Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Catch Can / Breather Filter Install (Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am subscribing to see how your track event goes this weekend. I'd like to see if your results mirror mine.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doug, I didnt read the entire thread but wanted to note.

I have blown my dipstick out a few times after only a second or two WOT. It was due to the rubber seal on the dipstick disentegrating. It felt like it was in, but would pull out with no hesitation. I needed a new dipstick to stop the problem. Easy fix, take a look at yours, chances are with how hard it is to get to and the charge pipe being large, that the rubber is torn.

BTW-give me your address Im gonna send you an engine cleaning kit for Xmas!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Doug, I didnt read the entire thread but wanted to note.

I have blown my dipstick out a few times after only a second or two WOT. It was due to the rubber seal on the dipstick disentegrating. It felt like it was in, but would pull out with no hesitation. I needed a new dipstick to stop the problem. Easy fix, take a look at yours, chances are with how hard it is to get to and the charge pipe being large, that the rubber is torn.

BTW-give me your address Im gonna send you an engine cleaning kit for Xmas!
thanks for the info on the dipstick.. i will definately check that out..

i have no problem cleaning my engine or my car for that matter.. but when you are frustrated about ****.. thats the last thing on your mind.. you knwo what i mean? when i meticuliously clean my car is when things are running great.. when its a drag to drive the car.. you could care less about how clean it is
Old 12-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya I hear ya Doug, Im happy with my car but its sitting dirty right now and I havent driven it in well over a month I know the feeling...hope its an easy fix for you.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:38 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastZ
Drill from the bottom of the PCV. Go slow and take away just enough material so that you can then easily pop out the internal valve and spring. The drill bit should be just slightly larger than the hole that is already there.

Do not try to drill from the top, drill from the bottom and remove the valve and spring that way.
Larry used a 7/16" drill bit in a drill press to drill out the bottom of the PCV............then the valve dropped right out. I think that's what happened... I was busy installing my downpipes at the time.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 AM
D-tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

info for results
Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes... I used a 7/16 drill bit. You want to remove almost the entire lower black cap. The inner diameter of the pcv valve is 7/16. So when you drill the black outer cap off the white poppet valve falls out. You do not want to drill the white valve. That can't be done. Then drill from the top part of the pcv valve to enlarge the hole for more flow. As Andrew said I used his drill press to do this.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastZ
Drill from the bottom of the PCV. Go slow and take away just enough material so that you can then easily pop out the internal valve and spring. The drill bit should be just slightly larger than the hole that is already there.

Do not try to drill from the top, drill from the bottom and remove the valve and spring that way.
Thank you.

God d@mn it though - why didn't I think of that? Wasted that $20 piece.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by rcdash
Thank you.

God d@mn it though - why didn't I think of that? Wasted that $20 piece.
sometimes, the easy solution isn't always obvious.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:21 PM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
It seems like only a few people here understand how this system works even though it's been rehashed in about 4 threads and I have written a desription in my blog which I doubt anyone read.
It is quite funny how simple the PCV system is and we can't seem to come to a consensus.

Everyone is buying meaningless check valves and throwing everything they can think of at the problem and getting no where when there is already a solution which I also wrote about in my blog and Sharif has posted about and is easilly and cheaply implemented.
Instead of having to read your blog, you can just say that you are going with a completely open system. Props for pointing out that the driver's side breather can be enlarged - I thought it was ~5/8" in diameter all of the way through. But I agree with go-fast that you should have something (road draft) to help pull blowby out of the cc.

Like I said before, some people like to apply vacuum to the crankcase - either vacuum on all ports (to actually create a vacuum condition in the cc), or at least to pull fresh air through one side. These "meaningless check valves" are used by people who wish to have vacuum applied to the cc under low-load conditions (not in boost) - at least something to help extract blowby out of the cc.

I would personally want vacuum in my cc at all times. However, short of a vacuum pump, keeping the PCV hooked up to the plenum with a check valve is the next best solution. Like rcdash said, it would also be nice to hook up the driver's side to a turbo/sc intake to help pull blowby out under boost - despite the very low vacuum provided by an turbo/sc intake.

Regardless of the setup, it seems like most F/I people should enlarge the hole in the driver's side breather.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 PM
JETPILOT

The PCV valve works as advertised. There is no need for a check valve.

A vaccum pump is not needed. High pressure will seak low pressure. Give the high pressure air somewhere to vent and it will.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 AM
rrmedicx

Is it possible to remove the PCV with the valve cover still on? Looks like is screws down onto the cover? Can you please confirm. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Is it possible to remove the PCV with the valve cover still on? Looks like is screws down onto the cover? Can you please confirm. Thanks.
it screws into the valve cover.. yeah you can remove it without removing the valve cover.. just have to remove the hose.. then you can screw it out with a socket wrench
Old 12-10-2008, 10:50 AM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by doug
it screws into the valve cover.. yeah you can remove it without removing the valve cover.. just have to remove the hose.. then you can screw it out with a socket wrench
Awesome news. Thanks. That makes doing this mod much more simple.

From what I gathered...
Just pop off the hose leading to the pcv, unscrew the pcv with ratchet & socket, pull it out and modify it to a full free flowing port. Re-install new and improved pcv valve and add a hose leading to a Catch can that has a filtered opening instead of a return hose. Finally you can cap off the return port to the lower plenum.
Did I miss anything?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Awesome news. Thanks. That makes doing this mod much more simple.

From what I gathered...
Just pop off the hose leading to the pcv, unscrew the pcv with ratchet & socket, pull it out and modify it to a full free flowing port. Re-install new and improved pcv valve and add a hose leading to a Catch can that has a filtered opening instead of a return hose. Finally you can cap off the return port to the lower plenum.
Did I miss anything?

You could do all that...the only problem is now when you are in vacuum you aren't pulling air through the crankcase. Based on what I've gathered on here, I would go the route of enlarging the DRIVER'S side breather by drilling it out before and see how that works before you completely eliminate the PCV system.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:11 AM
rrmedicx

Is this because the port on the driver side is deceptively large but the internal diameter is much smaller than it appears?

So when you say drill it out, you mean to drill it to open it to its actual size to facilitate more air into the valve cover/cc?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 PM
JETPILOT

Is this because the port on the driver side is deceptively large but the internal diameter is much smaller than it appears?

So when you say drill it out, you mean to drill it to open it to its actual size to facilitate more air into the valve cover/cc?
Drilling it out wouldn't be the first thing I would do as it is the most labor intensive since you have to remove the valve cover. And it is to let the CC vent out not in. The problem is venting under boost.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:25 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Yes, it's smaller inside. It's to facilitate more CC pressure OUT during boost.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:28 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Drilling it out wouldn't be the first thing I would do as it is the most labor intensive since you have to remove the valve cover. And it is to let the CC vent out not in. The problem is venting under boost.
That's your opinion. The PCV system is there for a reason (to suck CC gases out during vacuum).

Yes the problem IS venting under boost, which is exactly why opening up the driver's side breather would help flow more pressure OUT into the pre-boost intake or to atmosphere. It's a good way to keep the PCV system while venting more during boost.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:37 PM
JETPILOT

It's there for emissions pure and simple. Nothing more.

Quick Reply: Catch Can / Breather Filter Install (Lots of Pics)