Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:35 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

Let me first state that I hope this 3rd chance with the same parties involved results in the best possible outcome for your sake.

However, I think you have been way too forgiving with these guys and I disagree with your decision to give them yet another chance. I cringed when I saw your post announcing that you were letting them work on your car again. Dave's delusional, arrogant, and ignorant post about his legal chances in court only reinforces my opinion that you have been dealing with a couple of clowns.

If I was in your situation, I would have demanded nothing less than a full refund and then would've taken my car to a single shop that is experienced in building and tuning high horsepower builds with the record/history to prove it. The closest shop to you that I prefer which meets that criteria is Sound Performance. Larry is an exceptional tuner and their builds are second to none. PF Supercars would be another good choice. IMO Frank and Dave have insufficient experience building and tuning VQ's at the power level you are trying to attain and this thread proves it.

I wish you luck and hope for the best. It's truly a shame when you have to hope that "the third time is a charm".

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 07-27-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:36 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Alberto
Good runs on the 2nd race it looked like the Z had a rolling start on the Vette

The C6 had the jump and still got yanked, not bad...

BTW-NO FAWKING WAY that Vette (S/C) could beat a liter bike if in the correct gear with a decent rider. My friends 600 would rape that Vette...
All the races were done with the vettes making the first move and the Z tracking them down. jtgli is way more experienced at pushing his car than those guys. I was having many beers or I would have driven the LS2 myself.

It was my first time out on the bike this year when I raced the yellow vette and I tried to keep up from a 55 mph in 5th gear. I was surprised how strong the car was and yes, I was not used to the bike and the feeling of triple digit speeds at the time. I should have tried to pull him in second or third, but wheelies on the highway are a no-go for me .

I think this is how I will occupy my time this summer, making vids for my Mid-A brothers. Anytime you need a co-pilot Alberto I am only a PM away.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Jgrizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris pm a brother with mini meets. I can be to PA in no time brother... It would be nice to hang out with Z people old enough to drink for a change
Old 07-27-2009, 04:52 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by XKR
Thats how it was explained to me also..."The Rag"....no way around it...open and shut case...The good thing in all this is Chris did not have the car when all this happened....This is an eye opener for all of us building an FI car...

Any updates?
Lets put this discussion away now and not make this the place to debate please. If someone starts a thread to discuss what customer should and should not expect, I will offer my opinion, but will not speak on my specific situation. It is quite a convoluted answer with many what-ifs and most-likelys and Dave and Frank had a differing opinion than I do on the outcome. I am glad for everyone involved that things worked out the way they have and I, nor the shops, have to find out what the courts have to say on this matter.

Week one is past now and I'm not 100% on where we are at yet. Still waiting to see if the heads are salvagable. Parts for the bottom end have been ordered and the core is coming from F:T soon, if its not there already. I will try and reach Justice and find out the status and make sure to get the turbos shipped to either myself or Blouch directly in the next few days.

I am keeping busy working on cosmetic issues for the new setup and considering a wire tuck since my wire loom is all beat to shiit from having the motor pulled 3 times now ($400+ loss). I may also see if I can get the engine bay painted during the down time, but need to get motivated to make all that happen first. Days like Saturday make me really wish I had my car so I could participate in the fun with everyone else, hopefully in the fall.

11 weeks and counting
Old 07-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
Chris pm a brother with mini meets. I can be to PA in no time brother... It would be nice to hang out with Z people old enough to drink for a change
Next time for sure Grizz. This one wasn't planned, beers led to phone calls and people just showing up .
Old 07-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Jgrizzle

Phone number sent
Old 07-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
It was my first time out on the bike this year when I raced the yellow vette and I tried to keep up from a 55 mph in 5th gear. I was surprised how strong the car was and yes, I was not used to the bike and the feeling of triple digit speeds at the time. I should have tried to pull him in second or third, but wheelies on the highway are a no-go for me .

I think this is how I will occupy my time this summer, making vids for my Mid-A brothers. Anytime you need a co-pilot Alberto I am only a PM away.
That explains it! You could have still used 1st or at the very least 2nd gear at 55mph!!

Sometime this week I will be going over to my Z and checking the rear brakes. If all turns out well, hit me up next time you have a meet and I'll head down and we'll shoot some vids
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Blck350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could've stayed for the s/c vette.... looks like another kill story for Jon.... hmm an F-430 and now another 2 vettes all on video!! He is a good driver!! thanks for the beer and fun.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 AM
jtgli

Had a fun time this past weekend Chris. Sorry about that bezel again : ( Let me know your thoughts about getting the vette guys to go to the track this friday night, and Alberto, I saw your vid of you running at mason dixon a few years back, me and some friends are headed there friday night if youd like to have a mini Z meet let me know.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 AM
discom

[B]
Week one is past now and I'm not 100% on where we are at yet. Still waiting to see if the heads are salvagable. Parts for the bottom end have been ordered and the core is coming from F:T soon, if its not there already. I will try and reach Justice and find out the status and make sure to get the turbos shipped to either myself or Blouch directly in the next few days.
Why do you need to see if the heads are salvageable? In your case,if a part is in question, replace it.

How are they going to determine if it is still usable? Eyeball it? Ultrasound?

Do you want a part in your car with internal stress just waiting for you to push 600 whp for the 15th time before failing?

I say if a part is in question, replace it. You paid for a new motor, not one that has parts from a motor that has experienced catastrophic failure.

Hope that you don't be a nice guy and try to save them some money at your own future expense.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 AM
thom000001

That makes more sense lol

On my buddies 05 GSXR1000 (power commander and slip on), I was riding, I walked away from a C5 Z06 in 5th gear from like 50mph lol......litre bikes are FAST

Tom

All the races were done with the vettes making the first move and the Z tracking them down. jtgli is way more experienced at pushing his car than those guys. I was having many beers or I would have driven the LS2 myself.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by discom
Why do you need to see if the heads are salvageable? In your case,if a part is in question, replace it.

How are they going to determine if it is still usable? Eyeball it? Ultrasound?

Do you want a part in your car with internal stress just waiting for you to push 600 whp for the 15th time before failing?

I say if a part is in question, replace it. You paid for a new motor, not one that has parts from a motor that has experienced catastrophic failure.

Hope that you don't be a nice guy and try to save them some money at your own future expense.
Justice Racing will see if the cam journals can be cleaned up enough to still use the heads. If not, new cores will be sent to headgames. Everyone involved is aware of the power level I am expecting and its not my job to say what is good and what is trash, I'll leave tat to the guys that build race motors all day.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by jtgli
Had a fun time this past weekend Chris. Sorry about that bezel again : ( Let me know your thoughts about getting the vette guys to go to the track this friday night, and Alberto, I saw your vid of you running at mason dixon a few years back, me and some friends are headed there friday night if youd like to have a mini Z meet let me know.
Many people, including your brother, are questioning if the yellow vette was giving all it had in the video. We may need a rematch wih me behind the wheel of the vette to help eliminate any driver error .
Old 07-27-2009, 09:51 AM
discom

Justice Racing will see if the cam journals can be cleaned up enough to still use the heads. If not, new cores will be sent to headgames. Everyone involved is aware of the power level I am expecting and its not my job to say what is good and what is trash, I'll leave tat to the guys that build race motors all day.
That is what you did the previous 2 times. If they are that good, this conversation would not take place.

MY point is that you paid for new parts, why compromise the build with parts taken from an engine that failed?

What if the failure comes 2 months after the car has been handed over to you? Could you honestly say that at the back of your mind, you would not be thinking if the failure was caused by the part that was salvaged from your engine?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:56 AM
go-fast
Banned

post pics of the cam journals
Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by go-fast
post pics of the cam journals
post #1530 on page 77 is the best shot I have.... sorry.

Just got notified from Dave and Jim that the cams and heads are a loss. New cores going out to Headgames, springs and retainers are still good and valves may be usable too, but that will be the call of Dave at Headgames. Turbos shipping out to Blouch tomorrow for rebuild.

Last edited by Cass007; 07-27-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 AM
thom000001

Chris,
Glad progress is being made.....

And remember you are not allowed to go beyond 768rwhp ;-)

tom

post #1530 on page 77 is the best shot I have.... sorry.

Just got notified from Dave and Jim that the cams and heads are a loss. New cores going out to Headgames, springs and retainers are still good and valves may be usable too, but that will be the call of Dave at Headgames. Turbos shipping out to Blouch tomorrow for rebuild.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:33 AM
jpc350

After all that has been learned in your build(s) and the recommendations from several posters that ONE company be responsible for delivering to you a build that will reliably give you a 600+ car, who would it be now?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, if I was Dave at headgames, I'd be so tired of re-doing all that work over and over Hopefully by now he's got it down to a easy routine
Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by jpc350
After all that has been learned in your build(s) and the recommendations from several posters that ONE company be responsible for delivering to you a build that will reliably give you a 600+ car, who would it be now?
I wrote a long response to this and then decided there is nothing to be gained from my opinion. I still have confidence in the shops I am dealing with and consider Frank and Dave friends.

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress