Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:33 AM
thefireboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck man hope everything turns out for the best today
Old 06-06-2009, 06:54 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Cass007
I hear what you guys are saying, but I'm just tired of playing detective. I just want my issues fixed. Just to be clear, Dave only found it when he took off the wastegates and downpipes to confirm that the turbos were spinning freely and wastegates were functioning properly - not his issue in the least. Also, the bit of rag may have been from Blouch as well, but who knows.... and more importantly, I don't care at this point - although I will be less than pleased if I lose time and money again if the turbo needs to be removed to have the impeller repaired.

Seems like one step forward and two steps back most of the time .

+1000 but what do I know? Its possible that the ViPEC is doing something funky as well, but that is over my head by a mile. We are starting with the mechanical issues first and then will move to the electrical side.

What I really want now is to at least get the car driveable in some form, so I can bring it home if I'm going to have down time while waiting for time to open up in Dave's schedule. I have fuel system, interior and sound system mods that I can complete while waiting. Secondly, I need to have shop time that is dedicated soley to my car and resolving its issues and gremlins, not a little done here and there as time permits.
As it stands now, I will be leaving on vacation for a few weeks mid month, so basically I can forget about having the car for the entire month of June. This may be for the best, since it may allow time to get everything worked out while I am away. The only issue I have that is pressing is that I can't sleep. I wake up at points throughout the night and have random thoughts of what the issue could be and how to troubleshoot or eliminate things. I'm just wired that way and do the same thing with my business, but I have full control over what happens with that... I have control issues .

Chris....I am really sorry to hear that you are still going through hell with your car. It seems like it never ends for you.

One thing I do DEMAND when my car is worked on is....The tech that starts the work finish the work. That tech works on my car ONLY until its completed.My car is the ONLY car that tech will work on until my car is finished.

None of the BS "I will work on it when I get a chance" BS. How would they like it if I say"finish my car and I will pay you will I get to it"

This is not my car....but it pisses me off to no end when I see what you are going through. I dont care what anyone or shop owner says.....this **** is not rocket science....

Chris....you are paying a shop for an FI car that will work trouble free or whatever. Let the shop handle the headaches......if it does not boost...that between the shop and whoever built the turbo's. If the motor has issues...let the shop who build the motor handle the headaches. You should not have to pay another ^%$@! dime considering your car has not even left the shop as yet

If a shop tells you it will cost you 10 or 20K to get your car to make 500whp.....well that all you have to pay...and any headaches in between..well thats their problem

BTW Chris.......The problem you discribe about your turbo sounds like what happened to my passanger turbo......I could hear a sound coming from it. It will be sent for inspection. Its always bad news when you can hear a turbo when you turn the car off.

Last edited by XKR; 06-06-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:18 AM
epidemic007

wow so ive started at page 1 and read every single post, i must say again wow i truly hope everythign works out for you. just keep your head up u seem like a cool dude and im sure things will be greaat with this car. btw i coulnt stop laughing over the laundry machines lolololol. kindda like wen i bought my flat screen my nutjob retaliated with a pair of jimmy cho shoes. anyway this tread with a big sandwich makes for an exciting saturday morning.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:25 AM
ToastZ

Dam Cass, this sucks.

+1 on pulling all the intake piping and checking for the rest of that shop rag. I would think FT knows the connections on the wastegates, etc.... I'd hunt for the rest of that rag until I was 100% convinced it was no where in the piping and motor.

Now I understand why I've seen my favorite shop owner double, triple and quadruple check stuff as its going back together. OCD FTW on the assembly of a car.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish you the best of luck today with all the **** you have been put thru.I bet that rag is in the ic and maybe in a lot of pieces blocking the flow.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:14 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Wish you the best of luck today with all the **** you have been put thru.I bet that rag is in the ic and maybe in a lot of pieces blocking the flow.
I agree......which should not.......I REPEAT......should not affect Chris's wallet in any additional way.

Last edited by XKR; 06-06-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:00 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dunno, pieces of rag blocking up a 3" pipe so tight there is no boost??

seriously doubt that is the reason. but with all these lil problems, who knows!

good luck!!!
Old 06-06-2009, 12:03 PM
thefireboy

hey call this a stupid statement. please correct me but when the turbos were rebuilt could the turbines have been put in backwards... just brain storming...
Old 06-06-2009, 03:35 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw Dave driving it today and it sounded like it was healthy and boosting fine. Looking forward to an official update! Good luck Chris!!!
Old 06-06-2009, 04:26 PM
UMW350Z

Traded some texts with Dave last night. He will be scoping all of the pipes to confirm no obtructions. I think I'm going to make the 2.5 hour trip down to F:T today, not that I can fix anything, but again.... I have control issues.

I just need to see things with my own eyes and try to make sense of things in my head. It certainly is frustrating spending the money I have and having so many negative results.

In a perfect world, I would be able to spend a few hours with Dave going over all the connections and scoping the pipes. Also, being able to pull the intakes and verify that the turbos are spinning freely.

If I ditch the ViPEC it will be for a Haltech. I will never again use a Utec. I did ask if we could unhook the ViPEC and run the car on the re-flash, but Dave says that the car itself is running perfectly on the ViPEC (it runs great as NA) and there is just no boost.

No way for the turbos to be hooked up backwards - physically impossible. I will ask about the boost control Tom, but I have no idea how to hook it up.

Rude - the evidence I have seen, namely the hose to the charge pipe sucking in, leads me to believe I may have an obstruction, but it would have to be on both sides, which would be odd. I personally am still holding out hope that removing the intakes from the turbos themselves solves my issue, but I live in my own sunny reality most of the time
FWIW- Dave installed and tuned my Haltech with the HKS EVC6...runs like stock but MUCH much faster. Not sure why you want that Vipec so bad!
Old 06-06-2009, 05:14 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djamps
I saw Dave driving it today and it sounded like it was healthy and boosting fine. Looking forward to an official update! Good luck Chris!!!

ooh boy
Old 06-06-2009, 05:15 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Maybe when you're back from vacation the car will be up and running making 700+ WHP
Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 PM
thefireboy

thats cool i hope everything is fixed and we can find out what the problem was...
Old 06-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by XKR
Chris....I am really sorry to hear that you are still going through hell with your car. It seems like it never ends for you.

One thing I do DEMAND when my car is worked on is....The tech that starts the work finish the work. That tech works on my car ONLY until its completed.My car is the ONLY car that tech will work on until my car is finished.

None of the BS "I will work on it when I get a chance" BS. How would they like it if I say"finish my car and I will pay you will I get to it"

This is not my car....but it pisses me off to no end when I see what you are going through. I dont care what anyone or shop owner says.....this **** is not rocket science....

Chris....you are paying a shop for an FI car that will work trouble free or whatever. Let the shop handle the headaches......if it does not boost...that between the shop and whoever built the turbo's. If the motor has issues...let the shop who build the motor handle the headaches. You should not have to pay another ^%$@! dime considering your car has not even left the shop as yet

If a shop tells you it will cost you 10 or 20K to get your car to make 500whp.....well that all you have to pay...and any headaches in between..well thats their problem

BTW Chris.......The problem you discribe about your turbo sounds like what happened to my passanger turbo......I could hear a sound coming from it. It will be sent for inspection. Its always bad news when you can hear a turbo when you turn the car off.
Dammm right..............................................
Old 06-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally... a bit of win!!!

I went down to F:T yesterday to put eyes on the issue first hand and hoping for resolution. After taking a new way down (rt 15, very nice drive) and getting a bit lost, I rolled up in time to see Dave grabbing the scope from a neighbor shop. He confirmed that the internal WGs were welded up tight first and then we moved on to checking the rest of the pipes. When the passenger side intake was pulled, this is what we found:

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-img141.jpg

Turns out that Frank had indeed left a rag in the intake by mistake . It was chewed up pretty good, but futher inspection revealed that there were no other pieces in the IC or other pipes, including the plenum.

Dave took the car out for gas and initially there was still zero boost. A final pull up toward the station and BAM.... WE HAVE BOOST!!! Dave did some more pulls and everything appears normal. Dave cleaned out the filters and put them back on, still runs fine. He doesn't understand why zero boost with just one side clogged, but at this point I'm just happy something worked out for a change.

Very preliminary results showed spool starting ~2200rpm and full boost at ~3800rpm. Dave said the car feels strong and he will probably bump the redline to 8K to get the most out of my top end power .

It took a day for me to post results since I got real sick last night after I got home, probably my body having some type of reaction to the WIN. Actually, I waited to post until I had a chance to speak to Frank this morning. He was very apologetic and immediately offered to make things right with Dave on shop time and had previously said that if he did something wrong and the turbo fails prematurely, he will take care of that as well.

I have said it before, and I say it again now. The world is an imperfect place, accidents happen. How a shop handles their mistakes is as important as how they handle success. I am now focused on getting the car back on the dyno and finishing the tune. I hope to have the car for a few days before leaving for vacation and then having all the fuel mods (hurry up iamdigital) installed and the max power tune done while I'm away.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the good news!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:42 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

WOOOHOOOO!!! See that's the one thing I can trust about Frank. If he screws up anything, he'll offer to cover the financial charge. Most shops would actually cover the financial charge but it usually takes the customer to initiate the request. Now lets hope this beast will be on the road soon!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:45 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

It took a day for me to post results since I got real sick last night after I got home, probably my body having some type of reaction to the WIN.
Glad your luck seems to be turning.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:56 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck, all I can say is wow...
Old 06-07-2009, 03:17 PM
XKR

I went down to F:T yesterday to put eyes on the issue first hand and hoping for resolution. After taking a new way down (rt 15, very nice drive) and getting a bit lost, I rolled up in time to see Dave grabbing the scope from a neighbor shop. He confirmed that the internal WGs were welded up tight first and then we moved on to checking the rest of the pipes. When the passenger side intake was pulled, this is what we found:

Attachment 244370

Turns out that Frank had indeed left a rag in the intake by mistake . It was chewed up pretty good, but futher inspection revealed that there were no other pieces in the IC or other pipes, including the plenum.

Dave took the car out for gas and initially there was still zero boost. A final pull up toward the station and BAM.... WE HAVE BOOST!!! Dave did some more pulls and everything appears normal. Dave cleaned out the filters and put them back on, still runs fine. He doesn't understand why zero boost with just one side clogged, but at this point I'm just happy something worked out for a change.

Very preliminary results showed spool starting ~2200rpm and full boost at ~3800rpm. Dave said the car feels strong and he will probably bump the redline to 8K to get the most out of my top end power .

It took a day for me to post results since I got real sick last night after I got home, probably my body having some type of reaction to the WIN. Actually, I waited to post until I had a chance to speak to Frank this morning. He was very apologetic and immediately offered to make things right with Dave on shop time and had previously said that if he did something wrong and the turbo fails prematurely, he will take care of that as well.

I have said it before, and I say it again now. The world is an imperfect place, accidents happen. How a shop handles their mistakes is as important as how they handle success. I am now focused on getting the car back on the dyno and finishing the tune. I hope to have the car for a few days before leaving for vacation and then having all the fuel mods (hurry up iamdigital) installed and the max power tune done while I'm away.

Thats good to hear.......I am very happy to see that there are people like Frank out there. I dont care about the mistake that was made....its the actions taken after....

BTW who is Frank?? Someone from FT?

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress