Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Running the New Vi-PEC EMS for my build.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
Why did you go Vi-pec over the Haltech? Curious cause im looking into it aswell...
Hijack in progress from Gord. The ViPEC has several very useful features for both street/strip racing.

http://www.vi-pec.com/page_files/V88.html

Launch control, progressive boost relative to gear, boost and pedal location. True control of the drive-by-wire system. Taction control that doesn't cut the srottle completely, but feathers it back based on wheelspin. Instant switching of maps for meth, just turn the system on and it recognizes it and changes maps, also recognizes the low meth and clogged injector signals and changes maps as well if a failure happens.

My ViPEC tune is silky smooth at any level, the Z drives as much like stock as 600+whp can around town and power is very smooth when being pushed. I haven't riden in a Haltech car except Alberto's and he was hammering on it at the time, so I can't really compare the driveability.

If you compare costs to Haltech, they are very similar. You may pay a bit more for a patch harness to hardwire the ViPEC to, but I am not certain as I was one of the test mules (PnP was under development when I got mine). You should call Function:Tuned (703.661.6162) and speak to Dave, he can tune either EMS and is much more informed than I am on the benefits of both for our platform.

http://www.functiontuned.com/contact.php

And yes, I am aware that I am nuthugging my tuner , but I really do believe this is one of, if not the best, EMS options on the market for our cars.

I forgot to mention that I do have an issue with a high idle right now in my car, but it has been specific to my car, Gord and Karim do not have this issue. I will be having it looked at very soon and will report in my build thread what the issue was found to have been.

Last edited by Cass007; 10-12-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by str8dum1
how does the Vi-pec deal with air temp changes? Does it have a correctly function like the UTEC (with a lot more resolution hopefully)
NTC or PTC air temp sensors, software selectable.

Copied from the website, I have no idea what this means, but you probably do.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
Why did you go Vi-pec over the Haltech? Curious cause im looking into it aswell...
My tuner was talking to me about using it when I was planning my build he had spoken with the founder of Vi-Pec (Ray Hall formerly of Autronic) and he was excited to get one in a VQ35 car so they hooked me up and said if I wasnt happy with it they would swap it out for a Haltech at no additional cost so it was hard to refuse. As Cass said it has lots of great features and is a more complete package IMO than the other systems availible. It is a great system so far, we were hoping to set up the traction contol and other features that set the system apart from the others, but I have had some issues come up with the car that prevented that so far. I have nothing negative to say about they system at all and Cass seems to like his as well They are still new but I think next summer Cass and I will put some hard miles on them pushing some decent power so time will tell.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:00 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So have either of you been able to tuck the EMS and harness away cleanly? Is there anyone actively using the features that set it apart yet? (e.g. traction control, yada yada)
Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haltech has that tractoin control stuff as well. YOu just need a controlled place to set it up, like a track. Purposely loosing traction on public roads is a quick way to the impound lot.

XKR said Sharif was goin to set that up in his FCON but we'll see if that actually happens. So much liability for the person driving...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The ViPEC looks like a great choice on paper and it's good to see that its working out well for at least a couple folks. With throttle control in its purview, I wouldn't have wanted to be the guinea pig, but I'm glad to hear there has been no issues and Chris and Gord are still alive.

If it's end user tuneable, has a plug and play harness, and (most importantly!) has good support here in the USA (with a responsive tech support team to respond to bugs), then I'd seriously look into it as a direct competitor to the Haltech. The bar has been set very, very high with the support that Hal from InjectedPerformance provides though. Another great EMS option is good news for all of us.

Last edited by rcdash; 10-13-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Haltech has that tractoin control stuff as well. YOu just need a controlled place to set it up, like a track. Purposely loosing traction on public roads is a quick way to the impound lot.

XKR said Sharif was goin to set that up in his FCON but we'll see if that actually happens. So much liability for the person driving...
Are sure Haltach has traction control? I have never heard that before. XKR is using an additional traction control divice as far as I know I think he stated that in his build thread.

Mine is hooked to my wheel speed sensors I dont need to break traction to set it up just drive around and log wheel speeds at different RPM. Then you can set it so if at certain wheels speeds the rpm is higher than it should be the timing will be retarded till the wheel speed and RPM are back to where they should be it can be set so if the RPM is 500rpm higher than it should be timing is retarded or you can set it to 200rpm. As far as I know no one has all of these features activated as of yet on our platform several of my friends with R-32 Skylines are using them with sucsess. Unfortunatly Cass and I have both been plauged with mechanical issues that prevented us from reaching our goals this season. I have been away working so I havent been able to get much done lately and there is snow on the ground at home if it warms up I need a retune then a race gas or E85 tune and then set up all of the features my tOOner is very busy right now so I might be SOL for this season. I hope to have it dialed in for the Top Dawg airstrip event next year.

Originally Posted by djamps
So have either of you been able to tuck the EMS and harness away cleanly? Is there anyone actively using the features that set it apart yet? (e.g. traction control, yada yada)

Mine is still sitting on the floor on passanger side of my car we want all of the features set up before tucking it away.

On paper it looks like a great system and by next season Chris and I should both have some good feed back weather it is all we hoped or not its still very early to be sure of its capabilities I was just happy when it actually ran the throttle on its own I wasnt convinced it would do that. Like I said lots of my friends run it on different platforms with no issues so things look good so far.

I also agree with RCdash you need support for any system and a tuner that can work with it. I have the largest Vi-PEC distrubitor in North America 15 minutes from my door so it was a no brainer for me. If your tuner dosent like it I doubt its going to work out for you.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 10-13-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:09 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Are you as the end user able to do some fine tuning for things like traction control (if you are/were comfortable tuning)?

The Haltech does have traction control - but it wasn't there on initial release over 2 years ago. I think it was an update from last summer. You can set up axes off the CAN channels, which include things like wheel speed and yaw, etc. While you could create a timing retard map I've only tried it with boost:

Of course, I think there are improvements that could be made such as more user definable maps, gradual trims for control (perhaps that could be reset for different suspension or tire setups), temperature dependence (since you may want to foster greater traction in cold weather vs performance), etc. This is where having a team of engineers, a user forum, and nice support here in the USA are really critical. Once you get used to the standard feature set, there'll always be room for improvement. It's nice to see resources devoted to that advancement.

Even though I'm running the Haltech, I'm very happy to see a worthy competitor. If nothing else, it'll keep both platforms on their toes. I can guarantee you, the Haltech folks read this thread.

Last edited by rcdash; 10-13-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by djamps
YUP, as of today mine is completely tucked away behind the plastics.

Dave would have set the features on mine, but I want the car till it gets cold, then I will give Dave something to do over the winter.

Raj - I believe it would be end user tunable, since its a cell system similar to Haltech & Autronic, not that I ever see attempting something like that.

Beating Hal's support is a very tough task, he is the Haltech guru for sure. There is support for ViPEC, just no experience on our platform like Gord said. Franz @ Justice Racing is our local support guy.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

It is end user tuneable. Lightspeed Innovations has the software avalible for download on there web site. I doubt i will ever trust myself with tuning it. I am good friends with my tuner so I can usually get adjustments when I need them. I plan on learning how to enable and disable features, set launch control ect, ect so i can do them if required. But no tuning from me I have a feeling it would end up bad.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

The FAIL continues.....last night I was out with my tuner even though the car has a rough tune due to the bigger cams. We thought we would screw around and get the traction control working we were going to go for a cruise so he brought a laptop along just for the hell of it. The phucking alternator $hit the bed it never phucking ends
Old 10-17-2009, 08:44 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Faaaaaaaaawk! Gord, you just don't have any luck with this thing.

You should just sell me that motor for $20, I will even drive down and pull it myself..
Old 10-17-2009, 11:38 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you have it heat wrapped? better wrap tha AC compressor and the starter before those poops out on you as well.

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
The FAIL continues.....last night I was out with my tuner even though the car has a rough tune due to the bigger cams. We thought we would screw around and get the traction control working we were going to go for a cruise so he brought a laptop along just for the hell of it. The phucking alternator $hit the bed it never phucking ends
Old 10-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Gord, we need to get together for some beers and light something on fire as a sacrifice to our cars to shake this bad juju we have.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by Cass007
Gord, we need to get together for some beers and light something on fire as a sacrifice to our cars to shake this bad juju we have.
I agree I have never seen two guys have so many things go wrong.

I got the alternater fixed and the valve cover was leaking so I put a new gasket in (alot more work than I thought it would be) and my clutch has been making a wierd noise and vibrating so my tuner recommended have a look at the clutch before we put it back on the dyno today. So last night I dropped the tranny down to have a look I THINK my clutch welded itself together Its a twin plate clutch and when I took it off the flywheel only one disc(closest to the flywheel) came out the other disc and the metal ring are stuck together in the clutch housing I am going to have someone who has more experience with clutches have a look today. I am not sure if I should put my stock clutch in and park it for the winter (put a temporary end to my misery) or get a new clutch so i can get it tuned before parking it. I would like it tuned before parking it that way if anything breaks I have the winter to fix it, if I wait till spring to get a tune and something breaks I could be with out the car all summer again If i tell my wife I am buying a new clutch i might be sleeping in the car
Old 10-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Feeling you on the sleeping in the car and trying to decide on what condition to park the car for the winter. Luckily my wife is completely clueless when it comes to the car and what it costs.

I had a guy come to the house to clean the carpets and he saw the car in the garage and said, "Nice car, what do you have into it, like $50K?" I almost punched him in the face . My wife just looked at me and I was like "that dude is crazy" . WTF, almost outed by the carpet guy.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by Cass007
Feeling you on the sleeping in the car and trying to decide on what condition to park the car for the winter. Luckily my wife is completely clueless when it comes to the car and what it costs.

I had a guy come to the house to clean the carpets and he saw the car in the garage and said, "Nice car, what do you have into it, like $50K?" I almost punched him in the face . My wife just looked at me and I was like "that dude is crazy" . WTF, almost outed by the carpet guy.
Yep I am keeping my mouth shut about a new clutch costing close to 3K she would be choked. I would like to know what she thinks I have into the car? I wont ask but I would like to know if she has any idea how much $$$$ I have thrown at it. I think the kitchen renos would be tough to avoid if she new the cost of the car
Old 10-18-2009, 08:36 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

did you try to pry out the clutch disk?

It might be something wrong with the finger slots on the clutch basket. I'm not sure if all multidisk are setup like the os giken but i could see maybe damage to the fingers causing it to stick in there.

I would try to pry it out and go from there. A rebuild isn't too bad on these clutches. I think around 800$ for the twin os giken rebuild for new metals and friction plates. Pretty good deal when you consider it's 1800$ new.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by binder
did you try to pry out the clutch disk?

It might be something wrong with the finger slots on the clutch basket. I'm not sure if all multidisk are setup like the os giken but i could see maybe damage to the fingers causing it to stick in there.

I would try to pry it out and go from there. A rebuild isn't too bad on these clutches. I think around 800$ for the twin os giken rebuild for new metals and friction plates. Pretty good deal when you consider it's 1800$ new.
I was prying on it a bit (I put a fair bit on pressure and it wasn't coming) I decided to wait till some with more knowledge was around I didn't want to F it up if it wasn't dammaged. I doubt I will waste my money rebuilding it. It was the JDM Nismo super copper mix twin plate I think they are rated for 550ft/lbs of flywheel torque and I put down 620ft/lbs to the wheels on low boost with a mild tune I hoped the clutch would take it but I knew it might not.

Time to decide Tilton triple, Carbonetic triple, OS Giken triple or Quad, GTM Exedy triple?? Anyone have experence with any of the above your imput would be apprecatied. The car is primarily a street car, it will see drag and road course duty. The expected torque should be over 700ft/lbs to the wheels when tuned on race gas.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

I have a Carbonetic Twin Disc and it is fine for the most part (quiet) and seems to hold the power as well. The only complaint I have is that I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic once and when its got hot is was almost impossible to drive smoothly. I haven't had a ton of seat time with it yet either, so I think it will take a bit of learning before I find the best way to handle it.

Quick Reply: Running the New Vi-PEC EMS for my build.