Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

** Update on my Car - Pics, Numbers, Videos **

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009 | 01:14 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic
Premier Member

As someone who had sleeves and drove my car hard I had reached this conclusion a year ago and I know there are others who have as well. Alberto Im sorry to see you go thru this yet again I hope you stay in and come back like I did but just no sleeves
Old 11-05-2009 | 02:12 PM
AlwaysNBoost

glad to hear you're opinion rome but trust me sleeves are not the problem....
Old 11-05-2009 | 02:24 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic
Premier Member

See thats where I beg to differ if you can show me someone's car who had sleeves drove their car with over 550 wheel and its lasted over 2 years then I might change my mind but I have yet to see that out of any shop.
Old 11-05-2009 | 04:45 PM
jeffie7

I don't think I could ever go with a vette. Way to many of them out there.

993 911 Turbo would be my first choice for the price/power

Alberto, just get your car running again and drive it as often as I do. No chance in it breaking lol =)

*knocks on wood*
Old 11-05-2009 | 05:05 PM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by jeffie7

Sure a 911 Turbo would be bad *** but I wouldn't want to think of how much a rebuild would cost with this car I don't think a 400-450hp 911 would feel fast after having 575whp.
Old 11-05-2009 | 05:07 PM
AlwaysNBoost

Romey trust me you think our motors are the only ones effected by improperly installed sleeves and overheats think again plus I know numerous road raced z's and z's with over 100 dyno passes and track passes to prove it. Just because they ante on the forums more that they are on the street doesn't mean they ante out there.when u wanna see them hit me up
Old 11-05-2009 | 05:26 PM
Barzten1

Originally Posted by Alberto
Lots of good advice here

To answer the person who asked, this last motor was a Forged motor that had been reworked after GTM built the original motor and I had the issues.

Sleeves = failures IMO on a street car

I will post the oil analysis later for everybody to laugh at...I have been saying for years that more built guys need to do this and share otherwise what I may think is wayyyyy abnormal MAY be somewhat reasonable as far as a built motor goes.

Luie - we need to hit a track day on 2 wheels, congrats on your success man, Im always down for learning

I know that having a setup at 500whp is fun and hooks up but after having 600+ there is no going back otherwise its a step back in life for me-not really but it feels that way

To the guy in Clemson/Greeneville, funny thing is in NC I had a black Nismo Z with exhaust fly up on me and drive next to me on I-85. When I hit it in 3rd and 4th I swear I could see his jaw drop in my rearview from 1000ft away lol!
Thats what I was saying Berto. Get another Z and build and boost it. I dont see what can compare for the money. Maybe a Lotus with a TT kit. I miss my Z so much
Old 11-05-2009 | 06:18 PM
Jason333
hi
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Barzten1
Thats what I was saying Berto. Get another Z and build and boost it. I dont see what can compare for the money. Maybe a Lotus with a TT kit. I miss my Z so much
HAH! Your new family car is pretty damn nice Barzten!
Old 11-05-2009 | 06:23 PM
fairl80z

Originally Posted by XKR
Now you come on here throwing out names like VTR.....prime example...There was a guy that had the same setup that I use to have ..the 850bb....he made 801whp dj......We did not hear from him for a while....Then all of a sudden he shows up with a build in progress. I asked, George/GTM asked, a few others asked what happened to his last motor........Cricket.....Cricket....Cricket....Not a d@mn answer.....

I had almost the same build.I made 800whp @23 psi and he made 801whp @24pai.....2 different shops....mine was finished in 2007 ...way longer then his....mine did not blow up......My new build is out there for everyone to see...if it fails...then all in info is there for us all to see...what to do and what not to do...just like Berto has done.
Sir, you are so wrong here. His did not blow up, he's just on bigger thing. Did somebody said 9 sec ???

Last edited by fairl80z; 11-05-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 06:38 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!
Premier Member

The fact is these cars or cars in general, that are modded will eventually have problems the more parts you mod the more that can go wrong. Hell my Superstock engine in my gsxr 1000 is good for 8 to 10 race weekends and its time for a rebuild. I will say that I did learn some lessons with my experiences, some good and some bad. What it comes down to Bert is drawing the line, to some it comes earlier than others.

Bye the way I still hold that 6th Fastest trap of all time in the Z 133mph.. WTF You guys are slacking

Last edited by eagletanggreen; 11-05-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 06:46 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Bye the way I still hold that 6th Fastest trap of all time in the Z 133mph.. WTF You guys are slacking
We all keep blowing up before making it to the track Its the year of the FAIL.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 11-05-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:20 PM
IIQuickSilverII

...the more parts you mod the more that can go wrong....
yeah
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:21 PM
C5_vette

Alberto, just get your car running again and drive it as often as I do. No chance in it breaking lol =)

*knocks on wood*
LOL have you seen the prices of 993 turbo's.. they are insane for such an old car, I know because its a car I have wanted for a very long time, last gen of air cooled FTW.... but price FTL.... its very hard to find a nice one for a reasonable price, and if they break enjoy the billl.... especially for the power he wants...

and in terms of commanality while there arent that many 993's on the road there are a ton of 996 and 997 turbos all over the place where I live.. so only an enthusiast would be able to tell the difference between those and a 993.. let alone a boxster or cayman.... same is applied to a Z06 sure there are alot of vettes on the road and only an enthusiast could tell the difference between them...but its not different from porches imjustsayin
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:48 PM
stormcrow

what to say... you know i hate this for you... i know we had to agree to disagree when you were going through this build on the whole sleeved and 1/2" head studs issue... i still, to this day, think that i am correct that these two as a combo are just bad news... sleeves can drop / shift causing coolant in oil, overheating and headlift...and 1/2" head studs are so very hard to get straight and this causes a bad fit of head to block and can cause...yup...coolant in oil, overheating and headlift... i'm hoping this is the case for you and there's no further damage...

you know i am here for you if you need anything...
Old 11-05-2009 | 08:15 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

wow this really sucks so soon after the last one, I feel your pain somewhat, I was going through it all when my sleeves gave me an issue and had to disassemble and rebuild the engine due to poor sleeve install.

After that it made me leery and afraid of doing what I had planned on doing with the Z and that was some track events like I had done when she was NA, now I do daily drive it but only get on it every so often.

I like it and enjoy the power but I know what you mean about driving an NA Z and having fun, you can go 100% with it and have fun without concerns of ending up sideways even it if it slow.

Good luck and as mentioned take your time making a decision.

Last edited by westpak; 11-05-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 09:40 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Sure a 911 Turbo would be bad *** but I wouldn't want to think of how much a rebuild would cost with this car I don't think a 400-450hp 911 would feel fast after having 575whp.
Ever drive a mid engine car on backroads?
its not always about the power =) even more so when its power that cant be used unless you're doing highway runs or are running DRs every trip out.....
Old 11-05-2009 | 10:30 PM
350Z400rwhp

Ever drive a mid engine car on backroads?
its not always about the power =) even more so when its power that cant be used unless you're doing highway runs or are running DRs every trip out.....
I have driven 911's, 944T's and a 928. There is a very cool feel that Porsche cars give you. I am sure an AWD 911 Turbo is a very easy car to drive and put through it's paces. Being a rear engine car the braking is also amazing. It's basically a 959 only better. I did have an MR2 Turbo and I know how a mid engine car feels on high speed turns and they inspire confidence. I think this whole thread has brought up 3 main topics. 1.Yet again sleeves are now being questioned and from the sounds of things they may cause more trouble than they help on a street car. 2. Built or Stock Block most of our FI Z's are pushing 2-3 times the stock horsepower and things may break. 3. Certian cars have motors that can make 600rwhp without a sweat. The 2JZ in Supras is just simply a stout motor and was way overbuilt in stock form. So are the 05' and up Corvette motors wether it be a base or a ZO-6. Both of these cars can make 600whp very easily. Now personally I think the Z is a better car over the Corvette in terms of seats and the interior. That wand the questional build quality of the Corvette made me steer towards the Z and that's why I bought one. Supras are too old and finding a good one is very hard and they are expensive. All I was saying is that in the end we all want a very fast car and 5-600RWHP seems to be the magic number to keep the excitement and not get bored. When you push to these levels with a Z you better have very deep pockets and still there are no gaurantees. I simply mention the Vette because it is a decent looking car and a 5-6psi supercharger will yield 600hp without any drama. For this reason only I think its a more cost effective way to go but to each their own as there are great qualaties about the Z. I'm not getting rid of mine anytime soon but it if blew up tomorrow I would really consider buying a Vette just because it has a bigger motor and they are affordable. Anyway sorry to go a little off topic.
Old 11-06-2009 | 08:02 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

What was your E.T. on that pass again?
Old 11-06-2009 | 11:43 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
What was your E.T. on that pass again?
Ouch

I recently went through a situation with emissions. Long story short I failed on purpose to get an extension and keep my tags from being suspended.

I have to go back before the end of January, so I may fix the fans so the car wont overheat(again), NOT BOOST IT and drive to station to fail again - this time with a "receipt" of work done and a 2yr extension.

Or I just sell this POS, avoid that headache and many more in the future and move on
Old 11-06-2009 | 02:27 PM
IslandZavage

Originally Posted by Alberto
Or I just sell this POS, avoid that headache and many more in the future and move on
would hate to see u go.. been following ur car since back in the turbonetics days. But you gotta do whats YOU feel is best.

Last edited by IslandZavage; 11-09-2009 at 06:55 AM.

Quick Reply: ** Update on my Car - Pics, Numbers, Videos **