Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 AM
escobar929

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome cass, glad this are starting to look up for you
Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastZ
Nice looking build Cass. Its probably a huge relief simply having a solid plan in place.

The BC-264's are a great value. So are the BC springs & titanium retainers. The titanium retainers are included in the price of the springs
Still using the titanium springs and retainers from Ferrea, its the only thing that survived from the other motor. Been on the phone with Dave at Headgames today as well, cooking up a little something extra on the side.

Heard from Mike at Blouch today as well. He gave me a great price on the re-build (so good I can't post it) and best part is the turn time is less than a week. Those guys are awesome!!

Longblock is at Hills now and being disassembled. Pistons and rods showed up today and are off to Justice on Friday morning along with the block. Its full speed ahead - time to empty my wallet again .

Almost forgot, I grabbed the front fascia when I dropped off the longblock and took it to the painter yesterday. Painter is fixing the peeling by the headlights for free - WOOT!!

Last edited by Cass007; 04-22-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:04 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Hell yes for the progress........let the beast come alive.........again.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice to see the recent turn of events

BC cams FTW

IMO if you're doing headwork (port work/valve job) it is a waste of money given your power goals.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:31 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Nice to see the recent turn of events

BC cams FTW

IMO if you're doing headwork (port work/valve job) it is a waste of money given your power goals.
+1

glad to see where things are going 2
Old 04-23-2009, 11:53 PM
nyqueenz

Originally Posted by Cass007
I had one last conversation today with Frank at Hill's Garage to go over options and costs for a re-build and have decided to pull the trigger. I was all set to purchse a rev-up longblock from TurboTim at SFR, but after Frank told me that we would need to purchase all new cam gears, chains and guides to convert the rev-up block to DE since he didn't trust any of the pieces from the original build, I gave in and am surrendering my stock longblock. A big "Thank You" to Tim for all his efforts.

The new setup will be as follows:

BC Pistions .20 over
BC Rods
JWT C2 Cams
JWT Springs & Retainers (unless I can use my Ferrera springs and retainers)
Rev-up Oil Pump - New (again)
Rev-Up Head Gaskets - New (again)
ACL Race Bearings - New (again)

These components were chosen based on what Frank and Dave gave as input for what they knew best and trusted to make the power goal I had set - 600+whp on the DD Dyno at F:T.

I know my luck must be changing because the most unexpected WIN came out of today. When Frank called Jim Justice to find out about turn time on the block for machining he was told 3-4 days . Needless to say I almost shat myself and immediately had Frank order the needed parts and had them sent 2 day air. The plan is to get the block to Hill's tomorrow for disassembly and have all the parts and block ready for delivery to Justice Racing on Friday this week. JUSTICE RACING - FTW!!

I should hear about the turbos tomorrow and hope that Blouch can rush the turn time on repairs now, since I didn't think I was in a hurry when I dropped them off on Friday.

A big "Thank You" to Frank and Suzanne Hill at Hill's Garage for sticking with my project and doing as much as possible to help me through this mess. They are both truly stand-up people that go above and beyond to help their customers out. Frank got me pricing on parts that is so sick I feel better than a crackhead that just found a $5 rock in his pocket.

A "Thank You" as well to Dave at F:T for hooking us up with the pros at Justice and for putting up with my daily barrage of text messages. I really appreciate you taking time to answer my questions and I look forward to seeing you soon....REAL SOON!!

As you may be able to tell, I am very excited about my project again today and am keeping my fingers crossed and praying that things go smoothly this time around. Best of all, I may have my car ready for the F:T BBQ, ZdayZ and the Airstrip Event. More updates as things progress .
Chris… good that you keepin your head above game my brother.. we both got a big projects ahead of us. I’m a soul believer that things can only get better.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:50 AM
UMW350Z

lots of hands in the cookie jar known as your car! Seems like they are all good hands though

600 on the FT dyno??? pfff first dibs on a ride at a F:T meet
Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default Little Update

I picked up the turbos fram Blouch yesterday - rebuilt again with new catridges. Mike even saved the old bearings and some of the oil that they drained out so I could see and feel how gritty the material was. A big Thank You to Blouch again for the great pricing and awesome turn time - those guys are awesome. FYI - there were another set of APS turbos there to have mods similar to mine done to them, anyone want to fess up to who they belong to??

The front fascia should be done today from re-paint and powdercoating should be done tomorrow. I decided to powdercoat the cam covers again because failure will not run my life. I fixed a few of the cosmetic things that I thought could have done better as well and am excited to see the result.

Frank confirmed that Justice Racing has started on the machining process and all is moving smoothly there as well.

Look for a post from Dave at Headgames in my thread in the next week or so detailing what I am having done to my heads and what gains can be expected over the stock heads. Headgames is trying to put together an economical package to give VQ owners some bang for their buck in terms of HP vs $$$$. I will be the first person with this particular package, but am not a perfect test mule since I will not have a baseline dyno for my motor with the stock heads. Dave will have a comparison to the stock heads in terms of flow testing (cfm).

Overall I would like to thank all the vendors involved for the unbelieveable turn time and keeing things on schedule so I will have a chance at making the airstrip event in NC.

Also, a Thank You as well to Frank Hill for sourcing my parts at cost for the re-build and for always taking my calls or texts and letting my car live at his shop for the past 2-3 months (just like Nick's G37 ), I've started to think of my and Nick's cars as Hill's Garage shop cars. Frank and Suzanne have been just awesome throughout this entire process and I'm truly glad I have gotten to know them both.

A final Thank You and shout out to Dave at Function Tuned for his input on the re-build and the hook-up with the guys at Justice. He has been waiting very patiently for me to finish up this project and show the VQ community what the Vi-PEC can offer as an EMS. He also responds to my texts whenever I need his input or opinion (we are like 14 yr old girls that way ) and I'm looking forward to seeing him in the next few weeks if all goes as planned.

I'm not sure if I will do all the pics again or not as things come together since 90% of it should look the same, but if people want to see them I will post them up. Thanks to everyone who has offered their support in my period of fail and helped me turn the corner and finish this project, there really are some very nice people on this forum.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
lots of hands in the cookie jar known as your car! Seems like they are all good hands though

600 on the FT dyno??? pfff first dibs on a ride at a F:T meet
Going to be at the Open House / BBQ coming up in mid May?? Maybe I will see you there.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:05 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice,
Glad its coming back together for ya.

Headgames is the shizzle.....they did SP's rediculoso heads

tom

I picked up the turbos fram Blouch yesterday - rebuilt again with new catridges. Mike even saved the old bearings and some of the oil that they drained out so I could see and feel how gritty the material was. A big Thank You to Blouch again for the great pricing and awesome turn time - those guys are awesome. FYI - there were another set of APS turbos there to have mods similar to mine done to them, anyone want to fess up to who they belong to??

The front fascia should be done today from re-paint and powdercoating should be done tomorrow. I decided to powdercoat the cam covers again because failure will not run my life. I fixed a few of the cosmetic things that I thought could have done better as well and am excited to see the result.

Frank confirmed that Justice Racing has started on the machining process and all is moving smoothly there as well.

Look for a post from Dave at Headgames in my thread in the next week or so detailing what I am having done to my heads and what gains can be expected over the stock heads. Headgames is trying to put together an economical package to give VQ owners some bang for their buck in terms of HP vs $$$$. I will be the first person with this particular package, but am not a perfect test mule since I will not have a baseline dyno for my motor with the stock heads. Dave will have a comparison to the stock heads in terms of flow testing (cfm).

Overall I would like to thank all the vendors involved for the unbelieveable turn time and keeing things on schedule so I will have a chance at making the airstrip event in NC.

Also, a Thank You as well to Frank Hill for sourcing my parts at cost for the re-build and for always taking my calls or texts and letting my car live at his shop for the past 2-3 months (just like Nick's G37 ), I've started to think of my and Nick's cars as Hill's Garage shop cars. Frank and Suzanne have been just awesome throughout this entire process and I'm truly glad I have gotten to know them both.

A final Thank You and shout out to Dave at Function Tuned for his input on the re-build and the hook-up with the guys at Justice. He has been waiting very patiently for me to finish up this project and show the VQ community what the Vi-PEC can offer as an EMS. He also responds to my texts whenever I need his input or opinion (we are like 14 yr old girls that way ) and I'm looking forward to seeing him in the next few weeks if all goes as planned.

I'm not sure if I will do all the pics again or not as things come together since 90% of it should look the same, but if people want to see them I will post them up. Thanks to everyone who has offered their support in my period of fail and helped me turn the corner and finish this project, there really are some very nice people on this forum.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:15 PM
thefireboy

yes for sure they definately have a confirned bed there with very soft pillows anytime they need.. hopefully very soon it will be out of there so i cna enjoy it for the summer.. i guess time will tell...
i know you have your brakes but i still thin kyou should get a set of WP PRO brakes.. they would look sick.. even like a 6 pot all the way around or something or an 8 and 6... got to have something good to stop it when you are pushing her limits at the air strip......

P.S. im getting tired of doing things a second time if you know what i mean...
Old 05-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Talked to the vendors today, machining on the motor should be done Wednesday and heads should be done Thursday or Friday moning. I have the turbos and front fascia in hand and ready to go.

I'm trying to push to make the airstrip, but Frank and Dave are the voices of reason. Frank wants to make sure everything is perfect and that I know how to drive the car before doing any top speed runs and Dave wants the tune to be 100% for me and isn't wanting any deadlines to have it done in 2-3 days.

I am Jack's broken heart (think Fight Club ). They are both right, so I will calm down and just be patient. The weather sucks here in PA right now anyhow, rain almost every day, so I wouldn't be driving the car anyway.

BTW - Thanks to Terry (ttg35fort) for my newest mod, SFR triple pump hanger - dual Walbros bishes!!! So much for the fuel system being the bottleneck of my power.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:28 AM
escobar929

^why dual pumps, just get a thicker wire

i would also say patience will pay out in the end
Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by escobar929

We already were prepared to go with the thicker wire, but Dave at F:T thought we would run out of pump before the turbo maxed out. This new setup will be much more reliable and offer all the fuel I need. I will have each pump connected by its own 8 gauge wire direct to the battery.

BTW - I hope you get your issues sorted out escobar.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:07 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

But he would also need 500cc injectors

Good luck Cass.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Good luck Cass.
.... I see what you did there. Maybe trade the Vi-PEC for the SS box
Old 05-05-2009, 04:49 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by superchargedg

Good luck Cass.
.... I see what you did there. Maybe trade the Vi-PEC for the SS box
Don't forget to add some "voodoo"!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:01 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Talked to the vendors today, machining on the motor should be done Wednesday and heads should be done Thursday or Friday moning. I have the turbos and front fascia in hand and ready to go.

I'm trying to push to make the airstrip, but Frank and Dave are the voices of reason. Frank wants to make sure everything is perfect and that I know how to drive the car before doing any top speed runs and Dave wants the tune to be 100% for me and isn't wanting any deadlines to have it done in 2-3 days.

I am Jack's broken heart (think Fight Club ). They are both right, so I will calm down and just be patient. The weather sucks here in PA right now anyhow, rain almost every day, so I wouldn't be driving the car anyway.

BTW - Thanks to Terry (ttg35fort) for my newest mod, SFR triple pump hanger - dual Walbros bishes!!! So much for the fuel system being the bottleneck of my power.
It would be AWESOME if you made it to the airstrip Cass! I understand doing things right though - make it if you can. Tell Frank and Dave it'll be great PR to see their handiwork at the 'strip! Talk about turning things around!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Gibbs
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!! I just read through all 46 pages and all I can say is s**t, your recent turn of events is unfortunant to say the least. I hope everything turns out all right in the long run. Good luck

Last edited by Gibbs; 05-05-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-06-2009, 03:55 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Don't forget to add some "voodoo"!
Ahhhh..... see, the mods never stop. I think you owe somebody a royalty check for use of a copyrighted phrase. Possible that the "voodoo" was the missing component in the last two motors. I will start scanning the classifieds to see if I can pick some up .

Thanks for looking out for me again Eric!!

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress