Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

interesting bad built motor thread on G35driver.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 PM
UMW350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlideFox
Are you still going to make that thread you and i spoke about??
Not until after the court case

It is going to be embarrassing, thats all I can say. Julian believes I am a poor, stupid kid. I pinch pennies, but do poor people buy over 20g's (~12,500 at MRC alone) worth of mods?

I would not have sued if this was not a case I could easily win.

just look at the lies from post 197...I almost missed that one too! thanks to James@CINcity for pasting it over

Last edited by UMW350Z; 10-29-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
In due time my friend, in due time.

I let the cat out of the bag on g35 driver...I filed small claims against MRC yesterday. MRC might have gotten the letter today or might get it tomorrow since they are so close to New Brunswick. Lets hope he doesn't just ignore it like he ignored my BBB complaint too.
You should leave that for a separate thread. It really doesn't belong in this one. Different topic.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by Driven1
You should leave that for a separate thread. It really doesn't belong in this one. Different topic.
agreed. I will NOT be the one who gets this thread shoved under the rug
Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 PM
THE ROADSTER

Last edited by THE ROADSTER; 10-29-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:55 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-29-2008, 08:58 PM
acg

UMW350Z good luck with the case, been there 3 times myself and won all of them.

Back on topic sorry.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:09 PM
go-fast
Banned

anyone see the deep pockets from japan with a bad motor?gtm tried blaming his tuner until he found out the guy was a hks trainer.btwy he still recieved no warranty(i guess he should have started a thread)
Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by go-fast
anyone see the deep pockets from japan with a bad motor?gtm tried blaming his tuner until he found out the guy was a hks trainer.btwy he still recieved no warranty(i guess he should have started a thread)
That dude has some serious money... 2 Built GTM Motors and a Cosworth Motor!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Julian's latest post on g35driver:
Originally Posted by Julian
Allow me to reply one final time:

Since day one Rome and I hit it off and had a business and friendship relationship. We did his car for him, and his build up was pretty pricey admittedly. He was in a constant competition to see who the fastest was between him, Evo Dan, and Multiple others. Whatever, thats his thing, I dont fault him for that.
He always wanted more and more power, it is addictive. What most people do not realize in the high performance industry, is that failures occur, no matter what precautions one takes. it is the nature of the beast. Nothing after market is warrantied like one would think.
Now you all assume the worst of me, however I will give a brief background on Romey and I and what I have done for him. We spent countless hours on Romey's car after the install diagnosing a misfire problem he was having. I went as far as delivering the car to him at his house and attempts to do so several times, but the problem would re-occur after about 20-30 minutes of driving. We changed out the following on his car FREE OF CHARGE:
Injectors, coil packs, Fcon, Harness for Fcon,Throttle body,and did several multi session of data logging. In the end it was his sponsored Clutchmasters Stage 7 multi disc clutch that he got on his own from Clutchmasters direct.

We swapped out the clutch for FREE. which on a 350Z with Greddy Turbos and wastegates is easilly a 6-8 hour job @$80 per hour. all in all I DID NOT CHARGE ROMEY ONE SINGLE PENNY for what amounted to about $1500-$1800 of diagnostics and labor. For an issue that was 100% not MRC's fault of install related.

During the swap out and diagnostics I loaned Romey my brand new Mazda speed6 for over 1 week. How many shop owners have you know to do that?

We did multiple tune sessions for Romey for free and gave him a sponsor ship labor rate of $45 per hour. No written agreement, just friends remember.

Romes car was tuned for 12-15 psi by me, on several occasions he called me and told me he was putting 100 octane in the car to run Evodan and raised the boost to 18psi on his own without re-tuning for it. Rome never seemed to listen to my advise, and I honestly should have locked him out of the boost controller.

In the beginning of this summer Romey came to me to install a meth kit, open dumps, and some other stuff, with a retune. Upon raising the boost to 18psi the heads showed signs of lifting. I should Note there have been MULTIPLE CASES of GTM motors having failed headgaskets all over the forums, tuned by multiple shops including GTM themselves, you just dont hear about it.
We contacted Sam, he stated he would look at the motor if we sent it to him. In my opinion the GTM headstuds were not properly installed/TQ.d. At this time the car did NOT lift the heads at 14psi low boost map. And was drivable within reason. Rome wanted the car back to go to a car show around that time, and I gave him the car back. I was reluctant and should have been more persistent that he not take it, looking back now. I honestly trusted Rome, not to beat on the car, and advised him not to do so, since it might be hurt. We were not 100% sure the heads were lifted at the time.
I risked my reputation and blamed Sam for the motor failure. He does repairs to the motor, sends it back and charges Romey for some stuff he did, perhaps Romey will clarify.
Now keep in mind, we have not yet billed rome for any of the work we did up until this point which includes the meth install, dump install, heat wrapping,removing the motor, stripping all of the components off it , packing it up and shipping it to GTM. Not a single penny was out of Romes pocket. We agreed to help him out with a further discounted labor rate, feeling bad for him at the time.
The motor comes back 2 months later, we install it, start the car and one side of the motor is not firing. Matt verifies there is fuel coming from the injectors,confirms there is spark, and even tries swapping out the Fcon unit.

Matt proceeds to do a compression test and comes up with 145psi across one bank and 110 psi compression in the other. He does a leak down test, and verifies the valves were not sealing. We contact Sam from GTM who automatically stated we mistimed the motor and bent valves.

We agree to send the motor out to a 3rd party for inspection, to see who F'd up. The inspection comes back today, verifying valve leakage and that three cylinders were not firing. Well they wont fire with low compression, thats common knowledge.

At this point is where it gets screwed up. I come to find out from a person that knows Rome that when the first motor was hurt, and he took the car he was street racing it at 19psi, with a possibly hurt headgasket. Then i find the video on youtube. I flip out, that Rome was not honest with me and upfront with me the whole time. He was out drag racing his first motor, and turned a simple headgasket issue to a 3 month fiasco. I put my reputation on the line backing Rome and he was not 100% upfront with me..

Was posting the video about him wrong? Yes, it was not the right thing to do on my end and could have been handled differently.But understand my anger and how i felt i was being deceived and taken advantage of by a friend. A friend whom i was trying to back and help out.

I am out alot of labor on an issue that was not my fault, and as always GTM comes up smelling like roses. I agreed with Rome to AS A FRIEND work out the labor he owes and we will take care of the current labor for issues we feel we may be responsible for.

We will remain friends in the end, however we agreed to no longer do business together when all is said and done and issues are resolved and what is owed is squared away.

Was i 100% right? No, absolutely not...Did I let my emotions get the best of me? Sure did.. Did I learn valuable lessons? Yup..I will never again, befriend a customer of mine, business is business and personal is personal..

I just want you to know that we have gone way above and beyond what most performance shops would have done in this case...Not trying to sound right, just trying to be heard form my point of view.
Edit... Julian just added this to his post:
Originally Posted by Julian
As far as my message to Sam,
Anyone should not trust him, he talks about ALL of you other sponsors/vendors behind your back. He called JT a hack, Sharif didnt know sh*t when Albertos motor failed, Injected was a bunch of tool and the Haltech sucked,the pro efi is a pos, ect.. he talkes about ALL of you guys behind your back but is a gentleman in your face.He is an accomplished and well spoken business man, and that is where he is superior to me, Im not in the industry long enough and possibly do not have the tact to get it done like Sam. He is smooth like a con man, i am clumbsy like a baffon at time, I admit
My message to him was a heated one, that if Im out there in Cali, ill stop by and we can deal with our issues man to man ( I did not threaten him with bodily harm at any point) I also called him a Cack Suka, cause that how i protray him.Dont trust him.If your content and have the money to spend on multiple motors with failed sleeves from Humidity then be my guest...Honestly i had a great time on these forums, and made friends and enemies and will take some hard learned lessons with me in life...
<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 10-29-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Julian is correct we will remain friends. MRC has done alot for me and Im sure they will to get me back on the road soon enough. I am truely sorry to see them go as I have alot of great memories there. I will be trying to contact both GTM and MRC tommorrow to work out a 3 way with all the parties including the 3rd party to arrange everyone to speak at once. I have no hard feelings towards Julian as I know he is a passionate guy and some times that passion boils over. I wish him the best and it will be a sad sad sad day when they close up shop.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:35 PM
UMW350Z

'Sent you a PM back Julian...please do the right thing. Not just with myself, but Rome too, he has much more at stake than what I am asking for.

It doesn't have to end blaming everyone, it will speak to your character if you take care of all the issues which have been presented to you and you know them to be MRC's fault. I think I speak for Rome as well when I say that neither one of us think you are a 'bad' person...sometimes **** happens, it is all in how you handle it

I ask you to think about what I just said before you reply to me...'

Maybe I am a *****, but I kinda feel bad from MRC now...
Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

'Sent you a PM back Julian...please do the right thing. Not just with myself, but Rome too, he has much more at stake than what I am asking for.

It doesn't have to end blaming everyone, it will speak to your character if you take care of all the issues which have been presented to you and you know them to be MRC's fault. I think I speak for Rome as well when I say that neither one of us think you are a 'bad' person...sometimes **** happens, it is all in how you handle it

I feel bad for MRC too Julian was my good good friend
Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by r0mey
if gtm delivered the performance they advertise your friendship would have never been tested.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:57 PM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by r0mey
And Matt and Oliver were always nice to me....it truely is unfortunate
Old 10-30-2008, 05:00 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I saw that and still see others blaming MRC when GTM has some serious issues to resolve which they have yet to do so. They are the ones in my book leaving people in the cold.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:14 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

your problem is you whine too much... you need to start being a man.. half of your small problems could have been avoided if you were upfront and acted like a man
Old 10-30-2008, 05:44 AM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by doug
your problem is you whine too much... you need to start being a man.. half of your small problems could have been avoided if you were upfront and acted like a man
Who are you? What do you know about my situation? Oh nothing....that right

Where were you when any of my multiple problems went down? CT? Oh ok, didn't know you could hear me 'whining' from up there
Old 10-30-2008, 05:49 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Who are you? What do you know about my situation? Oh nothing....that right

Where were you when any of my multiple problems went down? CT? Oh ok, didn't know you could hear me 'whining' from up there
thats how loud you whine... grow a set next time
Old 10-30-2008, 05:59 AM
Driven1
Professional

Im honestly dissappointed at how easily Julian has given up on this bc honestly some of us KNOW that things are not right. And Im not saying Julian is 100% right here either. Even some of us who don't do this for a living can poke as many holes in GTM's responses as they can come up with convenient excuses.

Alberto (especially) nor myself can get ANY responses to legitimate questions and points that have been made in this thread.

One long winded post (that still proves absolutely nothing) to divert attention and the masses follow. Funny how it works that way.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 AM
discom

LOL..I think you are referring to me. I am not from Japan...as my post in G35driver stated, I am from Singapore...which is nowhere near Sapporo

Deep pockets? I guess you can call it an expensive hobby. But when you consider a G35 here cost USD95k...that is right...ninety five...it does not seem so expensive relatively.

Some of you may think that GTM should have warrantied my 4.2L, but because of my experience with the original 4.2L and on the advise of my engine guy and tuner, I decided to stay away from sleeves.

So I opted for the non sleeved stage 2 4.0L. I was told this longblock with the options I specified will cost about USD20+K, Sam charged me 7k for it. Some of you will say that I should not have to pay anything for it.

But I have been modding cars for a long time and have my own idea of how the game is played. I knew when I bought the sleeved 4.2L that I will be playing the part of pioneer as not many people had installed it. I had no illusions that it will be a straight install with no problems down the road.

As I mentioned before, when the engine was returned to GTM, it was still running well with no overheating problems, it was still putting out 700+whp. But we were worried about the moisture under the oil cap, so we decided to send the car back to GTM for them to analyze.

So for me, getting the 4.0 is like trading in a first generation GTR with transmission problems for a second generation GTR with strengthened transmission. Of course when you trade up, you have to pay something...thus the 7000.

Anyways, I copied and pasted my post in G35driver below.

"I am a GTM customer and I have been lurking in this forum as well as my350z for quite a while.

I live in Singapore and my G35 is modded and tuned in a HKS Technical Factory here.

I have tried to keep out of this thread as I was seriously concerned about the accusations made. But now that more info is available, I feel more comfortable about my relationship with GTM and Sam.

I first bought a 4.2L sleeved engine from Sam and it was delivered to Singapore sometime in January last year.

The engine was installed and on first start up, there was a small oil leak at one spot of the head gasket. It was more like a seepage where oil stained the metal than a continuous leakage.

We called Sam about it and sent him photos of the seepage and he thought that the engine may have been damaged in transit to Singapore.

New HGs were sent over and installed an the seepage was gone.

The engine was broken in and then tuned with Fcon VPro and we got 700+ whp The tuner was surprised at the amount of torque and was raving about the engine.

I was happy with the car and was driving it constantly to Kuala Lumpur where I can really open the throttle.

But we noticed that after a hard run, there was moisture on the underside of the oil fill cap. It was visible to the naked eye. But yet when we drained the oil, we could find no water contamination. It was a puzzle and we decided to send the engine back to Sam for him to analyze. We did not do a teardown here as we did not want to compromise the engine before Sam gets his hands on it.

In the meantime, I got a Cosworth longblock to replace the 4.2. I missed the torque of the 4.2 but loved the high revving cossi 3.5

Sam eventually got back to me and told me that the sleeves were damaged and thought it could be a combination of the hot and humid climate here and the fact that sleeved engines run hotter. He suggested that I go for a 4.0L non sleeved and I agreed.

But I needed another engine urgently as the cossie has done over 300 hard miles at Sepang International Circuit and was due for a teardown.

Sam then sold me a stage 2 3.5L longblock for $7000+ and got it to me within 2 weeks.

This is the engine that is currently in my car and it has been running with no problems for the last 3000 miles including 80 hard miles in Sepang

The 4.0 has arrived and is waiting to go into my car. Sam did not do a straight replacement or warranty though. I had to pay another $7000 cos some parts were upgraded, like cams and cooling system, while others could not be used again, like the head cos of different piston diameter.

I thought that the sum was a bit high and felt that he should have absorbed more cost as I was footing the shipping cost ( which is USD900 one way ), but I am a big boy and i know how the game is played. We cannot prove conclusively that the sleeves were damaged by one party or the other. And the car did run well except for the moisture under the oil cap. So I accepted the cost.

The engine will be installed in November and hopefully all will be well.

Is Sam perfect? Not by a long shot. There were times that I was really frustrated with him. And yes...sometimes he comes across as a know it all. I remember at one stage he was questioning the mechanical and diagnostic skills of my mechanics as well as the skills of the tuner.

It was only after I told him that these mechanics rebuild high power engines on a constant basis and the tuner is a certified HKS trainer, meaning he trains other tuners to tune the Fcon did he accept that skill was not an issue here.

I was also frustrated with his turnaround time. I can work out a schedule with him and the schedule will get delayed again and again.

There were a few times I came away from a conversation with him disappointed and frustrated.

For better or for worse, I stuck with it and now, the engine is back in Singapore and it looks good.

Will I do business with Sam again? Yes.

While he can be a pain to deal with, I must say that he knows his VQ quite well. Even the people from HKS Japan was impressed with the 4.2L.

And when playing this game, I come in with the mindset that there will always be problems as in a way, the few of us that got the 4.2L sleeved are pioneers. It is the same thing as buying a 1st generation car.

As long as communication with Sam is kept civil, and facts are presented, he will eventually admit that he may be wrong...not an easy thing to do, but still doable

I also realize that having the engine from one source and installation and tuning from another source puts me at a disadvantage and I cannot really blame anybody unless the failure is conclusive enough to lay blame on one or the other. So, I don't play the blame game, but work with all involved to resolve the problems.

I wonder how many customers that have bought, installed and tuned their engines at GTM are unhappy?

I now have 4 engines The original 3.5L, a GTM stage 2 3.5L, a Cosworth 3.5L and a GTM 4.0L non sleeved.

If the 4.0L runs well, that will be my primary engine while the rest will be backups "

Quick Reply: interesting bad built motor thread on G35driver.......