Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Crankcase Ventilation Mod w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 AM
deanfootlong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tried both actually. neither worked for me. the only way for me to not fill my catch can is to route it just like thom00001's where both the drilled pcv and rear drivers side go into a single catch can with a breather on it.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:05 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Forgive my ignorance guys, but would something like this work for a twin turbo setup?
Also, does the PCV have to be drilled out regardless?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Crankcase Ventilation Mod w/Pics-catch-can.jpg  
Old 09-26-2010, 03:28 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Or perhaps like this? Or are these setups going to draw too much vacuum in the crankcase?
Attached Thumbnails Crankcase Ventilation Mod w/Pics-catch-can2.jpg  
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
deanfootlong

just do it like mine is set up.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:12 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

right........thanks, but that really doesn't answer my question.
I don't want to be running check valves and crap like that. I want to keep it as simple as possible.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:05 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The simplest is a breather on each port. It works.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Ok. But then your not drawing any air through no?
Do you reckon my first diagram would work, or would that draw too much vaccum in the crankcase?

The thing is i've already got the catch can fitted and hooked up to the passenger side port, and then straight to the intake pipe, bu once i install the TT kit that wont work.

So rather than just throw it away i would like to try and put it to good use.

Last edited by ReV2Red; 09-27-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:41 AM
kartkid

I am installing a V3 Vortech Tuner kit this weekend with Deatchwerk 600s and a walbro 225- Up Rev tune-one step colder plugs-new maf and have installed the transgo kit (way fun) already I have a 312 pulley and am concerned of belt slip and thought of sandblasting the pulley to pick up more grip?

Alright so far? Next problem I for see is crankcase venting I have read over 250 posts on z350 and with my knowledge of motors (40+ Years) I think many are lost on
CC venting so help me out Please as I do not want to replace my valve cover gaskets with the increase pressure from boost.

1st many want you too drill the PCV valve IMO wrong due to its metering of vacuum and for positive venting of unwanted vapors as well as keeping a better ring seal especially at low rpms. it also is there to prevent any backfire reaching your crankcase (a sure Seal blower)as well as effecting manifold vacuum that your power brake booster works from.and as some have found by drilling The PCV valve they have too much vacuum and suck too much oil into the catch can as well as letting un-metered air into the intake.

2nd when under boost you will pick up a positive pressure in the crankcase that needs venting and from what I can gather the PCV valve will push even more pressure into the crankcase and bleed off some boost (lower boost readings) as it is not a positive check-valve.

I hope you follow so far.

So here is where I need help as many have dealt with these problems see if this makes sense.As this is what I plan on to hope address these issues.

Install a brake boost check-valve between PCV and manifold vacuum to stop boosted charge returning to crankcase and install a tee in the hose between the valve covers with another Check valve only letting positive pressure out of crankcase when in boost made and when off will close and let the manifold vacuum do it cleaning.

This seems much simpler and cost effective as well as addressing both problems when Boosted.

Running a catch can with a stainless scrub inside could be a plus as well as for the blow off line between the covers

Well do you see any problems or missing something.

Thanks again for any positive help.

Last edited by kartkid; 09-30-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Mr350Z

Fantastic thread - now this may be a dumb question - but is the absense of valve cover breathers potentially why my JWT 530 kit smokes under decel (vacuum) with test pipes? I've already changed the oil return lines to tap into to the lower block (upper oil pan) which helped a lot, but am still getting some smoke under decel, especially when the engine/oil is hot. Only running 7lbs of boost, but I put the stock cats back due to this, but miss the power. Thoughts...
Old 10-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Synjn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kartkid
I am installing a V3 Vortech Tuner kit this weekend with Deatchwerk 600s and a walbro 225- Up Rev tune-one step colder plugs-new maf and have installed the transgo kit (way fun) already I have a 312 pulley and am concerned of belt slip and thought of sandblasting the pulley to pick up more grip?

Alright so far? Next problem I for see is crankcase venting I have read over 250 posts on z350 and with my knowledge of motors (40+ Years) I think many are lost on
CC venting so help me out Please as I do not want to replace my valve cover gaskets with the increase pressure from boost.

1st many want you too drill the PCV valve IMO wrong due to its metering of vacuum and for positive venting of unwanted vapors as well as keeping a better ring seal especially at low rpms. it also is there to prevent any backfire reaching your crankcase (a sure Seal blower)as well as effecting manifold vacuum that your power brake booster works from.and as some have found by drilling The PCV valve they have too much vacuum and suck too much oil into the catch can as well as letting un-metered air into the intake.

2nd when under boost you will pick up a positive pressure in the crankcase that needs venting and from what I can gather the PCV valve will push even more pressure into the crankcase and bleed off some boost (lower boost readings) as it is not a positive check-valve.

I hope you follow so far.

So here is where I need help as many have dealt with these problems see if this makes sense.As this is what I plan on to hope address these issues.

Install a brake boost check-valve between PCV and manifold vacuum to stop boosted charge returning to crankcase and install a tee in the hose between the valve covers with another Check valve only letting positive pressure out of crankcase when in boost made and when off will close and let the manifold vacuum do it cleaning.

This seems much simpler and cost effective as well as addressing both problems when Boosted.

Running a catch can with a stainless scrub inside could be a plus as well as for the blow off line between the covers

Well do you see any problems or missing something.

Thanks again for any positive help.
Originally Posted by Mr350Z
Fantastic thread - now this may be a dumb question - but is the absense of valve cover breathers potentially why my JWT 530 kit smokes under decel (vacuum) with test pipes? I've already changed the oil return lines to tap into to the lower block (upper oil pan) which helped a lot, but am still getting some smoke under decel, especially when the engine/oil is hot. Only running 7lbs of boost, but I put the stock cats back due to this, but miss the power. Thoughts...
Are you using the stock pcv?
Are you using a catch can?
Breathers where exactly?

I would start by disconnecting the hose going into the pre-turbo and check for changes.

Draw a diagram...

"It is the only way" Darth Vader

I've played with this method...

Last edited by Synjn; 10-10-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Synjn

Default For clarity's sake

RCDASH
Name:  RCDASHcatchcansetup.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  36.2 KB

CHRIS@FSP
Name:  CHRISFSPcatchcansetup.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  9.0 KB

WTK
Name:  WTKcatchcansetup.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  46.1 KB

SYNJN (stock pcv)
Name:  Picture009.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  43.7 KB

Would love to add more of people's setup diagrams...

Last edited by Synjn; 10-10-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Synjn

Default Mr. RCDASH?

With your setup, I suspect your catch can fills up rather quickly. The moment I put on my "drilled out" pcv and go for a drive: My plenum begins to fill with oil, obvious by the large cloud of white smoke. But that's after 1 drive. Im certain yours is not that bad.

So? Either your catch can is of better design than mine OR I am pulling more vacuum at the pcv valve than you?

Last edited by Synjn; 10-10-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:58 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

holy crap, are you guys still beating this dead horse! this isnt rocket science....

if you dont use your plenum as a vacuum source, it obviously wont fill with oil. Chris@FSP diagram is how you plumb it.

Better yet, dont use any vacuum on the system. Its not needed. YOu are just tryin to eliminate positive CC pressure. Thats why breathers alone work perfectly

Last edited by str8dum1; 10-10-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:17 PM
rcdash

Yeah well I tried Chris's diagram and I would get soot marks on startup spraying out the back. You've seen them str8dum1 - it's how you found my house! That has been slowly fading off the concrete with the set up I've had as diagrammed above.

I acquire about a few tablespoons of oil over the course of 3k miles. A sponge inside the catch can helps as does a pressure gauge right on the can. It shows 4 inHg (2 psi vacuum) while the manifold vacuum is between 6 to 8 psi of vacuum. One of the keys to not collecting oil is having a breather on one of the ports. It allows fresh air to come in and that preferentially displaces the oil since it's lighter. Having a vacuum at both ports (no breather), increases the vacuum for one thing, and does not provide ventilation. I used to get lots of oil in the catch can that way.

Synjyn, you're still pulling through the bottom end? Use smaller tubing and reduce vacuum to just 4 in Hg and see if that helps. I'm surprised you are pulling so much vacuum. Is there some resistance to pulling air through the crankcase? With an open breather at the other end of the crankcase you should have minimal vacuum.

Last edited by rcdash; 10-10-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:23 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

found this while searching for a solution to my problem.. i'm running vortech, and replaced my filter with another one and attached a breather to the pcv hose. on boost i get oil blown through the breather, and it's messing my engine.

i'm thinking of installing a catch tank with a breather on top of it. i haven't seen a similar setup here (at least no pics), but my question is, will it work just by doing that?

Last edited by maXmood; 10-21-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:03 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Car vs. Driver
I'm still wondering WTF it's supposed to do ... anyone care to elaborate?
too much crank case pressure is bad, therefore folks need to vent off.

I forget exact what situation happens/occurs for which the crank case is at is highest pressure, more than likely under boost, but also under decelleration too...I think. lol

I did this and I was still blowing the dipstick out of my car at high boost. thats some serious crank case pressure...really bad need of a vent system. The engine had more internal issues, which is maybe why the OPs situation yeilded unsuccessful results.

this mod also aids in engine blow by issues by removing some of the oil bypassed by the pistons out of the valves so that it doesnt interfer with ignition and being pushed back into the engine from the top side.

Now that I answered this in my opinion, I am sure some smartazz is going to finally answer you with the RIGHT way because they are experts.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 10-19-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

anyone wanna comment on my idea?
Originally Posted by maXmood
found this while searching for a solution to my problem.. i'm running vortech, and replaced my filter with another one and attached a breather to the pcv hose. on boost i get oil blown through the breather, and it's messing my engine.

i'm thinking of installing a catch tank with a breather on top of it. i haven't seen a similar setup here (at least no pics), but my question is, will it work just by doing that?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Mr350Z

Well, turns put sTr8dum was right, for my car anyway. I disconnected the vacuum line leading to the JWT intake pipe, plugged it and added a breather, this took care of all the off throttle smoking issues. No catch can yet, that will be the next step, going to route both banks into a catch can with a breather, no vacuum pull into the intake. I still get s bit of smoke about a second after revving the catnip at standstill but that is likely a bit of oil making it thru the turbo seal. I talked the Garret about this at sema and they said the turbo is likely over fed. I may put in a smaller oil reducer going to the turbos off the engine.

It's a different car with test pipes. Feels like I've got 40 whP with the but dyno. Must be back to 415 at the wheel now...
Old 11-20-2010, 10:58 AM
rcdash

^ That bit of smoke is likely just residual oil in your plenum and piping.

maxmood, I think that will help keep your engine bay a bit cleaner if the catch can is baffled.

Last edited by rcdash; 11-20-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:32 AM
05Z33

Originally Posted by rcdash
^ That bit of smoke is likely just residual oil in your plenum and piping.

maxmood, I think that will help keep your engine bay a bit cleaner if the catch can is baffled.
Do you need to remove the PCV if you just run a breather filter, and cap off the plenum?

Quick Reply: Crankcase Ventilation Mod w/Pics