Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

First Time Posting my Car Build. Fully Built APS TT Setup starts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Carlos_PR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Posting my Car Build. Fully Built APS TT Setup starts.

Formal introduction being first post from me.

Im Carlos i live in Killeen TX thats Ft. Hood for the military people. Im 25 and starting my first build on a car.

i got a 2003 silver 350z Track edition. i have a 1 or 2 pics on my Myspace name is TraeFiveZero.

i currently have skunk 2 5/8 plenum spacer, AEM cold air intake, 2.5" Test pipes, Greddy Evo 2 Exhaust, Competition clutch Stage 2 and Lightened flywheel,K sport suspension, RC 310 CC matched flow set, Dyno Tuned at Up Rev 93oct 247 WHP 238 Ft LBS, RPM raised to 7100, MSR 19x9.5 and 19x10 Nitto NT555,Fastest ET 13.9 @ 104 MPH spinning the hell out of first gear

List of Parts:
MID sleeves
8.5:1 or 9.0:1 compression (havn't decided)
Hbeam Connecting rods
ARP studs all of them
titanium valve springs and retainers
port and polished and 5 angle valve job
ferra 1mm oversized valves
Kinetix SSV intake manifold
either 268 or 272 cams (havnt decided)
polyurethane motor mounts
looking at mishimoto radiator or ARC radiator
APS TT tuner kit
APS Extreme Fuel system
ARC diversion plate
Synapse BOV
Synapse WG
Greddy profec II boost controller
Greddy turbo timer
All Defi gauges and XUD heads up display unit
innovate motor LC1 duo wide bands
3" Down pipes
Greddy evo TT exhaust
Pmass MAF for 600+ hp
JIC magic FLT-A2 coil overs
front and rear adjustable A arms
adjustable radius arm
Traction rods
DSS level 5 drive shafts
JIC magic Tie Rods
Carbonetics twin disc clutch or OSgiken twin disc clutch
Quaife LSD or Carbonetics LSD
Chromoly Tranny Gears for stronger gears
greddy strut bar
Tuned by UP Rev Austin Texas stock ECU
nismo low temp thermostat
Steel Braided clutch line and brake lines
Cross drilled Rotors front and rear for my Brembos
oil catch can

im probably missing a few other parts thats not coming to mind right now but i still need to sit down and discuss some of the parts with shop doing my car while im away in IRAQ. the car should be going into the shop end of this week and im not going to be back home till Jan. 31 2009.

Parts havnt decided on:
Snow Performance Water/Meth Kit
One Lug OLW 19" staggerd set
Advan Super Ver. 2 19" staggerd set
Ings+1 type N body kit
Ings+1 hood

Id like to hear both sides from you guys pros and cons maybe you can offer me some parts i might want to change for others or some parts i have missed. ive seen so many different things here in a short period of time ive looked around. and for the most part is the build capable of my 700whp im shooting for if not wha would i have to change to attain my 700whp ill be happy with 650whp also lol.

Ive read a couple of the builds here but i havnt seen many APS TT's im shooting for 700whp on pump gas im not sure if i will make it but im trying to build a very reliable DD. im over building my motor both top and bottom and reinforcing all of my drive train as much as i can. the build is going to go a 2 part build where its going to go fast first since its the most expensivfe part of the build. then once im home ill do all of the extra suspension parts tie rods, sway bars, exterior,

Thanks for taking the time and checking out my build and for giving me some knowledge on parts that i might have over looked.

VQ35DETT PWR FTW
Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 AM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I may have overlooked these items, but I didn't see:
1. What injectors will you be using?
2. What fuel pump will you be using?
3. What EMS do you plan to use?

These will factor into what you can accomplish. I haven't seen many APS Tuner kits with over 600WHP. I definitely think you'll need a good EMS to get that safely. I'd recommend the Pro-EFI, but I don't have experience with other systems. Other ones that may get you where you want to be would be Haltech, VPro, and Motech, that I know of.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:47 AM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go 9:1 compression. haltech EMS and your set.

I think aps TT kit comes with 440cc injectors, you may wanna upgrade to 600 minimum
Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 AM
Carlos_PR

im getting the APS TT tuner kit that is just the Turbo kit without fuel and EMS. the APS extreme fuel system is 860 cc injectors, twin 255l in tank fuel pumps. each pump handles1 bank of the motor, separated fuel rails for each bank. its the same fuel system that comes with the APS EXTREME TT kit for 1000+hp.

As for my EMS i have been very pleased with UP Rev's Osiris i talk with them all the time since they are 45min away from me and have done all of my tunning thus far. they utilize their Osiris datalogger system on stock computer and cracks the computer so you can tune the car. i have the program for datalogging on my laptop. i have had couintless talks with them and they reassure me that their program can handle anything i through at it with the stock ECU. the only down fall is the MAF which they said is good for 600hp on the stock ECU and suggested the upgraded MAF from Pmass that will handle 600+ hp. their customer serivce has been emaculant with me. any problem ive had with my tune they have fixed it on the spot when i take them my car. the osiris program can set up to 5 different tunes on the stock ECU and i can switch through my map with 2 clicks of my cruise control. once i do take them my car for the tunning if it wouldnt be up to par and they suggest getting a EMS im looking at the Haltech.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Zilvia

looking forward to this build...

good luck
Old 09-30-2008, 04:39 AM
coachk
Banned

I don't think the turbos will get you 700...closer to 600-650....It looks like you're putting alot of $$$$$ into this build so why not go with the APS Extreme TT and you'll get your 700whp goal. Unless its just for looks, I would trade out the SSV for the APS plenum.

Its kind of oxymoron to say you want a reliable DD, and shooting for 700whp.

Good Luck with your build and be safe over there...
Old 09-30-2008, 04:54 AM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by coachk

Its kind of oxymoron to say you want a reliable DD, and shooting for 700whp.

No lie man! I have had my car back for 3 days and i already have issues lol!

It just takes time to work out all the bugs OP. Just expect stuff to go wrong and it will make it less dissapointing when it does happen
Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Carlos_PR

i have been pre warned already told to expect gremlins going for 500+ and so i started reading some of the builds here to start my mind thinking of the worst.

whats is some feed back from the SSV? ive seen it in person and have read good things about it. i havnt heard anything bad about it just havnt seen many out there using it which has made me wonder about it.

ive read both on the APS TT kit i dont know whether its external WG or Internal WG i know the etreme is external and i have looked at it but that would be more than what i need i think. also ive read that the APS has garret flanges and just thought if anything i could just swap out turbos for 2x20g to get the rest of the 700 im looking for after ive goten used to the car. its going to be a learning curve driving it again going from 250ish to 600+ hp. but as long i build for 1000hp i have room for more HP down the road for when i get tired of the 600+.

yea i do agree its a bit of oxymoron reliable DD 700 hp thats for the track thought about setting up 3 tunes DD 8-10psi street tune 10-15psi and track tune 20+psi. i make long trips in my car atleast 1-2 times a year to miami to see my son. thats where the reliable comes in lol i like seeing his face when i come see him in my car. he gets a kick out of it and who knows it might end up his beater maybe if i keep the car around long enough.

thanks again for the help you guys.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 AM
coachk
Banned

If you do a search in the FI section under the thread " The truth about the Kinetix SSV Intake" started by jetpilot, it has some good info in it.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not sleeve the engine.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 AM
alan21

^^if done by a good shop it is fine and you will have no problems enough with the sleeve debate already
Old 09-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DO NOT RUN SLEEVES

Even when done right they are not made for street cars. You do not need them with an APS kit anyways.

All of the people saying they are fine, report back in 10-15K miles.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
coachk
Banned

Way to go Alan....Berto is seeing RED now
Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
alan21

i understand were your coming from but i no people who have run sleeves for much longer then 10-15k on a street car (not on a vq) but as long as they are installed right and you have the proper cooling mods and a good solid tune it will last just as long as a non sleeved set up
Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why run sleeves??? It's been proven that non-sleeved high hp builds work just fine and have less reliability issues with hot-spots, head-lift (due to the open deck), sleeve-slippage, etc...

Last edited by gothchick; 09-30-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 AM
craigo'sznprgrs

Originally Posted by Alberto
DO NOT RUN SLEEVES

Even when done right they are not made for street cars. You do not need them with an APS kit anyways.

All of the people saying they are fine, report back in 10-15K miles.
I am confused. Why did you run sleeves on your rebuild? Pm me if you don't want it public.

I do agree with what you said however
Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We arent discussing other cars. Truth be told you could drive like a dyno queen (f@g) and never go above 4000rpm's and have 30K on your sleevee set-up.

If you dont believe me, call any HONEST shop and ask if they would recommend sleeves for a dailty driver with an APS kit. Do us all a favor and report back what they say....
Old 09-30-2008, 10:34 AM
alan21

oviously bc he had the block already sleeved and it was still in good working shape when it was torn down. it would of cost alot of extra money to start from scatch with a new core
Old 09-30-2008, 12:08 PM
FrickU

On the Kinetix, no way...Don't run that. Yes and don't sleeve. It is really funny how a few years back most of these shops would only recommend sleeving

I hope you have fun with your project. Take pictures through all of the stages. It's cool to look back on. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:31 PM
alan21

one reason why i chose to sleeve was for the 100mm overbore to gain a 3.8ltr displacement, this makes my greddys spool very very quickly

Quick Reply: First Time Posting my Car Build. Fully Built APS TT Setup starts.