Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Running the New Vi-PEC EMS for my build.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Anyone have experence with any of the above your imput would be apprecatied.
When I get back from vacation, I'm going to fire up my car for the first time since installing the turbo. I have the OS Giken Triple and will let you know my thoughts on it after I have put some miles on it. I used to have an ATS/Carbonetic Triple, so I will have something to compare this new clutch to.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys looks like the clutch is fine It was late and i missed a bolt Looks like it still has lots of life left, I also took the flywheel off and reinstalled it. Hopefully the vibration is gone i am getting up to work on it at 5am so hopefully I am driving it again tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Good to hear!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck Gord. Waiting for more updates
Old 10-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by Cass007
Best of luck Gord. Waiting for more updates
i am going to push for a tune tomorrow, Cam wasn't sure if he had anything already booked or not, if not he might find it strapped to the dyno when he isnt looking I drove it yesterday it drove like $hit with the big cams so i think he might do some road tuning before work in the morning if nothing else just to get my car out of his shop
Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Good to hear!

Thanks i would still like to hear your impressions on both clutches after you get some time with the Giken. Those two are my main considerations for my next clutch.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Well the issues never end! I got the car back together and on the dyno Monday morning. On the dyno i had a bad oil leak from the valve cover that I just replaced the gasket on the night before DIY FTL! I got that fixed then met my tuner at 05:30 this morning for some tuning. Things were going great the bigger cams moved my power band up in the RPM range. Last time we maxed out his Dyno pack(526ft/lbs of torque) at 4000rpm this time it took till 4500rpm. We were just going to pull the dyno pack off and back the car on to the Mustang dyno when I noticed coolant on the floor. I thought I had a leak.....but the coolant resovior was overflowing, possible head lift. We never saw any coolant from the tail pipes and there was no coolant smell but the wideband sensor was ruined(cooled down to fast from the antifreeze?) also no knock was seen and my tuner also listens with a devise called a knock box that amplifies engine noise and no detonation was heard. I am taking a few hours off to do some paper work I am behind on then go spend some time diagnosing, but I am afraid its head lift sleeved engines FTL. We were at 18-19psi and 4500rpm the car put down over 526ft/lbs to shut down the dyno and I think it was 459 hp if you pause the video after it counts down to 0 you can see the numbers before it shuts off. Here is a vid and some pictures look like the car will go into storage and maybe January I will pull it out and fix it i heard Cometic makes a new HG called a fusion that is supposed to be an improved design.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 10-20-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

How are you evacuating the crankcase? It seems that it is getting pressurized (repeated leaky valve covers). Sorry to hear of your troubles... Where did you get this engine from again? I don't know that you need a newly redesigned HG. Something must be fundamentally flawed... you need to find the underlying cause.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by rcdash
How are you evacuating the crankcase? It seems that it is getting pressurized (repeated leaky valve covers). Sorry to hear of your troubles... Where did you get this engine from again? I don't know that you need a newly redesigned HG. Something must be fundamentally flawed... you need to find the underlying cause.
Valve cover gaskets were installation errors, neither saw any boost. My problem is I am doing the work myself and I am sick of working on the car. My attention to detail seems to be lacking lately thats why I am storing it till January if the head lifted. One of the down falls of sleeved engines is the head lift issues that seem common, I think an improved head gasket wouldn't hurt if I am doing it anyway I will try the new design.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:30 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how can you have valve cover gasket install errors? its a rubber seal. tighten to spec.

unless the gasket came out of the groove??

wow, thats alot of fail. Prolly best to step back and take a break from it for now. Hopefully its not headlift!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by str8dum1
how can you have valve cover gasket install errors? its a rubber seal. tighten to spec.

unless the gasket came out of the groove??

wow, thats alot of fail. Prolly best to step back and take a break from it for now. Hopefully its not headlift!

Came out of the groove on the passengers side at the back, not sure how it happened I have did the valve cover gaskets lots before with out issues they are ALMOST idiot proof. Thats why I think I need to shut it down for a bit i am getting frustrated and sloppy and I am causing myself lots of small avoidable issues. Maybe in a few months I will start to enjoy working on the car again

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 10-20-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Well it is head lift. I was on the dyno at only 4500rpm and 18-19psi. The car made more power and was tuned to 7000rpm at the same boost, so i am not sure why the heads decided to lift at this point.

I am now considering giving up on the project altogether. Maybe part out and sell the car altogether i think even if I change out the head gaskets whats to keep it from happening again. I f I was pushing it at 25psi I would say I can understand it happening and turn the boost down but if i can't only run 18-19psi I am so far over kill on everything for the power I could make I could pull the engine and swap the head gaskets in a couple weekends and if I new things would be fine after that it wouldn't be that bad. I might take a week and decide what comes next.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 10-21-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Don't give up my dude........just take a break from it for a bit and step back into it in a few weeks or months.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:59 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Don't give up my dude........just take a break from it for a bit and step back into it in a few weeks or months.
I agree.

Don't give up now...too much time/money invested. If you do afterall decide to part out.....PM me please.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I agree.

Don't give up now...too much time/money invested. If you do afterall decide to part out.....PM me please.

Everyone has a breaking point, Mine might have been reached. I might take a week off to think about things. Then pull the engine and put the car in storage and decide from there. I wish i would have kept track of the hours invested it would make me sick I should ask my wife she might be keeping track i know she hates the car and the time invested in it.

I will give locals first dibs before I post sale threads if i end up parting out

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 10-21-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:10 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Everyone has a breaking point, Mine might have been reached. I might take a week off to think about things. Then pull the engine and put the car in storage and decide from there. I wish i would have kept track of the hours invested it would make me sick I should ask my wife she might be keeping track i know she hates the car and the time invested in it.

I will give locals first dibs before I post sale threads if i end up parting out
I recommend a few hard nights of ..............it worked for cass
Old 10-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

[/URL]
EPIC WIN

Epic props mang

Sylvan, I hope you get through these tough times!

Last edited by Resmarted; 10-21-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: cleaned up post to look less retarded.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:50 PM
IslandZavage

Sorry to hear that. Thats why im spending the extra money and going with the HKS gasket. Do you think going to the 1/2 ARP mains had a role in it? Wasnt there an issue awhile back with them and thats why uts just recommended to stay with standard size head studs (L19, etc..)? Has there been any HKS Gasket failures to date?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

I'm very sorry to hear about this.

I remember that you were concerned about the Cometic head gasket after Jtrain's (G35Driver forum) bad experience with them.

I don't know if this is possible, but it might be worth checking to see of someone can machine the HKS geadgasket out to 100 mm bore.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:46 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
Sorry to hear that. Thats why im spending the extra money and going with the HKS gasket. Do you think going to the 1/2 ARP mains had a role in it? Wasnt there an issue awhile back with them and thats why uts just recommended to stay with standard size head studs (L19, etc..)? Has there been any HKS Gasket failures to date?
I remember about 1 1/2 years ago there was somebody who had problems with the 1/2" head studs. If I remember correctly, the issue was the machining. The new threads in the block were not tapped properly - evidently the studs were not perfectly perpendicular to the deck.

Quick Reply: Running the New Vi-PEC EMS for my build.