Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech owners, how many miles on your stock block since vortech?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Vortech BPV goes silent and sounds of whirling boost happen when you punch it.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
oh yeah finally got it out of the garage today after my install, off to get tuned monday by j tibbs...had to give it one good boost on the way home, but the boosting is over till i get tuned, can't wait
Good to hear tyler, finally getting a tune!? huh.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:39 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iStan
The Vortech BPV goes silent and sounds of whirling boost happen when you punch it.

im not talking about when punchig it, im saying when just cruising and not in boost, when the blower is releasing the air it is very loud air sound just driving around and when not in boost

yeah chef, kinda thinkin bout gettin that filter now, but i don't know if it is good or causes problems with compressor surge or not, i would like to quiet this down i think
Old 03-19-2009, 04:40 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Good to hear tyler, finally getting a tune!? huh.

yup 6 hour and 51 minute mapquest trip to maryland leave monday at 5am.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Car vs. Driver

well since the vortech guys are here, when u guys are driving say 3rd gear any gear really doesn't matter, but say 3rd gear any rpm really while driving but not boosting, is ur blow off very loud, like dumping air but loud..soon as i get on it, it goes away when the blow off closes and is boosting, just when its venting seems crazy loud, but ive never heard another vortech z in person or anything..
First, allow me to make a correction to your post ... it's a bypass valve, not a blow off valve. A BPV is always open until it sees positive pressure in the intake manifold, at which point it is forced closed. A BOV is held closed by a spring and only opens when it sees a sudden condition of vacume (or lack of boost pressure).

So, to specifically answer your question: The reason that happens is because the bypass valve is always open until it sees positive pressure in the intake manifold (the vacume line that runs to it). That closes the valve and allows boost to build. When you let off the throttle, the TB slams shut, the manifold goes into vacume and the valve opens releasing all the pressure.

THe easiest way to quiet it down is to route the bypass valve back into the intake stream just behind the filter, but before the SC. As soon as I run an intake duct into my bumper and relocate the filter, I plan to do this.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:53 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Car vs. Driver
First, allow me to make a correction to your post ... it's a bypass valve, not a blow off valve. A BPV is always open until it sees positive pressure in the intake manifold, at which point it is forced closed. A BOV is held closed by a spring and only opens when it sees a sudden condition of vacume (or lack of boost pressure).

So, to specifically answer your question: The reason that happens is because the bypass valve is always open until it sees positive pressure in the intake manifold (the vacume line that runs to it). That closes the valve and allows boost to build. When you let off the throttle, the TB slams shut, the manifold goes into vacume and the valve opens releasing all the pressure.

THe easiest way to quiet it down is to route the bypass valve back into the intake stream just behind the filter, but before the SC. As soon as I run an intake duct into my bumper and relocate the filter, I plan to do this.

yeah i understand the purpose of it, i guess its just habit to call it a blow off..i didn't even think about it when posting, i just wanted to make sure everyone elses was loud while cruising when its letting the air pass out and not in boost.. i plan to just get the filter that vortech has to keep things out of the bypass valve and to quiet it down.. but have to do some more research on it..
Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

yup 6 hour and 51 minute mapquest trip to maryland leave monday at 5am.
Drive safe, and let us know how it turn out. I still have a couple weeks to go ...
Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Drive safe, and let us know how it turn out. I still have a couple weeks to go ...
will do man..im gonna drive like a grandma till i get tuned, i already put it back in the garage so i won't drive it till monday...After i get tuned i am gonna drive it like a half hour to baltimore airport from aam and fly to orlando for 3 days, all i can say is its gonna be a fun ride to the airport but then im gonna have to park it again till i get back to drive back home.....needed a little vacation before i go back to work in a few weeks ..
Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 AM
MUZZY

ur on the 3.12 right muzzy? u have 45k on the blower? no way..how many miles just on the blower any idea?
I have 45k on the blower with 3.12 pully pushing 9.5psi, and everytime I drive it I go full boost
Old 03-20-2009, 04:33 AM
MUZZY

oil change every 2k miles with 10w30 mobil1 and belt change and spark plug change @20k
knowing what your doing is a +
last dyno was 409.9rwhp and the car feels solid as the day that i installed it
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

will do man..im gonna drive like a grandma till i get tuned, i already put it back in the garage so i won't drive it till monday...After i get tuned i am gonna drive it like a half hour to baltimore airport from aam and fly to orlando for 3 days, all i can say is its gonna be a fun ride to the airport but then im gonna have to park it again till i get back to drive back home.....needed a little vacation before i go back to work in a few weeks ..
Tyler.

Where in NY are you? I was thinking of going to AAM too once I get everything ready to go. Sorry if I missed this but... are your driving your car? for 6+ hrs or are you gonna trailer it? if so.. are you driving it with a base map?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:56 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the car will run like stock (assuming your column 0 is setup for your injector size on a UTEC anyhow) without the blower belt on. no reason not to drive it 1000 miles
Old 04-18-2009, 10:43 AM
chaparro78

80k miles on my Vortech, on 2.89 pulley
Old 04-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Add me on it too.

3.12 / 1300 milies on blower/ 49,000 milies on motor
Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 PM
mazymus

nice thread
Old 04-20-2009, 04:10 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i understand the purpose of it, i guess its just habit to call it a blow off..i didn't even think about it when posting, i just wanted to make sure everyone elses was loud while cruising when its letting the air pass out and not in boost.. i plan to just get the filter that vortech has to keep things out of the bypass valve and to quiet it down.. but have to do some more research on it..
You will get a whistling sound at cruising speeds because you have partial throttle which means reduced vacuum. This causes the bypass valve to not be open as much. Obviously the blower is still flowing just as much cfm and the bypass valve has to flow that amount of air through a now smaller opening thus increasing its velocity. That is what causes the whistling sound you hear.

If you were to adjust your spring tension on the BPV it would change the rpm's at which this whistling occurs. However, it could consequently cause compressor surge if adjusted improperly.

Also, I don't believe that their BPV filter is made for keeping debry out of it since the amount of air flowing out of those things would be more than sufficent. It does help with noise a bunch. I am actually going to be switching to two of Procharger's Throttle body style BPV's like the one we run on our race car. The don't make the noise the Vortech ones do and they are much quieter cruising... but darn loud when you shift

Also, I believe
Old 05-29-2009, 04:07 PM
tylerxfire

might as well add me..
vortech 3.12 pulley (9psi) 394whp on aam dynojet, boosted at 32k, now have almost 35.5k and about to switch to 2.87 pulley will update l8tr, but no problems yet knock on wood
Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Konvict

mine had a vortech on for first 4000 miles.... took off and sold jsut b4 i purchased it. had to replace upper oil pan cos mechanic broke it when removing oil feed line from it. was so not cool lol

just wodnering... is there anything i shud be concerned about since my car had a S/C on it early in its life? clutch life? or anything? its 22k now
Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 PM
ForceInduction

Less than 30,000 miles on it when I installed it and now I am pushing 90,000. Stock boost which is around 7psi. Gone through 1 clutch so far...and one belt.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:55 AM
RetchedOne

Bumping this back to the top...

So what is failing on failed motors, rods, pistons?

Quick Reply: Vortech owners, how many miles on your stock block since vortech?