Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
UMW350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=George@GTM;7423267]Ahh 6lb springs, that would be the problem Usually you can double the pressure and maintain steady boost. (10lb springs should be good for 20 PSI with EBC).

I am sure the springs will fix that drop off in the top end

For reference, I have the 9.8 PSI TiAL Springs and here is my car at 17PSI:

QUOTE]

I run a 3psi WG spring and it hold 9 psi pretty well...
Old 06-10-2009, 12:32 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't think I will be able to get down tonight. Still at work=fail. Be sure to take lots of pics and vids and post them up tonight .
Old 06-10-2009, 03:22 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
excellent... cass remember when i said that there is no reward unless you go through the journey?...car is beast! great power! so glad you upgraded turbos...(and got it in time for trasnformers 2 )
I agree....He has been to hell and back.......I am sure Chris will love it even more now....

Congrats man.......Very impressive....very impressive...thats all I am going to say
Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
thefireboy

cant wait till after tonight
Old 06-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steady rain in the forecast for the next 3 nights after 9pm = no tuning. Dave having a girlfriend and social life on the weekend = no tuning. Rain again on Monday and Tuesday next week = no tuning . Leaving on vacation on Wednesday AM = no car pickup for a week .

Dave has promised a finished final tune for me on 6/24 when I come back from FL. I will pick up the car on my way home - better safe than sorry (Dave = voice of reason). I have already met my initial goal, so everything from here on up is just a bonus. The car has already exceeded expectations in its current setup. Giving Dave 2 weeks to get things all dialed in and ready for me to bring my baby home.

Downside = no vids for a bit. Upside = lets see how much HP we can make on the Meth and single Walbro .

I will post updates as they are received, since I am always available on the cell and really, what do you do in Disney after dark anyway .
Old 06-10-2009, 05:02 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

so no new tuning for tonight?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:13 PM
sublimemoment

Originally Posted by Cass007
Steady rain in the forecast for the next 3 nights after 9pm = no tuning. Dave having a girlfriend and social life on the weekend = no tuning. Rain again on Monday and Tuesday next week = no tuning . Leaving on vacation on Wednesday AM = no car pickup for a week .

Dave has promised a finished final tune for me on 6/24 when I come back from FL. I will pick up the car on my way home - better safe than sorry (Dave = voice of reason). I have already met my initial goal, so everything from here on up is just a bonus. The car has already exceeded expectations in its current setup. Giving Dave 2 weeks to get things all dialed in and ready for me to bring my baby home.

Downside = no vids for a bit. Upside = lets see how much HP we can make on the Meth and single Walbro .

I will post updates as they are received, since I am always available on the cell and really, what do you do in Disney after dark anyway .

Go see La Nouba!!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:13 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its pretty crazy how that has about the same power curve as the SP 350z

***edit: i thought that SP was using a big single. but its big twins., I guess thats why the curves are close.....

[QUOTE=DaveFunction2ND;7422311]

Last edited by str8dum1; 06-10-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris's car is great but I don't know if I'd go there lol

SP's car does make over 700ft-lbs of tq for over 3k rpm lol....and most of it happends higher than 99.99% of us rev lol.

Still great numbs Chris....now go on vaca and finally relax then come back and enjoy the summer

Tom

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Its pretty crazy how that has about the same power curve as the SP 350z
Old 06-11-2009, 04:04 AM
escobar929

where in FL are you going?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:16 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by thom000001

SP's car does make over 700ft-lbs of tq for over 3k rpm lol....and most of it happends higher than 99.99% of us rev lol.

Still great numbs Chris....now go on vaca and finally relax then come back and enjoy the summer

Tom
+1 on that. Like bringing a knife to a gun fight there

Even with the fuel mods done, my car should top out in the mid-high 7XXwhp range. To go higher I would need to change the plenum, injectors and possibly upgrade the intercooler as well. The car will easily keep me entertained over the summer just the way it is.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by escobar929
where in FL are you going?
Going to Disney for a while and then I'm going to sneak off to see my Mom and brother in Boca. Driving down from PA, so sick of the BS with airports, lines, parking and such. Gonna get my Griswold on...
Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 AM
MikeFunction2nd
Vendor - Former Vendor

There is nothing wrong with driving... Im doing it in july to the sunshine state as well AIRPORTS FTMFL
Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i was just talking about that dyno i posted where you can just drop a line down at ~7200 (still way over 1k rwhp). thats easily where 100% of us rev to.

granted the possible cost differences, but if the SP setup is makes the same power down low as a gt3071, why wouldn't you just get a twin setup like SP? I saw a comparison graph that shows the SP billet turbo's spooling like gt35s but with 50 more hp at the top end.

Granted just reading dynos doesnt really equate to street driving, but wouldnt similar low (under 5k) power feel the same on the street, even if the bigger turbo was still spooling?

I guess i just thought 1000 hp turbos would be dogs down low, but its the same a "normal sized" turbo, so that myth really isnt accurate then.

Originally Posted by thom000001

Tom

Last edited by str8dum1; 06-11-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:59 AM
GreenGoblin

Congrats and enjoy your vacation.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:01 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

i was just talking about that dyno i posted where you can just drop a line down at ~7200 (still way over 1k rwhp). thats easily where 100% of us rev to.

granted the possible cost differences, but if the SP setup is makes the same power down low as a gt3071, why wouldn't you just get a twin setup like SP? I saw a comparison graph that shows the SP billet turbo's spooling like gt35s but with 50 more hp at the top end.

Granted just reading dynos doesnt really equate to street driving, but wouldnt similar low (under 5k) power feel the same on the street, even if the bigger turbo was still spooling?

I guess i just thought 1000 hp turbos would be dogs down low, but its the same a "normal sized" turbo, so that myth really isnt accurate then.
I think I understand what you're trying to get at, but using dynographs that demonstrate top end power to compare the lag between two setups is problematic. What you really need to see is throttle position, power and boost with a WOT pull, preferably from the exact same starting engine speed. On these graphs, we have no idea what the precise starting point was for the pulls...

EDIT: I should add that the SP kit doesn't use run of the mill turbos. That kit shows exceedingly good low end response for such a large turbo. In this case, Cass had already chosen the APS tuner kit and had to rebuild turbos to go with his built block. If there had been a reasonable option for billet wheels or whatever magic SP puts into their turbos, I'm sure Cass would've considered it. If you really want the best of both worlds and are prepared to spend some money, using a twin scroll turbo with SP's quick spool valve would be an awesome combination.

Last edited by rcdash; 06-11-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:34 AM
terps

I think I understand what you're trying to get at, but using dynographs that demonstrate top end power to compare the lag between two setups is problematic. What you really need to see is throttle position, power and boost with a WOT pull, preferably from the exact same starting engine speed. On these graphs, we have no idea what the precise starting point was for the pulls...
also these car are tuned by different people, my setup changed vastly between tuners with no other modifications.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 AM
thom000001

SP's turbo setup is bout the same price as all the other tuner setups. Like Dash mentioned their turbos have great low end response and rediculous high flow. That is actually thanks to the precision built covers. They let a "smaller" turbo flow to crazy flow rates up top.

My 54mm turbos still make full boost in the low-mid 3K rpm range, capable of 600rwhp on pump (even with stock cams if we upped the tune a bit, mine just did 530rwhp on 14psi of boost last week with weaksauce tune). And will flow up to 35+psi of boost for 1000+ bhp. So yes I agree the precision turbos are quite unique in their flexibility.

But back on topic........Glad to see it running and you happy Chris.....now drive to Chicago!!!!! lol

tom

Originally Posted by rcdash

EDIT: I should add that the SP kit doesn't use run of the mill turbos. That kit shows exceedingly good low end response for such a large turbo. In this case, Cass had already chosen the APS tuner kit and had to rebuild turbos to go with his built block. If there had been a reasonable option for billet wheels or whatever magic SP puts into their turbos, I'm sure Cass would've considered it. If you really want the best of both worlds and are prepared to spend some money, using a twin scroll turbo with SP's quick spool valve would be an awesome combination.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by Cass007
Gonna get my Griswold on...

LMAO I think that every time i am loading up for a road trip with the fam. Make sure you don't forget the dog tied to the bumper
Old 06-12-2009, 04:19 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cass-will you be able to make the FT Car Wash? (28th)

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress