Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Cooling System Upgrade Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Fluidyne makes some big beefy oil coolers, they arent cheap but they are pretty nice. You can also go with setrab which I believe is what stillen uses.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:31 AM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fluidyne has some nicee coolers. That long one looks promising for FI folk (under the race/oil section).
Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 AM
erichsherrill

Originally Posted by erichsherrill
i also have been debating getting an oil cooler. i just want as many saftey percautions as possible for my engine. obviesly besides my turbo. where did the ppl who do have it end up mounting it. and where do i tap in. can i tap in on my oil pan spacer?? FML if that was a dumb question

forget the last part was ever asked...
Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 PM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the kits that are on the market come with everything to mount the cooler, or do you still have to fabricate your own mounting brackets?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
erichsherrill

how many rows shuold i go with? is the shorter long horizontal length, or the taller easier to mount for our car? im fi if that changes anything. can it mount it behind my intercooler? where are other ppl mounting theres. dont send me that link of the guy installin ive already seen it. i was just wanting more suggestions.

Last edited by erichsherrill; 07-10-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:39 PM
erichsherrill

anyone?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:06 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

idk about nismo thermostat, its only 10 degrees cooler, cheapest one i found was for 118 bucks. i called a company that was carrying them, they said "no warranty". i know because i needed the thermostat at the time. ask yourself do you really need to spend 118+ for 10 degrees? autozone, 20 bucks. my advice get the silicone hoses, they are more durable, aluminum radiator, do research on prices, dont go to company you never heard of. gl with the upgrade
Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 AM
aln

what is the thinnest fan shrowd possible to get for the Z? I've seen 2.5" at the motor online for a 14" fan (want two if possible). What is the thickest radiator you guys have been able to squeeze into the Z? Saw far to hot water temps on my trackday so looking for the biggest possible solution. (and cutting the oem bumper). Any problems take out the termostat and have it going through the rad at all times? I've got APS TT kit at the moment.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:44 AM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the fluidyne is a massive cooler! I purchased the 32" x 4" x 4" (approximate) model, and mounted it in FRONT of where the intercooler will be placed (GTM converting to TT now)....I had to reweld the two -AN 10 fittings so that they come out parallel with the cooler instead of perpendicular from Fluidyne. @ large L brackets were welded also to provide secure mounting points to the GTM IC mounting points... (see photo).
The carbon spoiler that I purchased prjoects forward enough that the cooler fits INSIDE the spoiler, so I cut 3 vents to force air directly into it...
It's stilll going to be a tight fit with the IC but I believe it can be made to fit...

Also, the cooler can be sprayed with a heat dispersing coating by SAM at GTM
The cooler increases the oil capaacity about 1.53 qts if I remember correctly.
Whatever cooler you go with, get a DECENT sandwich block as many come with fittings that project the lines into a sway bar if you have one...I believe the MOCAL fittings do come off the sandwich in a better position than my current sandwich....It will leak and its diffficult to tighten when the lines are too close to the sway bar...I WILL be switching to a MOCAL type!

Also, if you are interested in alternative mounting locations, look into the area between the rearmost muffler, if you have an aftermarket exhaust that allows it. (see photo)...you could use this area for a diff, AT (s I did) or engine cooler..

On the coolant side, you may want to look at larger cooling fans like the twin spal setup (14") sold by GTM and others. You could also change your DE to an HR style coolant flow when you build your block (much easier to purge air bubbles and reroutes the coolant flow).

I agree on the mishimoto quality...I wont repeat that anytime soon..I went with the 54mm PWR wich does require modification to fit..

Hope my 2 cents helps!
Attached Thumbnails Cooling System Upgrade Recommendations-350z-front-spoiler-oil-cooler-cutouts-closeup.jpg   Cooling System Upgrade Recommendations-350z-front-spoiler.jpg   Cooling System Upgrade Recommendations-350z-rear-carbon-diffuser-twin-oil-coolers.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 AM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile track car biggest radiator

If you can do without the ac for a track car, GTM offers an 82mm radiator!! (I know I keep harping about GTM but they do a nice selection of poducts!

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/home.php?cat=425