Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

GTM turbo kit feedback thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:50 PM
finalfantasy316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey gtm any idea on what you think this stock block can handle safely before having to worry about it blowing. have you pushed any of your cars much past 500whp on the stock block? im sure its a common question but i just had to ask. thank you very much
Old 08-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Robs_350Z

I'm planning to buy a twin system really soon and from what I've gathered from all my searching, 400whp seems to be the max safe power level. I know more power is easily made with how efficient kit are getting, low boost big numbers.

I was just down at Sound Performance last week quietly creeping around the shop watching as they were bolting up a twin turbo kit on a Z, not sure if it was built or not. Even they'll tell you to build the block with the install to save on over all labor. I'm still undecided myself with whether or not I'll ask them to bolt their kit up to my stock block and run it for a year or two, after all my car is not an every day driver. I'd trust the advice of whatever shop you're working with.

Anyways, GTM is looking pretty good. Great price, seems like great costumer service, just a few mistakes here and there. Just wanted to post up/subscribe to the topic and see where things go.

Last edited by Robs_350Z; 08-05-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:29 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by finalfantasy316
hey gtm any idea on what you think this stock block can handle safely before having to worry about it blowing. have you pushed any of your cars much past 500whp on the stock block? im sure its a common question but i just had to ask. thank you very much
We have made 580+ on the VQ35HR and 600+ on the VQ37VHR, this was just for testing purposes and while both those cars are still running fine today, we do not recommend surpassing the 500rwhp mark on stock block to ensure optimum reliability.

But if you want to crank up the boost and see what happens, that is up to you

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Robs_350Z

What about those of us with DE's? I only have 15k miles on the block but it's still a concern to try to get another 10k miles driving it respectfully, with occasional abuse.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Lakeside

Considering a GTM Stage 2 kit with a OS Giken twin disk clutch. Are these kits in stock and ready to ship? If not how long of a wait?

Thanks

Kris
Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Robs_350Z
What about those of us with DE's? I only have 15k miles on the block but it's still a concern to try to get another 10k miles driving it respectfully, with occasional abuse.
around 400. With support mods/good tune. You are fine.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

With a DE block you should stay around 400RWHP. That is generally a safe limit but every car is different an no one can say that you will be 100% ok. There is always a risk involved when going F/I.

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-05-2009, 05:03 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Lakeside
Considering a GTM Stage 2 kit with a OS Giken twin disk clutch. Are these kits in stock and ready to ship? If not how long of a wait?

Thanks

Kris
Everything is in-stock minus the turbo chargers (hence why you have 9 different options) It is usually a 2 week wait time for shipment.

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Lakeside

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Everything is in-stock minus the turbo chargers (hence why you have 9 different options) It is usually a 2 week wait time for shipment.

-George
GT Motorsports

Now you have me confused. On your website there are Two kits.

-Tuner & Turn Key

With upto 4 stages to choose from.

So whats the 9 options?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Some stages have different a/r's on the same size turbo. That's where 9 comes from
Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM
thom000001

I have the SP TT kit on my DE. You probably saw Vito's car getting done.

I opted to build my motor from the very beginning even though my motor only had 17K miles. I know how I am and how I drive...so does Larry and Chris lol.

so I went from a max safe potential of 400rwhp.....to well I make just about double that on 110 octane.....literally......

tom

Old 08-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Robs_350Z

Originally Posted by thom000001
I have the SP TT kit on my DE. You probably saw Vito's car getting done.

I opted to build my motor from the very beginning even though my motor only had 17K miles. I know how I am and how I drive...so does Larry and Chris lol.

so I went from a max safe potential of 400rwhp.....to well I make just about double that on 110 octane.....literally......

tom

I think those of us who bolt or talk about boosting the stock block all know what's the right thing to do. But it just gets so itchy when you have the means to get the kit. Wouldn't mind doing it in stages at the expense of labor with the trade off of having fun sooner.

So Tom where can I see this SP G35 of yours light up the road? Any shows or meets coming up? Saw a few familiar cars at D1 but didn't know anyone.

Question to GTM.... Are 3" down pipes an option? I may have missed the size call out but I don't believe it's listed on the site. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:17 AM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

I think those of us who bolt or talk about boosting the stock block all know what's the right thing to do. But it just gets so itchy when you have the means to get the kit. Wouldn't mind doing it in stages at the expense of labor with the trade off of having fun sooner.

So Tom where can I see this SP G35 of yours light up the road? Any shows or meets coming up? Saw a few familiar cars at D1 but didn't know anyone.

Question to GTM.... Are 3" down pipes an option? I may have missed the size call out but I don't believe it's listed on the site. Thanks.
Yes the GTM 3" down pipes with external waste gates are an options, here is a link:

http://gtmotorsports.com/product.php?productid=16871

There is nothing wrong with boosting your car on the stock block first, then building down the road. People have been doing this for years - some with better luck than others. As long as you don't beat the car to hell and keep a reasonable power level you should be ok on the stock block, but there are not guarantees when it comes to boost+stock block.

My car was boosted for 2 years on the stock block before I built it, it finally blew when I cranked it up to 550rwhp and took it to Willow Springs.

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Robs_350Z

Wow.... I guess beating the car at the track would be asking for it.

Thanks for the advise. I understand there's never a guaratees with boosting. I've boosted the past two cars I've owned and have had mixed experiences, mostly install related. Never been one to take advice and burn anyone else but myself. After all it's my choice, can't blame anyone else.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 AM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Many guys have had good experiences with stock block setups at 400rwhp. Keep up on the maintenance, respect the car, and you should be fine

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 AM
thom000001

SP's tomorrow after 5pm,

GLD on sat (import wars)

all part of the chi2k9 supra event.

tom

Old 08-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Robs_350Z

Thanks for the advice George. As much as everyone would advise against bolting it to stock block, I'll probably do it anyways. The block would most likely come out twice anyways even if I did the short block and turbo kit together, only because I wouldn't be patient enough to the entire long block (cams and all) and would probably pull it again.

Tom, I've been planning on making it to GLD for import wars. Haven't been to one this year yet.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thom000001
SP's tomorrow after 5pm,

GLD on sat (import wars)

all part of the chi2k9 supra event.

tom
Wait!!! NOT TO OT BUT DID YOU SAY GLD ON SAT? We are bringing the 2JZ RWD Probe tomorrow!

Care to race?

Last edited by Quamen; 08-07-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Update for my build..
my mechanic called me and told me the installation went good and everything bolted up like it meant to be for the turbos, pipes and cooler. I just need to get him the spark plugs to install while he install the injectors today and will install the downpipes and WG's pipes after I get the transmission/clutch parts later this week.<<< for more info https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/4495...r-problem.html
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 PM
tomster

I love my car and my GTM turbo kit .

Here is link to my build

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...p-500rwtq.html

Last edited by tomster; 08-20-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: .

Quick Reply: GTM turbo kit feedback thread