Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

GTM turbo kit feedback thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

revup would be the same as a non-revup.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:06 PM
fart_canon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also had my share of bad luck getting GTM to answer back my e-mails and phone calls. I am very interested in one of their kits but their lack of response worries me, specially since this isn't a $100 part I am buying.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gee3point5Mhmm
Any instructions for a revup G35?
It is the same as the 350z expect the two intake piping and the G retains the factory coolant reservoir.

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...ml#post8249457

Sam

Last edited by Sam@GTM; 03-26-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Originally Posted by fart_canon
I have also had my share of bad luck getting GTM to answer back my e-mails and phone calls. I am very interested in one of their kits but their lack of response worries me, specially since this isn't a $100 part I am buying.
Pm me your phone # and i will be more then happy to call you.

Sam
Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 PM
nathanwl2004

although I've not had a whole bunch of dealing with him, I had PMed sam a couple times about this kit before I started this thread and he always got back to me very promptly with the exact info that I needed

still working on putting together all the funds to go the turnkey route but hopefully tax return time should be just around the corner
Old 04-02-2010, 03:23 PM
tengui

Default Ausi Order.

Hi Sam,

Hope my order shipped yesterday because ive gotta head back O/S soon.

Mike you should have never told me this order would take 3 weeks to fill. We are pushing close to 6 months and I still don't have any parts.

Tengui
Old 04-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Goo$e
Banned

Originally Posted by tengui
Hi Sam,

Mike you should have never told me this order would take 3 weeks to fill. We are pushing close to 6 months and I still don't have any parts.

Tengui
Call Sam directly on the phone.

Last edited by Goo$e; 09-28-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:49 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by tengui
Hi Sam,

Tengui

ouch
Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 PM
nathanwl2004

just out of curiosity how many people have installed this kit themselves and how difficult was the install. obviously no TT kit is going to be easy to install, but I'm just curious what issues were encountered?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 AM
tengui

not applicable at this stage...

Last edited by tengui; 04-13-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Wanted to include my invoice.,..
Old 09-11-2010, 02:29 PM
nismofreak1208

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

whew, this is some reading, but haven't found any info on a certain subject. I am aware GTM revised their intake pipes to fit the stock struct bar, but what about the front core support brace that comes with the Nismo's? any info would help, trying to crush all my worries before diving into this purchase.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nismofreak1208
whew, this is some reading, but haven't found any info on a certain subject. I am aware GTM revised their intake pipes to fit the stock struct bar, but what about the front core support brace that comes with the Nismo's? any info would help, trying to crush all my worries before diving into this purchase.
Do you mean the one in front of the radiator? That is retained with the GTM kit.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:38 AM
Lost350z

Hi, I am new to this forum. Just managed to know about this forum and registered as a user an hour ago.

I think I will be in good position to offer some feedbacks soon as I have already placed and paid for my order with GTM.

Have purchased the TT and some cooling parts. Was told by sam that it will be send out last friday 10th sept. So my guess this coming week I will be recieving something. As I am from Singapore, maybe the longest it will take would be a week for them to deliver the items by Fed Ex.

Cheeeers to all 350z lovers : )
Old 10-03-2010, 02:16 AM
fla350tt

Originally Posted by nathanwl2004
just out of curiosity how many people have installed this kit themselves and how difficult was the install. obviously no TT kit is going to be easy to install, but I'm just curious what issues were encountered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George@GTM View Post
Jason,

I am truly sorry about your situation and can relate to your problems based on experiences with my own car. Unfortunately things don't always go as planned and the project keeps getting delayed - sometimes there are things that we cannot control.

I am sorry one of the turbos were incorrect, we were very busy and somehow missed that Garret had sent us a mis-matched set. It was our fault, and we will be more careful to make sure it never happens again. We will PayPal you the $13 for shipping that it cost you to ship back the part.

As far as these other fitment issues this is the first we are hearing of them, we haven't had any other complaints and would appreciate as much feedback as possible so if there is a problem we can correct it ASAP.

We have revised our intake piping since the original kit and would be glad to send you the revised piping to make you happy, although I don't think it will at this point. When we received your turbos we had them inspected ASAP, they were tested, with out oil restrictiors, and they are perfectly fine - no oil is passing through the seals. It was odd that both turbos would be bad.

So as you can see, the issue that has gotten you so frustrated is out of our control as well - the product is fine and has no defects, this could only lead to and installation issue or some other odd coincidence at play.

Your drain lines could be too low, if you were trying to get a better angle than what we have in the instructions by placing the return lower in the pan it could be causing the oil to back up in the turbo. Another cause could be that your crank case is being pressurized and blowing oil through your PCV into the intake track. What ever the cause it was not a faulty turbo as we all thought.

As you can see this is a bad situation for us as well, because now you are unhappy with us because of something that was beyond our control.

We are still here to help if you need anything, just let us know - our number one priority is your satisfaction.

P.S. Please don't take this as us putting the blame on you or anyone, we just want you to understand our perspective.

-George
GT Motorsports
I must add my 2 cents here. I have the stg 2 w/ open dump and was questioned by Sam if I had problems with the install of the right side waste gate tube. And yes I did have to beat the wastegate tube flat to get it installed.Then the wastegate was rubbing against lower control arm on passenger side. And other items were 2 ic piping clamps. intercooler bracket mounting bolts were to short for new aluminum brkt. and down pipe flange and gasket had to be dremelled also. So some one did know of the problems. My heart beat is very rapid right now to hear about the problems still exsist and you have no idea of the installation problems. I really do not want to bash here but I did have problems getting a call back at times to get the issues solved in a timely manner. Ground shipping the clamps sucked when that was all I needed to finish my install. But I will say that the performance of the kit made me forget about the little problems in the end. Let me repeat myself 500hp @ 12psi and I only run 8psi trying to keep tires from spinning but there is no stopping that. And for informational purposes if George does read this, the only way I could fix the problem with the wastegate tube was to cut it and reweld. And in the long run of the installation put a good clutch in before the turbo kit. you can not get transmission out once the kit is in,so when the stock clutch went in 200 miles, I pulled off the drivers side exhaust piping and the passengers side wastegate tube,installed twin disk, and cut both wastegate tubes cut tubes in half added flanges so the next time the trans. could be removed without taken the whole drivers side exhaust out. Which happens to be the worst area to get to.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:39 AM
fla350tt

There are so many little thing, since it has been a while since I did the install I might forget a few things.
*install good clutch
1.removing studs from head- a 12 point socket will fit the end
2. I think I had to take the heat shields off to get to stuff later in the build, just put them on before the charged piping at the end.
3. Mounting the turbos were the worst thing, I cut the wrench and had to grind it so I could rotate the wrench for enough.
4. once the passenger side turbo is installed put the silicon coupler on the compressor outlet and you can adj. the housing so the coupler is not rubbing against anything and tight the bolts before the exhaust is in place. You can see the angle on page 109 of the instructions pic. r
5. The water inlet banjo bolts were a pain too, I had to make a tool to get these tight. I cut a piece of socket(7/8) and welded a smaller nut to the piece. I can post a pic. no room to rotate a 7/8 wench in there. These things leaked for weeks after the install was done.
6. I had to buy a carbide bit for the dremel tool to grind the exhaust gasket and pipe flange holes to fit on the turbo. The next thing was I used nuts and washers to mount the down pipe to the turbo. The flanged nuts they supply hit the welds and can cause the studs to bend causing problems latter in life.Also the O2 sensor should be put in know In the top holes. skip the middle holes, there spares.
7. For external waste gates tubes- I did use allen heads here too. The pass. side waste gate tube and down pipe both had to be beaten with a hammer(2 pound sledge, stainless is hard). hopefully there tooling has been changed to correct the problem.
8. the cross brace under the car that connects to the exhaust and trans. did not fit and never made into the car.
9. I had to buy new screws to mount the intercooler brackets.
10. The oil distribution block goes on the front of the engine between the engine and oil pressure sending unit. It seemed like there were specific hole locations for everything here.
11. On the the piping not all of the support brackets lined up with the intended locations. I never corrected this.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:44 AM
fla350tt

I also had a bad oil line and had to have one made. And get the retune for the computer ahead of time just in case you finish at an odd hour.
Attached Thumbnails GTM turbo kit feedback thread-img_0130.jpg   GTM turbo kit feedback thread-img_0131.jpg   GTM turbo kit feedback thread-img_0132.jpg  
Old 10-03-2010, 03:48 AM
fla350tt

Default oil pan

I forgot about the oil pan leaking after everything. I had taken this thing apart 2 times after first install and still it leaked. I ended up buy some material for autozone and made a gasket, problem fixed.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:58 AM
MDK

I guess I'm in the minority here but I really didn't have a single major fitment issue for the entire install. I have the gt28rs turbos so that may have something to do with it. The only piece that didn't fit was the passenger side air intake. I'm still working on a proper fix for that, none of the parts that GTM has for this work with my stock 04 bumper. The other minor thing is that it sounds like the driver's side charge pipe that sits behind the radiator is contacting my sway bar under hard acceleration/cornering. I won't fault GTM on this since my car is lowered which makes that part of the sway bar ride higher. I think either an after market sway bar or a tq damper might fix this.

I'm surprised more people don't take the motor out to install the turbos. With the amount of stuff that has to come off anyway, its not too many more steps to just pull the motor, doubly so if you're going to be upgrading the clutch at the same time. Installing the turbos is a breeze with the motor on a stand. The only difficult part was connecting the external wastegate pipes to the manifolds once the motor was in the car. If I had to do it again I might try putting the motor back in the car with the exhaust in place.

There were a handful of missing pieces that I discovered during the install, most of them were on the fuel system which didn't have a nice checklist like the turbo kit did. Seriously guys, the checklist is a great tool to make sure you don't have downtime on your install. Thoroughly check in every part of the kit and you'll be sure you have everything before you start. The missing pieces I did encounter were shipped out very fast with the exception of the steering coupler which was delayed because the manufacturer of that item couldn't produce it.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:10 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

About to bite the bullet on a GTM Twin turbo kit, anyone else have any feedback on issues with this kit? GTM is local to me so getting replacement parts shouldn't be an issue but I want to make sure the install is as smooth as possible for the shop who is performing the job. They had major issues doing a g37 gtm twin turbo install and are concerned about the 350z kit even though they've not done 1 yet.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Ordered the kit recently. I'll report back and let everyone know how the install went

Quick Reply: GTM turbo kit feedback thread