Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech owners, how many miles on your stock block since vortech?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:32 PM
forced_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.12 pulley 377whp 316 ft/lb installed a 31,914 I am at 45,xxx right now...
Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 PM
dorkstar

2.87 pulley 421whp 366trq 12psi installed 66-70k made it to around 112k before stock block failed new motor in the works. o had blower replaced once for bearing failure

Last edited by dorkstar; 03-17-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:57 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dorkstar
2.87 pulley 421whp 366trq 12psi installed 66-70k made it to around 112k before stock block failed new motor in the works. o had blower replaced once for bearing failure

how long before the blower failed and on which pulley?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:26 AM
TSG-Z

I recently had my pulley upgraded to the 2.87 with a oil cooler & fuel return line. I got the good news that I laid down 421whp on the "heartbreaker", but was heartbroke after Sharif told me my blower started making "that" noise! Blower was removed and yeap I have signs of implier play, this is after my blower was shipped to Vortech BEFORE it was installed Take GOD my car was AT Forged when it happened. Sorry for the long *** post!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:50 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Anyone hear V3 blower fail tho??
Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 AM
TSG-Z

I heard the problematic blowers were limited to the batch that just so happened to be a GB from PF.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Konvict

so apparently vortechs dont last too long on stock blocks? or are the people with blown engines pushing it too hard?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Konvict
so apparently vortechs dont last too long on stock blocks? or are the people with blown engines pushing it too hard?

u sir need to use the search button, vortech is a very safe kit for stock block
Old 03-18-2009, 11:08 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Konvict
Read.

Nexx is the only person I can think of, and it was tune related.

Edit- didn't read dorkstar's post

Last edited by iStan; 03-18-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Car vs. Driver

I'm curious to see what kind of numbers people are putting down on stock motors with impeller/trim upgrades. More importantly, I want to see the power curve in comparison to say a standard trim with a 2.87 Anyone?

I'm actually considering the 928 V+ impeller upgrade, 2.70 pulley and an aquamist setup as my next upgrades. I'm pretty confident I can run that on a stock block, make significantly more power across the board (particularlly down low) and not blow anything up.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably won't happen for a while- but I want to run a smalley puller with modified wastegate/boost limiter to boost more lower and taper off higher. Sigh, need more money.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
dorkstar

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
how long before the blower failed and on which pulley?
Blower failed on 2.87pulley around 95k miles good thing vortech dosnt ask much questions for warranty repair turnaround was quick & still drove the car just didnt past 3000 rpm only pain was shop labor

u sir need to use the search button, vortech is a very safe kit for stock block
very true vortech is a very safe kit just some of us get greedy
Old 03-18-2009, 12:58 PM
tylerxfire

i too am curious of that v+impeller...seems like it is a good mod for the kit...
Old 03-18-2009, 01:00 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by dorkstar
Blower failed on 2.87pulley around 95k miles good thing vortech dosnt ask much questions for warranty repair turnaround was quick & still drove the car just didnt past 3000 rpm only pain was shop labor

very true vortech is a very safe kit just some of us get greedy

well i installed my kit so if the blower fails i will pull it myself and send it back, so vortech didn't ask any questions about what pulley u were running? how long did u actually use the kit though before it failed or how many years maybe? cause the stock pulley they warrranty for 3 years, but when u change the pulley they told me it cut to a year, i plan to do the 3.12 but don't wanna kick myself in the *** for warranty work if that comes after a year..
Old 03-18-2009, 01:10 PM
dorkstar

well i installed my kit so if the blower fails i will pull it myself and send it back, so vortech didn't ask any questions about what pulley u were running? how long did u actually use the kit though before it failed or how many years maybe? cause the stock pulley they warrranty for 3 years, but when u change the pulley they told me it cut to a year, i plan to do the 3.12 but don't wanna kick myself in the *** for warranty work if that comes after a year..
Nope they just asked for the serial number & where i got the kit from. i told them it sounded like a can of marbles was in my blower & i taught it could be part of their bad batch. they told me it wasnt part of bad batch & just asked me to send it in. Yah i was scared at first about having 2.87 but i have the stock one & belt just in case but it never came up. They were easy to deal with blower came back and they even included a new cogbelt for free since i had to cut mine when blower went bad to prevent damage since i wasnt around any tools at the time.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 PM
dorkstar

3 year warranty, carb legal (saved me in socal) & can still drive the car without blower... Safety +10 over turbos and the stock block runs like a champ if u dont go to crazy & good tune!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

about a year ago, my stock engine barely bent one of the middle rods after about 10k miles of supercharging. 25k or so miles total on engine. I could barely even tell, but there was a light thumping sound. After thinking it was the timing chain or some other minor thing, the engine was pulled and the shortblock itself had a rough spot when you turned the crank by hand

Hard to know what exactly the culprit was, but I don't think it was any single thing.

Might have been the power level

Might have been the time when I was NA and missed a shift at redline, hitting 8000 rpms for a brief second

Both my cats burned up and one idea is that the cat debris might have prevented the exhaust from exiting that side and the heat and pressure backed itself. The computer probably tried to compensate and one way or another burned the other cat up. I'm using better custom made HF cats now (both AAM metal matrix HF cats and crawford HF cats suck for FI BTW)

My gut tells me it was something completely stupid and not necessarily the vortech, though that wouldn't have helped

Now I'm running a GTM engine along with my same JWT cams but now with JWT springs and 10:1 CR. I'm just running 91 pump gas now since race gas is still $8 a gallon vs $1.84 or whatever for 91. Finishing up the break in here soon. I also went back to the stock crank pulley. So I should overall lose some power from where I was before, except I now have the Osiris ECU flash software which lets you adjust the cam phase timing so who knows how much that'll help.

My goal now is to just have the car run. I would have gone with the 3.8 stroker kit, but with the economy money is tighter and I have a feeling I'd have to spend more money working out bugs with my fuel system trying to feed that extra power, and power just isn't a big deal to me anymore anyway.

Last edited by sentry65; 03-18-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm...what do you recommend for HFC's then with Vortech? I burnt out my stocks and am currently using Crawfords (which irritatingly rasp at WOT boost)...

BTW...you boosting more now with the built engine?

Originally Posted by sentry65
about a year ago, my stock engine barely bent one of the middle rods after about 10k miles of supercharging. 25k or so miles total on engine. I could barely even tell, but there was a light thumping sound. After thinking it was the timing chain or some other minor thing, the engine was pulled and it had a rough spot when you turned the crank by hand

Hard to know what the culprit was. Lots of working theories why it happened, but no one will ever know.

Might have been the power level

Might have been the time when I was NA and missed a shift at redline, hitting 8000 rpms for a brief second

Both my cats burned up and one idea is that the cat debris might have prevented the exhaust from exiting that side and the heat and pressure backed itself. The computer probably tried to compensate and one way or another burned the other cat up. I'm using better custom made HF cats now (both AAM metal matrix HF cats and crawford HF cats suck for FI BTW)

My gut tells me it was something completely stupid and not necessarily the vortech, though that wouldn't have helped

Now I'm running a GTM engine along with my same JWT cams but now with JWT springs and 10:1 CR. I'm just running 91 pump gas now since race gas is still $8 a gallon vs $1.84 or whatever for 91. Finishing up the break in here soon.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe fast intentions HF cats or go custom and weld on something heavy duty.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:01 PM
jamie805

Default pulley change

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings guys but as of the beginning of this March if you need to have your blower repaired under the warranty you will be required to send your bracket in for inspection. If the seal is broken or missing your 3 year blower warranty will be voided to 1 year. If your date of purchase is already past one year then your warranty will no longer be valid.

Quick Reply: Vortech owners, how many miles on your stock block since vortech?