Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

GTM turbo kit feedback thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Germanguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because of the gtm kit the hr has to sit 0,6mm higher then before. Gtm lays this steering coupler down. We drove the first test drives today, also at 110 mph and we think this steering coupler is too unprecise because you dont steer the first 0,5cm with the steering wheel ;/. Someone got this problem?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
350z 6spd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I know this probably sounds stupid but did you check both of the set screws on the steering coupler?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:32 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

because of the gtm kit the hr has to sit 0,6mm higher then before. Gtm lays this steering coupler down. We drove the first test drives today, also at 110 mph and we think this steering coupler is too unprecise because you dont steer the first 0,5cm with the steering wheel ;/. Someone got this problem?

Can you explain more plz?
Old 10-02-2009, 04:58 AM
Germanguy

Originally Posted by 350z 6spd
^ I know this probably sounds stupid but did you check both of the set screws on the steering coupler?
thank you. but this wasnt the problem. we had to build an own gadget to get away from this problem.

@midz350
I live in Germany and we have the "Autobahn", where you can speed up to the max. So we testdrove at higher mileage/speed, and we noticed, that the steering wheel didnt do the "oem"-perfect job like before, because this steering coupler which is not as precise and perfect like the oem. you mainly notice it at higher speeds, because your ~0,4 cm steering wheel handling will do nothing to the front wheels!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

So there is some slight play in the coupler that permits movement in the steering wheel that is not transmitted to the rest of the steering column (distal to the coupler)? Have you tried replacing the coupler - perhaps a manufacturing aberration?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:05 AM
midz350

Originally Posted by Germanguy
thank you. but this wasnt the problem. we had to build an own gadget to get away from this problem.

@midz350
I live in Germany and we have the "Autobahn", where you can speed up to the max. So we testdrove at higher mileage/speed, and we noticed, that the steering wheel didnt do the "oem"-perfect job like before, because this steering coupler which is not as precise and perfect like the oem. you mainly notice it at higher speeds, because your ~0,4 cm steering wheel handling will do nothing to the front wheels!
I did drive my car with the GTM HR TT kit up to 160mph a couple of times (in our Autobahn ) and didn't notice anything unusual with the steering wheel.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Germanguy

Originally Posted by rcdash
So there is some slight play in the coupler that permits movement in the steering wheel that is not transmitted to the rest of the steering column (distal to the coupler)? Have you tried replacing the coupler - perhaps a manufacturing aberration?
exactly. No oem doesnt fit cause the Motor sits 0,6cm higher than before. My tuner build something now it works
Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Originally Posted by Germanguy
Alex

I would double check the installation of the st couplers or have your installer call us to figure out the problem
installing the coupler should be straight forward and you should not have any of thees issues your describing .

Sam
Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 AM
SmallTuner

on my DE no issue, it drives like stock
Old 11-20-2009, 05:23 PM
2fasst

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems that GTM put together a very high-end kit, however, like some members have stated, they need better quality control/assurance...atleast with packaging checkoff before shipping out.

Sam and the crew at GTM, please don't take this as smack talk, but a concern of a consumer. There is nothing more frustrating than to be missing parts/wrong parts discovered during an install. Sure we should check the parts list before starting the project but sometimes we don't know if the part won't fit or wrong part until it's time to put it on. This is especially true for rookies or first-timers. Then the down time waiting for parts, tying up some shop's engine bay for days or weeks not to mention being out of transportation or being charged extra for occupying space.

Sam, I know you've come on here and apologized for that and thank you for doing that. But the problem seems to come from more than one customer. You offered no reassurance how this packaging problem would be resolved or improved. Perhaps a parts check off list, verified by 2 individuals prior to shipping?

I'm budgeting for a twin-turbo kit early next year as my tax returns. As much as I want a GTM kit, issues like this does come into considering when considering which kit to get. In this age of the internet both good news and bad news travel far. I know I'm not alone on this.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by 2fasst; 11-20-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:54 PM
fla350tt

Default check list

They do have a very nice check list and most is accounted for. Some of the hardware problems are due to changes in parts and the hardware was not changed. And then some hardware is just screwed up. Of the problems I had they could be worked around by going to the hardware store. The biggest problem i had was a bad oil pressure line, the second I fired it up, it start spew in oil. Had to have one made at a hydraulic shop. Sam says 2-3 day for them to do the install of the kit,more like 5-6 though.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 AM
tengui

First post on the MY 350Z forums. I'm in Australia. Have quite a large order with GTM atm. Approx 29K US. Placed my final order about 7 weeks ago. Not a lot of communication in regards to when my order will ship. Im sure a lot of different parts from different vendors and good things always take time. Built block and TT Kit etc. Will definitely post back and let everyone know how this transaction progresses. I just hope my install doesn't have to be sidelined due to missing components. Please guys make it all good. Expectations are high....

Last edited by tengui; 12-14-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:19 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tengui
First post on the MY 350Z forums. I'm in Australia. Have quite a large order with GTM atm. Approx 29K US. Placed my final order about 7 weeks ago. Not a lot of communication in regards to when my order will ship. Im sure a lot of different parts from different vendors and good things always take time. Built block and TT Kit etc. Will definitely post back and let everyone know how this transaction progresses. I just hope my install doesn't have to be sidelined due to missing components. Please guys make it all good. Expectations are high....
Hey Jeremy!

First off, I would like to thank you for your order and it is going to be a really impressive setup. I'm really excited for you. We appreciate your business and you are going to thoroughly enjoy this package.

In regards to lack of communication, I'm a bit confused as I feel that I have answered every one of your phone calls and e-mails. As I have expressed to you previously, this is indeed a large order and will take some time to get together for you. After all, this is a full engine build (long block w/cams), twin turbo kit, LSD, oil cooler, diff cooler w/temperature controlled pump, front and rear big brake kit. I also told you that we should be done with everything and have it all shipped out by Christmas.

Thanks!
-Mike
Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by fla350tt
They do have a very nice check list and most is accounted for. Some of the hardware problems are due to changes in parts and the hardware was not changed. And then some hardware is just screwed up. Of the problems I had they could be worked around by going to the hardware store. The biggest problem i had was a bad oil pressure line, the second I fired it up, it start spew in oil. Had to have one made at a hydraulic shop. Sam says 2-3 day for them to do the install of the kit,more like 5-6 though.
I'm sorry to hear of your experience, did you happen to contact us regarding the issues you had?

In regards to hardware issues, we are always looking for ways to improve our products and quality control. We want to avoid any frustrations on the part of our customers and installers, and have implemented a secondary control system to improve our products and service. Afterall, if we don't get it right the first time, it costs us in shipping to make things right for our customers.

Ultimately, we want feedback so that we know what we are doing right and what we need to improve. Thank you for bringing these things to our attention so that we can get them resolved.

Thanks,
-Mike
Old 02-19-2010, 01:54 PM
nightcrawler_8

Order placed ... wooooooot...
Old 02-19-2010, 07:44 PM
midz350

^^ you will love it.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:14 PM
nathanwl2004

still waiting on tax returns and other cash flow
Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Goo$e
Banned

I'm suppose to get my car back "this week"..............but...............I bet it will be 2-3 weeks.................but...................that's.......... ........ok..............with......................me........ ...........
Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Modme

I also experienced the steering couple play problem. Anyone find a solution? Is it just my coupler or is this something common to GTM kits?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Gee3point5Mhmm

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
When this thread was posted I was going to keep my involvement to a minimum, after all it is for customer feed back and that type of feed back is what will allow us to improve our product and services. I will be the first to admit that there were some issues brought up that need to be addressed and we took them very seriously.

We do apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused, having said that I can assure everyone that we will not stop until we have met and exceeded your expectations.

Here at GTM we believe in doing things right the first time, arguably we have built and installed more turbo systems on the Z and G than any other company in the world. On average we have anywhere between 30 to 40 cars in our shop that are sent to us from all over the country and outside the US, just by looking at the shop build section you can see that. We always followed a simple rule: Nothing ever leaves the shop until it is 100 % done right, and passes several QC checks.

Now when we decided to become a turbo systems manufacturer, we took the same approach and we didn't spare any effort or expense in doing so. Having installed many JWT,APS, HKS and GReddy turbo systems we wanted to come back with some thing better and far superior in quaility, completeness, and upgradability - we wanted to come back with the ultimate forced induction solution period. Even when it comes to R&D cars we purchased designated cars for that purpose, from a 350Z DE to a 350Z Rev-up, 350Z HR, 370ZVHR, G35 and a G37.

One of the things we wanted to offer with our turbo system is upgrade-ability. And we have seen many customer have to switch kits two or three times we wanted to come back with a turbo system that can grow with your power needs so when some one goes FI on a stock engine and then a year later wants to build a 1000 WHP car they can start with a stage one or two then when the time comes they can install a dual GT35R and not have to replace the turbo kit. We are the only company that have such a capabilty with 6 stages and 9 different turbo options which also makes the kit installation a little more technical than other kits

So we spend a great amount of time trying to come back with the most comprehensive tear down procedures, parts list, and installation manual.

Here is some of this info .....

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/Manuals..._G37_Coupe.pdf

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/Manuals...ual_350ZHR.pdf

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/Manuals...ist_350ZHR.pdf

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/Manuals...own_350ZHR.pdf

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/Manuals...ual_350ZDE.pdf

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/Manuals...ist_350ZDE.pdf

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/Manuals...own_350ZDE.pdf

And we are continually updating and improving our instructions

Sam

GT MOTORSPORTS
Any instructions for a revup G35?