Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Where's the VQ35HR SC kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
fstrnldr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you wanting a SC or single turbo kit, can i ask why you think a company would want to spend the dollars for development? The HR engine in the Z33 chassis is a two year only car. While the 370Z's VHR engine is basically the same as the HR from most outside dimensions, the Z34 chassis is different enough to make things not very likely to cross over. Any company looking at making a new product is most likely looking towards a car that will have a longer production run like the 370Z, giving them a far greater number of potential customers.

The other thing is that i don't think that you would see any kit w/ a single power adder that are as cheap as the DE cars were. Because of the twin throttle bodies, it will just take more materials/design/manufacturing for the piping, couplers clamps. Also the intercooler will most likely have to be a custom unit. For example the IC on the vortech kit is 100% generic piece that is used on multiple applications. You won't find to many IC's that have a single inlet w/ twin outlets, again causing extra expense. My opinion be happy that GReddy, GTM, and whoever else is making a TT kit for the HR is even doing it. Just my 2¢ of course
Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 AM
350ztttt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fstrnldr
For those of you wanting a SC or single turbo kit, can i ask why you think a company would want to spend the dollars for development? The HR engine in the Z33 chassis is a two year only car. While the 370Z's VHR engine is basically the same as the HR from most outside dimensions, the Z34 chassis is different enough to make things not very likely to cross over. Any company looking at making a new product is most likely looking towards a car that will have a longer production run like the 370Z, giving them a far greater number of potential customers.

The other thing is that i don't think that you would see any kit w/ a single power adder that are as cheap as the DE cars were. Because of the twin throttle bodies, it will just take more materials/design/manufacturing for the piping, couplers clamps. Also the intercooler will most likely have to be a custom unit. For example the IC on the vortech kit is 100% generic piece that is used on multiple applications. You won't find to many IC's that have a single inlet w/ twin outlets, again causing extra expense. My opinion be happy that GReddy, GTM, and whoever else is making a TT kit for the HR is even doing it. Just my 2¢ of course
This is the answer I needed to hear. Thank you for not cussing me out and giving me actual input.

I actually broke down and decided to go with the TT kit. whats another $4,000

Close thread mods
Old 02-08-2009, 04:21 PM
jimpactmfsc

hr = TT or go home,im not boosted yet, i could afford a 4 thousand dollar supercharger right now if there was one,but why supercharge a HR when its so perfect for twins. 2 intakes,2 throttle bodies,two snails under the hood
Old 02-08-2009, 06:32 PM
8cd03gro

Originally Posted by fstrnldr

You just need a y-pipe setup for a single turbo setup on the hr vs the de. You do not need two outlets from the intercooler...
Old 02-08-2009, 07:17 PM
fstrnldr

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
You just need a y-pipe setup for a single turbo setup on the hr vs the de. You do not need two outlets from the intercooler...
True, but if you are going to design something why risk turbulence in two places versus one? Also the Y pipe would unbalance the intake pipe lengths. I know the HR intake manifold is open on the inside, but i've not tried giving one side a much longer path to see if there is any measurable effect. Also from a production stand point Y pipes are still an extra expense. Really your best bet is if someone actually makes a SC kit for the 370Z, then you have a good chance the hard parts will work on the HR/Z33. Just have to build a new set of pipes.