Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

** Update on my Car - Pics, Numbers, Videos **

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009 | 09:08 AM
AroundMyHorn

Originally Posted by Cass007
Whatever... I am speaking as a lazy a$$ white guy . I am speaking from MY experience as a former member of this community. I invite the naysayers to attend the Corvettes at Carlisle event here in PA sometime and you will see what I am saying.

It just seems that whenever a F/I member decides to leave the platform everyone thinks the Z06 is the "do all, end all" super ride that satisfies all your desires and never breaks down.

As far as Z owners goes, just attend a Mid-A meet and you will see that it looks like a U.N. meeting. I know that I don't fit the stereotype of a highly modded import car owner, but I don't feel as though anyone in the Mid-A judges me based on my age or how I look.

Jebus... I had no idea that I would comepletely shift the focus off of Alberto's issues and start a Jerry Springer debate.
Maybe so, but who really cares what others do? Aren't you FI guys all about power? Aren't LS motors all about power? I don't see why there is hate?
Old 11-05-2009 | 09:19 AM
C5_vette

Whatever... I am speaking as a lazy a$$ white guy . I am speaking from MY experience as a former member of this community. I invite the naysayers to attend the Corvettes at Carlisle event here in PA sometime and you will see what I am saying.

It just seems that whenever a F/I member decides to leave the platform everyone thinks the Z06 is the "do all, end all" super ride that satisfies all your desires and never breaks down.

As far as Z owners goes, just attend a Mid-A meet and you will see that it looks like a U.N. meeting. I know that I don't fit the stereotype of a highly modded import car owner, but I don't feel as though anyone in the Mid-A judges me based on my age or how I look.

Jebus... I had no idea that I would comepletely shift the focus off of Alberto's issues and start a Jerry Springer debate.
I have been to carlisle its a big show what do you expect.ofcourse people are sitting around.. how many corvette racing events did you attend? there are a number of them all year round, especially in MD for example... there isnt any BS'in at those events.. its straight up run what you got...hell even skyline drive was a blast with the vette guys...

and I dont really understand where the whole old white guy mentality comes from.. what does that have to do with anything... I have attended a number of vette events in my area and there is alot of diveristy...

it all has to do with where you live!!! I live in a very diverse part of MD, hence a diverse croud that owns vettes... I dont see how you can generalize that a certain car attracts a certain race/ethnicity.. did you ever think that, the ethnic breakup is related to wher you live... your idea is just as bad as saying that everyone that drives a 350z must be an asian.... obviously this is not the case..

oh yea I am not white or old btw... guess i am breaking the mold in your opinion again sorry for the hijack Bert
Old 11-05-2009 | 09:22 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
Maybe so, but who really cares what others do? Aren't you FI guys all about power? Aren't LS motors all about power? I don't see why there is hate?
There is no hate.....he is just telling a friend that the grass on the other side is not greener....its hay

In the end its really only Alberto that will know what to do.....He has to do the numbers$$$...
Old 11-05-2009 | 09:30 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
Premier Member

Old 11-05-2009 | 09:35 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
OMFG behind the chair.
Old 11-05-2009 | 09:46 AM
CRIDDA

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
OMFG behind the chair.
Is that a midget tripod
Old 11-05-2009 | 09:47 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Only Eric can find this stuff
Old 11-05-2009 | 09:57 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
Premier Member

Seriously though...

Alberto,

My advice to you if you decide to try again on the Z...

If you decide to stay at the same power level you have now (and since you have lost faith in sleeved motors), do an unsleeved block. Intense's widebody G and Tom's SP built G have shown that the stock sleeves (with good engine management and a good tune, which you seemed to have with your PFS tuned Haltech) are capable of handling 700-800whp under load. Their experiences support the assertion that Darton sleeves aren't necessary for that power level.

If you decide to one-up your current build and go for significantly more power, give sleeved motors one more shot and have the block built by one of the shops I mentioned in my prior post. As Tom said, SP has Darton install the sleeves themselves. I know Intense does (they did on Jorge's motor) and I believe Injected does too. I'm not sure if VTR does though. Maybe somebody else can chime in about that. Regardless, these shops have had greater success with sleeved motors than the shops you have dealt with thus far.

Things I would do differently this time around regardless of which path above you choose:
  • Go with a shop with a proven history of success on high power VQ builds and other platforms prior to the VQ. In other words, stay away from the VQ Bubble shops.
  • Go with a mix of water & meth this time around instead of 100% meth to get the additional cooling benefits of the water.
  • Stay away from the 1/2" headstuds and go with L19's. They are proven and capable for 1,000+whp builds.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 11-05-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 10:28 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Damn alberto, i was just talking to dee about you're **** the other day. I am suppose to go and visit him in the next two weeks and he told me he would call you so we can all meet up. Thats why I pm'd you and couldn't believe the news. However what rudeg_v2.0 is saying is absolutey true. And dont give up faith because certain shops have not figured out the correct way to keep the car from overheating or "lifting heads". To me imo the VQ is a excellent platform however like all cars and engines it has it quirks to be worked out when pushing it past its normal limits. I laugh how this post has been turned into a ragging on the 350z because of mistakes made by engine builders and tunners not providing clients with a FINISHED PRODUCT. Where are they now, what have they said to help you. There is obvisously an underlying problem with sleeving or high horse power numbers that dont let these motors last very long and they need to figure it out before they loose the whole community to a stupid mistake. Do you're homework fellas the car has great potentional and stop talking about evos,and vettes and other cars thinking they are superior. They have there fair share of issues that no one ever brings up trust me I know. Alberto dont sell the car dont part it out. Put the car away for a while and slowly build back. Im going to see Dee in two weeks when I do we will met up and chat. And hats off to all you shops holding power VTR, Sound performance, Injected and whomever else. All the others when you're big heaving hitting cars that put you're shop on the map blow up or are down you need to be there to support them!!!!
Old 11-05-2009 | 11:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

If I keep it, I already have come to the conclusion:

* L19's
* HKS HG again
* No sleeves
* Do something to keep these fans from failing me yet again....
* Swap the 1 bar WG springs (13psi LOWEST BOOST POSSIBLE) to something that will allow me 10ish psi @ around 500whp for most of my driving. This alone will buy me some longevity.

Biggest issues:

* I need another set of heads due to mine being drilled for 1/2" studs - if/when the time comes I'll contact Sharif to see if he is willin gto send me a set for the set I left (dont know if he would though)
* What to do about the turbos for a truly PROVEN rebuild that wont fail, the power is there....

Last edited by Alberto; 11-05-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 11:21 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Alberto

* L19's
* HKS HG again
* No sleeves
* Swap the 1 bar WG springs (13psi LOWEST BOOST POSSIBLE) to something that will allow me 10ish psi @ around 500whp for most of my driving. This alone will buy me some longevity.

Biggest issues:

* I need another set of heads due to mine being drilled for 1/2" studs - if/when the time comes I'll contact Sharif to see if he is willin gto send me a set for the set I left (dont know if he would though)
* What to do about the turbos for a truly PROVEN rebuild that wont fail, the power is there....
Wise choices indeed.

For a rebuild or upgrade of your Greddy turbos... How about Forced Performance? I've heard good reviews about them. The Evo and DSM guys seem to speak highly of their HTA upgrades. Have you heard any different?

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 11-05-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 11:22 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost
Damn alberto, i was just talking to dee about you're **** the other day. I am suppose to go and visit him in the next two weeks and he told me he would call you so we can all meet up. Thats why I pm'd you and couldn't believe the news. However what rudeg_v2.0 is saying is absolutey true. And dont give up faith because certain shops have not figured out the correct way to keep the car from overheating or "lifting heads". To me imo the VQ is a excellent platform however like all cars and engines it has it quirks to be worked out when pushing it past its normal limits. I laugh how this post has been turned into a ragging on the 350z because of mistakes made by engine builders and tunners not providing clients with a FINISHED PRODUCT. Where are they now, what have they said to help you. There is obvisously an underlying problem with sleeving or high horse power numbers that dont let these motors last very long and they need to figure it out before they loose the whole community to a stupid mistake. Do you're homework fellas the car has great potentional and stop talking about evos,and vettes and other cars thinking they are superior. They have there fair share of issues that no one ever brings up trust me I know. Alberto dont sell the car dont part it out. Put the car away for a while and slowly build back. Im going to see Dee in two weeks when I do we will met up and chat. And hats off to all you shops holding power VTR, Sound performance, Injected and whomever else. All the others when you're big heaving hitting cars that put you're shop on the map blow up or are down you need to be there to support them!!!!
Alberto once said...matter of fact he has said many times...there are people on here with big builds that have things go wrong...but they keep it to themselves and not share it with the community.

Now you come on here throwing out names like VTR.....prime example...There was a guy that had the same setup that I use to have ..the 850bb....he made 801whp dj......We did not hear from him for a while....Then all of a sudden he shows up with a build in progress. I asked, George/GTM asked, a few others asked what happened to his last motor........Cricket.....Cricket....Cricket....Not a d@mn answer.....

I had almost the same build.I made 800whp @23 psi and he made 801whp @24pai.....2 different shops....mine was finished in 2007 ...way longer then his....mine did not blow up......My new build is out there for everyone to see...if it fails...then all in info is there for us all to see...what to do and what not to do...just like Berto has done.

Berto has the right to come on here and bash anyone he feels has done him wrong ANYONE....But the man has not even recieved the D&A results and we start this??

I speak to Alberto more in PM than I do here...so I have an idea whats up....not my place to speak on it......

I am not saying that VTR is not a good shop...I am sure they are.....I am saying all the shops on here have their own issues.....some bad..some very bad. I know alot more then most would think....but why splatter it all out there.....mistakes happen....and the shops have stood behind the work..so I have nothing to say.....Dont let my location fool you...I know what up in the north east.

Last edited by XKR; 11-05-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 11:31 AM
XKR

* L19's
* HKS HG again
* No sleeves

Biggest issues:

I know I asked you before how you fans were hooked up....was it through the Haltech or on all the time??

I like the plans above...I like??

BTW.....just ask for the free heads....you NEVER know Just ask
Old 11-05-2009 | 11:37 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART
Premier Member

Wow Berto you have gone thru some tough times with your Z. I remember your first boosted setup and the next one after that. I hope whatever course you take works out even if you do move on to another car.
Old 11-05-2009 | 11:48 AM
AlwaysNBoost

XKR-this statement Now you come on here throwing out names like VTR.....prime example...There was a guy that had the same setup that I use to have ..the 850bb....he made 801whp dj......We did not hear from him for a while....Then all of a sudden he shows up with a build in progress. I asked, George/GTM asked, a few others asked what happened to his last motor........Cricket.....Cricket....Cricket....Not a d@mn answer.....

what motor are you talking about the stock one? I dont know much about the car nor do I really care, no one is supporting one shop over another, I just stated what i see and others wont say, sorry I didnt say GTM or forged as posted in your sig. Please keep in mind my comments are made reguarding certain shops (they know who they are). Do you know for a fact that his 801hp motor had issues because he was gone for a while or are you assuming... Anyways berto good luck with car and hope everything works out kid I will see you in maryland soon..
Old 11-05-2009 | 11:49 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom
Premier Member

* L19's
* HKS HG again
* No sleeves

Biggest issues:

13psi may not break any records, but it will still be plenty of fun. I say go for it.
Old 11-05-2009 | 11:59 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost
XKR-this statement Now you come on here throwing out names like VTR.....prime example...There was a guy that had the same setup that I use to have ..the 850bb....he made 801whp dj......We did not hear from him for a while....Then all of a sudden he shows up with a build in progress. I asked, George/GTM asked, a few others asked what happened to his last motor........Cricket.....Cricket....Cricket....Not a d@mn answer.....

what motor are you talking about the stock one? I dont know much about the car nor do I really care, no one is supporting one shop over another, I just stated what i see and others wont say, sorry I didnt say GTM or forged as posted in your sig. Please keep in mind my comments are made reguarding certain shops (they know who they are). Do you know for a fact that his 801hp motor had issues because he was gone for a while or are you assuming... Anyways berto good luck with car and hope everything works out kid I will see you in maryland soon..
It was not stock....I said it made 801whp....I am not assuming....we all asked and we recieved no answer.....so we looked into it further. My point is...all shops have issues....I dont care who they are....some big issues...some small.

Me having GTM or Forged in my sig has nothing to do with this. This is between FP/GTM and Alberto.....nothing to do with me....I am not picking sides....my only reason for being here is to help Alberto get to ZdayZ....Alberto and all involved are big enough to handle this on their own.

You mentioned a certain shop in a way that made it seem that they are trouble free...and I am just letting you know ..it aint.....If I misunderstood your post......I stand corrected

Last edited by XKR; 11-05-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 12:05 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Lots of good advice here

To answer the person who asked, this last motor was a Forged motor that had been reworked after GTM built the original motor and I had the issues.

Sleeves = failures IMO on a street car
Thank you those were the two I was looking at. My engine sounds similar to your set up sleeved with 1/2 head studs and I was going to look at picking another sleeved block from one of the two shops you mentioned. I think I might have to give up on the 100mm bore I run and go for an unsleeved block. Thank you for the info, it may save me alot of money down the road.

This has discouraged me even more, I had decided to give it another try but I think I might end up right here where you are with another phucked motor.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 11-05-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 12:07 PM
Crom

I have never seen anything good come from a DD w/ sleeves...whether its headlift, cooling issues, whatever...anyway. - if your shooting for a reliable 500, maybe smaller turbos w/ a quick spool. ?
Old 11-05-2009 | 01:12 PM
IIQuickSilverII

IMO if you are not shooting for north of 900whp dont bother with sleeves(99% of wont reach 900whp and are more "street cars"...if your driving habits(not necessarily how hard its driven) don't allow for appropriate cooling/heat cycles for sleeves, then also not for you.....ovbiously the more power you push then more you escape the realm of "street car". I don't think a quick "blame it on the sleeves" is right either, its a convenient excuse for shops to use(so i appreciate shops that don't use such excuse and don't advertise sleeves for anything less than 900whp)

Quick Reply: ** Update on my Car - Pics, Numbers, Videos **