had any sleeved VQ failures thus far and I'm pretty sure Injected Performance has been fairly successful with their sleeved motors as well. Like VTR, the VQ platform wasn't the first rodeo for any of these shops and they all have prior experience with high power builds on other platforms. It seems to be the "VQ bubble" shops that have problems/failures with high power builds and sleeved motors. Unfortunately, the VQ Bubble shops seem to have the political power and the largest fan base of members on this forum.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 11-05-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 03:50 AM
Barzten1

So sorry Alberto. Really give it some good thought. My built Z was 586 whp and I now drive a 500whp na C6. Your gunna miss that boost so much. My Z was so much more fun to drive. The Vette is very nice, looks amazing and lays down every bit of that power. Its just not as fun to drive. When I had my Z I would just drive it around aimlessly because it was so fun
Old 11-05-2009 | 04:24 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

All I can say is... WOW!!!

I had no idea how many VQ enthusiasts on this forum were really just Corvette nuthuggers in disguise. Its really too bad that some of you couldn't just save up and by your dream car first instead of settleing for a Z.

Go buy a Corvette, and while your at it make sure you get one of those tents and some really nice lawn chairs with the emblems on them so you can be comfortable when you sit around and discuss your newest chrome bolt on mods . I came from this community, so I know what I speak of here. Just a bunch of old, mostly white, lazy a$$ guys that want to just sit around and compare stock portfolios and vacation homes.

I will always have a warm spot in my heart when I find a Corvette guy on the highway and pull up on him. They ignore you at first (because they are too mature to want to play) but eventually they will downshift and expect to just drive away from you, but the look on their face as you pace them and then wave as you pull away is just priceless.

My brother-in-law has a SC C5 Vette. He recently got completely embarrased by jtgli and his stock block Greddy TT, the race wasn't even close. His defensew to the loss was saying he never dropped out of 4th gear. When I asked him why, he said he never had to before, he just put more pedal into it and drove away from people - point proved - END RANT
Old 11-05-2009 | 05:16 AM
GolfinZ

Originally Posted by Cass007
All I can say is... WOW!!!

I had no idea how many VQ enthusiasts on this forum were really just Corvette nuthuggers in disguise. Its really too bad that some of you couldn't just save up and by your dream car first instead of settleing for a Z.

Go buy a Corvette, and while your at it make sure you get one of those tents and some really nice lawn chairs with the emblems on them so you can be comfortable when you sit around and discuss your newest chrome bolt on mods . I came from this community, so I know what I speak of here. Just a bunch of old, mostly white, lazy a$$ guys that want to just sit around and compare stock portfolios and vacation homes.

I will always have a warm spot in my heart when I find a Corvette guy on the highway and pull up on him. They ignore you at first (because they are too mature to want to play) but eventually they will downshift and expect to just drive away from you, but the look on their face as you pace them and then wave as you pull away is just priceless.

My brother-in-law has a SC C5 Vette. He recently got completely embarrased by jtgli and his stock block Greddy TT, the race wasn't even close. His defensew to the loss was saying he never dropped out of 4th gear. When I asked him why, he said he never had to before, he just put more pedal into it and drove away from people - point proved - END RANT
Fact, the corvette community is not a bunch of lazy a$$ white guys, thats a stereotype that thrown on them, just like Im sure some people think that this community is a bunch of asians, just not true. The vette community has thousands of reputable shops, racers, and people in it because the car is an american icon. Go visit corvetteforum and look in the FI section, its packed full of people like this forum is, WITHOUT all the drama, call outs, bashing, etc...

Anways, this isn't about that, bert hope you get her figured out and which ever way you go we know it will be a beast

Quick Reply: ** Update on my Car - Pics, Numbers, Videos **