Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
II've watched this about 10 times while having some alone time Attachment 226104.

btw. the lights look great brutha!, its like x-mass still for you huh.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:18 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded texts with Nic at CiNcity Designs yesterday and got some great news:

MY LIGHTS ARE DONE !!!

Nic was nice enough to offer me a preview, he put my shizz on youtube!!!

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/yuSHqRcvNlo&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

I've watched this about 10 times while having some alone time Attachment 226104.

For those of you considering this mod let me say that it is neither cheap nor fast, but I must say that this is one of my favorite things I've done so far .
They turned out nice!!! I just found a youtube vid of my headlights, which I posted in the CiNcity thread. I didn't fap to it though.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 PM
sektor 11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. i read this entire thread. can we some how fast forward to March? I'm sure you've thought that many times cass...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

I picked up the newly sanded plenum from a shop called Industrial Grinding and Polishing here in York, PA. It turns out that they polish almost all of the parts for Harley Davidson motorcycles - a vey cool place - lots of robots doing the production work.

Anyhow, the plenum is nice and smooth and should be able to take the powder coat much better this time. I also learned while I was there that they offer a process where they push a type of abrasive mud mixture through cast parts so that they are made completely smooth in finish. I wonder how much benefit HP-wise it may have if the APS manifolds and/or lower plenum had a smooth interior surface rather than the rough cast surface? I'm getting very close to assembly, but still have time to take a few weeks longer if it would be benefical (and not cost prohibitive).

If any of the really tech oriented members (Dave, Tom, go-fast. Raj, Sam, Sharif, quadcam, etc.) would like to offer an opinion I would like to hear it.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default Jet-Hot is Back!!!

I received my parts back from Jet-Hot on Friday. I give those guys mad props, they stayed in contact throughout the process and never seemed annoyed when I would call to check on things.

As many of you that are following my thread may remember, I sent the parts to Jet-Hot taped in a VERY specific manor so I would not have to worry about re-tapping holes or sanding mounting surfaces clean. I must say that I was fairly concerned that my instructions would not be followed correctly, but as it turns out, I had no reason to worry. The parts came back just like I asked and I am a very satisfied customer!!!

My Build: The Good, The Bad &amp; The Progress-dsc04277.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad &amp; The Progress-dsc04278.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad &amp; The Progress-dsc04279.jpg
Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know people were doing this sort of thing in the viper community a little. But it never really took off.....probably a cost-vs-reward thing.

I would think it would mean more on a N/A application due to the slower velocity of the air being drawn through the manifold. In our situations now we are blowing the air forcibly through.

So yes it would probably cause some benefit but I don't know how much. Hey if its cheap enough why not....

I'm just making guesses though. Any physics buffs around?????

tom

I picked up the newly sanded plenum from a shop called Industrial Grinding and Polishing here in York, PA. It turns out that they polish almost all of the parts for Harley Davidson motorcycles - a vey cool place - lots of robots doing the production work.

Anyhow, the plenum is nice and smooth and should be able to take the powder coat much better this time. I also learned while I was there that they offer a process where they push a type of abrasive mud mixture through cast parts so that they are made completely smooth in finish. I wonder how much benefit HP-wise it may have if the APS manifolds and/or lower plenum had a smooth interior surface rather than the rough cast surface? I'm getting very close to assembly, but still have time to take a few weeks longer if it would be benefical (and not cost prohibitive).

If any of the really tech oriented members (Dave, Tom, go-fast. Raj, Sam, Sharif, quadcam, etc.) would like to offer an opinion I would like to hear it.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

My Build: The Good, The Bad &amp; The Progress-dsc04281.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad &amp; The Progress-dsc04282.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad &amp; The Progress-dsc04283.jpg
Old 02-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

My Build: The Good, The Bad &amp; The Progress-dsc04284.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad &amp; The Progress-dsc04285.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad &amp; The Progress-dsc04286.jpg

My Build: The Good, The Bad &amp; The Progress-dsc04287.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad &amp; The Progress-dsc04288.jpg

This process was both lengthy and costly, but if it keeps my temps down and allows me to not run heat wrap then it will be worth it to me to have a nice clean look.

I decided that since I have two more trips to the powder coater I would look and see if I could waste money getting anything else done...... hmmmm, oh look.... the Quaife is just sitting here and the diff cover comes right off . Now the hard part.....Red or Blue

I was reading Rome's comeback thread and he said something that I agreed with 100% - anyone is welcome to post in my thread. I made this thread to share info/experiences with members that are considering going F/I so they could get an idea of what all is involved and what can be expected in terms of parts, labor, time and $$$$.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by thom000001
I know people were doing this sort of thing in the viper community a little. But it never really took off.....probably a cost-vs-reward thing.

I would think it would mean more on a N/A application due to the slower velocity of the air being drawn through the manifold. In our situations now we are blowing the air forcibly through.

So yes it would probably cause some benefit but I don't know how much. Hey if its cheap enough why not....

I'm just making guesses though. Any physics buffs around?????

tom
Thanks Tom - I was thinking of the air tumbling less because of the smoother surface, but the area is so compact and has many changes in direction, I'm not sure there is any benefit. I'm would guess the cost to be around $300 per manifold at the minimum because they make custom plates that block off one entrance/exit at a time to control the flow of the mud.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:16 PM
thefireboy

well i have fully read this intire thread and all i can say is wow.. i have seen this motor in person on sat and it is awesome and really i mean really those pics dont do the motor any justice at all.... trust me... great documentation... great experience. i am really glade you are in good hands though.. and the only reason you didnt go with the FCON is because dave does not tune the fcon anyways good luck with the rest of it. everything is looking great...
Old 02-01-2009, 09:55 PM
terps

if you look at the cosworth plenum its not smooth, something about the added friction speeds up the flow of air, extremly counter intuative. i wouldnt stress it youll have a sick setup regardless
Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.. I actually read all 16 pages! Interesting stories!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:36 AM
35Z

Originally Posted by terps
if you look at the cosworth plenum its not smooth, something about the added friction speeds up the flow of air, extremly counter intuative. i wouldnt stress it youll have a sick setup regardless
+1! That's the theory... I don't know if it would apply under FI application though. I suggest having the flow tested (before/after) if your interested...then post the results.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by terps
+1! That's the theory... I don't know if it would apply under FI application though. I suggest having the flow tested (before/after) if your interested...then post the results.
I didn't know that about the Cosworth - very counter intuative indeed. My APS Tallboy was very grainy on the inside, I assumed from the casting process, not necessarily by design, so I had it sanded smooth at the same time the outside was done.

I am looking at these little things now for two main reasons. First, everything is still in pieces, so it would be much cheaper to do any of these projects prior to assembly. Second, I fully expect to max out these turbos and have them be the limiting factor in the amount of HP I can produce, so I am trying to milk every last bit of power out of this setup in the hopes of not having to upgrade to larger turbos in the future.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by thefireboy
well i have fully read this intire thread and all i can say is wow.. i have seen this motor in person on sat and it is awesome and really i mean really those pics dont do the motor any justice at all.... trust me... great documentation... great experience. i am really glade you are in good hands though.. and the only reason you didnt go with the FCON is because dave does not tune the fcon anyways good luck with the rest of it. everything is looking great...
Thanks man - looking forward to meeting up at Hill's Garage sometime soon.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:34 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

I'm assuming your talking about extrude honing w/the mud thing?
Old 02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by idwin
I'm assuming your talking about extrude honing w/the mud thing?
I belive so, just repeating the lingo used by the guy that was helping me out. Any opinion on benefits?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
thefireboy

for sure man.. just let me know. and not to get off topic but my g got rear ended yesterday. so now its a race to get everything fix by the show on the 21....
i need something good to happen now
Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by thefireboy
for sure man.. just let me know. and not to get off topic but my g got rear ended yesterday. so now its a race to get everything fix by the show on the 21....
i need something good to happen now
Damn dude that sucks.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:03 PM
thefireboy

for sure but its gettin fixed and i dont have to pay anything

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress