Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Catch Can / Breather Filter Install (Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

without o.e. pcv there are only 3 choices.vac pump,moroso exhaust style or road draft.just venting out of the valve cover is half assed.even with a catch can it's still half assed.you want to evacuate the crank case regardless of in boost or not,any built pressure is simply that....pressure pushing on the bottoms of the pistons.as far as inexpensive homebuilt goes jetpilots closest only missing road draft,but obviously is the least efficient of the three.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:57 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't say I was stopping there. If you run both sides into a catch can you can you can easilly attach a vacuum pump to the output of a catch can. I'm just waiting to see the results of this first.

Your speaking hypothetically of course. If this remedies the situation then that's the end of the story. If you want to construct a more elaborate setup with an external vacuum source for acadmeic purposes go right ahead. All I'm looking at doing is stopping my turbo seals from leaking and my engine seals blowing. If this does that then game over for me. Sharif already said it worked for him.

Why is it people think you need vacuum pressure to evac the cc. All you need is higher pressure inside the crankcase and an efficient way for it to get out. High pressure will always flow to areras of low pressure ie. from the crankcase to the atmosphere. .... end of stroy.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 12-10-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:29 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
It's there for emissions pure and simple. Nothing more.

agreed. it's an emisiions thing.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:18 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it people think you need vacuum pressur to evac the cc. All you need is higher pressure inside the crankcase and an efficient way for it to get out. High pressure will always flowto areras of low pressure ie. from the crankcase to the atmosphere. .... end of stroy.
I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, but if the above was true why would anyone be running a vacuum pump? Vacuum in the CC is a proven power adder, as well as reduces oil consumption (according to others on the web). Just because air can escape doesn't mean that the air on the underside of the pistons when traveling at 6,500 rpms isn't heavy.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

It's there for emissions pure and simple. Nothing more.
It's there for emissions AND to evacuate combustion gasses fromt the crank case so there is less contamination of the oil over time.

So NO...it is not ONLY for emissions.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I didn't say I was stopping there. If you run both sides into a catch can you can you can easilly attach a vacuum pump to the output of a catch can. I'm just waiting to see the results of this first.

Your speaking hypothetically of course. If this remedies the situation then that's the end of the story. If you want to construct a more elaborate setup with an external vacuum source for acadmeic purposes go right ahead. All I'm looking at doing is stopping my turbo seals from leaking and my engine seals blowing. If this does that then game over for me. Sharif already said it worked for him.

Why is it people think you need vacuum pressure to evac the cc. All you need is higher pressure inside the crankcase and an efficient way for it to get out. High pressure will always flow to areras of low pressure ie. from the crankcase to the atmosphere. .... end of stroy.
It's not the pressure that is the problem under normal driving conditions, It's the toxic post combustion gasses sitting in the CC.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM
JETPILOT

I drive my car on the track. The only time it is being driven normally is to and from the track. It doesn't see street use. I agree under normal driving this is not what you want. Unless you have the problems I or Sharif are having like oil blowing past turbo seals and past seals in the motor this isn't for you. This is to correct a pretty severe case of cc pressurization.

P.S. Before emissions there was no such thing as a pcv valve.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
go-fast
Banned

i'm not busting your *****,i think your on the right track.but you are picking the wrong argument.these concepts are not new,any form of evacuation is an advantage(you do want advantage,right?).pulling crankase pressure out is ideal under all circumstances,much better than letting the bottoms of the pistons to push it out(even under boost),for race apps like yours this is even more critical.i'm trying to be of assistance.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:55 PM
JETPILOT

This is all I have the capacity to do by myself. I cannot drill my upper oil pan and vent the crankcase like I would like to with a vacuum pump. I can't be the one to experiment with that. Someone else will have to try it. My back is in bad shape. I can only work on my car on good days and then for a short amount of time. This is only to improve my situation at the track until I or someone else is able to vent the crankcase with a pump and report back.

I think this wil be adequate.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 PM
go-fast
Banned

This is all I have the capacity to do by myself. I cannot drill my upper oil pan and vent the crankcase like I would like to with a vacuum pump. I can't be the one to experiment with that. Someone else will have to try it. My back is in bad shape. I can only work on my car on good days and then for a short amount of time. This is only to improve my situation at the track until I or someone else is able to vent the crankcase with a pump and report back.

I think this wil be adequate.
it's an improvement over o.e at least.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:32 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

check valves are here.. sorry crappy cell phone pic

Old 12-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Weqster

Pre-turbo intake with a catch can in the middle will always have vacume on it. Yes you get oil vapour which cuts down on power, but your making the power safer (unless you have too much blowby then its reducing octane).

Otherwise a slash-cut setup in the exhaust. All the serious Honda drivers run this. You guys are better then honda drivers, right? PS. on the subject, crank case evacuation is a hot topic across all forums and sometimes times years of trying to resolve.

These days most honda's run welded on bungs to the valve cover for extra evacuation. With either intake or slash cuts providing vacume.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Havok_RLS2

Looky what I found.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Will this work?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:29 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
Looky what I found.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Will this work?
never tried a brake style vac pump,i always assumed that it would not provide the volume needed nor would it be capable of constantly running.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:31 AM
mario23

Subscribing for the results also.
Nice write up...
Old 12-13-2008, 08:34 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Berto.. i hope you're right.. this would be amazing that an $11 fix would put to ease headaces and paranoia.. I went to the delearship this morning and picked up a new dipstick... i havn't hit boost yet.. but so far i have no oil smell.. hard braking.. sitting on a gradient.. nothing.. no oil smell anymore.. could this really have been my problem?

here is a pic of the old dipstick

Old 12-13-2008, 02:22 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by doug
Berto.. i hope you're right.. this would be amazing that an $11 fix would put to ease headaces and paranoia.. I went to the delearship this morning and picked up a new dipstick... i havn't hit boost yet.. but so far i have no oil smell.. hard braking.. sitting on a gradient.. nothing.. no oil smell anymore.. could this really have been my problem?

here is a pic of the old dipstick

wow...yea that thing is torn up....you might be good to go with the new one. Can't beat $11!
Old 12-13-2008, 03:42 PM
JETPILOT

Did you have rats gnawing at your dipstick? Might want to put a few rodent raps in your engine compartment.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:54 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Did you have rats gnawing at your dipstick? Might want to put a few rodent raps in your engine compartment.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Snow-G

Ok so what is the purposed set up for daily FI guys? Could you run both pcv's to the catch can and then vent it to atmosphere?

Quick Reply: Catch Can / Breather Filter Install (Lots of Pics)