Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woot ***!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM
stormcrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
Kool...throw Jeremy in trunk......lock trunk....do dyo run...
wtf.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:52 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I know this isn't a priority for you, but like the aformentioned chart states..........the OS is not good for Drag. I have killed mine (claimed to hold 400-450tq) with only 265wtq and 3-4k miles. On top of that I made about 100 passes with 5500rpm launches on drag radials. So, if you plan to drag it at all, i'd look at the tilton. I was under the impresson that the tilton was around 4500-4800 for the triple carbon.
I just found out that the OS Quad was designed for Drag racing for cars with more power than I am going for....So I feel going with them will be a good move.

Originally Posted by stormcrow
wtf.

Last edited by XKR; 11-04-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by XKR
I just found out that the OS Quad was designed for Drag racing for cars with more power than I am going for....So I feel going with them will be a good move.
I think a couple of cars have recently been built using this clutch. Does it perform well for street use?

The chart posted a couple of pages back indicated that the OS tripple was not very user friendly, i.e., On/Off. Hopefully the quad is better.

The review of the Tilton tripple is pretty impressive... Then again, these are individual perspectives.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 11-04-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I think a couple of cars have recently been built using this clutch. Does it perform well for street use?
yes, butta once you get moving.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:22 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well thats just like any extreme clutch. try a 3 puck. on/off but just fine when you get moving. Thats not what you want in a streetable clutch...

Also getting a clutch that is designed for drag racing is another indication that it will be awful on the street. Why not just enjoy the car for a lil while then get the Tilton triple come spring. An on/off clutch will mean that car will sit bc you wont wanna drive it anywhere.

XKR is another reason why turbo lag is good. LOL No need for a silly clutch The huge trq spike is goin to burn off his tires as well.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

The chart posted a couple of pages back indicated that the OS tripple was not very user friendly, i.e., On/Off. Hopefully the quad is better.

The review of the Tilton tripple is pretty impressive... Then again, these are individual perspectives.
My OS triple is a complete bitch to get into 1st. I have been driving a standard over half my life, and I still kill the damn thing, lol.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 PM
XKR

I am 100% sure I will not go with the Tilton.....I am not willing to spend almost $5000 on a clutch. Someone listed the cost of a motor from FP...which was less. There is nothing a clutch can do that would make me spend that kind of money for a car that will see more garage time than street.

A few of you have sent me pm for and against the OS....some even sent me a youtube of someone in Japan trying to drive the quad ........I was not impressed....

Originally Posted by str8dum1
well thats just like any extreme clutch. try a 3 puck. on/off but just fine when you get moving. Thats not what you want in a streetable clutch...

Also getting a clutch that is designed for drag racing is another indication that it will be awful on the street. Why not just enjoy the car for a lil while then get the Tilton triple come spring. An on/off clutch will mean that car will sit bc you wont wanna drive it anywhere.

XKR is another reason why turbo lag is good. LOL No need for a silly clutch The huge trq spike is goin to burn off his tires as well.
Traction Control will fix the TQ issue

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
My OS triple is a complete bitch to get into 1st. I have been driving a standard over half my life, and I still kill the damn thing, lol.
I saw the video....I dont like what I see....and I too have been driving MT for many years.....The engagement looks almost like my track car

Someone said earlier (Think it was Jorge)that the Carbonetics is listed at 1500hp....and that maybe I should rebuild my clutch and see what happens....

Last edited by XKR; 11-04-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
I am 100% sure I will not go with the Tilton.....I am not willing to spend almost $5000 on a clutch. Someone listed the cost of a motor from FP...which was less. There is nothing a clutch can do that would make me spend that kind of money for a car that will see more garage time than street.
but remember ...your build is not a tipical one... people with the supra(sorry to continue here) spend years and many shops that were reaching builds north of 1000whp spend several years and several clutch configurations. SAAD did start the tilton clutch, he started like you and tried about 5(some died quick, some slipped quite a bit, other just after a couple track sessions) clutches until in the end the "you get what you apy for" actually ended up being true.
1000whp isnt easy, so you gotta consider that for that goal specially on the Z you will probably be pushing that much. Even if you were thinking of a AT, not much choices... th400...plus swap work...ull be pushing up the $$ too.
I debated this... in the end i went with one that will most likely warranty to to hold power more than i shoot for, ready for drag, and good. on the street(jsut a bit of adjustment to your style)
Consider that rougher engagements and the streatability of the setup will also influence your differential engagement.

A few of you have sent me pm for and against the OS....some even sent me a youtube of someone in Japan trying to drive the quad ........I was not impressed....

I saw the video....I dont like what I see....and I too have been driving MT for many years.....The engagement looks almost like my track car

Someone said earlier (Think it was Jorge)that the Carbonetics is listed at 1500hp....and that maybe I should rebuild my clutch and see what happens....
that wasnt me...read my first part of the reply you will see wich clutch i am talking about when i said 1500whp. Tiltons are made to order because... there are very VERY few builds that need it... how many people on the Z have cars that actually are being build to push 1000whp? 0.001%

The way i see it...its like you picking at clutch for a 600whp build...
so consider 60% of to the cost of your clutch options and it will give you a different comparison perspective... the the 2500$ clutch for the power build is ~1000$ and the 5000$ is about ~3000$....when you were shooting 600whp costs are like if picking a single carbon clutch vs a tripple, and you picked the tripple right?
Anyways i think its ovious now which clutch i picked personally

this is a video of what that clutch can handle
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/toiPC2HxyBw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/toiPC2HxyBw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
the unstretability of that setup is not related to the clutch but because of that big **** turbo he runs.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 11-05-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:33 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR

You know, you could've just ramped boost up slower. The clutch would have held and you could've gotten your 1000 whp (peak) dyno completed, and moved on.

EDIT: To peak at 800 whp on the DD, all you needed was for the clutch to hold 600 wtq (at 7k rpms, even less if you tried to peak at 7500).

Last edited by rcdash; 11-05-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:33 AM
XKR

I totally understand what you are saying Jorge......It just makes me angry when Carbonetics claims 1500hp and Sharif had to slide the car to get 655whp...OK...maybe my clutch is not new....but atleast give me 755 on the DD....Whats 1500hp??....1200whp??? and all I get is half

Thats my reason for going with Carbonetics in the first place...because I know some day ( right now) I would need it to make the power it promised.

Originally Posted by rcdash
You know, you could've just ramped boost up slower. The clutch would have held and you could've gotten your 1000 whp (peak) dyno completed, and moved on.

EDIT: To peak at 800 whp on the DD, all you needed was for the clutch to hold 600 wtq at 7k rpms.
At the time...everyone was in shock to see the boost hit that way....We are coming up with different ideas....I will let you all know ....

Last edited by XKR; 11-05-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 AM
thawk408

Carbonetics needs to go reevaluate their BS power holding ratings. I bought a brand new carbonetics triple a long time ago for my build, but after talking to a couple shops, one being Titan, they all informed me the clutch would not hold past 800rwhp DJ. Why is the clutch rated for 1200+ when it won't even get close? Id ***** for a refund from Carbonetics honestly.

Edit:
I swear a year or so ago I saw the HP ratings on Carbonetics website. Now they are no where to be found.....

Last edited by thawk408; 11-05-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by XKR
At the time...everyone was in shock to see the boost hit that way....We are coming up with different ideas....I will let you all know ....
I think the way the boost his hitting would be a lot of fun!!!

You could probably play with the boost controller settings. On the HKS EVC you can selectively vary the booost based on speed. That would allow you to ramp up the boost more slowly.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:46 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by thawk408
Carbonetics needs to go reevaluate their BS power holding ratings. I bought a brand new carbonetics triple a long time ago for my build, but after talking to a couple shops, one being Titan, they all informed me the clutch would not hold past 800rwhp DJ. Why is the clutch rated for 1200+ when it won't even get close? Id ***** for a refund from Carbonetics honestly.

Edit:
I swear a year or so ago I saw the HP ratings on Carbonetics website. Now they are no where to be found.....
D@mn you reading my mind.........I was telling them the samething.......I bet alot of pissed off people have call them on this also...thats why I cannot find it also......I have found alot of other threads ( not in this community) that are upset about Carbonetics claims.....

BTW.....I will soon have that info for you....

I think the way the boost his hitting would be a lot of fun!!!

You could probably play with the boost controller settings. On the HKS EVC you can selectively vary the booost based on speed. That would allow you to ramp up the boost more slowly.
We going to work something out.....it maybe an ugly lumpy dyno runs ......but I am going to get my numbers

Last edited by XKR; 11-05-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my exposure to folks going for the 4 digit numbers.....(usually shops first of course), they all went right to the clutch manufacturer and the manufacturer gave them something unique (that ended up going into production).

I know especially for the supra guys (and then for SP on the VQ) the clutch had to be "modified from original design" to be good at 9K+ rpms. I know thats not something that Mike is looking to be doing in this build.

But its best to go to the manu and tell them specifically what you are doing/planning and they will lead you in the right direction.
Thats what I did and why I went the route I did on the first clutch (granted, the resulted power was more than I had forseen lol....damn you SP lol)

Tom
Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 AM
XKR

I totally agree Tom....TOTALLY.......I am going up Carbonetics azz real soon.......As Thawk said....it looks like they have remove the 1500hp rating

Originally Posted by thom000001
From my exposure to folks going for the 4 digit numbers.....(usually shops first of course), they all went right to the clutch manufacturer and the manufacturer gave them something unique (that ended up going into production).

I know especially for the supra guys (and then for SP on the VQ) the clutch had to be "modified from original design" to be good at 9K+ rpms. I know thats not something that Mike is looking to be doing in this build.

But its best to go to the manu and tell them specifically what you are doing/planning and they will lead you in the right direction.
Thats what I did and why I went the route I did on the first clutch (granted, the resulted power was more than I had forseen lol....damn you SP lol)

Tom
Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
I totally agree Tom....TOTALLY.......I am going up Carbonetics azz real soon.......As Thawk said....it looks like they have remove the 1500hp rating
Check out this Swiss web site for Carbonetic. They STILL claim 1500 PS (similar to hp - 1500 PS = 1480 hp).

http://www.carbonetic.ch/carbon_clutch.aspx

A quick google search finds plenty of hits from licensed dealers also claiming 1500 hp. See attachments. You have plenty of proof on the net. Go get 'em.
Attached Thumbnails XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1-carbonetic2.jpg   XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1-carbonetic1.png  

Last edited by rcdash; 11-05-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM
XKR

Thanks Raj......this will help^^^^^
Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Two quick thoughts Mike:

1. What are the chances that with the power coming on like it does that even if the clutch holds the tires won't just spin?

2. Seriously man, who has a build thread that is 100 pages long.... that is just retarded
Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2000th post

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1