Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Catch Can / Breather Filter Install (Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:09 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snow-G
Ok so what is the purposed set up for daily FI guys? Could you run both pcv's to the catch can and then vent it to atmosphere?
There's only one PCV. The other is just a crankcase vent without a valve. You could do that but then you would not be pulling post-combustion gasses out of your crankcase while in vacuum. I would recommend drilling larger the DRIVER'S side vent and seeing how your car does with that. This is all assuming your blowing oil through your turbo seals and actually have an issue.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Snow-G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pass side would not create a vac for the driver side if its attached to the same system/line? Currently I have the pass side to the can, can to atmosphere and plenum capped. I still see residue in the intake tube. I was thinking Im still getting oil from the drivers side which is why I wanted to vent that side or run another line to the catch can. I also do not like the fact that I'm reentering gases back into the engine via Greddy inlet. Does this make any sense?

I think I'm going to copy the arch setup. Run both pass and driver vents to my greddy can and then tap another line and run it to the intake.

Last edited by Snow-G; 12-14-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:46 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey doug,

I'm glad that your problem seems to have been solved with a new dipstick. That must be a huge relief. So do you plan on keeping the mods you have already done to help relieve crankcase pressure?
Old 12-14-2008, 02:34 PM
chopperman

Thanks to all the people who have done this and to the ones who answer all the questions. This is a great read and I defiantly plan on doing this when I get home. This is what the forum was made for!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:56 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Hey doug,

I'm glad that your problem seems to have been solved with a new dipstick. That must be a huge relief. So do you plan on keeping the mods you have already done to help relieve crankcase pressure?
i'm not a 100% sure its fixed... i havn't hit boost yet.. a little too icy out right now.. but i don't mind the mods i did.. they help more than they hurt so why not
Old 12-14-2008, 05:48 PM
niceguyyy01

So can I ask a dumb question? Is everyone still in agreement that you run the drilled out PCV to a catch can, plug the lower manifold and vent the catch can to the atmosphere. Then run the driver's side valve cover to the inlet line on the turbo intake piping as the turbo kit are made? Or are we capping the line on the intake and putting a breather on the driver's side valve cover? Sorry but I have read too much here and am now confused!!! LOL
Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by Weqster
Otherwise a slash-cut setup in the exhaust. All the serious Honda drivers run this. You guys are better then honda drivers, right? PS. on the subject, crank case evacuation is a hot topic across all forums and sometimes times years of trying to resolve.
This seems like the best solution. Use the exhaust to create a vacuum in the tubing that exits from the valve covers.

I used to do this in my race car a long time ago. Run tubing from each valve cover to a pipe nipple that extends into the header collector. Cut the pipe nipple on a slant so that it doesn't impede the flow of exhaust, and cut a small slot above the end of the pipe so that the exhaust passes through it and creates a suction in the line.

You'll need to use a check valve to stop backfires from doing bad things. I used to use a backfire valve that threaded onto the end of the pipe nipple that was outside the header.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:49 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by __jb
This seems like the best solution. Use the exhaust to create a vacuum in the tubing that exits from the valve covers.

I used to do this in my race car a long time ago. Run tubing from each valve cover to a pipe nipple that extends into the header collector. Cut the pipe nipple on a slant so that it doesn't impede the flow of exhaust, and cut a small slot above the end of the pipe so that the exhaust passes through it and creates a suction in the line.

You'll need to use a check valve to stop backfires from doing bad things. I used to use a backfire valve that threaded onto the end of the pipe nipple that was outside the header.
Damn is this some old school stuff.......i love it.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:10 AM
ashtrojan2008

I skipped a few pages of the thread so i hope this wasn't posted before...
I put my dipstick in the way "pep boys" had it on dougs because with the greddy kit its much easier to get to. Just had to bend the handle straight.
When i started having bad blow by, it was because my rings were going bad. Within a month my engine was gone. Like stated earlier just do a compression test to make sure.