Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech owners, how many miles on your stock block since vortech?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jamie- sent you a PM, no reply
Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sentry,

Could we share what gtm engine u running? How's osiris ecu flash work for you?

Chehj
Old 03-18-2009, 03:59 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using their stage 0 shortblock with custom 10:1 CR weisco pistons and eagle rods. For heads I'm using what would be their stage 0 heads, except they have JWT cams and valvesprings. It has the new HR headgasket. They assembled the whole longblock. It's not quite one of their prepackaged longblocks on their website.

I felt better having the whole thing done by them and make sure everything works well as a whole instead of buying the shortblock, bolting my heads on it and hoping they're not damaged.

I'm still using the Fcon V-pro to run my car. The only real reason I went with the Osiris was to kill my chronic P0300 multimisfire code caused by my light flywheel so I can pass emissions. Otherwise it allows cam phase adjustment, I can run a vallet map activated via the cruise control buttons where it has a 2500 rpm rev limit, and I wanted to lower my idle rpms down a little lower.

From what I understand though, the full uprev software from Osiris is pretty slick

Last edited by sentry65; 03-18-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:02 PM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sentry65
I'm using their stage 0 shortblock and then what would be their stage 0 heads, except they have JWT cams and valvesprings. They assembled the whole longblock.

I felt better having the whole thing done by them and make sure everything works well as a whole instead of buying the shortblock, bolting my heads on it and hoping they're damaged.

I'm still using the Fcon V-pro to run my car. The only real reason I went with the Osiris was to kill my chronic P0300 multimisfire code caused by my light flywheel so I can pass emissions. Otherwise it allows cam phase adjustment, I can run a vallet map activated via the cruise control buttons where it has a 2500 rpm rev limit, and I wanted to lower my idle rpms down a little lower.

From what I understand though, the full uprev software from Osiris is pretty slick

How long have you had the new motor? Also What CR did you go with?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I've been driving it about a month now breaking it in with 10:1 CR on 91 octane. The car sat for a while. Money has been tighter this year or it would have happened sooner

One of the major reasons I went with 10:1 is I have the Fcon with almost all of the bells and whistle for it

Last edited by sentry65; 03-18-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:08 PM
05Z33

Have you thought about throwing in a 50 shot now that you have forged internals?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by 05Z33
Have you thought about throwing in a 50 shot now that you have forged internals?
nope
Old 03-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Car vs. Driver

nope
Old 03-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Asian Invasian

about a year ago, my stock engine barely bent one of the middle rods after about 10k miles of supercharging. 25k or so miles total on engine. I could barely even tell, but there was a light thumping sound. After thinking it was the timing chain or some other minor thing, the engine was pulled and the shortblock itself had a rough spot when you turned the crank by hand

Hard to know what exactly the culprit was, but I don't think it was any single thing.

Might have been the power level

Might have been the time when I was NA and missed a shift at redline, hitting 8000 rpms for a brief second

My gut tells me it was something completely stupid and not necessarily the vortech, though that wouldn't have helped
I don't know a whole lot about the internals for cars but... I am getting a compression test really soon. Is this something that a compression test would catch.. or not.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:35 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by Asian Invasian
I don't know a whole lot about the internals for cars but... I am getting a compression test really soon. Is this something that a compression test would catch.. or not.

no not really. If you have a bent rod, you'll probably notice it, so I'd say you probably don't have anything to worry about. It's not like there's anything you can do to fix it anyway without rebuilding.

For what it's worth, I had a compression test done a couple months prior troubleshooting something else (bad ignition coil) and had insanely good compression. Something like 170-180psi in all 6 cylinders
Old 03-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

I'm using their stage 0 shortblock with custom 10:1 CR weisco pistons and eagle rods. For heads I'm using what would be their stage 0 heads, except they have JWT cams and valvesprings. It has the new HR headgasket. They assembled the whole longblock. It's not quite one of their prepackaged longblocks on their website.

I felt better having the whole thing done by them and make sure everything works well as a whole instead of buying the shortblock, bolting my heads on it and hoping they're not damaged.

GTM must have done good job on your build. I'm pretty sure close to 500 whp is enough for you tho. Wish i can ride on your Z one day see how 450~500whp and all traction Z feels.

Chefj
Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
well i installed my kit so if the blower fails i will pull it myself and send it back, so vortech didn't ask any questions about what pulley u were running? how long did u actually use the kit though before it failed or how many years maybe? cause the stock pulley they warrranty for 3 years, but when u change the pulley they told me it cut to a year, i plan to do the 3.12 but don't wanna kick myself in the *** for warranty work if that comes after a year..
Don't waste your time on 3.33 pulley, do it.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by 350z006
Hmmm...what do you recommend for HFC's then with Vortech? I burnt out my stocks and am currently using Crawfords (which irritatingly rasp at WOT boost)...
go with something metallic hfc.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Asian Invasian

no not really. If you have a bent rod, you'll probably notice it, so I'd say you probably don't have anything to worry about. It's not like there's anything you can do to fix it anyway without rebuilding.

For what it's worth, I had a compression test done a couple months prior troubleshooting something else (bad ignition coil) and had insanely good compression. Something like 170-180psi in all 6 cylinders
Im not worried about it at all, i was just wondering. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 AM
jpc350

Default Bracket

Originally Posted by jamie805
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings guys but as of the beginning of this March if you need to have your blower repaired under the warranty you will be required to send your bracket in for inspection. If the seal is broken or missing your 3 year blower warranty will be voided to 1 year. If your date of purchase is already past one year then your warranty will no longer be valid.
What bracket do you speak of ?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 AM
MUZZY

45k miles now and runs as good as the day i installed it
Old 03-19-2009, 01:54 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by jpc350
What bracket do you speak of ?
prolly the blower mounting bracket
Old 03-19-2009, 01:55 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by MUZZY
45k miles now and runs as good as the day i installed it

ur on the 3.12 right muzzy? u have 45k on the blower? no way..how many miles just on the blower any idea?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:57 PM
tylerxfire

well since the vortech guys are here, when u guys are driving say 3rd gear any gear really doesn't matter, but say 3rd gear any rpm really while driving but not boosting, is ur blow off very loud, like dumping air but loud..soon as i get on it, it goes away when the blow off closes and is boosting, just when its venting seems crazy loud, but ive never heard another vortech z in person or anything..
Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM
tylerxfire

oh yeah finally got it out of the garage today after my install, off to get tuned monday by j tibbs...had to give it one good boost on the way home, but the boosting is over till i get tuned, can't wait

Quick Reply: Vortech owners, how many miles on your stock block since vortech?