Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

NE1 removed PCV on passenger side valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:31 PM
cersoft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Also, by sucking out of passenger and driver's side, you do not get good ventilation. Blow by gases contain fuel and these vapors need to be evacuated - that's the whole point of positive crankcase ventilation used in all OEM setups today.
I read up a whole bunch on this today and what you are saying makes total sense, so I'm just gonna remove the T that goes from d-side to intake and I'm gonna add a breather, apart from this I'm looks like I'm good, although I may add additional vacuum under boost by tapping the p-side intake as well.

Thanks though.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:03 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cersoft
I read up a whole bunch on this today and what you are saying makes total sense, so I'm just gonna remove the T that goes from d-side to intake and I'm gonna add a breather, apart from this I'm looks like I'm good, although I may add additional vacuum under boost by tapping the p-side intake as well.

Thanks though.
I tried this setup and I thought it would be optimal. I found that you will generate minimal vacuum in the crankcase (a single turbo intake does not generate that much suction apparently), which is fine and dandy but what happens if it can't evacuate enough? Or if one of the hoses collapses (use R7 or R9 injection hosing!)? Crank case pressure will build during boost. Also, by sucking out of passenger and driver's side, you do not get good ventilation. Blow by gases contain fuel and these vapors need to be evacuated - that's the whole point of positive crankcase ventilation used in all OEM setups today.

So I ended up with an open breather on the driver's side as a "safety" with the thought that it should only be providing a portal for fresh air entry. It is unmetered air, but I have a MAP setup so it's not a big deal for me...
i think i am building too much pressure in my plenum and i need a breather filter.. do you guys have any pics of adding a breather filter to the drivers side? i already took care of the passenger side with a catch can.. and do you have to remove the whole plenum to add the breather filter?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:54 PM
thawk408

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread...tion+crankcase

Very good crankcase evacuation reading.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
i think i am building too much pressure in my plenum and i need a breather filter.. do you guys have any pics of adding a breather filter to the drivers side? i already took care of the passenger side with a catch can.. and do you have to remove the whole plenum to add the breather filter?
It's hard to get to the back of the valve cover with the plenum on there. If you have really small, flexible hands and arms, you might be able to do it... You may not need to get back there though. I just pulled that 5/8" hose off the turbo intake pipe (that's how the JWT TT kit is plumbed), got some fittings to go to 3/8" nipple and stuck the breather on there. Then you don't actually need to get to the back of the driver's side valve cover at all. How does the Greddy kit hosing connect up to the driver's side valve cover?

Last edited by rcdash; 11-24-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 PM
doug

It's hard to get to the back of the valve cover with the plenum on there. If you have really small, flexible hands and arms, you might be able to do it... You may not need to get back there though. I just pulled that 5/8" hose off the turbo intake pipe (that's how the JWT TT kit is plumbed), got some fittings to go to 3/8" nipple and stuck the breather on there. Then you don't actually need to get to the back of the driver's side valve cover at all. How does the Greddy kit hosing connect up to the driver's side valve cover?
no idea.. maybe one day when i have some time i will take a flash light back there
Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to add a crankcase breather, you can just spin the stock hose 180 degrees (need to bend it some) so that it goes behind the plenum, add a 5/8" male to male coupler and install a breather filter on there. It really is a ***** to get at the clamp on the breather though.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:40 PM
cersoft

Originally Posted by doug
no idea.. maybe one day when i have some time i will take a flash light back there
If you take the intake pipe and throttle body off you can get to the d-side breather really easily ...

I'm gonna throw a breather filter on there so I'll take some pics when I have the intake pipe off next ...
Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone cliffnote the info on this thread. I read it 3 times and still can't follow it.

Anything work?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:55 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

larry,

it's alot like what I was talking about last night.
use a breather on the driver side valve cover to allow fresh air into the CC......open up the PCV to allow for a great volume of CC ventilation....check valves, etc.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so basically you are using a larger volume check valve to prevent boost from entering the CC, rather than a smaller PCV valve?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 AM
doug

Originally Posted by cersoft
If you take the intake pipe and throttle body off you can get to the d-side breather really easily ...

I'm gonna throw a breather filter on there so I'll take some pics when I have the intake pipe off next ...
i appreciate that
Old 11-25-2008, 06:11 AM
str8dum1

Here's my breather. You wont be able to get it on without removing the plenum or maybe at least the intake pipe. I did mine when I did my injectors.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 AM
doug

from the looks of that.. it appears you can
Old 11-25-2008, 06:17 AM
str8dum1

I used a new hose and you cannot secure it to the VC without removing the pipes. Of course you can get to the filter, once you have it installed. But thats not what it looks like stock.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take off the intake manifold to get easy access to the breather. it is easy and worth it. the manifold comes off in about 10 minutes of times. I wouldn't even think twice about doing any other way.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:48 AM
doug

ok so forgive my ignorance.. after i take the plenum off.. do i use the existing hose? or do i need to purchase a new hose.. and can i get the breather filter at my local autoparts store? or do i need to order it from some where
Old 11-25-2008, 11:15 AM
doug

I see K&N makes them.. so i will check my local stores first
Old 11-25-2008, 12:10 PM
doug

from the looks of this picture.. i only have to remove the upper plenum and the TB

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-25-2008, 09:24 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCam
larry,

it's alot like what I was talking about last night.
use a breather on the driver side valve cover to allow fresh air into the CC......open up the PCV to allow for a great volume of CC ventilation....check valves, etc.
By opening up the PCV, you mean drilling it out so that it's no longer a "valve"? Wouldn't this cause a vacuum leak condition with the breather on the driver's side?

I have a breather on the driver's side, and a check valve between the PCV and plenum. I was considering adding an LT1 smog pump to kick in under boost, but it would be kind of a pain mounting it up.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by JonnyC
By opening up the PCV, you mean drilling it out so that it's no longer a "valve"? Wouldn't this cause a vacuum leak condition with the breather on the driver's side?

I have a breather on the driver's side, and a check valve between the PCV and plenum. I was considering adding an LT1 smog pump to kick in under boost, but it would be kind of a pain mounting it up.
Drill it out and run both the driver/passenger valve covers to a catch can, then to a turbo inlet pipe. This will create a vacuum, although its not very much of one. Or you could run both open if you really want. There doesnt "have" to be a vacuum applied.

Having vacuum on only the passenger side will work also, but it is not normally how people do crankcase evac systems. Pretty much PCV ftl.

Last edited by thawk408; 11-25-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: NE1 removed PCV on passenger side valve cover?