Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Something weird in my coolant over flow bottle

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris - ever use any sort of coolant additive before? Water wetter, etc?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:34 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow. all this coolant talk................and guess what? my car randomly overheated today while waiting to get my starbucks in the drive thru lane.

still don't know why it happened. Fortunatley, there was an Advnaced Auto Parts across the street. I picked up some 50/50 coolant, a screw driver, a new radiator cap, and a funnel. I let it all cool down, refilled it, bled the air out, and installed the new cap. everything is perfect.......so far. I am clueless as to what happened though. also, I added almost a full gallon of the 50/50 coolant! I must not have had anything left in the car!!!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q45tech
Where would rust come from? Rust requires Iron to make the iron oxide. What part of coolant exposed system is made from anything but aluminum alloys?

High School Chemistry
The coolant line that runs along the passenger side of the motor is steel....along with a couple others. I've seen rust on the inside of mine.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:21 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is she overheating? Any coolant puddles? A miss? Take it to a radiator repair shop, have
'em check the whole system out. Good luck.
(Post your findings!)
Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 PM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
The coolant line that runs along the passenger side of the motor is steel....along with a couple others. I've seen rust on the inside of mine.
most of the coolant pipes have scale and corrosion over time. All the used ones I have seen looked crusty.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:36 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I added almost a full gallon of the 50/50 coolant! I must not have had anything left in the car!!!!!
The full coolant capacity is something like 2 1/4 gallons IIRC. Although that is with an aftermarket 36mm radiator that undoubtedly holds more then stock.

Since we're talking about coolant, I finally fixed my coolant leak from the rear crossover pipe. It was missing the OEM gaskets completly . Suprisingly the driver's side sealed with just the rtv that was used. Had to completely remove it and install new gaskets, talk about a lot of work - theres not much room to manuever and theres a lot of stuff in the way. Only took me about 5 1/2 hours

Also, those of you concerned with corrosion or rust in the cooling system, if you switch to Evans you wont get any, since theres no water in it.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:35 PM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
The full coolant capacity is something like 2 1/4 gallons IIRC. Although that is with an aftermarket 36mm radiator that undoubtedly holds more then stock.

Since we're talking about coolant, I finally fixed my coolant leak from the rear crossover pipe. It was missing the OEM gaskets completly . Suprisingly the driver's side sealed with just the rtv that was used. Had to completely remove it and install new gaskets, talk about a lot of work - theres not much room to manuever and theres a lot of stuff in the way. Only took me about 5 1/2 hours

Also, those of you concerned with corrosion or rust in the cooling system, if you switch to Evans you wont get any, since theres no water in it.
that's a b1tch of a job to do with the motor in the car.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:42 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

even using distilled water (which we do) it seems to rust the water pump fins just a little. it combined with the inside of the brass looking tube on the passenger side of the motor are the only items that tend to get a little rust in them. i am sure thats what it is. i have seen it on stock motors when you switch to 50/50...

how many ulcers do you have chris