Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Doing it for the wrong reason???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, they have a nice little rig....makes the motor pull much easier.

Chris had their motor in and out so many times I think he can do it blindfolded now.

T

Originally Posted by Robs_350Z
If I spent my extra money solely on my car I really wouldn't have to think about because it would all happen relatively quickly. I've asked the guys to give me a quote multiple times on just the twin turbo install but don't want to nag, maybe it's just that much they don't even want to entertain it as a realistic option. Tim was bragging about how fast he could pull these motors from the car though. I'm not ignorant, I know running on a stock motor isn't smart but can be done for a limited time. Just would like to have my cake and eat it too, bolt it up and save for the build. Just a thought is all, I don't want to throw away money anymore than the next guy.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:20 PM
bbs350z

IMHO, if your going turbo for show, get a single setup where the turbo is visible.also, hitting mid 11's/12's isnt too hard as long as you got traction sorted out. i know when i was at great lakes, thom got **** for traction (car even sounded stock until wastegates opened)

rob, where exactly in milwaukeeare you located? im in greenfield, and am doing a high hp twin 60-1 build based off the greddy setup, and using eagletanggreens built block. swing by someday and ill help you figure things out. ive been in and out of my motor more than my gf lol.

if i may ask, what exactly are your hp goals, if your looking to add sound system/fiberglass galore, etc, the added weight of course will affect your overall track times. honestly, sit down, and write down what you want, and how your gonna do it. also budget yourself and get a rough estimate of the price of parts (check the classifieds here, theres great deals to be had) and when you get that final number, add 25% to it. you always spend more than you anticipate.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:44 PM
thom000001

Yup,
I remember that night....another night I was at GLD with SP and their was a 03-04 cobra trapping 123mph (I was spinning through the 1/8 trapping like 121), we ran on the highway on the way back.....he had nothing for me at all (it was quite impressive just pulling away effortlessly....till I had to stop for gas).....so definately plan on some tires.

Tom

Originally Posted by bbs350z
IMHO, if your going turbo for show, get a single setup where the turbo is visible.also, hitting mid 11's/12's isnt too hard as long as you got traction sorted out. i know when i was at great lakes, thom got **** for traction (car even sounded stock until wastegates opened)

rob, where exactly in milwaukeeare you located? im in greenfield, and am doing a high hp twin 60-1 build based off the greddy setup, and using eagletanggreens built block. swing by someday and ill help you figure things out. ive been in and out of my motor more than my gf lol.

if i may ask, what exactly are your hp goals, if your looking to add sound system/fiberglass galore, etc, the added weight of course will affect your overall track times. honestly, sit down, and write down what you want, and how your gonna do it. also budget yourself and get a rough estimate of the price of parts (check the classifieds here, theres great deals to be had) and when you get that final number, add 25% to it. you always spend more than you anticipate.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:16 PM
bbs350z

Originally Posted by thom000001
Yup,
I remember that night....another night I was at GLD with SP and their was a 03-04 cobra trapping 123mph (I was spinning through the 1/8 trapping like 121), we ran on the highway on the way back.....he had nothing for me at all (it was quite impressive just pulling away effortlessly....till I had to stop for gas).....so definately plan on some tires.

Tom
ou on the stock 3.5 final drive? try a 3.3 for better traction, and elongate the gears
Old 01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
thom000001

Have one sitting waiting to go in

And a real tire

ou on the stock 3.5 final drive? try a 3.3 for better traction, and elongate the gears
Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Robs_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all over the south eastern Wisconsin area. I used to live in greenfield on 51st and Crawford. Just moved out to Pewaukee a few months ago when I bought the Z. Beyond that I drive to Oconomowoc for work and most my friends still live in Milwaukee.... hence being all over. Nice to meet someone in the area that has similar interests. Too many ricers in our area if you ask me. Haven't met too many real tuners or serious enthusiasts

I'm unsure of my ultimate goals but one thing is for sure, I want a 450-500whp daily driver (well it is still my weekend/cruising car). I know this can be done easily with a single turbo kit, what I'm afraid of is getting bored. I spent close to $15k on my Scion tC and ended up reworking a lot of things from 2 set of wheels, 2 sets of exhausts, Fuel management systems, clutches, TRD s/c's (multiple) to turbo...

Kind of why I started this thread. Trying to justify going single turbo with little extras like opening the hood and getting a little eye candy, simple setup with one turbo assembly ect. I'm leaning towards my car being just a street driven car for show, fun and of course light drag/race days. Can't lie though, I'd really like to get into racing but this is only a thought and is all talk at the moment. The thing about most race cars is they lose that gem appeal from being abused to much.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ttg35fort, thanks for the advice. Just happy I finally commited to a while size... was back and forth so long on 19's or 18's.
Not to cause more headache for you over the wheels, but will you be running on the track alot? If not, you may want to re-consider the 19's. The reason is that you generally want to keep the overall tire diameter the same as the stock tires. Going with 19's will allow you to run lower profile tires, which IMO look better.

Here is a link to a tire diameter calculator:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire...conversion.htm

Last edited by ttg35fort; 01-14-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:53 AM
Robs_350Z

If I did get into the racing thing I'd probably go with something much cheaper and lighter like a 5Zigen FN01r-C and throw a slick or drag radial on. The 295/35/18 and 265/35/18 are only a 1/2" smaller diameter than stock. Not to mention the ratio from front to rear is near stock in terms of revs. Another problem is most real sticky street class competition tire do not come in 19's or have extremely limited selections, Falken 615 and Nitto NT05 for example. Last and most influential to my decision is pot holes! They're a B!^#& around here and I've dented a set of wheels up last season in the mind fields we call streets.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I did get into the racing thing I'd probably go with something much cheaper and lighter like a 5Zigen FN01r-C and throw a slick or drag radial on. The 295/35/18 and 265/35/18 are only a 1/2" smaller diameter than stock. Not to mention the ratio from front to rear is near stock in terms of revs. Another problem is most real sticky street class competition tire do not come in 19's or have extremely limited selections, Falken 615 and Nitto NT05 for example. Last and most influential to my decision is pot holes! They're a B!^#& around here and I've dented a set of wheels up last season in the mind fields we call streets.
I fully understand. There are more tire selections for 18" wheels. I also understand the pot hole issue. Luckily, here in Florida we don't get the temperature extremes that you do up north, so pot holes are not really much of an issue. Also, Palm Beach County does a pretty good job at maintaining roads. In fact, they always seem to be re-paving them long before the roads really need it.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup,

Tom
LOL-123mph trap is weaksauce. I bet my 126mph trap would handle you down the 1320
Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 AM
thom000001

Mine was just due to the lack of acceleration in the 1st 1/8mile (driver mod please lol). Didn't matter what power (from 400rwhp through 700rwhp) would just spin spin spin lol...and damn the short gearing. Just gonna try a few things to help with that.....car is too damn much fun from a role to focus solely on drag racing.

We'll see how it does in a few months once the snow is gone though. Just shooting for something in the mid 130mph range on drag radials, so a 10s pass.

But it all comes down to driver and breaking parts of course lol.

Tom

Originally Posted by Alberto
LOL-123mph trap is weaksauce. I bet my 126mph trap would handle you down the 1320
Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im just messing man...I know your situation. Sounds like you have a decent plan to enjoy the power you have better
Old 01-15-2009, 12:05 PM
thom000001

It was kinda funny to look at the time slips...no matter how much power always a crap 60' with 90mph in the 1/8th lol. Everytime lol.

At least I was consistant.....consistantly crappy HA!

Tom

Originally Posted by Alberto
Im just messing man...I know your situation. Sounds like you have a decent plan to enjoy the power you have better
Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Robs_350Z

It was kinda funny to look at the time slips...no matter how much power always a crap 60' with 90mph in the 1/8th lol. Everytime lol.

At least I was consistant.....consistantly crappy HA!

Tom

Chris seems to have the 60ft time down with the stock 6spd tranny. lol

Anyone else see the him blow out the rear with those 28" slicks?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 PM
thom000001

Turns out the rear was fine. Was an issue with the halfshafts. But they made a spacer to fix them and all is good. Still on stock 6spd diff.

28in tall tire + 8700rpm redline = 158mph in 4th......damn

Tom

Chris seems to have the 60ft time down with the stock 6spd tranny. lol

Anyone else see the him blow out the rear with those 28" slicks?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
bbs350z

I'm all over the south eastern Wisconsin area. I used to live in greenfield on 51st and Crawford. Just moved out to Pewaukee a few months ago when I bought the Z. Beyond that I drive to Oconomowoc for work and most my friends still live in Milwaukee.... hence being all over. Nice to meet someone in the area that has similar interests. Too many ricers in our area if you ask me. Haven't met too many real tuners or serious enthusiasts

I'm unsure of my ultimate goals but one thing is for sure, I want a 450-500whp daily driver (well it is still my weekend/cruising car). I know this can be done easily with a single turbo kit, what I'm afraid of is getting bored. I spent close to $15k on my Scion tC and ended up reworking a lot of things from 2 set of wheels, 2 sets of exhausts, Fuel management systems, clutches, TRD s/c's (multiple) to turbo...

Kind of why I started this thread. Trying to justify going single turbo with little extras like opening the hood and getting a little eye candy, simple setup with one turbo assembly ect. I'm leaning towards my car being just a street driven car for show, fun and of course light drag/race days. Can't lie though, I'd really like to get into racing but this is only a thought and is all talk at the moment. The thing about most race cars is they lose that gem appeal from being abused to much.

i hear ya. if you ever need help or are considering a part, ill help you out. if you go single, powerlabs is the best, but tn isnt as bad as everybody makes it out to be, its just that with tn, theres really no hope for more than stock block power. imo, find a used tt kit (around 4k) and go from there. utecs are pretty cheap nowadays, and the market is constantly oming up with new products so the older stuff will depreciate (not to discourage you, these are still great parts). most of my parts were fom classifieds here, slightly used, and i couldnt be happier. i spent about 1/3 less overall just by being patient and cautious.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Robs_350Z

Turns out the rear was fine. Was an issue with the halfshafts. But they made a spacer to fix them and all is good. Still on stock 6spd diff.

28in tall tire + 8700rpm redline = 158mph in 4th......damn

Tom
Oh yeah I know, held the shaft in my hand… inlet spline was completely turned away after it spun.

Really not too interested in TN. Read up a lot on intake temps being higher on their kit. Not to mention one of the turbos I ran on my Dezod kit on the scion was a turbonetics and the seals went. I'm sure some have better success, I just wasn't that lucky.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Chris@SP
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Took the motor out of the car to make some small changes (springs in gates) clutch refresh, and some other stuff. Anyways, I realized we made the record passes on the 008 trans
I have a 009 that we'll put in while it's out, just for safe measure.

Tom's right, we didn't snap anything on that launch, but because the car squatted so much, and the DSS pro Axles were a tad short (we've corrected it with them) it pulled the axle out just enough to not have any gears coming in contact with the axle LOL.

With more boost on the launch, more boost down the track, we're keeping our fingers crossed for 8's

Chris
Old 01-16-2009, 05:26 PM
bbs350z

chris, im planning on getting your sp triple pump within the next month or so, do you guys sell an intake manifold like on your shops z? something tells me my kinetix wont make power in the upper rev range.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Chris@SP
Sponsor
Sound Performance

chris, im planning on getting your sp triple pump within the next month or so, do you guys sell an intake manifold like on your shops z? something tells me my kinetix wont make power in the upper rev range.
Good deal, I have a few left in stock right now, so when you're ready just let me know.

As for the intake, you'd have to talk to Charlie (phunk is is screen name) he made the lower cnc'd portion and we worked on the top portion. I know he's working on getting something put together for the public, as the one we have is a one off prototype. Now that he see's it's working very nicely maybe he'll move forward on production.

Chris