Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

** Update on my Car - Pics, Numbers, Videos **

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009 | 05:35 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GolfinZ
Fact, the corvette community is not a bunch of lazy a$$ white guys, thats a stereotype that thrown on them,
http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ce/eve...ttes/index.asp

Play the vid trailer and look real hard for the diversity that you speak of, better yet, go to the gallery section and pull up the Corvettes at Carlisle Galley and have a look. In this part of the country this is the biggest meet around in the Northeast.

http://www.carlisleevents.com/ce/gal...General&page=3

Sorry for the hijack Berto, I will keep my mouth shut about this now
Old 11-05-2009 | 05:36 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Lots of good advice here

To answer the person who asked, this last motor was a Forged motor that had been reworked after GTM built the original motor and I had the issues.

Sleeves = failures IMO on a street car

I will post the oil analysis later for everybody to laugh at...I have been saying for years that more built guys need to do this and share otherwise what I may think is wayyyyy abnormal MAY be somewhat reasonable as far as a built motor goes.

Luie - we need to hit a track day on 2 wheels, congrats on your success man, Im always down for learning

I know that having a setup at 500whp is fun and hooks up but after having 600+ there is no going back otherwise its a step back in life for me-not really but it feels that way

To the guy in Clemson/Greeneville, funny thing is in NC I had a black Nismo Z with exhaust fly up on me and drive next to me on I-85. When I hit it in 3rd and 4th I swear I could see his jaw drop in my rearview from 1000ft away lol!
Old 11-05-2009 | 05:38 AM
djamps

If it weren't for the high metals in the oil I'd say your engine had a chance with some new head gaskets. Water in oil, and air in water, points pretty squarely at the headgaskets.

Maybe it's been leaking long enough to contaminate the oil enough to cause extra wear.

Make your own decision...personally I think building your OWN non-sleeved motor would be very rewarding. It's something I've been considering for a while.

Last edited by djamps; 11-05-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 06:19 AM
CRIDDA

Damn Bert, sorry to hear about the trouble. Hope everything works out for you.

-Chris
Old 11-05-2009 | 06:24 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cass007
All I can say is... WOW!!!

I had no idea how many VQ enthusiasts on this forum were really just Corvette nuthuggers in disguise. Its really too bad that some of you couldn't just save up and by your dream car first instead of settleing for a Z.

The words 'Corvette' and 'C6' pop up entirely too often in this community. Bunch of fair weather Z enthusiasts if you ask me!

Alberto, again, part out your current Z (sounds like you have a ton of resent and animosity towards it which is understandable) and move on to a newer Z.
Old 11-05-2009 | 06:39 AM
TheMinel

I can empathise with you, even though I haven't had anywhere near the amount of problems you've had. The moment I picked my Z up from the shop, there's always been all these small niggles to sort out and even now that I'm nearly ready to map the car for max power, I don't feel as excited as before the build. I guess for me the enjoyment was in the process.

I think I'm going to enjoy the car through the next summer then sell it on, assuming the engine is still in one piece...
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:10 AM
thom000001

Not to jump too far off topic.....since we don't know the failure of this motor yet.....

But (I'm not sure on all but I am on 1 shop) they send the block TO DARTON to have the sleeves installed....not some generic machine shop. Yes it takes an extra couple weeks, but piece of mind means a lot at those levels if ya ask me........

As for me, damn near 800rwhp on stock sleeves is plenty for about 99.9999999% of anything I'll run into around here (including most bikes)

tom

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
O'RLY Intense and Sound Performance have not had any sleeved VQ failures thus far and I'm pretty sure Injected Performance has been fairly successful with their sleeved motors as well. Like VTR, the VQ platform wasn't the first rodeo for any of these shops and they all have prior experience with high power builds on other platforms. It seems to be the "VQ bubble" shops that have problems/failures with high power builds and sleeved motors. Unfortunately, the VQ Bubble shops seem to have the political power and the largest fan base of members on this forum.
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Attached the report from Blackstone. On the left the recent change. The middle is avg for VQ's and the right is the first oil change I did (2nd on motor)

Normally as you break it in the first sample is the worse and the metal content decreases with every change. Not my case, as you can see aluminum (pistons scuffing cylinders again maybe?) stuck its penorz in my a$$....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2nd motor 2nd report FML.pdf (199.7 KB, 98 views)
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:20 AM
C5_vette

I had no idea how many VQ enthusiasts on this forum were really just Corvette nuthuggers in disguise. Its really too bad that some of you couldn't just save up and by your dream car first instead of settleing for a Z.

Go buy a Corvette, and while your at it make sure you get one of those tents and some really nice lawn chairs with the emblems on them so you can be comfortable when you sit around and discuss your newest chrome bolt on mods . I came from this community, so I know what I speak of here. Just a bunch of old, mostly white, lazy a$$ guys that want to just sit around and compare stock portfolios and vacation homes.

END RANT
Cass I am going to have to disagree with you here, I understand you came from the community but that is a very large stereotype, there are 2 groups of vette owners the ones who do what you described... and the ones who beat the crap out of their cars on the track (1/4, and road course).. also at least here in MD there is a huge group of guys that organize backroad/midnight runs quite often....I rarely tag along because all of my friends are in the VQ community which brings me to my last point..

why does owning a certain car automatically mean you will start hanging out with that community exclusivly? yes its nice to attend local club outings/track rentals... but for example if Bert or anyone picked up a vette I am pretty sure he/she would still cruise with the same group he did when he had a VQ

alot of people bring up vettes here because they are cheap and make power easily and can still handle well... running 10's in the vette community is nothing special at all... there is a reason for that... K sorry for the hi-jack bert....

Last edited by C5_vette; 11-05-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:21 AM
Boostedtrack350

I guess I need to start sending my oil to Blackstone! Hope it all works out for you alberto.
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:24 AM
XKR

Go buy a Corvette, and while your at it make sure you get one of those tents and some really nice lawn chairs with the emblems on them so you can be comfortable when you sit around and discuss your newest chrome bolt on mods . I came from this community, so I know what I speak of here. Just a bunch of old, mostly white, lazy a$$ guys that want to just sit around and compare stock portfolios and vacation homes.

I will always have a warm spot in my heart when I find a Corvette guy on the highway and pull up on him. They ignore you at first (because they are too mature to want to play) but eventually they will downshift and expect to just drive away from you, but the look on their face as you pace them and then wave as you pull away is just priceless.

My brother-in-law has a SC C5 Vette. He recently got completely embarrased by jtgli and his stock block Greddy TT, the race wasn't even close. His defensew to the loss was saying he never dropped out of 4th gear. When I asked him why, he said he never had to before, he just put more pedal into it and drove away from people - point proved - END RANT
I hear you Chris.....My hobby is also Z06 hunting.....well they usually fine me...I have one rule....I will not race unless there is a female in their passanger seat....they feel the pain more that way

Anyway...keep your fingers crossed....Berto sounds like he is going to stay. Think about it Alberto....what will it cost to make a Z370 as fast as what you have vs getting what you have back on the road.Aint no vette under 120K going to be as fast as what you have now out of the box......and to make one as fast....well..you know....

Plus have you ever driven a vette with over 30K miles on it?? I am ashamed to say that I owned a vette....well...I was doing someone a favor that was in trouble and I took over the balance of the car.....the car rattles like crazy....No 07 car for that price should do that.

TRADED IT !!!!!!

Now lets get Burto up and going before ZdayZ
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

C6 Z06 FTW

08' + 600hp 8.4L Viper FTW

03' 350Z with 2 built motors and 15K miles of fun FTFL
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:28 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom
Premier Member

Would you ever spring for something totally different like an Exige S?
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:43 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Alberto
C6 Z06 FTW

08' + 600hp 8.4L Viper FTW

03' 350Z with 2 built motors and 15K miles of fun FTFL
Just remember, the grass always looks greener.

You think you spent a lot on the Z? Just wait until you start modding a vette or a Viper. They break too. I'm a member or a car club that is mostly Vettes and as far as the guys who have cars over 500whp like me go, they break things just as much as I do (AND many parts are more expensive), a few of them have been through multiple motors and rear ends too.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 11-05-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:49 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic
Premier Member

time to buy a evo if my car goes again im buying one
Old 11-05-2009 | 08:03 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by r0mey
time to buy a evo if my car goes again im buying one
I can respect that, but aren't they had to get to high HP #s? Like 5XXwhp DJ is their max out point?

They are awesome from a dig, I rode along for a race in a stock block TT Z vs Evo with header, upgraded turbo, exhaust and such and from a 40mph roll the Evo would jump out by a car, but was then immediately reeled in and walked.
Old 11-05-2009 | 08:22 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Evos break all the time too.

people, you are modding cars, it is extremely expensive and things break often. there is no silver bullet out there.

either except it, or move on.
Old 11-05-2009 | 08:26 AM
AroundMyHorn

I will always have a warm spot in my heart when I find a Corvette guy on the highway and pull up on him. They ignore you at first (because they are too mature to want to play) but eventually they will downshift and expect to just drive away from you, but the look on their face as you pace them and then wave as you pull away is just priceless.

My brother-in-law has a SC C5 Vette. He recently got completely embarrased by jtgli and his stock block Greddy TT, the race wasn't even close. His defensew to the loss was saying he never dropped out of 4th gear. When I asked him why, he said he never had to before, he just put more pedal into it and drove away from people - point proved - END RANT

I understand stereotypes exist for a reason but to label almost everyone of them as lazy white guys? Come on man, what do you think they say about 350z owners?

Last edited by AroundMyHorn; 11-05-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: because I'm an FI noob
Old 11-05-2009 | 08:34 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Motormouth
Evos break all the time too.

people, you are modding cars, it is extremely expensive and things break often. there is no silver bullet out there.

either except it, or move on.
One of my good friends has an Evo with all the best parts on it (stroker motor, FCON, etc) and the car has been trouble since I met him 3 ago.

Sadly, I feel like the bottom line is that if you're wanting serious performance and crazy numbers, then you are in for an enormous trade-off in terms of reliability and longevity. However, I think the longevity in question in Alberto's case is absurdly low.

Last edited by JAM3Z; 11-05-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 08:53 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
I understand stereotypes exist for a reason but to label almost everyone of them as lazy white guys? Come on man, what do you think they say about 350z owners?
Whatever... I am speaking as a lazy a$$ white guy . I am speaking from MY experience as a former member of this community. I invite the naysayers to attend the Corvettes at Carlisle event here in PA sometime and you will see what I am saying.

It just seems that whenever a F/I member decides to leave the platform everyone thinks the Z06 is the "do all, end all" super ride that satisfies all your desires and never breaks down.

As far as Z owners goes, just attend a Mid-A meet and you will see that it looks like a U.N. meeting. I know that I don't fit the stereotype of a highly modded import car owner, but I don't feel as though anyone in the Mid-A judges me based on my age or how I look.

Jebus... I had no idea that I would comepletely shift the focus off of Alberto's issues and start a Jerry Springer debate.

Quick Reply: ** Update on my Car - Pics, Numbers, Videos **