Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you do smoke test yet? Why didn't you ask dave see if he can do that for you at that spot
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Driven1
Professional

LOL @ "take your car somewhere else".

You do realize that this was on a Sunday when nearly every shop I know of is closed...including BOTH that have worked on the car thus far and were working on it?

They both came in to try and help minimize the time before the car gets completed and for the customer. Cars as built as this one ALWAYS have little gremlins to work out before they are finally complete.

Keep in mind this car was assembled wired up to start, idle, and be mobile and then delivered (by flatbed) to F:T for the tune. It hasn't been on a lift since being final assembled.

Trying to diagnose and find things while it is on a dyno, crawling underneath it and it's still hot isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Im sure it's probably something simple and little...it happens. Believe it or not...more than most would like to know. Most people NEVER see the headaches these techs go thru and the little issues that get in the way of them putting them together and getting these cars running properly. The little things are what can be most frustrating but to this point the car hasn't been together or ran enough to have any little issues or kinks to work out.

Last edited by Driven1; 06-01-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
jeez, seems about time to pull your stuff from those shops and go somewhere else!
Every shop on he forums has had setbacks. You just dont hear about most of them because most members dont share all of their experiences like Cass
Exactly, thanks Alberto.

Sorry to hear Cass. Hopefully it's something simple. Keeping my fingers crossed for you
Hang in there man, it will be worth it once its completed.. hopefully its nothing major
sorry to hear that, hopefully its something simple
Hang in there! Transformers 2's release date is June 26. So you still have a little bit of time
Thanks Guys, I'm trying to keep a positive mindset, but I could really use something to go smooth and simple for a change

^^+1, what did frank think of the car not making boost
Smoke test it. You'll find your leak. Good luck!
Have you do smoke test yet? Why didn't you ask dave see if he can do that for you at that spot
Frank's guess is that the wastegates are either broken or stuck wide open from when the car was run previously with no springs. We did not do a smoke test because its not like the car isn't making enough boost, its not making any, so the leak would have to be so large you would be able to hear it quite easily I would imagine. Also, keep in mind this was Sunday, and Dave wasn't going to get started on something that may take hours to track down.

I just hope its something simple and easy, cause I'm honestly losing sleep over this **** now.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Driven1
LOL @ "take your car somewhere else".

You do realize that this was on a Sunday when nearly every shop I know of is closed...including BOTH that have worked on the car thus far and were working on it?

They both came in to try and help minimize the time before the car gets completed and for the customer. Cars as built as this one ALWAYS have little gremlins to work out before they are finally complete.

Keep in mind this car was assembled wired up to start, idle, and be mobile and then delivered (by flatbed) to F:T for the tune. It hasn't been on a lift since being final assembled.

Trying to diagnose and find things while it is on a dyno, crawling underneath it and it's still hot isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Im sure it's probably something simple and little...it happens. Believe it or not...more than most would like to know. Most people NEVER see the headaches these techs go thru and the little issues that get in the way of them putting them together and getting these cars running properly. The little things are what can be most frustrating but to this point the car hasn't been together or ran enough to have any little issues or kinks to work out.
+1 - Thanks for the support Robbie. You know I'm just freaking out.

LOL at remembering the sizzling sound, I think that helped to shorten the day right there. Remember... Exhaust = HOT!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh so this isnt the same shop that did your 1st build?
either way, i can fully appreciate the stress you are going thru. I thought it was the same shop.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Oh so this isnt the same shop that did your 1st build?
either way, i can fully appreciate the stress you are going thru. I thought it was the same shop, and there is no way i could deal with problem after problem.

I think I would be more pissed (at the shop) but more relieved if it was something simple and easy.
As I knew going in, most people do these things in stages, not all at once. New motor, custom turbos and the first Vi-PEC EMS in the US. I just want everything to be easy since I make bagels for a living and have no concept of what goes into tuning cars and making these things work.

I know you are ready to start a project of your own and only hope that you don't have any of the setbacks I am experiencing. Plus, Robbie is 100% correct when he says most customers just don't know what happens. Most people drop their car off and say "give me a call when its ready"
Old 06-01-2009, 09:51 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cass007
As I knew going in, most people do these things in stages, not all at once. New motor, custom turbos and the first Vi-PEC EMS in the US. I just want everything to be easy since I make bagels for a living and have no concept of what goes into tuning cars and making these things work.

I know you are ready to start a project of your own and only hope that you don't have any of the setbacks I am experiencing. Plus, Robbie is 100% correct when he says most customers just don't know what happens. Most people drop their car off and say "give me a call when its ready"
That's a looottt of bagels you're putting into this Autobot!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck Cass. Hopefully its something simple,like boost/vacuum line going into wrong reference port or something on the wastgates.

tom
Old 06-03-2009, 05:01 PM
shocka04

Heard anything from Dave yet?
Old 06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
UMW350Z

....if it is any consolation...the 370Z transformer should be out soon as well...
Old 06-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Spoke to Dave this evening. Wastegates are fine, all connections were checked and are solid, so no leaks. A coin sized piece of rag was found in the passenger side turbo wheel - it was removed and turbo spins freely - origin unknown. Possible I may have a slightly bent impeller blade, but no shaft play. Dave will consult with Blouch in the morning to see if any action needs to be taken.

The car was road tested then...STILL NO BOOST!!!

Dave will remove the intakes tomorrow as well and road test again to rule out that they are being pinched closed under boost. This is unlikely since it should show on the A/F gauge and some boost would still be expected.

Looks like a bunch more lost time and possible turbo removal to sort out the issue. More money wasted as well....**** THIS MOTHER ****IN CAR!!!

I'm tired of hearing that it will be worth it when its done, honestly, at this point I really doubt it could. I just want closure on these issues and to get to drive the car at some point in the near future .

Any suggestions on the solution to my issue are appreciated.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:19 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Cass007
Spoke to Dave this evening. Wastegates are fine, all connections were checked and are solid, so no leaks. A coin sized piece of rag was found in the passenger side turbo wheel - it was removed and turbo spins freely - origin unknown. Possible I may have a slightly bent impeller blade, but no shaft play. Dave will consult with Blouch in the morning to see if any action needs to be taken.

The car was road tested then...STILL NO BOOST!!!

Dave will remove the intakes tomorrow as well and road test again to rule out that they are being pinched closed under boost. This is unlikely since it should show on the A/F gauge and some boost would still be expected.

Looks like a bunch more lost time and possible turbo removal to sort out the issue. More money wasted as well....**** THIS MOTHER ****IN CAR!!!

I'm tired of hearing that it will be worth it when its done, honestly, at this point I really doubt it could. I just want closure on these issues and to get to drive the car at some point in the near future .

Any suggestions on the solution to my issue are appreciated.

DUDE!!! YOU DIDN'T PUT THE F*CKING RAG IN THERE!!! SO WHY SHOULD ANYTHING RELATED TO THAT BE AT YOUR EXPENSE?!?!?!???

SORRY TO POINT FINGERS... BUT THE ORIGIN ISN'T THAT UNKNOWN. EITHER FRANK OR DAVE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR A RAG BEING INSIDE YOUR TURBO PIPING. I DOUBT A PIECE OF RAG SQUEEZED THROUGH THE AIR FILTER.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0

DUDE!!! YOU DIDN'T PUT THE F*CKING RAG IN THERE!!! SO WHY SHOULD ANYTHING RELATED TO THAT BE AT YOUR EXPENSE?!?!?!???

SORRY TO POINT FINGERS... BUT THE ORIGIN ISN'T THAT UNKNOWN. EITHER FRANK OR DAVE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR A RAG BEING INSIDE YOUR TURBO PIPING. I DOUBT A PIECE OF RAG SQUEEZED THROUGH THE AIR FILTER.
+1

Chris, you shouldn't have to eat that one.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and my take it to another shop comments are out of line? sheesh

there are mistakes and then there are continuous problems.
Finger's crossed and prayers said that this will be the last holdup!

Last edited by str8dum1; 06-03-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Motormouth
Banned

first: making bagels is exactly like building and tuning a car, I don't know what you are talking about.

second: how is tracking down how a car is making NO boost, so difficult. I mean, really, it seems like it would be something big or obvious.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:51 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

I hear what you guys are saying, but I'm just tired of playing detective. I just want my issues fixed. Just to be clear, Dave only found it when he took off the wastegates and downpipes to confirm that the turbos were spinning freely and wastegates were functioning properly - not his issue in the least. Also, the bit of rag may have been from Blouch as well, but who knows.... and more importantly, I don't care at this point - although I will be less than pleased if I lose time and money again if the turbo needs to be removed to have the impeller repaired.

Seems like one step forward and two steps back most of the time .

second: how is tracking down how a car is making NO boost, so difficult. I mean, really, it seems like it would be something big or obvious.
+1000 but what do I know? Its possible that the ViPEC is doing something funky as well, but that is over my head by a mile. We are starting with the mechanical issues first and then will move to the electrical side.

What I really want now is to at least get the car driveable in some form, so I can bring it home if I'm going to have down time while waiting for time to open up in Dave's schedule. I have fuel system, interior and sound system mods that I can complete while waiting. Secondly, I need to have shop time that is dedicated soley to my car and resolving its issues and gremlins, not a little done here and there as time permits.

As it stands now, I will be leaving on vacation for a few weeks mid month, so basically I can forget about having the car for the entire month of June. This may be for the best, since it may allow time to get everything worked out while I am away. The only issue I have that is pressing is that I can't sleep. I wake up at points throughout the night and have random thoughts of what the issue could be and how to troubleshoot or eliminate things. I'm just wired that way and do the same thing with my business, but I have full control over what happens with that... I have control issues .
Old 06-04-2009, 03:41 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I really think somewhere in all this your dealing with incompitency, A piece of rag? Come on...
Old 06-04-2009, 04:20 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
I really think somewhere in all this your dealing with incompitency, A piece of rag? Come on...
The rag is what it is, but it still didn't solve the issue of zero boost, which is the issue that has my full attention currently.

To be clear, I have not seen the piece of debris yet and have no idea where it may have come from. In Frank's defense, his shop rags are orange, not red. This is a lose - lose situation for me, since I have complete trust in all the parties involved in my build and finding out where the rag came from will more than likely never happen.

As I have done from the very beginning, I just pass on what has happened when it happens so others considering a similar build can be prepared for what all goes into a build like this instead of getting the sugar coated end result that is normally posted up after completion.

Its been over 6 months without my car now and as the weather gets nicer outside and meets come and go, I miss it more and more. My car ran just fine prior to starting this project, so I really have nobody but myself to blame for starting this mess in the first place.

I think I may take a break from posting for a while and cool off as I can see I'm getting progressively more negative with each post.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:28 AM
escobar929

hang in there man, i have been 8 months w/ out my car and i know exactly how you feel
Old 06-04-2009, 04:56 AM
Jeremys Friend

I feel bad for you Cass. The rag had nothing to do with you, I would definitely grab that turbo out and have it rebalanced because if any of those blades are bent, well it's just a matter of time before it tears up the bearings on that turbo due to the unbalancing.

On another note, checking for a boost leak is as simple as smoke testing it. The smoke tester is shown here below.

Every shop should have one of these. It blocks off all the piping exits, then pumps a small amount of air pressure plus a mixture of smoke into all the pipes. This will tell you exactly where the boost leak is 100% of the time. If this test comes back with no smoke, then you need to look elsewhere (turbos, wastegates, ect)

Also, the ViPec should have no effect on the car making wastegate springs boost at all. This might only have something to do with turning up the boost over wastegate springs.

I wish you the best of luck my friend.

Last edited by Jeremys Friend; 06-04-2009 at 04:59 AM.

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress