Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bb1314
Hey not sure if you already have any body shop hookup. But I have a place in Elkridge, MD that does some really good work. The most amazing thing is the turn around time!!! These people are speedy + put out good words. Let me know if you want a name and a number.
Definately, if the plastics don't survive the oven I will be painting them this winter for sure. More than likely bring the whole transformer theme to the inside.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself on Sunday, I saw you pull in and you brought all the girls right (baller status)? Your car looked great too, but that SC belt was looking a bit beat, might need a replacement soon.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
Cass, fuel delivery is something you don't wanna mess with... id say go with proven aftermarket fuel rails... and decent sized injectors(forgot what size you going with).... later on you'll just need to add twin pump and maybe even bigger injectors if you decide to take it a step further later on.....800hp isn't out of the question at all with race gas on single pump(+proper injectors and sized turbo(s)), you can always use methanol to tune for more power too, though i would be conservative on that......also, IMO twin pump will be the way to go down the road..
- running the DW 800cc injectors now on the stock rails with the JWT mod. I will see what kind of power this makes and then move forward later, I already have all the hardware and rails are relatively cheap. I just don't want to mess up any of the powder coat by taking things on and off several times.

tires are a MUST. My 275-40-18 Khumo ECSTA MX's were junk for even pump-gas power until triple digit speeds.
Folks seem to have good luck with the BFG KDW2's if you have to go to different tires.
New tires will be ordered the same day I pick up the car, I have a bit of good tread left on the falkens (terrible tires) and I want to roast them down to the belts making a few vids before swapping on the new ones. I was thinking of getting the Yokohama Advan Sports.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:53 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Won't take long lol

with the 3.5FD I could roast mine on pump in 3rd lol....with the 3.3FD it would hold almost all 3rd....

I didn't get to go past 1/2 throttle in 1-2, or full in 3rd till like 3 weeks ago lol.

tom

Originally Posted by Cass007
I want to roast them down to the belts making a few vids before swapping on the new ones. I was thinking of getting the Yokohama Advan Sports.

Last edited by thom000001; 05-20-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Thanks Tom.

I've decided to hold off on installing the dual Walbros for now. After speaking with Robbie (Driven1) at the F:T open house I realize that the car will still seem much faster than I am used to and I may need to upgrade to a wider rear wheel to put down traction, but I need to learn how to drive what I have first.

Also, this will let the car just be tuned as is, rather than fabbing upgrades to the fuel system. There is also some debate on whether or not the stock fuel rails, with the JWT mods done to them, will be able to handle the increased flow or if an aftermarket rail is necessary. I will get a baseline number from the current setup and then do some research and make an informed decision down the road. Besides, this will give me an upgrade as consolation the first time I get walked by someone faster

Just trying to be patient as the final step is taken before I actually get to have the car again.... the wait is killing me. Keeping my fingers crossed that it actually makes it onto the dyno this time .

In other news, I got a package last week that was full of win... it was from Wicked CAS. Pics to come shortly. Time to find out if the interior plastics can be powder coated .

Chris, if you are going to stay with the stock pump assembly and the Walbro, DO NOT stay on full throttle too long. On the track, my Walbro sucked the stock swirl tank completely dry on a few of occasions - even when I had a full tank of gas. This happened coming off of corners and at the end of long straights. Of course, every time this happed the motor leaned out and it got very warm. This caused my cylinders to expand a bit and threw my piston-to-cylinder wall clearences out of tolerance.

At the time, I was probably around 500 - 550 RWHP.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:38 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Definately, if the plastics don't survive the oven I will be painting them this winter for sure. More than likely bring the whole transformer theme to the inside.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself on Sunday, I saw you pull in and you brought all the girls right (baller status)? Your car looked great too, but that SC belt was looking a bit beat, might need a replacement soon.
Let me know if you need hook up on the paint job anytime; I'm not going anywhere! You might as well get Redline Design to do a whole transformer theme for you!

I wanted to meet the famous Cass007 too! LOL the girls...? That's how I roll! They're actually local bartenders and 2 of them happen to drive Z's so I asked them to come check it out. I do need a new belt! There's a whole thread in the FI section about running the procharger over 10psi and I'm running... 15psi! It'll be all fixed before the real summer kicks in.

Can't wait to see your car on the road!!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM
escobar929

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im getting excited man, looks like this huge ordeal is coming to an end :biggthumpup:

any word on when it might be tuned?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 PM
sublimemoment

Update??
Old 05-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Got a text from Dave yesterday, my car is up next and he is looking for more boost juice. I'm heading down to see my car and maybe get a vid or two, plus drop off the boost juice.

I've been keeping busy buying small odds and ends to complete the fuel system mods - I got some sweet CJM rails and all the lines from iamdigital - so I should be just about set there.

I also sent my new Wicked CAS sub box out for paint, but I need one more JL 10w6v2 to complete and install it. iamdigital is also sending me a set of the Wicked CAS fiberglass door panels that will be headed out for paint as well.

Finally, I got a new center dash piece and cubby so I can begin the interior mods this winter. I've got some feelers out for wheels as well, but it looks like I would have to drop down to 18" wheels to get toyo888 tires and I'd rather go up to 20" rather than down from the 19"s I have now.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:29 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I moved up to 19" wheels to get my R888s. They are stickier than glue. I am really impressed with dry and WET traction. Awesome - a good bit stickier that Michellin PS2 summer tires but they are not nearly as silent (or long lasting apparently).

305/30R19 in the rear
265/30R19 in the front

They make a very odd noise though. Sharif says it'll go away after 2000 miles, but it's this loud nasal whaaaaaaaaaa sound. It freaked out Hal and his crew when it went onto their dyno today at ZdayZ. (That was a FANTASTIC event btw but I will leave details to that thread)
Old 05-30-2009, 10:39 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

i guess wet traction is better than your expect, but id still recomend people to be carefull with those tires(r888) and water. Other than that they are the ****
Old 05-31-2009, 04:04 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

My issue is that I only have a 9.5" wide rim in the rear, so the 305s won't fit. The best I can do is maybe a 295/30R19, but I have 275s right now.

Loading up for my day trip to VA right now, picking up Frank on the way down and hoping for a day of WIN .
Old 05-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default Just more time as Captain of the Fail Boat

I spent the day at F:T today. I picked up Frank and headed down to VA. My car was on the dyno when I got there and Dave, Robbie, Tuna and Ashely (Robbie's friend) were in the house. Dave tuned and Robbie enjoyed watching me stress out, Tuna gave moral support and seemed to understand about as much of what was going on as I did. Robbie and Ashley did attempt to keep me occupied by lighting off fireworks in the middle of the day - thanks, but they lose some of their luster in the sunlight.

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-p5310359.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-p5310352.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-p5310355.jpg

Dave was able to get the car fairly dialed in on the lower rpms and Frank was able to get the leak from the meth tank 90% stopped and down to a very slow drip. A final fix will happen after the tank is empty again and dyno time is over. We hit a small snag when I realized that the exhaust had shifted a bit and the tip on the drivers side was melting the rear bumper

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-p5310361.jpg

Dave was ready to start making pulls for some boost he saw that the car was making zero boost at any rpm. Earlier in the day I could hear the bearings spin after the car shut off, but I couldn't hear them now. Dave checked to confirm the wastegates had springs in them, and they did, but still no boost. An exhaust leak is possible, but nothing could be heard, so that is unlikely.

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-p5310350.jpg

Dave and Robbie seem unfazed by this, but I'm going to lose sleep until I find out what the issue is. I just want an end to the failures and setbacks and am concerned that I will lose yet another month with my car, since I will be on vacation for 10 days in the middle of the month.

Its been a long road, and it appears that the journey isn't over yet.

Last edited by Cass007; 06-01-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Glex25

Sorry to hear Cass

Hopefully it's something simple

Keeping my fingers crossed for you
Old 05-31-2009, 04:51 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jeez, seems about time to pull your stuff from those shops and go somewhere else!
Old 05-31-2009, 05:35 PM
C5_vette

Hang in there man, it will be worth it once its completed.. hopefully its nothing major
Old 05-31-2009, 06:00 PM
shocka04

^^+1, what did frank think of the car not making boost
Old 06-01-2009, 04:06 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
jeez, seems about time to pull your stuff from those shops and go somewhere else!
Every shop on he forums has had setbacks. You just dont hear about most of them because most members dont share all of their experiences like Cass
Old 06-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Clint@Altered
Banned

Smoke test it. You'll find your leak. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:08 AM
escobar929

sorry to hear that, hopefully its something simple
Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Hang in there! Transformers 2's release date is June 26. So you still have a little bit of time

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress