Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What in the hell!!!

<----I know you said its not a joke but Im REALLY hoping its s sick joke played on us all man. If the car puked coolant-then was headlift an issue? Was it losing boost?

Im sorry to hear man this is some of the most twisted drama Ive seen happen to a legit guy.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM
MDHRZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roller coaster ride....
Old 06-24-2009, 10:47 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

I just got the car back to the shop. The initial shock and disbelief has worn off. I'm totally recoiling right now and can't even explain the frustration, disappointment and just general sense of loss. I'm actually headed home to go to sleep. Its like a family member just passed.

The car had lower then normal oil pressure on the dyno yesterday but I assumed that was due to the super high engine temps and consistent dyno runs. It never got below 10psi or so at idle but always came up 30 to 60 when revved. Cold starts showed normal to slightly elevated pressures.

I did a small pull on the low boost 16 PSI map 3rd gear (no meth). The car pulled through just fine with no stutters or jerks. I then heard a slight knocking noise as it idled down after the pull and looked over at the oil pressure. Basically at 0. Pulled over and called the tow truck.

I just pulled plugs #2, #1 and #5 and scoped the motor. No obvious signs of detonation (scope is only so clear but det is normally pretty obvious) and the plugs look great. I may come back later when I feel up to it and check the other plugs out but I can be pretty confident that det is not the issue. There was also no oil smoking at any time so we can also assume that no ring lands are cracked or broken.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow man I am terribly sorry to hear that.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

No coolant in the oil. I think overheat was due to metal on metal heat as the bearing came apart. No boost loss and made great power all last night and through the beginning of today.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the first time I pray for someone's car to be running...
Old 06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Cass007
The vid is funny.... not me driving, thats Dave confirming that the car still made boost after we put the intakes back on . I've still never driven the car since before the first motor died.

The late night tuning proved to be for naught, we ran out of pump immediately, even after adding more meth. Looks like the fuel mods will come in handy after all - CJM rails, dual Walbros and possibly individual FPRs as well - coming in the fall at the latest.

After leaving a trail of fire exiting Florida yesterday I decided to just bust it and drive all the way through to PA, just over 14 hours door to door. The Yamaha V8 in the wife's XC90 is a gas pig, but that thing rips for an SUV . Had a slight issue though, have no ride back to VA to pick up the car today.... issue solved, I will close one of my restaurants early and pay one of my college kids to drive me down and drop me off. The crazy **** these cars make us do .

MUST HAVE CAR TODAY!!!!

Dave wants to spend some time logging with me behind the wheel to make sure that the maps are as smooth as possible for my around town driving style. I figure it will take 20 min or so before he starts telling me to stop driving like a little girl. I know the car will scare me and I am not trying to test any limits until I am comfortable with the car again. After all, I haven't driven a stick or sports car since Thanksgiving morning and this should be a bit of a change from driving my SUV.

IF ANYONE HAS AN EXTRA GALLON OF METH OR BOOST JUICE AND IS HEADED TO THE F:T EVENT ON SUNDAY, I WILL BUY IT FROM YOU. THE METH I ORDERED PRIOR TO VACATION IS STILL NOT IN. THANKS!!
Chris.....I hate when things like this happen to the nicest of people....This really sucks......This one I really feel..

NOW ....I am going to sit back and watch how you will be taken care of...I will really be watching this one.... I know how the story would end if it was my car.... I just hope there will be limited finger pointing for Chris sake.....this guy has been through hell.

This almost sounds like what happend to Romey.....I said almost !!

Last edited by XKR; 06-24-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

I SPUN ANOTHER BEARING

I am absolutely crushed and haven't felt like this since my Dad passed away last year. I never had the car in my possession this time and I don't really know what my options are. The block was machined and spec'd out by Justice Racing with all parts labeled for assembly, assembled and installed by Frank Hill, and tuned by Function:Tuned.

Just to be completely clear here, I wanted this car to make the most HP possible and spent money on the best parts and components to make this happen. I do not tell shops that I want to see XXXwhp, I had a goal and achieved that goal, making the car make power is not my department.

I am trying vry hard not to post out of anger and/or frustration, so I may keep my posts to a minimum while I gather info on what my options are.
i cant believe this.. it is very depresing bud...
now i want to also say that while its true that you dont necesarly plan out for a power goal.... you goals were NOT outrageous, pretty realistic you reserached and you know that. IMO with the specs of your build not an irrealistic goal... you know your limitations on fueal and you addressed the issue......we seen "less" build blocks handle meth well above 650whp. Dont knock yourself down for it.. i have already seen you do a few times here in the name of keeping things fair, but this issue smells like something out of your control, something that you shouldnt have had to worry about....right now anything else other than 2 more months of delay while they get you a proper block that works, not at your expene is a worry you shouldnt have to deal with. ITs BS IMO.

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
OOOHHH NOOOOOO CHRIS!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! After all the problems and setbacks you had with this build... I thought another day like this was behind you for at least A FEW THOUSAND (hopefully several thousand) HAPPY BOOSTED MILES.

I'm so sorry and bummed to hear this. I hate to see something like this happening to such a stand up guy in the VQ community. You deserve better than such short lived success my friend. I wish you the best with whatever you choose to do with your Z from this point forward.
Originally Posted by Alberto
What in the hell!!!

<----I know you said its not a joke but Im REALLY hoping its s sick joke played on us all man. If the car puked coolant-then was headlift an issue? Was it losing boost?

Im sorry to hear man this is some of the most twisted drama Ive seen happen to a legit guy.
Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
I just got the car back to the shop. The initial shock and disbelief has worn off. I'm totally recoiling right now and can't even explain the frustration, disappointment and just general sense of loss. I'm actually headed home to go to sleep. Its like a family member just passed.

The car had lower then normal oil pressure on the dyno yesterday but I assumed that was due to the super high engine temps and consistent dyno runs. It never got below 10psi or so at idle but always came up 30 to 60 when revved. Cold starts showed normal to slightly elevated pressures.

I did a small pull on the low boost 16 PSI map 3rd gear (no meth). The car pulled through just fine with no stutters or jerks. I then heard a slight knocking noise as it idled down after the pull and looked over at the oil pressure. Basically at 0. Pulled over and called the tow truck.

I just pulled plugs #2, #1 and #5 and scoped the motor. No obvious signs of detonation (scope is only so clear but det is normally pretty obvious) and the plugs look great. I may come back later when I feel up to it and check the other plugs out but I can be pretty confident that det is not the issue. There was also no oil smoking at any time so we can also assume that no ring lands are cracked or broken.
Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Wow man I am terribly sorry to hear that.
+1 its terrible...its not my car, not my build and i have no interest with any of the shops but i feel in despair over this

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-24-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Someone's gotta say this as much as it hurts - more so for those thinking about building motors who might otherwise be scared off with this kind of experience. These types of builds have just got to be left to one single shop.

Maybe in this case, due to the integrity of the shops involved, Cass will be covered and won't have to do anything but sit back and wait for it to be taken care of. Fact is, someone made a mistake... (no finger pointing implied or expressed!)

Cass, I hope you can work out something with all parties to just let one shop with solid experience with these types of builds (e.g. FunctionTuned) get the job done. Not because they are better than Hill's Garage at building motors because they may even contract with Hill's Garage to do the build, but because they take ownership start to finish.

I look forward to your new build thread Cass - the one that starts with success and ends with an ongoing positive experience. Good luck bud.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:08 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Someone's gotta say this as much as it hurts - more so for those thinking about building motors who might otherwise be scared off with this kind of experience. These types of builds have just got to be left to one single shop.

+1...."crates" are for only DIY guys...and better if its a more basic build. this one needs lots of attention that gets lost when you go from here to there...
i don't wanna rehash more on this cause Cass knows this.

Originally Posted by rcdash
Maybe in this case, due to the integrity of the shops involved, Cass will be covered and won't have to do anything but sit back and wait for it to be taken care of. Fact is, someone made a mistake... (no finger pointing implied or expressed!)
well someone needs to said too... its hills garage... after i read bearing... just the fact of the rag made my choice not to look else where, it didnt seem like it was tune or anything else related after reading further anyways..
I am sure they are stand up guys but at this point(many vouch for them) but THEY(and whoever else is responsible) needs to cover 100% the costs... Chris already played nice guy on the 2nd rebuild... most shops dont even get a 2nd chance to make things right...much less 4th
I will personally say that they will be responible if we as a comunity loose a member such as cass because he has to give a way his dreams as a result of this....

Cass, I hope you can work out something with all parties to just let one shop with solid experience with these types of builds (e.g. FunctionTuned) get the job done. Not because they are better than Hill's Garage at building motors because they may even contract with Hill's Garage to do the build, but because they take ownership start to finish.
+1000
someone that just AT jsut liek you dissagreed with that... i cant believe(and not at same time ) he wouldnt.

I look forward to your new build thread Cass - the one that starts with success and ends with an ongoing positive experience. Good luck bud.
werd, i feel so bad to even say this...but truly i hope you hang in there man(chris)...

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-24-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:28 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow,

thats devastating news! Your new motor had a new rev-up oil pump in it I assume? Thats crazy that 2 times in a row there were oil related deaths to the motor.

Man i feel like my previous post was just a bad jinx.

Hopefully FT will give more updates with the diagnosis!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have asked Dave not to do anything to the car until I decde how to proceed. I just got back from a week of vacation and have paperwork out the a$$ to catch up on.

I actually drove straight thru from FL so I could free up today to pick up the car and not be in a rush. I FEEL A DRUNK COMING ON SHORTLY....
Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

When i sall the post in the mid-a section without the FT logo and the missing hills stuff i came right over to your post and my heart just dropped in my stomach.Chris i just feel horrible hearing this news.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I have asked Dave not to do anything to the car until I decde how to proceed. I just got back from a week of vacation and have paperwork out the a$$ to catch up on.

I actually drove straight thru from FL so I could free up today to pick up the car and not be in a rush. I FEEL A DRUNK COMING ON SHORTLY....
Change your sig Cass. You are not a failure. Someone involved in your build made a mistake - that is all. This is all business and you need to handle it as such. Get everyone together and work out a plan for diagnosis and rebuild - in writing so it's all perfectly clear for everyone involved. If everyone is above board, this will work out with no money out of pocket for you.

The delay and waiting is terrible, but you won't be the first one to be waiting a long time for a build. Hang in there.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
shocka04

Sorry to hear all this. I know this doesn't make you feel any better but at least this time, there is no chance of anyone pointing the fingers at you. You should def be 100% covered. Let's just hope someone stands up and there isnt fingers pointed at each other
Old 06-24-2009, 01:01 PM
BlinkerFluid

Hang in there Cass. I have to go fly but I'll send you a PM later tonight.

Mow many miles were on the engine?
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by BlinkerFluid

I have no idea, I have not had posession of the car since the previous failure. Steal the helicopter and come up here and help me sort this out.

2 beers and 2 shots deep now. Friend coming over to show me the sound system he just put in his vette. He's headed to AC, maybe I will tag along.

Last edited by Cass007; 06-24-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:48 PM
jtgli

Originally Posted by BlinkerFluid

Any chance you will be able to look into the Utec questions I had then sometime also?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by jtgli
Any chance you will be able to look into the Utec questions I had then sometime also?
Could I interest you in a slightly used stand-alone???

My friend just bailed on me, fawk my life. Loading my poker account with fresh funds to see if dusting off some money will make me feel any better.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could I interest you in a slightly used stand-alone???

My friend just bailed on me, fawk my life. Loading my poker account with fresh funds to see if dusting off some money will make me feel any better.
If I was local, I would be taking you our for drinks/ some T&A right about now...

Sorry to hear of this again Cass, I have been following your thread and this is one of the worst cases of bad luck of I have seen on here.

Hopefully all parties involved will take care of you, best of luck.

-George

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress