Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Setback

Well, today was the first setback since the motor was started. The drivers side rear caliper stripped out completely when I tried to just hand tighten the banjo bolt for the brake line . When we cleaned up the threads with the tap it just didn't have enough material left to provide solid threads. I'm not sure what the fix is for this problem, but it is time to get a professional involved - Frank Hill to the rescue.

I am able to use the parking brake with the rotors on, so the car is back on its wheels for transport to Frank on Tuesday.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

helicoil?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:53 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking same thing. But its a sunday and I just can't visualize where you stripped it out?

Tom

Originally Posted by str8dum1
helicoil?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Tom - it is stripped where the banjo bolt connects to the caliper on the rear brake.

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04115.jpg

Its the center hard line. This hardware was removed to install the brand new SS lines.

helicoil?
Possibly, but I'm not sure if it will hold up strength wise. I was thinking maybe drill it out a bit and step up to a lrger banjo bolt, but this would cause fitment issues with the lines I think.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:49 PM
thom000001

I would go this route. You can always get a piece of tubing for this and the bender (autozone will probably rent ya a little bender for free). Brake tubing is usually cheap (made all new hardlines with a friend for his supra once, wasn't hard at all, also bent lines for a 10 nozzle wet nitrous kit for a viper.....that was some work).

Tom

Originally Posted by Cass007
I was thinking maybe drill it out a bit and step up to a lrger banjo bolt, but this would cause fitment issues with the lines I think.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For you guys just wanting to throw up a number you dont need axles lol.

Jeremy proved they arent really neccessary, I have abused stockers since being NA launching at 7000rpm's. If it wasnt for my freak breakage on the street and finding a SICK deal on some DSS 5's a guy was parting out I wouldnt have bothered. Even when I go to the track on DSS 5's I take stockers as backups, and used them my 1st time out when the freaking c-clip came off the joint.

Preload the drivetrain and your fine. Plus dont lie to yourselves, if your not good at drag racing, you wont go to the track and have good numbers up within 5 passes. Most go run a 12.9 @ 120 mph and leave dissapointed never to return lol...
Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 AM
thom000001

Plus if you run a real tire (i.e. something on a 15in or 16in wheel especially a 28in tall tire) you are actually being much easier on the drivetrain than a 18+in tire, and are much less prone to wheelhop.

I don't care if you halfshafts were forged from god's femur's, if you get enough wheel hop they will break.

tom

Originally Posted by Alberto
For you guys just wanting to throw up a number you dont need axles lol.

Jeremy proved they arent really neccessary, I have abused stockers since being NA launching at 7000rpm's. If it wasnt for my freak breakage on the street and finding a SICK deal on some DSS 5's a guy was parting out I wouldnt have bothered. Even when I go to the track on DSS 5's I take stockers as backups, and used them my 1st time out when the freaking c-clip came off the joint.

Preload the drivetrain and your fine. Plus dont lie to yourselves, if your not good at drag racing, you wont go to the track and have good numbers up within 5 passes. Most go run a 12.9 @ 120 mph and leave dissapointed never to return lol...
Old 01-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I have never gotten wheelhop in the Z. If you do, let off....
Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 AM
thom000001

I do in the G, but that was on crap tires (well not crap but nothing that holds too well)....and yes I just let off right away.

Was so bad I'd get wheelhop in 3rd at the strip.....ugh.....new tires in store though woohoo

I have never gotten wheelhop in the Z. If you do, let off....
Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Street tires in a high hp car @ the track FTL!

Throw some slicks on and go to town man...
Old 01-12-2009, 08:10 AM
thom000001

I am DR's for DD and 28in slick for

Street tires in a high hp car @ the track FTL!

Throw some slicks on and go to town man...
Old 01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

[QUOTE=Alberto;6795745]For you guys just wanting to throw up a number you dont need axles lol.[QUOTE]

Thanks Berto - although I'm not sure if that was a put down as well . I'm just being realistic about how I intend to enjoy my car. I have not been to the drags in a very long time and cannot say if I would enjoy it or not today. Also, I'm not sure I want to make all the mods that track safety requires.

I do appreciate the feedback on the axles though .

Any advice on my caliper problem??

Last edited by Cass007; 01-12-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 AM
jtgli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advice: Get an set of Endless BBK : )
Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by jtgli
Advice: Get an set of Endless BBK : )
The rabbit hole of funding is deep enough already Jon - Thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

A few updates:

I have a pending sale of my TN kit so I took the car down to Hill's Garage to have the kit and the exhaust removed. The Z is missing headlights (still at CiNcity - hopefully back next week, right Nic ) and has no brakes since my DIY on the Brembo swap ended in utter failure (looking for a beat up & cheap set of Brembo rears). Loading the trailer in the dark with no brakes or headlights was awesome (not!!), there was only about 2-3" of space on either side of the rear wheels before the guard rail and serious rim damage and I had to use the parking brake as my only means to stop the car. The loading experience was only topped by me finding out that the car sat too low on the trailer for the doors to open and I had to crawl out the rear hatch. Not so easy as I an not the smallest guy in the world.

Frank got everything off the car for me in short order and we loaded it back on with some wood under the front tires so the doors could open. I bagged and tagged all the parts for the TN kits new owner so inventory and install would be simple. When I got home I had to remove the plenums to get the injectors out since they were sold with the kit, at least that went smoothly.

Just a few pics since I was pressed for time cause I didn't want to fight Baltimore rush hour and had to get the trailer back. Oh, my neigbors must love me for running the car with open exhaust when I took it off the trailer at home.

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04159.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04160.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04161.jpg

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04162.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04163.jpg

You can catch a glimpse of Frank in the first 2 pics.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:54 AM
thom000001

Starting to come along Cass....

Hey do you happen to have a set of non-brembo rears laying around????

Tom

A few updates:

I have a pending sale of my TN kit so I took the car down to Hill's Garage to have the kit and the exhaust removed. The Z is missing headlights (still at CiNcity - hopefully back next week, right Nic ) and has no brakes since my DIY on the Brembo swap ended in utter failure (looking for a beat up & cheap set of Brembo rears). Loading the trailer in the dark with no brakes or headlights was awesome (not!!), there was only about 2-3" of space on either side of the rear wheels before the guard rail and serious rim damage and I had to use the parking brake as my only means to stop the car. The loading experience was only topped by me finding out that the car sat too low on the trailer for the doors to open and I had to crawl out the rear hatch. Not so easy as I an not the smallest guy in the world.

Frank got everything off the car for me in short order and we loaded it back on with some wood under the front tires so the doors could open. I bagged and tagged all the parts for the TN kits new owner so inventory and install would be simple. When I got home I had to remove the plenums to get the injectors out since they were sold with the kit, at least that went smoothly.

Just a few pics since I was pressed for time cause I didn't want to fight Baltimore rush hour and had to get the trailer back. Oh, my neigbors must love me for running the car with open exhaust when I took it off the trailer at home.

Attachment 223952 Attachment 223953 Attachment 223954

Attachment 223955 Attachment 223956

You can catch a glimpse of Frank in the first 2 pics.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by thom000001
Starting to come along Cass....

Hey do you happen to have a set of non-brembo rears laying around????

Tom

Nope....I traded them for the Brembos and cash. I'm trolling the classifieds, but am still hopeful I will find what I need or that the repair will be a success. I don't think the seller ever knew the caliper had been cross threaded since the rears came with the stock lines still attached.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 AM
thom000001

If I find a set of base rears soonly, I'll shoot ya a pm about my brembo rears..

Other quick Q, what was involved from going from base rear brakes to brembo rears (just caliper swap, or is it a caliper/bracket/rotor swap too)?

Thanks

Tom

Nope....I traded them for the Brembos and cash. I'm trolling the classifieds, but am still hopeful I will find what I need or that the repair will be a success. I don't think the seller ever knew the caliper had been cross threaded since the rears came with the stock lines still attached.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by thom000001
If I find a set of base rears soonly, I'll shoot ya a pm about my brembo rears..

Other quick Q, what was involved from going from base rear brakes to brembo rears (just caliper swap, or is it a caliper/bracket/rotor swap too)?

Thanks

Tom
All that was needed was the correct Brembo bolts to mount the caliper, they were a different thread pitch I believe, and I had to trim the non-brembo dust cover back. I just took a cutting wheel and cut it off flush and then sanded down the edges. It would have been easy if the banjo bolt wouldn't have jacked up the threads coming out and if I had known that the aftermarket SS line kits usually come with a longer banjo bolt than stock, but all you have to do is double up the copper washers for correct fitment.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A NISSAN SPECIFIC SALVAGE YARD???
Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 AM
thom000001

Cool thanks. I'm going the other way on the rears, from brembo to non-brembo (gotta get something a 15in wheel will clear )

Tom

All that was needed was the correct Brembo bolts to mount the caliper, they were a different thread pitch I believe, and I had to trim the non-brembo dust cover back. I just took a cutting wheel and cut it off flush and then sanded down the edges. It would have been easy if the banjo bolt wouldn't have jacked up the threads coming out and if I had known that the aftermarket SS line kits usually come with a longer banjo bolt than stock, but all you have to do is double up the copper washers for correct fitment.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A NISSAN SPECIFIC SALVAGE YARD???

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress