Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Cooling System Upgrade Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:30 AM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooling System Upgrade Recommendations

FML if this has already been answered a couple of times. I tried searching, and couldn't really find the answer I'm looking for.

I'm about to go TT on a stock block. I will be running low boost ( < 8psi on spring pressure.. and I refuse to get a boost controller right now.) untill I build an engine sometime next year. I plan to slowly upgrade everything untill I'm ready to drop in the new block.

My Car:

- 03 Touring 6MT
- ~80k miles, good compression
- a little more than a weekend cruiser, but not a daily driver
- will not be tracked, and has not been tracked since I bought it. I might take it to the strip one day just to get numbers after going FI.

While I'm doing the install, I want to at least upgrade the radiator, too. My question is, is there any other coolant upgrades I should be concerned about before driving on boost? By the time I got done with "well, I might as well get that, too" on Forged's site, I ended up with:

Samco Radiator Hose Kit
Koyo Racing Slim 350Z/G35 Radiator
Nismo Thermostat
Greddy Type-S High Pressure Radiator Cap
Nissan VQ35 Rear Coolant Bypass System

All of those sound reasonable to me, but after the price was ~$1000, I thought I'd ask the question.

This isn't a "budget install" per say, but I'd like to "upgrade-over-time" on as much as possible.

What do you think?

Last edited by FineWine; 07-09-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 AM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of kit? Who will your shop be? Why not ask them?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 AM
intoZsunset

If you're interested in cutting the cost down a bit, Mishimoto's products are just as good as Koyo (if not better) in quality and much more affordable. Individual brands aside, I think you are good with the coolant system. You may want to look into an external oil cooler as well.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Yup its needed, get the stuff ,get the other stuff you need for FI.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:36 AM
FineWine

Originally Posted by plumpzz
What kind of kit? Who will your shop be? Why not ask them?
APS BB twin kit. I'm doing everything except tuning myself, so there's no shop to ask untill it's too late EDIT > as in, If I need to do it before my build, I want to do it while I have the engine out for the install.

Originally Posted by intoZsunset
If you're interested in cutting the cost down a bit, Mishimoto's products are just as good as Koyo (if not better) in quality and much more affordable. Individual brands aside, I think you are good with the coolant system. You may want to look into an external oil cooler as well.
Thanks! Just found them on Z1. I'll get that radiator, and hoses there.

Last edited by FineWine; 07-09-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by intoZsunset
we sell both, but that statement is so far from the truth, it isn't even funny

OP - skip the NISMO thermostat and honestly

The samco hoses are basically a dressup part - your choice there. Rubber does get hard over time with the heating/cooling cycles of the engine, but the Samco hoses do "sweat" fluid a bit when the car is really pushed hard (I've noticed it during track use).

The oil cooler would be a wise investment if you can find the room for it

The radiator cap again, pure dressup, your call there
Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would put your money towards the oil cooler (a must for FI), and skip the rest of the cooling system upgrades aside from dress up if that is what you want. Unless you time attack / auto-x your Z or live in the middle of a desert...
Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 AM
FineWine

Originally Posted by djamps
I would put your money towards the oil cooler (a must for FI), and skip the rest of the cooling system upgrades aside from dress up if that is what you want. Unless you time attack / auto-x your Z or live in the middle of a desert...
Even the radiator?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Coach@UPR
Former Vendor

Even the radiator....I ran the oem one for a long time on my stock block with TT in Florida with no issues. You might as well wait until you pull the motor on your build and then do the radiator.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Blackbird CPV35

The only thing I ran on my APS extreme was a Koyo R core radiator and I did just fine.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 AM
FineWine

Sounds like my new list is:

Stillen Oil Cooler Kit
Z1 Silicone Hoses

~$525. Free's up more cash for my tune
Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Blackbird CPV35

Originally Posted by FineWine
Sounds like my new list is:

Stillen Oil Cooler Kit
Z1 Silicone Hoses

~$525. Free's up more cash for my tune
You dont even need the hoses, i would just do a Oil Cooler and a slim radiator and call it a day
Old 07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach@UPR
Even the radiator....I ran the oem one for a long time on my stock block with TT in Florida with no issues. You might as well wait until you pull the motor on your build and then do the radiator.
+1

I ran a logger once and my temps never went more than a few degrees over thermostat temp during an entire hot day of driving, both in slow heavy traffic jams and open stretches. It was 100 degrees outside the whole time (110 with heat index). I am certain though, that the oil cooler makes a pretty big difference in the cooling system's ability to keep temps in check. Much of the extra heat is coming from the turbo's oil return lines.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:37 AM
k6750gsxr

Originally Posted by djamps
+1

I ran a logger once and my temps never went more than a few degrees over thermostat temp during an entire hot day of driving, both in slow heavy traffic jams and open stretches. It was 100 degrees outside the whole time (110 with heat index). I am certain though, that the oil cooler makes a pretty big difference in the cooling system's ability to keep temps in check. Much of the extra heat is coming from the turbo's oil return lines.

This is the truth. Oil cooler is a must. Not so much the other stuff.

I personally did a nismo therm just because there cheap and do help a little.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:45 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Blah, you don't need a Stillen oil cooler. Piece one together for much cheaper. I think mine ended up around ~$150.

Since you are doing all the work yourself, you shouldn't have much trouble if you do find your car heating up. I personally went with every cooling option available, less pathfiner mod, and still overheat in the desert. Arg.

Edit: Unfortunately, after two years, my FAL fans crapped out on me. I have the Mishimoto Fan/Shroud on order. Hopefully will be installed early next week. 100+* is killing my car right now . Oh, my air bubble probably isn't helping either

Last edited by iStan; 07-09-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:47 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FineWine
- will not be tracked, and has not been tracked since I bought it.
ya lost me there..........

-J
Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 AM
FineWine

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
ya lost me there..........

-J
lol, I guess in your eyes that would translate to:

show-go, not go-go
Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My suggestion would be to go with Howe Racing for a radiator if you are on a budget but still looking for high quality. Howe Racing is significantly cheaper than any other radiator out there for the Z and the quality and service are top notch. They are a circle track company primarely which is why you don't hear of them on these boards and why they are cheaper price wise. I have ran three different Howe radiators in my Z. Mine have all been custom ones (which were all under $260 a piece), but they do have a 350z application.

Amazing quality, amazing price and amazing service! By amazing service I mean you can send your radiator in at any time and they can add things such as fittings or custom ports at minimal cost. If you wreck your core, you can send it in and they will replace just the core for a fair price. My friends and I have been using them on our cars for a couple years now and now 928 Motorsports has switched to them because it cost 1/3 the price they were paying for a radiator from another manufacturer.

www.howeracing.com

The guy to talk to is Rick Yancer if your intrested.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Quamen; 07-09-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 PM
erichsherrill

i also have been debating getting an oil cooler. i just want as many saftey percautions as possible for my engine. obviesly besides my turbo. where did the ppl who do have it end up mounting it. and where do i tap in. can i tap in on my oil pan spacer?? FML if that was a dumb question
Old 07-10-2009, 05:11 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

+1 on the oil cooler (get a Mocal thermostatic adapter to plumb it in). If you ever build your motor and consider running Evans NPG+ (a must have in my book with built motors running FI), then having an upgraded cooling system with thick radiator becomes a necessity (because Evans dissipates heat poorly compared to water / one of the down sides). While you may not track the car, if you ever decide to push it at an event like ZdayZ, you'll quickly find the limits for the stock cooling system on a FI car.

That said, my coolant temps rarely peak 200, but my oil temps are in the 240s easily when pushing the car. I have every cooling mod. I had to upgrade my trans cooler recently and that helped a lot. Bottom line - buy the largest oil cooler you can fit and put it directly in front of airflow.

Quick Reply: Cooling System Upgrade Recommendations