Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SportZ Magazine Supercharger Challenge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 08:18 AM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SportZ Magazine Supercharger Challenge!

Hello everyone,

I have been offered a challenge by SportZ magazine based on a comment I made about offering a specific "350Z Only" version of the magazine:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=8

Here is my question to you. Do you think that a 350Z only magazine is something that you'd subscribe to? Would you be more inclined to susbscribe to SportZ if it was dedicated entirely to the 350Z or at least had a lot more information on them? I would (even though I have sent in my subscription for the magazine in it's current form). The challenge that has been given to me is that if I can get 50% of the members of this forum to subscribe and say "Yes, I want more 350Z's in Sport Z Magazine", SportZ will buy and install either a supercharger or TT in my car.

So what's in it for you

Well, in addition to getting a great magazine packed with lots of pictures and articles about all Z's you will have the opportunity to voice your vote on whether or not you would want MORE 350Z information than currently is included in SportZ magazine. So... if you are like me and think that a magazine that has more information, articles, and pictures of our beautiful 350Z's is something you want, Please please please subscribe to SportZ Magazine right away and tell them "I want more 350Z's in your magazine". Also, please make sure to let them know that you want your subscription to go toward the "Chrismcagle Supercharger Challenge".

There are 3 easy ways you can subscribe to SportZ Magazine

1. Go HERE and fill in the info.
2. Call (505) 771-2374
3. E-mail circulation@sportzmagazine.com

Thanks,
Chrismcagle

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 09-24-2003 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:27 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would I buy a magazine devoted only to the 350Z? Oh yeah!

But would others???

The problem is the magazine must maintain a certain level of circulation (issues published and sold) to attract advertisers. Believe what you like, but your subscription rate doesn't really pay the bills... what the magazine charges the vendors is what pays the bills.

As you know, there is just now getting to be a fair number of aftermarket stuff available for the 350Z and even with that, with only 35K or so cars sold so far, those things aren't selling quickly. Sure, everyone on this forum is buying stuff for their Z, but the majority of buyers are probably happy with the car just the way it is from the factory and will not be changing anything.

If the SportZ went 350Z only, I don't see how it could continue to be a magazine for very long.

What I think would work is if they devoted more magazine coverage to the Z. Rather than take away the 240Z-300ZX coverage, how about a thicker magazine??? I'd pay a few more dollars a year to have a magazine with half again as many pages that are devoted to the Z.

Anyone out there at Sport Z listening???

Last edited by mcduck; 09-17-2003 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:31 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Two mags

Well, in my original post I mentioned making SportZ Magaine into two seperate magazines. One for the classic Z's and one for the newer ones... if that helps to clarify things.

-Chrismcagle
Old 09-17-2003, 08:34 AM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Good luck Chris --- We're pulling for you. We will devote a section of the Winter 2003 to help support your need for speed. Chris, please send photos (digital high resolution is preferred). Please be sure to include photos of you and your 350Z as well as images of you away from your Z and photos of your Z in beautiful places with you taking photos (Z alone).

I will take your quest online with www.sportzmagazine.com as soon as I receive some of your images. Please put your images on a CD and get them to me ASAP. You may want to wait a week or two to see if your quest catches on.

Bob
Sport Z Magazine
7131 So Fox Circle
Larkspur, CO 80118
Old 09-17-2003, 09:44 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Yahoo

Bob,

I'll take some pictures today and this weekend and get them out to you the first of next week. Thanks

-Chrismcagle
Old 09-17-2003, 10:24 AM
MadMax76

I wouldn't spend a penny to subscribe to any magazine. Why do that if you can find 100x more information and pictures on the internet for free?
Old 09-17-2003, 10:27 AM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by mcduck
Would I buy a magazine devoted only to the 350Z? Oh yeah!

But would others???

The problem is the magazine must maintain a certain level of circulation (issues published and sold) to attract advertisers. Believe what you like, but your subscription rate doesn't really pay the bills... what the magazine charges the vendors is what pays the bills.

Robert speaking: Dead on McDuck.

As you know, there is just now getting to be a fair number of aftermarket stuff available for the 350Z and even with that, with only 35K or so cars sold so far, those things aren't selling quickly. Sure, everyone on this forum is buying stuff for their Z, but the majority of buyers are probably happy with the car just the way it is from the factory and will not be changing anything.

Robert speaking: You could be right and you could be wrong regarding changes. I know for a fact that many readers of Sport Z are just every day drivers who love Z's and the tradition of what it means to be a Z fanatic.

If the SportZ went 350Z only, I don't see how it could continue to be a magazine for very long.

Robert speaking: No, No, No, No, No, Sport Z will never go 350Z only -- NEVER.

What I think would work is if they devoted more magazine coverage to the Z.

Robert speaking: You mean 350Z, don't you?

Rather than take away the 240Z-300ZX coverage, how about a thicker magazine??? I'd pay a few more dollars a year to have a magazine with half again as many pages that are devoted to the Z.

Robert speaking: There could be a separate Sport Z for the 350Z and the traditional Sport Z for the classic Z's (240 - 300). However, the scenerio would most likely be a thicker issue as you said. Can you just see the faces of our writers right about now? Priceless.

Robert speaking: Art and Dave are probably headed toward a state-of-shock right about now. Ever see the caught-in-the-headlight look of an editor or an associate publisher? Priceless.

Robert speaking (See McDuck's closing statement below): Listening? listening? You bet we're listening.

Anyone out there at Sport Z listening???

Bob
Old 09-17-2003, 10:45 AM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by MadMax76
I wouldn't spend a penny to subscribe to any magazine. Why do that if you can find 100x more information and pictures on the internet for free?
MadMax, I'm sure Chris will welcome your support. It's good of you to get onboard the ChrisMCagle turbo/supercharger express. We take MC, Visa, checks and cash.

Bob
Old 09-17-2003, 11:10 AM
ChrisMCagle

Well I suppose this could go the way of MP3's and the recording industry. "Why go buy a CD when you can download songs for free??"

My Answer: Things cost money to make. Bottom line. Therefore the companies that make these things must bring in money/profits in the form of purchases (i.e. subscriptions in this case) for it to continue to exist.

By subscribing to SportZ Magazine, you are not just getting words and pictures, you are getting something that took several people many hours to think of, research, write about, not to mention fund. By subscribing, you are helping to promote excitement and enthusiasm for the Z community and keep R&D for new products continuing. This particular event is even more important because not only are you getting a subscription to a great magazine, you are being given the rare opportunity to let SportZ Magazine know that you want (or don't for that matter) a magazine devoted specifically to the 350Z.

With that said, I hope that I can count on your subscriptions.

-Chrismcagle
Old 09-17-2003, 12:13 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Do what you want. I got the magazine to support the Z community of ideas and support road testing that people that post on the web do not have time to compare such as the exhaust shoot out.

Many people that post tend to get what they think would be good and most often write what confirms their choice. A magazine has more time, resources, and measuring equipment to compare all products.

Again ,if you disagree, dont spent the small amount of money for the magazine and just hang out on my350z without any other sources. I love my350z.com but how can more information be a bad thing? I choose to do both because information is power.

I want to be sure that when I purchase something to mod my Z, it is well researched.

Last edited by zland; 09-17-2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:15 PM
Alang

Personally I like reading about the classic Zs. I've owned 4 of them in the past, and plan to own more. I would be more interested in supporting Sport Z as is (I am a subscriber) than buying into a new 350 only mag.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:38 PM
MadMax76

I understand all the points that you are providing except I guess the remark: "... dont spent the small amount of money for the magazine and just hang out on my350z without any other sources." In my original post I said that you can find information on the Internet no just my350z. The research shows that most magazines, newspapers and even some books publications are adopting internet as an alternative way of delivering information. Those who for one reason or another decided not to do so lost on a big share of market. I wish I remembered the example, but one of the big dictionaries decide against going electronic and lost pretty big market share to others who did. Most magazines have their websites with reviews and arcives about many cars. Why spend money on magazines, which require paper that is made out of trees and further endanger the nature when you can preserve the same trees by connecting to the internet and getting the information that you need. The websites that magazines have are free, so why not take that advantage of that. If they would like for people to pay for esubscription it's their choise but so far I have not seen too many of that, which is also THEIR choise. As far as supporting the research for the aftermarket parts - same magazines online will generate enough traffic to get paid by those who want to advertise on their website. I don't want to bash the old way, however if there is something better, and I think internet is better, why should I cling to the old way? Anyway, this is just my personal opinion and I am sure there are others who would agree with me.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Jspec350z

What do you read on the can? My notebook is hard to balance on my legs. Thank god for magazines
Old 09-17-2003, 01:01 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Why spend money on magazines, which require paper that is made out of trees and further endanger the nature when you can preserve the same trees by connecting to the internet and getting the information that you need.
MadMax, have you ever played or listened to a Grand Piano?
Have you ever lived in a house?
Have you ever printed out an internet article?

Trees are a renewable resource and without them we'd be living in tin shacks playing a trumpet with music sheets made of tablets of stone. OMG, can you imagine the horror of a bathroom without that renewable resource? I'm the publisher and the printer of Sport Z Magazine and I know a little bit about our renewable resource.

Glad you're with us MadMax, appreciate your support.

Bob
Old 09-17-2003, 01:20 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Alang
Personally I like reading about the classic Zs. I've owned 4 of them in the past, and plan to own more. I would be more interested in supporting Sport Z as is (I am a subscriber) than buying into a new 350 only mag.
Alang -- appreciate your comments and welcome your business. Rest assured, the look of Sport Z Magazine will remain essentially the same as it is only thicker. I will never get away from the classic Z's and I would never let down the supporters we've had for these last three years.

Imagine Sport Z with 80 pages or even 96. Imagine the same quality with additional graphics that'll knock your socks off. There really is no down side to a bigger and better Sport Z if you already believe in our product.

Supporting Chris will move us in that direction.

Bob
Old 09-17-2003, 01:26 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Jspec350z
What do you read on the can? My notebook is hard to balance on my legs. Thank god for magazines
Thanks for saying that before I did. You beat me by minutes. Oh yeah, taking your notebook to the garage while working on your latest project could be tragic. I guess you could print out the internet how-to, but that would require paper. Oops

Bob
Old 09-17-2003, 02:11 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Some of us are computer only people, some are book/mag people only. Others are both.

I love the amount of info the internet provides and ability of feedback from others. I also like to hold the mag and read from it. I still feel reading on a screen does not somehow match holding it in your hand.

SportZ is the magazine for Z people. If you feel it is important to have that resource, I suggest you support it.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:29 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck on getting 50 percent of the members of this forum though. There are around 20,000 members if I remember correctly. That's a lot of posts you'll need!
Old 09-17-2003, 02:55 PM
MadMax76

I offer my moral support . As for monetary I still have to save up for a Z, I am almost there.

Here is my first support for ya: "Good luck!"
Old 09-17-2003, 03:11 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Good luck on getting 50 percent of the members of this forum though. There are around 20,000 members if I remember correctly. That's a lot of posts you'll need!
Dr. Bonz, believe me I'll be flexible on the percentage. I have a number in my head where the tt or supercharger will go on his 350Z regardless of the whole number expressed in hundredths.

I'm thinking about other incentives as well.

BTW, you didn't answer my SUNNY PA question. I'll be in PA in October hopefully and I might be able to drop in one day and do a butt check on your 350Z Procharger. From what I've seen/heard, you're also the doctor of detailing as well. I'll bring my digital.

Bob

Quick Reply: SportZ Magazine Supercharger Challenge!