Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SportZ Magazine Supercharger Challenge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 01:25 PM
Mr B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno. I feel that the price should be lower if we're only getting ripped out pages. j/k
Old 09-19-2003, 01:31 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Pagecount

Personally, I like the idea of MORE pages for the current price. Although I would be inclined to pay more, if there was more 350Z info.

-Chrismcagle
Old 09-19-2003, 05:27 PM
jritoli

Default SportZ Magazine

I subscribe to many car magazaines but I ALWAYS look forward to the next issue of Sport Z. ( I wish it were monthly), I like that there are other Z's beside the 350 in the magazine and while I would enjoy more 350Z coverage I believe you present more than a fair amount of article on the 350Z vs others models. If you have a separate mag for the 350Z I'll subscribe to that too but for no keep up the good and I'll support you any way I can.

Jack Ritoli
Old 09-19-2003, 07:59 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: SportZ Magazine

Originally posted by jritoli
I subscribe to many car magazaines but I ALWAYS look forward to the next issue of Sport Z. ( I wish it were monthly), I like that there are other Z's beside the 350 in the magazine and while I would enjoy more 350Z coverage I believe you present more than a fair amount of article on the 350Z vs others models. If you have a separate mag for the 350Z I'll subscribe to that too but for no keep up the good and I'll support you any way I can.

Jack Ritoli
Very good to hear Jack but if this challenge is successful, Sport Z will grow to 80 or 96 pages with added 350Z coverage and classic Z coverage. Bi-monthly potential -- you bet! For those who love Sport Z or those who have yet to enjoy Sport Z, there is no down-side to this challenge. Nothing sinister!

The 350Z crowd and the classic Z folks that don't subscribe to Sport Z have absolutely no clue what we're all about. How could they? The SUPERCHARGER CHALLENGE gives them a good reason to find out.

Within this thread and others, the negative thinkers seem to take great joy in taking pot-shots at Sport Z and that's their right. It is, after all, a forum. I guarantee this to you Jack -- We will not be swayed from our course and we'll do whatever we can to put a bunch of extra ponies in ChrisMCagle's 350Z.

The SUPERCHARGER CHALLENGE just happened, it came from nowhere. There was no marketing plan, but here it is. There is nothing under-handed going on and if you're with ChrisMCagle -- Great. If not, that's OK too.

ChrisMCagle and his post earlier this week fired my synapses and now we have a challenge that could put a new tt or supercharger in his 350Z. WIN-WIN -- We help him, he helps us. He gets a supercharger of his choice and Sport Z becomes a larger magazine with more 350Z images and features. Z lovers helping Z lovers. Nothing more.

hfm, that's my point.

Bob
Old 09-19-2003, 08:09 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Mr B
I dunno. I feel that the price should be lower if we're only getting ripped out pages. j/k
Mr. B -- Stay with me here. You still pay full price and the non-350Z pages will have to ripped out by you. If we do it for you, the price doubles. Manhours and bindery costs are not cheap Mr. B.

To be fair, the ripped version will weigh less so the lower mailing costs could reduce the doubled figure by $0.05.

What more could you ask?

Bob
Old 09-19-2003, 08:30 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default A new challenge?

Originally posted by SinistaZ
im planing on subscribing but i cant help but feeling like chris and Sport Z are gettin the better end of the deal. what would it take for you to buy me a 300zx? lol
Better end of deal: One way to think about it. I prefer to think about it this way -- Chris will certainly get a good deal if he makes his bogey and heck, Sport Z might even start paying for itself -- What a concept!

But the best part of the deal goes to our readers -- a better Sport Z (yes there is room for improvement).

To put a 300sx in your garage. Hummm, how about a 300ZX CHALLENGE where you bring in 5,000 new orders and Sport Z puts a 300ZX in your garage. Do I see 128 pages in our future?

Bob
Old 09-20-2003, 12:48 AM
SinistaZ

too bad chris is takin all my orders. hahah.
I dont even see how chirs is gonna pull off 9,000 or so subscriptions. how many does he have so far?
Old 09-20-2003, 09:49 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple things that just keep bugging me about this whole challenge thing, like I am missing something.

One of those things is what exactly does it take for Chris to get his boost from Sport Z Magazine?

I know it started with Bob challenging Chris to get 50% of the forum members to subscribe. Later Bob stated that he has a figure in mind (apparently something lower and more realistic), but he didn’t post it. I’m not sure if it is still a percentage of the forum, or an actual number. I think it has to be a fixed number. Otherwise, every day as new members join Chris is getting screwed if a certain percentage of them don’t subscribe, not to mention the lofty goal of having to convince thousands of members who never visit the site anymore to subscribe. (Then again, a simply ‘house cleaning’ of old memberships could get Chris his needed percentage. )

So if it is a fixed number, what is it? Maybe you should create a tote board for the Challenge.

Another thing that bugs me is that Bob has already stated that Sport Z is devoting a section of the Winter 2003 issue to Chris’s challenge, and also putting something about it on the magazine website. Now that is a pretty bold move on a challenge, if the outcome hasn’t been determined already. The following Spring 2004 issue might be a very sad one, if it has a story about how Chris fell ‘just a bit short’ of getting his boost.

It would be like the Jerry Lewis Telethon not achieving their pledge goal. I admit, I don’t watch the telethon, but my guess is that each year, in the 11th hour, they probably achieve their goal. It creates the excitement for all the people pledging and watching the show. People get to watch the pledge updates, and they feel good about their contribution, not only for it’s face value (helping MDA), but because they were ‘challenged’, and they can watch their response to the challenge update the ‘tote’ board. If the show didn’t meet their goal for a couple consecutive years, I think they would lose viewers, and therefore donations, as no one wants to be let down at the end. If the telethon wins, then MDA wins, and the viewers feel good about their participation.

I’ve noticed that Bob is now challenging the rest of us, much like a telethon. Challenging us to ‘not be wimps’, to ‘put up our jack’, and we are either “with Chris, or not”, etc. This might help to get some people to subscribe, but not me. I don’t need a telethon to donate money to a charity, and your magazine will need to stand on it’s own merits to get my subscription.

The last thing that just seemed strange to me is why ChrisMCagle, and why a SuperCharger Challenge? Why should I really care if Chris gets a free Supercharger? This is not meant as a slam on Chris whatsoever. I think this thought is running through peoples mind as they read this thread. For all I know, Chris could easily have the funds available to get a SuperCharger installed. This challenge just doesn’t tug at my heartstrings. The SuperCharger is a luxury item, and not something that motivates me to reach for my wallet so someone else can have one. Maybe your next challenge could be to repair someones damaged 350Z, who can’t afford to get it fixed because (insert compelling reason here).

Having said all the above, my opinion is this:
There really isn’t a challenge going on anymore.

I think it started out as a simple little joke, with Bob challenging Chris to bring in about 8,000 new subscribers (what would that be, about $150K in sales?), and Bob would then buy Chris a supercharger or TT (under $10K installed?). Chris, with nothing to really lose, accepted. Chris wrote a very well worded post regarding the challenge, and posted it at all the 350Z forums. Good exposure for the magazine, something a bit different then the normal ‘Buy my Magazine’ posts.

After all that Chris has done it would sure be a bummer if he didn’t get his boost. And I think that anyone who subscribed to the magazine based on your challenge to support Chris and not be a wimp will be bummed to. With this forum being a key demographic for the future of your magazine, my guess is that you would prefer not to have a bunch of subscribers here who feel that Sport Z has let them down.

Chris is getting his boost. It's a done deal. No longer a challenge, but an installation article or series of articles. Not sure if it will be free for Chris, or maybe just a reduced price, or maybe he is paying full price and is ok with that. Something like that. In any case, Congratulations Chris!

If I’m wrong, I don’t think my post is going to hurt Chris’s chances of winning. As I stated above, I don’t think anyone (save for Chris’s family) is going to subscribe just because of the challenge. However, I could see a few people subscribing just because of the exposure the magazine has received on this forum, as people are now interested to see if the mag is even worth all this discussion. Congratulations Bob!

As for me, I am going to try and get my hands on a copy of the magazine. If I think I would enjoy having issues mailed to my door, I will subscribe, and will note that it is to support Chris on my subscription. But I will subscribe only if I like the magazine, and not because of the SuperCharger Challenge, but actually, in spite of it.

Again, these are just my own thoughts and opinions.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:44 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

There are a couple things that just keep bugging me about this whole challenge thing, like I am missing something.

One of those things is what exactly does it take for Chris to get his boost from Sport Z Magazine?

Robert speaking: Scafremon, your read too much into this challenge, it is simply a way for Z lovers to help Chris get his supercharger (or whatever of equal value he so chooses) and by doing so, Sport Z grows.

I know it started with Bob challenging Chris to get 50% of the forum members to subscribe. Later Bob stated that he has a figure in mind (apparently something lower and more realistic), but he didn’t post it.
I’m not sure if it is still a percentage of the forum, or an actual number. I think it has to be a fixed number.

Robert speaking: As stated earlier, the percentage does not matter, total dollars do. For example, two year subscribers are putting more money into the pot and the revenues grow quicker and Chris moves closer to his goal.

Otherwise, every day as new members join Chris is getting screwed if a certain percentage of them don’t subscribe,

Robert Speaking: WHAT? Scafremon, it's a challenge, not a give-away. I challenged Chris and he accepted. I did not say -- Chris, if you buy a subscription to Sport Z we'll GIVE you a tt or supercharger of your choosing.

not to mention the lofty goal of having to convince thousands of members who never visit the site anymore to subscribe.

Robert speaking: There you go. That is why I threw out the my350z.com percentage.

(Then again, a simply ‘house cleaning’ of old memberships could get Chris his needed percentage. )

Robert speaking: You'll need to talk to Mike about that.

So if it is a fixed number, what is it? Maybe you should create a tote board for the Challenge.

Robert speaking: It will be a fixed number and as such, each of our participants should get a two year subscription and be sure to order Enthusiast Back Issue Package #3 (see our subscribe page).

Another thing that bugs me is that Bob has already stated that Sport Z is devoting a section of the Winter 2003 issue to Chris’s challenge, and also putting something about it on the magazine website.

Robert speaking: Scafremon, you are unrelenting. The website updates will have to wait until I hire a new webmaster. The Winter 2003 issue will have a brief sidebar to the SUPERCHARGER CHALLENGE including Chris's Z and the man himself.

Now that is a pretty bold move on a challenge, if the outcome hasn’t been determined already.

Robert speaking: You might want to back off right about here Scafremon; you've just taken a shot at me personally and Sport Z Magazine in particular. You obviously have absolutely no idea who I am and you certainly have no idea about our staff.

The following Spring 2004 issue might be a very sad one, if it has a story about how Chris fell ‘just a bit short’ of getting his boost.

Robert speaking: This is getting sadder by the sentence.

If the telethon wins, then MDA wins, and the viewers feel good about their participation.

I’ve noticed that Bob is now challenging the rest of us, much like a telethon. Challenging us to ‘not be wimps’, to ‘put up our jack’, and we are either “with Chris, or not”, etc. This might help to get some people to subscribe, but not me.

Robert speaking: Scafremon, I grow weary of your negative speaking and you are but one very load voice that will be drowned out by the positive people who dominate these forums.

I don’t need a telethon to donate money to a charity, and your magazine will need to stand on it’s own merits to get my subscription.

Robert speaking: So you spew your anger and distrust without ever reading Sport Z and you obviously never took the time to meet the people behind the scenes at Sport Z. Why would anybody listen to your rantings?

Why should I really care if Chris gets a free Supercharger?

Robert speaking: Because your are who your are and you've just exposed yourself for the world to see. Oooops.

This is not meant as a slam on Chris whatsoever. I think this thought is running through peoples mind as they read this thread.

Robert speaking: You have spoken for yourself Scafremon, nobody else.

For all I know, Chris could easily have the funds available to get a SuperCharger installed. This challenge just doesn’t tug at my heartstrings. The SuperCharger is a luxury item, and not something that motivates me to reach for my wallet so someone else can have one. Maybe your next challenge could be to repair someones damaged 350Z, who can’t afford to get it fixed because (insert compelling reason here).

Robert speaking: It was fun debating this issue with you Scafremon, now I'm going out in the woods and mind-meld with the thousands of Z fanatics who love Sport Z and ask them to understand that you are but one person who has issues to deal with.

Having said all the above, my opinion is this:
There really isn’t a challenge going on anymore.

I think it started out as a simple little joke, with Bob challenging Chris to bring in about 8,000 new subscribers (what would that be, about $150K in sales?), and Bob would then buy Chris a supercharger or TT (under $10K installed?).

Robert speaking: So the scenario goes something like this. I take the $150K and put it in my pocket and award Chris the tt or supercharger of his choosing. So, I now have $140,000 in the bank that could fund my jet-set lifestyle. Sorry Mr. Associate Publisher, sorry Mr. Editor, sorry Mr. graphic designer, sorry contributing writers, sorry Mrs. circulation manager, sorry Mr. proof reader, sorry Mr. color genius, sorry Mr advertising director, sorry Mr. printer, sorry USPS --- I'm taking my new-found stash and heading into the mountains. Oh yeah, for the thousands of readers and advertisers, I'm sure you'll understand that I've grown weary and have to go out and hug an elk and start communing with nature. I choose not to go to work anymore and you duped unfortunates will just have to deal with it.

Chris, with nothing to really lose, accepted. Chris wrote a very well worded post regarding the challenge, and posted it at all the 350Z forums. Good exposure for the magazine, something a bit different then the normal ‘Buy my Magazine’ posts.

Robert speaking: By now, Chris knows a great deal about me and unquestionably trusts what the future could bring. He does not come from the school of negative thinking and understands that things are not just given to him, it takes hard work and a positive outlook to get where he wants to be.

After all that Chris has done it would sure be a bummer if he didn’t get his boost.

Robert speaking: I know exactly where you're coming from Scafremon. Reward the man because he cared about the challenge, reward the man because he tried. Well, that's BS.

Robert speaking: Chris understands his challenge and I provided a jump start to reach his goal. All 350Z forum members who have subscribed to Sport Z this year will go into his column. But I can't do that accounting unless the "older" subscribers contact me at publisher@sportzmagazine.com. For example, all the ladies at Zchickz are gathering the names right now. They care about the challenge. People who have ordered new subscriptions referencing the SUPERCHARGER CHALLENGE care about Chris's quest. In the weeks to come, there will a number of Sport Z advertisers who'll jump in and lend Chris a hand.

Robert speaking: These people care about the challenge and they care about me, they care about Sport Z and they could be persuaded to care about you.

Congratulations Bob!

Robert speaking: Thanks. But not for the reasons you think.

As for me, I am going to try and get my hands on a copy of the magazine. If I think I would enjoy having issues mailed to my door, I will subscribe, and will note that it is to support Chris on my subscription. But I will subscribe only if I like the magazine, and not because of the SuperCharger Challenge, but actually, in spite of it.

Robert speaking: We sell all back issues except the issues that have sold out (issues #1, #2 and #3) Dispite your misguided statements, Chris will welcome your support as will I.

Bob
Old 09-20-2003, 01:12 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, we purge (house clean) members daily. The current number is correct. It used to be at 33,000.

Fixed your reply Bob for easier reading.

Victor
Old 09-20-2003, 01:25 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Scafremon
For all I know, Chris could easily have the funds available to get a SuperCharger installed. This challenge just doesn’t tug at my heartstrings. The SuperCharger is a luxury item, and not something that motivates me to reach for my wallet so someone else can have one.

Jeff,

I won't address your entire post because I feel that Bob did a superlative job already. I will however address the above mentioned comment...

I most definitely do NOT have the funds to purchase a tt or supercharger. Why do you think that I had done the "poor man's DIY Exhaust mod" on my car by putting washers between the exhaust pipe and the muffler to make it louder? Well, it's beause I couldn't afford to get a "real" exhaust system. Believe me when I say that I KNOW how much of a luxury item a tt or Supercharger is.

When I accepted the challenge I was WELL aware of my chances for success... but I accepted anyway because I have a positive attitude and feel that a person's attitude is what determines whether you succeed or fail. I myself do not even know the specific goal I need to reach in order to win this challenge, but what I do know is that if I do everything that I possibly can to get the support of everyone then I WILL succeed. I have no doubts in my mind about Bob keeping up his end of the challenge because I trust in him and what he stands for.

With that said... I can most assuredly use your help and support, but if you choose not to, that is fine too.

-Chrismcagle
Old 09-20-2003, 01:41 PM
Scafremon

Dare I say I think you missed the point Bob?

This could be because you decided to evaluate and respond to each of my sentences as stand-alone points, instead of trying to understand the concept of my post as a whole. But even as individual sentences, I think they each still hold water, with some being facts, some being my own observations, and others quite simply my opinions as stated.

I don't claim to speak for anyone other than myself.

My opinion that the outcome of this 'challenge' (ie; Chris wins) has already been determined is not a personal attack on you, or a particular attack on the magazine. You've decided not to divulge exactly what it is going to take for Chris to win the challenge,and I guess my suggesstion for a tote board has fallen on deaf ears. I'm ok with that. Believe it or not, both those ideas were one that I thought could inspire participation in the Challenge. At minimum, it would strengthen the legitimacy of the contest, and eliminate anyone's concerns (albeit, maybe just mine) that the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

You are correct, in that I have not done any investigative research on who you are, what you stand for, who your staff is, what they stand for, etc. Do I need to do that before subscribing to a magazine, or before stating my opinions on a topic in a forum?

I don't consider my opinion one of negativity. I sincerely want Chris to get the supercharger, and I want your magaazine to be successful. I have no ill-will towards anyone related to this. (Does my post really come across as such? My bad).

And as for me being unrelenting, sure, I think I will be very vocal in my dissatisfaction if Chris does not receive his supercharger, considering how the details of this challenge were never released, yet I am challenged to not only subscribe, but to make it a 2 year subsciption, and order back issues to boot? (Surely this comment of yours was one in humour, at least that is the way i am electing to interpret it. Any other way and it comes across as being kinda condescending, like us 1 year subscribers don't mean jack to you).

And as for me spewing anger and distrust, having issues to deal with, exposing myself by posting my thoughts, persuading people here to care about me...nah....I don't think that describes me.

But I have seen this here on this forum....on this thread even.

Best wishes to Chris, and to Bob. Sincerely.

And Chris..... www.zcar.com I don't think I saw notice of the challenge posted there.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:44 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
Jeff, we purge (house clean) members daily. The current number is correct. It used to be at 33,000.

Fixed your reply Bob for easier reading.

Victor
Victor, thanks. I should figure out how to do that.

Bob
Old 09-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Scafremon

Mike: That's awesome! I didn't know you do that. Sixteen thousand active members is most incredible!

Chris: I hear ya on not having the funds. I hope my comment didn't come across as if I was implying you did. I do wish I knew what you had to do in order to win. If you can't see the goal line, how can you possibly score? I guess Bob just wants you to keep throwing passes, when an off-tackle run or two might be all that you need.

As for my help and support, believe it or not, in my own weird way, I'm trying.

Order # 89615632xx
Old 09-20-2003, 01:57 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Thanks for the new clarity.

[i][/B]
Truce!

Bob
Old 09-20-2003, 02:03 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Scafremon
As for my help and support, believe it or not, in my own weird way, I'm trying.
I sincerely appreciate it, Jeff!

-Chrismcagle
Old 09-20-2003, 02:57 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris did you post this on the other 350Z sites as well?

350zforums.org
350zforum.com
zcar.com
club350.com
everything350z.com
350zfrenzy.com
350zfan.com
zdriver.com

Just trying to help.

Victor
Old 09-20-2003, 03:19 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

WOW...what a read

Chris..you do realize this is all your fault don't you

In the words of the great Rodney King ( I seem to remember quoteing him before over the past year) " Can't we all just get along"

BTW..my renewal counted toward your goal Chris and I know Bob will be fair..he always has been with me
Old 09-20-2003, 03:51 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
Chris did you post this on the other 350Z sites as well?

350zforums.org
350zforum.com
zcar.com
club350.com
everything350z.com
350zfrenzy.com
350zfan.com
zdriver.com

Just trying to help.

Victor
Victor,

I did post a thread on all those forums you listed (and a couple not on your list) except for the following:

zcar.com
everything350z.com
zdriver.com

I'll get a thread on those ASAP. Thanks for the heads up!!

AudioPat,

Thanks for your support. Every one counts!

-Chrismcagle
Old 09-21-2003, 11:09 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob: Let me interject something here. Jeff (Scaf) is NONE of the things you mentioned in your reply to him. He is one of he most thoughtful posters I have EVER read on ANY 350Z site. I guess you just need to know him better. I have had that privilege for almost a year and a half now.

To be perfectly honest with you, I have to agree with what he is saying. The fact that you chose not to disclose this mystical "goal" really puts a cloud over this entire thing and tends to make one think that it truely is a done deal. I think you would help things a lot if you either came out and admitted that (if it is the case) or at least tell us (and Chris) EXACTLY what he (we) need to do to get him this mod.

Finally, NO WHERE does Jeff state that YOU PERSONALLY will pocket any $ from your challenge, but come on. Let's call it what it is. What publisher of a magazine wouldn't LOVE to increase his sales like that?

Just my thoughts here.

Quick Reply: SportZ Magazine Supercharger Challenge!