Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:11 AM
350sol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtgli
Advertising expense huh? Hmm I might need some Ameriprise Financial stickers in my future soon hahahahahahaha.
jon, you do that and ill have to call you a toolbag
Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to another member from PA that is nearby. Looks like our meets may get a little larger this summer.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You decided on a tuner yet?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

After speaking directly with Dave yesterday we have things all worked out and I will be staying with Function:Tuned.
I do appreciate all of the help given to me by the members I pm'ed for advice and opinions, especially you Berto since you are in the Mid-A and have been down this road before.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No problem, you are in good hands.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 AM
jtgli

Any chance your car will be able to make the show @ the farm show complex the last weekend of feb? Would be nice to have an additional f/i Z in "row envy" lol
Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by jtgli
Any chance your car will be able to make the show @ the farm show complex the last weekend of feb? Would be nice to have an additional f/i Z in "row envy" lol
I would be surprised if it comes together that quickly, but if it does I'm down. I will come and check it out for sure though, just let me know when you're headed up there.

No problem, you are in good hands.
Thanks Berto, I still hope we can meet up this year.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Just a quick update:

Jet-Hot parts are in transit home right now and hopefully my lights will be shipped back this week as well.

I was able to sell my old Fujitsubo exhaust and Utec this week to other forum members, thanks to dbashore and cliffordrican and if all goes well my TN Single and DW 650cc injectors will be gone today or tomorrow to another member.

Frank sent me a text that he has mounted the heads and cams along with the rear timing cover and timing chain with new guides and cam position sensors. I will have pics later this week after I get down to see him.

I've had the pleasure this morning of sanding the lower plenum with a dremel. I need to make sure the lip and a bit of the front are smooth so when it gets powder coated it won't look uneven or grainy. This jobs sucks in general, but the fact that its 26 degrees outside isn't making it any more fun. I still have the entire upper plenum to do after that - what a mess .

I purchased a new set of 800cc DW injectors from Dave at F:T, but won't list the price since he was nice enough to sell them to me at his cost.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

My old kit and injectors were sold today - thank you ECLIPSEGST25.

Thanks to the forum and its members I was able to part out all of my old setup without any hassle at all. This helps pay for a big chunk of the build cost that is left.

I found a local company that does grinding and polishing for Harley Davidson and they can smooth out the APS Tallboy plenum for me for minimal cost - $100. I was able to pick up the engine dress up kit and a few other mounts I had done from powder coat today. Pics:

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04215.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04216.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04217.jpg

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04218.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04219.jpg

I spoke with Frank today and he has the valve covers installed and is waiting on the bolts to finish buttoning up the long block. I will have pics of the progress on that hopefully tomorrow if I can get down to Baltimore.

I also got a call today from Jet-Hot with a tracking number, so those parts should be back shortly as well. I am waiting on the last few pieces from powder coat, my headlights from CiNcity and my new injectors and EMS from F:T and then it may be time for assembly.

Its honestly hard to believe that things may start coming together soon.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default Longblock Pics

I got down to Hill's Garage today to see the progress Frank has made on the block and drop off parts from powder coat. I ended up leaving with yet more parts going to get coated as we quickly mocked up a few pieces to see how they looked together. Pics:

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04236.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04237.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04241.jpg

The heads look great, like brand new. I'm waiting for Frank to email me pics he took before putting the valve covers on.

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04238.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04239.jpg
Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default More Pics

We mocked up the intake and front timing cover.

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04240.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04242.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04243.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04244.jpg
Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default More Pics

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04245.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04246.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04247.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04250.jpg
Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

After a few minutes of debate I (we) decided that the red bolts on the blue cover weren't tacky looking and they will stay that color (thanks for being patient with me Frank).

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04248.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04251.jpg

After mock up I noticed these oil injectors for the valves looked very naked, so off they came and the internals slipped right out - off to powder coat with these. You can also see in this pic (below) that there is one spot where the rear timing cover overlaps the front cover and was not coated - oh well, nothing can be perfect and its too much work to remove the rear cover for a touch up.

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04249.jpg

All I can say is that I am more than pleased with how things look so far and I can't wait for the final pieces to arrive so we can get it running. Oh, I almost forgot, the new stickers for my Brembos showed up today as well - all I had to do to get them was file a paypal dispute - they look nice at least. I got them done in silver.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty Motor!!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 AM
SweetDreamZ

cass...looks amazing man! My only piece of advice...think long and hard about not fixing that missed spot of powder coat. Not that it bothers me that much...i think the motor is BEAUTIFUL. However, it looks like you are not skipping ANY steps on this build and are doing it right from the beginning. With that philosphy...right now is the EASIEST time to take that part back off and get it fixed. A small step back right now is better that either: A) regretting it for the rest of the time you own the car OR B) deciding it IS worth it to get it fixed b/c it bothers you so much...AFTER you get it all back together.

Just my 2 cents. If it were me...I'd leave it as is too. Probably no one will notice except you. No one notices the minor scratch on the underside of my front bumper that wraps up just far enough to see it either...but it drives me INSANE!! Just make sure you make the right decision for YOU....now, rather than later!

Keep it up, and keep those pics coming....so jealous right now!!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:06 AM
jtgli

Damn Chris youre really stepping up the game around here. Since youre going all out would you like a c/f hood as well?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
cass...looks amazing man! My only piece of advice...think long and hard about not fixing that missed spot of powder coat. Not that it bothers me that much...i think the motor is BEAUTIFUL. However, it looks like you are not skipping ANY steps on this build and are doing it right from the beginning. With that philosphy...right now is the EASIEST time to take that part back off and get it fixed. A small step back right now is better that either: A) regretting it for the rest of the time you own the car OR B) deciding it IS worth it to get it fixed b/c it bothers you so much...AFTER you get it all back together.

Just my 2 cents. If it were me...I'd leave it as is too. Probably no one will notice except you. No one notices the minor scratch on the underside of my front bumper that wraps up just far enough to see it either...but it drives me INSANE!! Just make sure you make the right decision for YOU....now, rather than later!

Keep it up, and keep those pics coming....so jealous right now!!
- I'm kind of torn, I thought I may be able to cover it somehow, but if not I can live with it (I think). Part of the problem is that I don't know how much it will stick out until it gets fully assembled.

Damn Chris youre really stepping up the game around here. Since youre going all out would you like a c/f hood as well?
I'm trying to do a few things I haven't seen before, although I honestly haven't been to a HIN show, so maybe this has all been done .

I am trying to keep the exterior look as stock as possible for now, with the exception of the Stillen fascia - no CF parts and no decals, not even a lip on the Stillen.

If any members are selling one of the molded fiberglass sub boxes (not a Zenclosure) in DB, specifically the one that holds the two 10" subs, send me a PM, maybe we can work a deal.

Similar to this: https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...unk-setup.html
Old 01-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Driven1
Professional

Cass, Drop me a line. I might be looking to sell my custom FG enclosure. Unfortunately it's 1 12" and 2 screens though.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:00 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks amazing man, keep it up
Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default Now I feel just a bit baller....

I traded texts with Nic at CiNcity Designs yesterday and got some great news:

MY LIGHTS ARE DONE !!!

Nic was nice enough to offer me a preview, he put my shizz on youtube!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yuSHqRcvNlo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yuSHqRcvNlo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've watched this about 10 times while having some alone time Name:  jerkit.gif
Views: 405
Size:  1.9 KB.

For those of you considering this mod let me say that it is neither cheap nor fast, but I must say that this is one of my favorite things I've done so far .

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress